PDA

View Full Version : National Trails Day, 2005

TJ aka Teej
05-30-2005, 18:13
This year National Trails Day is Saturday, June 4th. http://www.americanhiking.org/ (http://www.americanhiking.org/) Last year we went to an event in Bethel, Maine, met up with Bluebearee and other Trail friends, hiked in Grafton Notch, saw lots of gear demos and had quite a bit of fun. This year I'll be splashing up the AT in Maine on NTD. I was wondering if any WhiteBlazers have plans for this weekend?
Teej

attroll
05-30-2005, 19:44
Where is NTD in Maine this year, is it still in Bethal? I would have liked to attend but I have to admit I forgot about it and made plans for the 4th.

briarpatch
05-30-2005, 20:21
The Georgia Appalachain Trail Club is going to be coordinating NTD activities from Amicalola State Park. Activities will include trail maintenance, hiking, games, and demonstrations, according to the club's newsletter.

Tha Wookie
05-30-2005, 20:36
I will be joining Walt Cook and his trail builders at Sandy Creek Nature Center for an AHS event, including the final workday for that trail section that extends into Athens downtown area. It's an awesome trail!

I want to get a gang of thru-hikers to go to the event... anyone interested in learning more?

See you june 4th hopefully!

Roland
05-30-2005, 20:56
Navigate to the following link, and select a state to learn about National Trails Day events in your area.

http://www.americanhiking.org/events/ntd/events.html

Roland

MOWGLI
05-30-2005, 21:12
On behalf of American Hiking Society, I hope that each of you will search the Natonal Trails Day database at the link above (see Roland's post), and attend an event near you. There are over 1000 event planned across the U.S.

Not one in your area? Why not organize a cleanup, or a hike? Take a group of kids out on a trail.

I'll be with the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association at the Villanow Work Center in Villanow, GA (near Dalton) in the morning, and at the Lula Lake Land Trust in the afternoon.

Jeffrey Hunter

TJ aka Teej
05-30-2005, 22:30
Where is NTD in Maine this year, is it still in Bethal? I would have liked to attend but I have to admit I forgot about it and made plans for the 4th.Hi ATT,
The Bethel event is at Bethel Outdoors Adventures again this year, but I think it's lots smaller than last time. The Mahoosuc Land Trust folks are this year's main sponsor. I've had this hike planned for quite a while so I never really looked hard at who was doing what where this June 4th. Like always I'll have my pack saw and garbage bags, so I'll do my part while hiking :D

snowman
06-07-2005, 15:21
This is my first post on WhiteBlaze!! I'm looking forward to posting frequently and I'm sure my time here will be educational and enjoyable.

I took my kids (8 yr old boy and fellow hiking addict and my 17 month old daughter) out hiking on one of our favorite area trails while my wife was at work. We picked up any trash we found and talked about nature and hiking along the way. What a wonderful way to celebrate National Trails Day!!

MOWGLI
06-07-2005, 16:15
This is my first post on WhiteBlaze!! I'm looking forward to posting frequently and I'm sure my time here will be educational and enjoyable.

I took my kids (8 yr old boy and fellow hiking addict and my 17 month old daughter) out hiking on one of our favorite area trails while my wife was at work. We picked up any trash we found and talked about nature and hiking along the way. What a wonderful way to celebrate National Trails Day!!

Snowman:

On behalf of American Hiking Society, thank you for doing your part, and for helping to cultivate the next generation of trail leaders!

Jeffrey Hunter

AbeHikes
06-07-2005, 16:34
The Georgia Appalachain Trail Club is going to be coordinating NTD activities from Amicalola State Park. Activities will include trail maintenance, hiking, games, and demonstrations, according to the club's newsletter.
Some old friends and I had a picnic there Saturday at the top of the falls. Didn't realize that it was NTD. We met down there near the swings, etc where you were all cooking out before heading up. Some of us had skipped lunch and contemplated crashing the party for those hamburgers on the grill that were driving us crazy.

Maybe I'll catch you next year.