PDA

View Full Version : Supplies?

Caitlan
01-03-2013, 16:00
Hi fellow AT enthusiasts! My name is Caitlan and I'm new to this particular site but I am not new to the AT! I am planning a thru hike in the spring of this year, probably around the end of may/beginning of April. I am Hiking NOBO with my fiance. So far, we have been mainly prepping ourselves with food and other little things here and there. This seems absolutely absurd for asking, but I was wondering if anyone has any old supplies or gear laying around that they are not using and would be willing to donate it to my fiance and I. I am in no way shape or form asking for money. I'm just simply going through a very rough patch which may end up getting in the way of our AT trip. (I'm sure many of you are as well) He is registering with the US army next January and this is our last trip together. We have been training for about 8 months for this trip and there is nothing that I want more than to experience the AT. Absolutely anything can and will be immensely appreciated and welcome to make our trip possible. Let me know and we can make arrangements.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2013, 16:04
hmmmm. you really need to buy your own stuff for your vacation

Drybones
01-03-2013, 16:12
I'd say what you've been using for the past 8 months should get you from GA to ME.

pbr
01-03-2013, 17:16
Careful! You might end up with a donated 10 pound pack!

Caitlan
01-03-2013, 17:24
Careful! You might end up with a donated 10 pound pack!

Well that wouldn't be too bad! I don't want this to be a luxurious hike, I just need a little help with some of just the bare minimum items. I used to have a lot of camping gear but I don't have that much since our garage got broken into in '10.

RED-DOG
01-03-2013, 17:37
I am very sorry about your garage getting broken in to but i don't have any gear that i can give away but i am positive that their's some folks out there that does and can give you some gear, Happy hiking and go with GOD. RED-DOG

JAK
01-04-2013, 17:48
It really isn't about the gear. Gear and clothing can be very cheap and still be light. Best way to prepare is with weekend hikes, build it, test it, test yourself. Also learn to live frugal on the trail by saving money now. Eat real food but buy it cheap from grocery stores. Find out what has the best calories AND NUTRITION for the buck.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

S'more
01-04-2013, 19:17
hmmmm. you really need to buy your own stuff for your vacation

If you have been training, don't you have a lot of gear already?

S'more
01-04-2013, 19:22
It really isn't about the gear. .....

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Haunt Goodwill and Salvation Army. LOTS of good stores locally. Think LKN area.

Drybones
01-04-2013, 20:12
Haunt Goodwill and Salvation Army. LOTS of good stores locally. Think LKN area.

Some of my best clothing came from a thrift store.

JAK
01-04-2013, 20:18
Same here. Value Village. Frenchies. Marden's in Maine.

S'more
01-04-2013, 20:19
Same here. Value Village. Frenchies. Marden's in Maine.

Yeah- there's a Value Village in mooresville that has great stuff! Been there, bought that!

JAK
01-04-2013, 20:39
I saw a show about some crazy thrifty people on tv, but one guy had a cool idea. He had a coat he liked and it needed dry cleaning, so he gave it to Value Village and bought it back after they dry cleaned it. Cheaper that way. lol

S'more
01-04-2013, 20:49
I saw a show about some crazy thrifty people on tv, but one guy had a cool idea. He had a coat he liked and it needed dry cleaning, so he gave it to Value Village and bought it back after they dry cleaned it. Cheaper that way. lol
Not sure it would be dry cleaned after it was donated; but cool. My luck is I wouldn't get back in time to get it!

jj2044
01-04-2013, 20:56
Ok, this is another one of those times i dont understand people. if you are unable to afford (cheap) gear. why would you try to hike 6 months the AT ?? you can go to walmart and get all new gear for 200-300, not light or small or anywhere near the best, but gear.

nu2hike
01-05-2013, 15:00
Best guess is that the OP is just hoping to get something for nothing! I bet she's counting on the of adage about a " sucker being born every minute" . I hope I'm wrong and if so I apologize in advance, but it irks me when people ask for handouts to take a vacation!

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 15:11
I am in the military and understand the desire to go on another big trip before your fiance leaves... I warn you though... It may not be pleasant in this situation. The AT can make or break a relationship. If your strapped for cash right now... it WILL be VERY hard to survive on the trail, its not cheap. Yes you can be frugal, but its still not cheap. If your out of money it is going to cause discomfort - not able to stay places you want to stay - heavy gear = injuries. I would advise that you find some day hikes you can go on, that would be much easier. Drive and leave the car... hike up and down and move to the next location. Maybe consider doing a set of mountains or something. This will allow you to travel with nothing more than a day pack and a water bottle and the essential day stuff. Lots cheaper and lots less stress. Would hate to see a negative experience from this.

captain insano
01-05-2013, 16:31
I am planning a thru hike in the spring of this year, probably around the end of may/beginning of April."

ya might wanna learn the months of the year before hiking the AT

Dogwood
01-05-2013, 16:43
Sniff Sniff Doesn't smell right. Troll alert meter is in the red zone.

Maddoxsjohnston
01-06-2013, 11:35
Why would someone break into a garage and steal backpacking gear

daddytwosticks
01-06-2013, 11:51
Why would someone break into a garage and steal backpacking gear Maybe another hard-up potential thru-hiker. :)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 11:55
Why would someone break into a garage and steal backpacking gear

they was tired of bein' a packsniffer

Onrust
01-06-2013, 23:36
Hey give her a break she is 19, she asked for yoyr old crap. Most hikers up grade every couple of years. Cant blame her for trying.

pyroman9
01-06-2013, 23:44
I am not here to give her crap, as I do not think i did in my first post... just a warning about how they may have a misconception about the trail and may want to reconsider their plans... there are many better ways to get outdoors that they would have more fun with... this sounds like a recipe for a very bad time and possibly damaging to a relationship.

The Cleaner
01-07-2013, 00:28
What ever happens to their relationship is not what concerns me.What most likely will happen is that they will get on the trail and leave a path of destruction as they hike.Leaving behind at shelters wet&dirty cotton clothes,green tree stumps,half burned litter filled firepits and who knows what else.Imagine getting to a shelter and finding them there wet,cold and hungry.Would you be able to fire up your stove and fix a nice trail meal while they sit and stare at you like a lost hound dog?IMO these people don't have a clue (except what they have read&seen on the web) about LDX hiking.Yes many 1st timers have made successful trips but there's some part of their sad story they're leaving out.Reminds me of hikers in the late 70's who said that they were hiking the trail by working for their stay at hostels and getting odd jobs here&there.Well I hate to discourage them but that kind of hiking doesn't work anymore.They should do a little car camping&day hikes and do a thru hike when they have the proper gear and money to support their hiking......

4Bears
01-07-2013, 08:21
Hi fellow AT enthusiasts! My name is Caitlan and I'm new to this particular site but I am not new to the AT! OK
I am planning a thru hike in the spring of this year, probably around the end of may/beginning of April. Not yet sure?? It is January you might want to narrow this down.
we have been mainly prepping ourselves with food and other little things here and there. On any hike I have done FOOD wasn't a "little thing"
He is registering with the US army next January. I thought you register for the draft and join the Army
We have been training for about 8 months for this trip I'm sorry but just now looking for a handout?
and there is nothing that I want more than to experience the AT. This seems inconsistent with above
I used to have a lot of camping gear but I don't have that much since our garage got broken into in '10. But not replaced any, even in the "... training for about 8 months...", nice addition after the fact, but makes it sound like a 19 yo has been on her own for over 2 years
Sorry folks I see only the inconsistent parts of this story, maybe I have become calloused in my years. I agree with LW that you need to pay for your own vacation. If you are asking for handouts now, just how far will you go before running out of cash. I think you would be better off doing day trips in FL, as any underfunded vacation is just asking for trouble. IMHO

4Bears
01-07-2013, 09:49
In the off chance I may have seemed totally harsh and unsympathetic here is a link for some free gear you can make yourself.
http://supercatstove.com/makeSupercat.php

Maddoxsjohnston
01-07-2013, 09:54
Don't waste your time, this is a troll account with troll posts. Who trains for the trail for 8 months yet has no money for gear (or gear for that matter).

gizzy bear
01-07-2013, 10:53
Don't waste your time, this is a troll account with troll posts. Who trains for the trail for 8 months yet has no money for gear (or gear for that matter).

troll....and there are about 6 other new troll accts out there as well...IMO...but this thread was a bit interesting, listening to some of the responses from the non-trolls :eek: .... but i just hope no one is foolish enough to send ANYTHING to people like this....

gizzy bear
01-07-2013, 11:30
troll....and there are about 6 other new troll accts out there as well...IMO...but this thread was a bit interesting, listening to some of the responses from the non-trolls :eek: .... but i just hope no one is foolish enough to send ANYTHING to people like this....

actually this isn't the thread that was interesting it was the thread that he/she sarted about the thru hike with $1000...my bad.... but still a troll :)

Omaha_Ace
01-07-2013, 11:38

Am I a troll? :| I'm new...

Rasty
01-07-2013, 11:56
Am I a troll? :| I'm new...

No, your posts are all somewhat sane and normal. Somewhat sane and normal is the Whiteblaze norm. Maybe try posting in vietnamese next time if your going for the troll/spammer look!

Omaha_Ace
01-07-2013, 12:23
No, your posts are all somewhat sane and normal. Somewhat sane and normal is the Whiteblaze norm. Maybe try posting in vietnamese next time if your going for the troll/spammer look!

Tốt. tôi đă lo lắng rằng có lẽ tất cả các bạn sẽ từ chối tôi như một người điên.

Rasty
01-07-2013, 12:27
Tốt. tôi đă lo lắng rằng có lẽ tất cả các bạn sẽ từ chối tôi như một người điên.

Now your getting it "Madman"

Omaha_Ace
01-07-2013, 12:37
Now your getting it "Madman"

Have I been given a board nickname already? Sweet.

Rasty
01-07-2013, 12:41
Have I been given a board nickname already? Sweet.

It's got to be better then RASTY

Omaha_Ace
01-07-2013, 12:45
It's got to be better then RASTY

I did a 4.5 mile snow hike (mostly....sort of... on trail) Saturday, and a friend's wife called me "scary" when I was talking about it later that night - so maybe Madman fits ;) I'll take it!

How did you come by Rasty?

Rasty
01-07-2013, 12:53
I did a 4.5 mile snow hike (mostly....sort of... on trail) Saturday, and a friend's wife called me "scary" when I was talking about it later that night - so maybe Madman fits ;) I'll take it!

How did you come by Rasty?

An abreviated version of origional user name

middle to middle
01-07-2013, 12:58
Didn't Grandma Gatewood do it with a trench coat and a paper sack ?

T

S'more
01-07-2013, 17:49

If there really one foolish enough to send or wants to make a donation.... I have an idea. :D :D :D

Seriously have an idea, but seriously DO NOT want donations, yet. If it starts coming to fruition, funding should come from the right sources (grants).

S'more
01-07-2013, 17:51
actually this isn't the thread that was interesting it was the thread that he/she sarted about the thru hike with $1000...my bad.... but still a troll :)

There were a few that sounded like all the same person to me, just with different names. Just sayin'.

Blue Mountain Edward
02-02-2013, 23:10
If you start in Georgia in spring you could pick up dropped gear and food at shelters or hostel hiker boxes. Make your own alky stove, use a kitchen saucepan for a pot. Eat lots of rice and beans, canned goods just outside of towns. Now would be a good time to hit the Florida Trail. Do you know how much a bus or tain ticket from Maine to Florida costs? That $1000 is about $700 after you subtract a bus or train ticket from it.

aficion
02-02-2013, 23:25
If you start in Georgia in spring you could pick up dropped gear and food at shelters or hostel hiker boxes. Make your own alky stove, use a kitchen saucepan for a pot. Eat lots of rice and beans, canned goods just outside of towns. Now would be a good time to hit the Florida Trail. Do you know how much a bus or tain ticket from Maine to Florida costs? That $1000 is about $700 after you subtract a bus or train ticket from it.
Megabus way cheaper.

theinfamousj
02-09-2013, 16:44
Megabus way cheaper.

Megabus doesn't go to Florida. Alas.

I am a huge patron of Megabus and have family in Florida. If it went there, I would visit them more than I do.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2