PDA

View Full Version : late bloomers : who else is starting in May?

dancingbear
01-03-2013, 16:46
finishing high school dictates that my hiking partner and I start our thru in late May. We fast pack and are dead set on making Maine before the big mountain shuts its doors. anyone else starting late?

Airman
01-03-2013, 17:46
Why not start the following year where you can enjoy it. Rushing something such as the trail is a total waste of time. Imagine what you will miss by rushing it.

SCRUB HIKER
01-03-2013, 19:07
For God's sake ignore the guy who just posted. You'll hike the exact same trail at the exact same speed as everyone else, you'll just do it in slightly longer days and with fewer stops for rest. People start in May all the time for whatever reason. I have a friend who started June 8 and made it. Best of luck to you and your partner--if I'd been thinking about thru-hiking when I graduated high school, I probably would have tried it then too.

Also, look into southbounding. Hiking home to Atlanta could be a lot of fun and better for motivation.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 19:36
You are the perfect SOUTHBOUND candidate - this is what I did when I graduated high school - - start in early June in Maine - - you'll have a few black fly issues but other than that it would be the perfect fit for your schedule (and you join a little more exclusive club) in my opinion.

SomeGuy
01-03-2013, 19:53
I have this same dilemma. Planning to go SOBO and finishing on or before my birthday.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 20:02
When i graduated from High School, I went SOUTHBOUND. Your schedule sets up perfect to join the merry and exclusive clan of SOBOS most of whom start June-July - - if you start in June, you'll dodge a few black-flies but other than that you'll have great weather (as compared to the sticky hot south that time of year). i'm in Athens. P/M me if you want help. - oops - I posted pretty much the same response twice - sorry - slow site (or my computer) right now

Zipper
01-04-2013, 02:46
I started in May and did a flip flop hike. Started around Roanoke and hiked north. This is a good option if you want to be with the NOBO thru hikers- and then you can take your time doing the last 700 miles SOBO. Or just do it the way you've planned! Personally I liked not having to rush, but I also wasn't a fast hiker and liked taking my time.

tfournier00
01-22-2013, 11:12
Me and a friend are starting in Georgia the 1st week of May. See you there

madmall89
01-24-2013, 09:04
My girlfriend and I are starting the first Monday of May. We are having to wait for her to graduate from college. We are going NOBO I think we can handle the heat Down here. The trail is pretty much in the back yard I live in Gainesville.

dancingbear
01-27-2013, 15:23
groovy - yeah it gets pretty sticky down here in summer, but ill take it over snow any day! maybe we'll catch ya'll somewhere up north

dancingbear
01-27-2013, 15:24
May can't get here fast enough!

mcpat1993
01-28-2013, 16:56
I am finishing my freshman semester at ship before I begin in mid may! Probably first or second week and ill b moving!

slarosa23
02-08-2013, 20:54
I have a late college graduatio and wanna do a NOBO hike in May. I pretty much joined whiteblaze because of my concern that I wouldn't come across too many other thrus to hike with. I am planning on leaving end of may and am actually excited about the added challenge of hiking in long days. Though thats easy to say before i've started I suppose

dancingbear
02-19-2013, 11:31
im with ya , it'll be a good time for sure

realdeal64
02-19-2013, 11:42
I to am starting late May.Going to Harper's Ferry this summer,Harper's to a Maine next summer.Miss ton of people leaving now ! Just hope there is ample water supply in June !!

tfournier00
02-20-2013, 12:36
Slarosa what is keeping you from starting a bit earlier? I'm in college now, and I know some of the other late bloomers are as well. When I asked my professors if I could take finals early because I am planning on hiking the appalacian trail, I met no resistance. Get ahead and study hard so you can be on the trail the first week of may. Maine gets rough after mid September therefor you want to get started as early as possible.

slarosa23
02-22-2013, 23:59
this might be ridiculous but if I miss college graduation and the weeks preceding it, I know I will always be regretful. I am ready to bust out of here and it's only February, but I it would feel wrong to cut short the remaining weeks with close friends. If things don't go as planned and I cannot make it before the cold, the trail will always be there. But for now I am planning on walking from Georgia to Maine !

JonathanQuigley
02-25-2013, 18:51
TFournier00 doesn't know what he is talking about. Believe me, I have to put up with him all the time. I'm even planning on walking to Maine with him! :-p

MadMall, you all are starting on the 6th of May right?

Martymart
03-21-2013, 01:31
leaving mid may (14-16th) springer to damascus.

Mulungu
03-21-2013, 07:50
Hi all you late starters. We are starting 19 April. We will pack an extra slab of chocolate for the first hikers who start in may to catch us. We are only walking to harpers ferry so don't be slow.
ps we are both over 50 so that should give you guys a chance

dancingbear
03-22-2013, 15:54
haha so its a race for the chocolate bar, my favorite is cookies-n-cream