PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting a Stove

PorKChoP13
01-03-2013, 19:13
Hi All,
I ran across this site while looking for Alcohol stove ideas, anyways. I have built a remote feeder kind of like Zelph's Starlyte remote feed but i cant get it to burn hot enough. I make a pot stand that hovers 1/4" over the burner head and has a hole the exact same size as the head, it also has 3 large arches cut along the bottom that go about 1/4" bellow the burner head. I cut 3 c shapes in the top and bent them up to hold the pot about 3/8" off the pot stand so all together im at 5/8 off the burner and its taking me close to 15 min just to boil 2 cups and im burning alot of alcohol doing it any ideas for improvements?

Thanks,
Dustin

zelph
01-03-2013, 23:46
Are you using wedding favor tin as the burner?

Raise the pot supports so you have 1 inch above the burner. Go higher if necessary.

PorKChoP13
01-04-2013, 12:40
yes i am i found some still havnt found a elbow so im using a reg hose barb. Thank you i will try that, also do you think making the center hole bigger than the burner would help? Its the same size as the burner head now.

zelph
01-04-2013, 15:23
yes i am i found some still havnt found a elbow so im using a reg hose barb. Thank you i will try that, also do you think making the center hole bigger than the burner would help? Its the same size as the burner head now.

Come to think of it, I don't recall using an elbow with a StarLyte burner. I used a straight connection. There was another stove design that I used 2 fancey feast cans fastened together at their bottoms. Is that the remote one you're trying to make?

PorKChoP13
01-04-2013, 23:19
yes thats the one im trying to make one of them you used a button form and the other you used a starlyte but you had mentioned something anout the burner being smaller and im not using the cat food cans i made a base that im trying as well as a pot stand im working on.

this one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19488

zelph
01-06-2013, 17:52
I forgot that I had used a Starlyte burner on that design. I guess I make too many.:rolleyes:

Later in that thread I suggest making the top portion with a steel can because the aluminum one will deteriorate due to the flames hitting the pot support columns. The right size steel can comes with the boxed tuna and crakkers.

The button form head did not work well for me because I had to keep pumping in the fuel. I couldn't regulate the fuel to make it trickle into the head. No absorbing material on the head.

Trial and error is the way of the stove makers. At first if you do not succeed, try try again.;)

Down at the bottom of the 1st page of this whiteblaze thread is a photo of a 3rd design that used the StarLyte stove:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?47798-Remote-Fueled-quot-StarLyte-quot-stove&highlight=remote+fueled+alcohol+stove