PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Help

Chevy
01-03-2013, 19:23
I am looking for a sleeping bag that I can use on AT thru hike. I would like a 20 or 30 degree bag that weighs under 2 lbs. and is under $400. I have found a couple that fit the bill and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I am looking for one that I can use the entire thru hike.

The first is Marmot Hydrogen rated to 30 degrees and weighing 1 lb. 9 oz.

The second is Marmot Helium rated to 15 degrees and weighing 1 lb. 15 oz.

Also I am 6 ft. tall and was just wondering if I should get a tall bag? This will be my first down and first mummy bag so I don't know if the regular will be OK or not.

Thanks in advance.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 19:29
There are about 3 sleeping bag threads going right now FWIW - Start with the Marmot Helium - - using the same bag for an entire thru-hike sets you up to be uncomfortable but if you do keep this one the whole way, warmer is better than colder; you could always use it as a blanket - - it's a nice bag. Your summer trade out bag could just be decent backpacking quilt maybe.

Chevy
01-03-2013, 20:06
Thanks. I would trade out bags if I could afford 2 different bags. I want to save as much money as I can for the hike.

Starchild
01-03-2013, 20:12
If you never tried a mummy consider how you sleep. I have found them restricting and that interferes with my sleep, I like to be able to position my legs apart. I started to use my mummy bag upside down when I couldn't leave it unzipped which gave my legs a bit more room, but I needed and have gone with a semi-rect down bag and I sleep much better in it.

bigcranky
01-03-2013, 20:56
When are you starting? A 30-F bag would be fine for a mid-April start. If you are starting in late Feb through early April the 15-F bag is probably better, and you can just drape it over yourself as a quilt in the warmer months.

The Helium is a nice bag. You might also check the Montbell stretch series.

Chevy
01-03-2013, 21:03
I would like to start in mid-late February this year. I think that is just me dreaming though because I probably won't be able to go until 2014. But either way mid-late Feb would be starting time.

I think that a 20 degree bag would be warm enough if I slept in more layers on colder nights. Also I was thinking I could get a lighter bag for summer that isn't a down bag. Like a bag liner or something lightweight.

bigcranky
01-03-2013, 23:05
Seeing as you are from Minnesota, yeah, you might find a 20F bag will work with clothing layers inside. Just be prepared for single digit lows overnight. (You should have plenty of opportunity to test at home, yes? :O )

Chevy
01-03-2013, 23:22
We had below 0 weather on out last outing. I was using a 0 degree synthetic bag with layers and stayed warm. I was inside a tent/shelter and the bag doesn't have a hood so cold air gets in easily. I am not sure if I should get a 15 degree or not. It would be nice for future winter camping and the beginning of the AT thru hike. Once it starts to get to hot I can unzip and use it like a quilt or swap it out for a lighter bag that is cheap.

Chevy
01-04-2013, 19:57
So I think that I am going to get the Marmot Helium once I find it on sale somewhere. I have been looking at different sites and most of them have different weights. I was just wondering if anyone has the Marmot Helium and could confirm the actual weight.

Thanks in advance.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-04-2013, 20:20
look for the Marmot Helium EQ -the EQ has some waterproofing
hillbilly

BensMusicHiker
01-06-2013, 14:46
Check out Western Mountaineering bags as well as Feathered Friends they are Amazing bags super light and worth every penny... Also sent a PM about a FF bag i have for sale.

The Western Mountaineering - Ultralite
Feathered Friends - Hummingbird/Swallow

check out those bags from those makers

BensMusicHiker
01-06-2013, 15:27
Check out Western Mountaineering bags as well as Feathered Friends they are Amazing bags super light and worth every penny... Also sent a PM about a FF bag i have for sale.

The Western Mountaineering - Ultralite
Feathered Friends - Hummingbird/Swallow

check out those bags from those makers

Chevy
01-06-2013, 16:26
Ok so I have decided to get a 0 degree sleeping bag that is under 3 pounds. That way I can use it for winter camping after my thru hike. I will most likely switch to a lighter bag for summer. Not sure what but most likely a lightweight liner.

The one I found is Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF. It weighs 2 lbs 12 oz. and is rated to 0 degrees.

Anyone have any experience with this bag? or a similar bag that is rated to 0 degrees and is under 3 lbs?

dancingbear
02-21-2013, 21:32
I use the REI Kilimanjaro 0 as my winter bag. Shes a bit heavy, i think its like 4lbs, but it's saved my tail more than a few times. If cost is an option you could probably pick up a pretty cheap used one , i dont think they make it anymore.