PDA

View Full Version : Bear Cannister

ATrain
01-03-2013, 20:41
Hello everyone. New to WB, first post. I have learned so much about backpacking the AT from this site and appreciate the combined wisdom and willingness to share of the more experienced hikers. Am currently planning a 2013 thru-hike. On the subject of bears (and other competitors for my food) on the AT, as a complete newby its seems to me that I should carry a bear cannister. I say this because I have an idea that my attempts to properly hang a food bag would be at times inconvenient and at times pathetic. I know (from threads on this forum) that some experienced campers are comfortable sleeping with their food; I, at least at first would not be. Since I have yet to take that first step with upwards to 30 pounds on my back, perhaps I do not fully appreciate the negative consequences of the additional weight. I was interested in the discussion on another thread of the problem of hikers trashing communal bear lockers and thought this would be one solution. Those who carry cannisters mention using them as a camp stool, carry water, trash can, etc. What do you think?

Northern Lights
01-03-2013, 21:07
I like my bear cannister, and yes I have used it for a stool. But that really isn't a bonus as you can always find a log or stump to sit on. I've not been able to master the PCT hang so it works for me. I also have a URSack that I used in the Smokies. I camped out on the trail one night(yes I know you aren't allowed to do that, and I confessed when I saw the ridgerunner the next day) I tied the UR to a tree and slept like a baby. Nothing got in the bag at all.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2013, 21:10
you do not need a canister on the AT. it's not popular but i just sleep with my food in a tent. never in 16,000 miles on the AT has any critter gotten to my food. i have more "trail time" than 90% of the folks on here but they'll tell you to not pay any attention to me cuz i'm boorish. :cool: seriously, a canister is overkill

hikerboy57
01-03-2013, 21:14
you do not need a canister on the AT. it's not popular but i just sleep with my food in a tent. never in 16,000 miles on the AT has any critter gotten to my food. i have more "trail time" than 90% of the folks on here but they'll tell you to not pay any attention to me cuz i'm boorish. :cool: seriously, a canister is overkill
dont pay any attention to him hes boorish.
and pithy.
but hes right. you dont need one. i just use ursack plastic liner bags in my food bag, they weigh the same as freezer bags but theyre odor proof.and i sleep with my food as well

leaftye
01-03-2013, 21:22
I've had an extremely persistent mouse get into a food bag that was touching my head. The food wasn't in an odor proof bag. I recommend an odor proof bag if you're not using a bear canister or Ursack, and even if you do use those, an odor proof bag is still a very good idea.

moldy
01-03-2013, 21:24
In most locations on the AT that have the heaviest concentrations of bear activity they have bear poles/cables/boxes at the shelters. You camp camp near the shelters and make use of the bear cables.

Malto
01-03-2013, 21:29

Dont pay attention to him cuz he's boorish. But absolutely right in this case. (a stopped clock is right twice a day!). No way I would carry a canister on the AT. Do yourself a favor and learn the pct hng method if you don't feel comfortable with sleeping with it or hanging it from a low tree or bear cables, or the mouse inhibitors in the shelters. Yes, a canister is overkill.

Sarcasm the elf
01-03-2013, 21:53
ATrain, there's very little need for a canister on the A.T. It's one of those items that with experience, you realize you don't need or want to lug around on East coast trails. (besides, if it were up to me each shelter would already have a bear box :rolleyes:).

Most of us either keep our food bag with us at all times (a.k.a. Sleep with our food) since problems usually only arise when it is unattended, or hang it using the PCT method, which is generally accepted as the most effective means of bear bagging. There's a brief video below and a number of other ones on YouTube that show the basic technique. In my opinion you will be better off spending a few minutes trying this technique out than to lug a bear canister down the A.T.

Also, as a disclaimer, a couple of sections of trail have special regulations regarding food storage. Make sure to follow these rules where required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE&sns=em

Sarcasm the elf
01-03-2013, 21:54
A wise man once told me "Woo Hoo he is a pithy and the winters are long."

swamp dawg
01-03-2013, 22:03
I just received a bear canister to use on the AT for the first time in years. A small section of the Georgia AT before Neels Gap requires some type of bear proof storage if you plan to camp in that section. I just do not want to be restricted to having camp in a non "canister, bear bag" section, so I bought a canister. In the last twenty years, I have only had a mouse tear into my food sack in the Smokies. In 2011 in late March just before Blood Mtn., a bear got four hanging food sacks but not my food which was in my tent. I still think it wise to hang your food if you can but do a good job of hanging because bears are great climbers and mice are evil. Most shelters in the early part of your hike in Ga. have a cable system to secure your food sack. Life is good on the trail............swamp dawg

Papa D
01-03-2013, 22:10

Lone Wolf is correct about this - - you don't need a bear canister - - if you package your food well, you can probably sleep with it. Most folks recommend hanging food away from your tent and down-wind if possible at least 10' - 15' high. The other post was about bear boxes. They are used successfully in the northeast. There are none that I know of in the south although some shelters have bear cables in place to hang food from.

STE's video about the PCT hang is a good one - I've seen that video before - it is my go-to method.