PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 60 mile hike in Virginia

Ashman
01-03-2013, 20:55
I'm looking to do a 50-60 mile hike in Virginia. I would like to hike northbound and end in Daleville, VA. I tried to find a good start spot using www.atdist.com I saw that VA-601/Rocky Gap is about 58 miles south of Daleville, seems perfect. However, when I look at Rocky Gap on a map, I can't find a highway 601 there. Also the distance from Rocky Gap, VA to Daleville is over a 100 miles by car. I think I am missing something. Can anyone give me a better reference for this start point?

Malto
01-03-2013, 21:05
I am showing 58 miles. VA 601 is also called Rocky Gap Trail

Malto
01-03-2013, 21:13
Computer problems...... VA 601 is also called Rocky Gap Trail. Rt 460 to rt 42 to rt 601.

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 22:03
I am showing 58 miles. VA 601 is also called Rocky Gap Trail

Agreed.... it's 57.9 miles to Rocky Gap, Va Rt. 601- Between the War Spur Shelter & Laurel Creek Shelter.

HikerMom58
01-03-2013, 22:08
Hope that helps Ashman... looks like there is USFS roads right after War Spur Shelter heading North as well.

Southerner
01-03-2013, 22:19
If you type in "Rocky Gap, Va." into Google Maps, it will direct you to the Rocky Gap out near Bland. That's not the same Rocky Gap off of Va. 601. If you try "Captain, Va." then scroll south along Va. 601, that will get you to the trail crossing you are referencing. As is probably evident by now, even though Va. 601 is a state "highway" and, according to its number, a primary road, it is really just a one-lane gravel road over the mountain. You may also find that parking is tight at that crossing -- you may want to continue north, turn left on Va. 632 (Hutchinson Road), then park at the AT crossing near Johns Creek.

Papa D
01-03-2013, 23:21
curious why you picked this section - - all of the Appalachian Trail can be great and I had fun walking through here but Bland is, well, Bland.

Southerner
01-04-2013, 00:21
As a point of clarification, the OP's section does not include hiking near the town of Bland or even in Bland County. In fact, I think that was the whole point -- the mapping for Rocky Gap was not matching up with the AT's Rocky Gap at Va. 601. The OP's selected section includes Johns Creek, Sinking Creek, and Brush Moutains, then Virginia's Big Three -- Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's, and Tinker Cliffs. One actually couldn't do much better in terms of picking highlights in Virginia for a 60-mile section.

SCRUB HIKER
01-04-2013, 00:41
curious why you picked this section - - all of the Appalachian Trail can be great and I had fun walking through here but Bland is, well, Bland.

He chose the section because it's good for his logistics and it includes, to name a few, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs and Dragon's Tooth. Sounds great to me.

To the OP--you could shorten your trip a bit to 53 miles and get on at VA42/Sinking Creek Valley/Newport, VA. There is a B&B about a half-mile down the road from that crossing called the Huffman House. They don't market to hikers at all (too expensive), but I met the proprietress on my thru-hike while I was waiting for a pre-arranged ride from a friend into Blacksburg. She was very kind and brought out ice water as we sat in the shade in her yard. If you contacted them, you might be able to get secure parking on their property if you need it at the southern end of your hike. If you only need parking on the north end, do it at the Kroger parking lot in Daleville.

Ashman
01-04-2013, 07:02
Thanks for the responses! I'm taking a few folks out for a hike and they wanted something more than a weekend hike. I wanted to hit this section for Dragon's Tooth (which I haven't done yet), McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. I will look at the 42 Sinking Creek. I'm pretty set on Dalevile as the north end. I am really open for the southern end. I picked Rocky Gap originally because of the distance and one map I consulted said there was a parking lot there at the trail head. I had no idea what kind of road it was, thank you for your input.

Blissful
01-04-2013, 10:01
Should be great, have fun.

HikerMom58
01-04-2013, 10:15
Should be great, have fun.

Agreed. Also, I have personally parked at VA 630, Sinking Creek. It has a small but pretty nice parking area to park a car or 2. There are several houses really close to that parking area. It was fine. I don't know what the Sinking Creek Valley, VA 42 parking area looks like.
Have a great time & I'll hope for great weather!!

joshuasdad
01-04-2013, 17:45
Parking is pretty much non-existent at VA42 (at best, a few spots in the grass north of the road), just ended a section there last Sunday.

Consider parking your car at a hotel in Daleville (ask first, perhaps at the Super 8), taking a bus or shuttle to Blacksburg, then getting a shuttle or taxi to the trailhead.

Papa D
01-04-2013, 18:10
ok - sounds like you'll have a great trip

coolness
01-04-2013, 19:59
If you hike to Daleville as your northernmost point, Lambert's Meadow is an excellent camp spot. It's 9.1 miles from there to Daleville. It's 7.2 miles from McAfee's Knob to the Meadow. Lambert's Meadow has a picnic table, fire rings, tent sites, and a reliable creek. It's one of my favorite spots to camp. :) I plan on hiking the Andy Layne Trail to the Meadow this Spring.

johnnybgood
01-04-2013, 20:22
Lambert's Meadow is a great campsite with amenities to boot. There was water running by some rocks,needed to filter out the floaties. Water conditions may be better now after a wet month of December.

FlyPaper
01-12-2013, 14:37
I'm looking to do a 50-60 mile hike in Virginia. I would like to hike northbound and end in Daleville, VA. I tried to find a good start spot using www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com) I saw that VA-601/Rocky Gap is about 58 miles south of Daleville, seems perfect. However, when I look at Rocky Gap on a map, I can't find a highway 601 there. Also the distance from Rocky Gap, VA to Daleville is over a 100 miles by car. I think I am missing something. Can anyone give me a better reference for this start point?

Here is the GPS Location: Rocky Gap @37.372272,-80.447044

I've started two hikes there (one going north, one going south). It is a dirt road, but fine for ordinary cars. There is space for 3 or 4 cars at the trail head. There is a tricky turn that is easy to miss as you drive in. If you're using a GPS, it should be no problem.