PDA

View Full Version : Learning something new on the trail

nickamante
01-04-2013, 12:47
I've been thinking that in 6 months of hiking I'll probably have a lot of mental bandwidth to spare. I feel like I should really like to commit to learning some new things with all that time. So far it seems like the best choices would be to learn to identify common plants/animals/rocks on the trail, learn the constellations, practice a language, or something similar.

Has anyone else set out with the intent of learning a certain skill on the trail? If so, what was it and what resources did you use (books being prohibitively heavy is my main concern). Did you succeed?

brian039
01-04-2013, 12:54
I knew a guy who learned to id just about every plant on the trail. It did take him something like 8 months to finish though and he had to flip up to Maine to be able to finish in time. He had a good time with it though.

nickamante
01-04-2013, 12:56
I knew a guy who learned to id just about every plant on the trail. It did take him something like 8 months to finish though and he had to flip up to Maine to be able to finish in time. He had a good time with it though.

Do you have any idea what sort of guide he used? I'm not sure I'd want to dedicate 8 months, but even knowing half the trees and common plants would be cool.

Omaha_Ace
01-04-2013, 13:02

I always try to learn the local edible / medicinal plants to utilize on trips. And local birds to look for as well.

max patch
01-04-2013, 13:06
I don't agree that books are prohibitively heavy; I carried at least 2 with me at all times plus the state guidebooks and an AT handbook. E-readers today make it even easier to do so. Depends on your priorities.

While I was hiking I wished I had learned more knowledge of of tree, plants, etc "before" I started. Stopping and looking at a reference book while hiking would not have been enjoyable to me.

I believe that a thru hike offers a perfect opportunity to read the Bible while en route.

DeerPath
01-04-2013, 13:21
I've been thinking that in 6 months of hiking I'll probably have a lot of mental bandwidth to spare. I feel like I should really like to commit to learning some new things with all that time. So far it seems like the best choices would be to learn to identify common plants/animals/rocks on the trail, learn the constellations, practice a language, or something similar.

Has anyone else set out with the intent of learning a certain skill on the trail? If so, what was it and what resources did you use (books being prohibitively heavy is my main concern). Did you succeed?

There are a lot of APPS to ID Plants for you phone. Some are free, better one cost a few dollars.

Odd Man Out
01-04-2013, 14:33
I like your attitude. I always am telling my children that if you are bored when you are alone, then you must be a boring person.

I suggest learning a new language. I have used the Pimsleur Method at it worked pretty well for me. One big advantage with this method is that they lessons are entirely in the form of audio recordings which you can download on-line are put on an MP3 player. This is based on research indicating that this is the best way to learn a language. Although if someone comes up behind you, they might think you odd for reciting "Īmi pare rău, eu nu vorbesc romānește foarte bine" over and over to yourself.

http://www.pimsleur.com/

nickamante
01-04-2013, 14:44
I suggest learning a new language. I have used the Pimsleur Method at it worked pretty well for me. One big advantage with this method is that they lessons are entirely in the form of audio recordings which you can download on-line are put on an MP3 player.

Awesome! This is just what I was looking for... I've used Rosetta Stone and some of the Book/CD combos but a purely MP3 option would work great. I'll be traveling with two friends as well so if they're interested we could do it together and get some conversation practice in.

If anyone else has good suggestions for Audio Books or other handy MP3s I'd love more suggestions.

Spit Walker
01-04-2013, 14:59
If you want to learn something learn it now. My advice is to stay present and soak up every moment of your thru hike. I learned so much on my thru hike, but i wasnt trying to, i was just thru hiking. Two years later and i still cant absorb all that i learned. All i did was walk, but what i learned cannot be tought, it has to be walked. Im still learning from my thru hike. Stand on Springer and turn your mind on and distractions off. The trail will take over from there. Hike for your soul not spanish.

GA-ME 2011

Spit Walker
01-04-2013, 15:07
WALKS: The body advances while the mind flutters around it like a bird

Just be on the trail while celebrating the basic goodness of being alive

"More important is our presence in the wilds: how we carry ourselves, how softly we move upon the landscape, how aware we are of the patterns of life around us and how we interact with them. I and many others present and past refer to it as the connection." - Ray Jardine

kayak karl
01-04-2013, 15:20
you could keep a journal, but in your own style (examples (https://www.google.com/search?q=lewis+and+clark+journal&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wmY&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0irnUL_KCOuy0AHs_YGICg&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1138&bih=566#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=jSt&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=journal+art&oq=journal+art&gs_l=img.3..0l10.64813.69752.0.71264.5.4.0.1.1.0.9 5.308.4.4.0...0.0...1c.1.2fDpK8Le5NY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&fp=7f16fd56b036d8ad&bpcl=40096503&biw=1138&bih=566))

Drakken
01-04-2013, 16:07
Maybe a small book of knots. Could come in handy while out in the wild and later in life.

Cookerhiker
01-04-2013, 16:25
When I did a lot of section hiking in '05, I met a guy whose Trail Name was No. 11 because he was the 11th person to sign out of the Amicalola Falls register. So he must have started early. I met him early April on Peters Mountain, VA and then again in June in NY at Graymoor. He was carrying an all-purpose nature book covering trees, flowers, shrubs and making a point to study as he hiked, hence his "slow" pace compared to most thrus. I know that his finished that year but don't know when he summitted Katahdin.

Sorry, I can't remember what book he had.

Dogwood
01-04-2013, 18:02
I learn about new, or further my knowledge about, flora and fauna on all my hikes. I often am carrying a small plant and/or wildflwer book. I also tend to stop into towns or off trail places more often than I think most thru-hikers. I take in waterfalls, mountains(summits), dams, lakes, rivers, museums, historical sites, places of noted architecture, interesting state parks, caves, botanical gardens, zoos, music festivals, concerts, gatherings, tours, etc. I enjoy taking in National Park Headquarter and many state park exhibits. Sometimes I'll even stop for more than a day, even though the trail is calling, because I'm contributing to and gaining so much from the environment, people, etc it's worthwhile to do so, at least according to me. On some thru-hikes for some sections I'll bring along a Small UL telescoping fishing outfit and afew lures, etc. I also add new and delete old music off my Mp3 player when in town. I can unequivocally state I NEVER LET MYSELF GET BORED ON A HIKE! When I've finished a long thru I've moved ahead forward in SO MANY different ways. This idea, "thru-hiking is NOT JUST about hiking, was fortifed in me by Sly. Thank you Sly. I got what you said to me.

tiptoe
01-04-2013, 19:48
"Bored" isn't in my vocabulary, either. In addition to all the excellent suggestions here, I'll add one more. Spend some time talking to the locals. Start conversations, and you'll get a sense of what it's like to live there. If you're interested in language, you'll also get a sense of accents, regionalisms, and so forth. Wander around and look at the houses, parks, shops. If there's a tree, flower, bird, or something else you can't identify, ask.

Dogwood
01-05-2013, 00:09

This wasn't me that Brian was speaking about but it took me an extra month to finish my AT thru because I ID, sketched, took pics, and wrote descriptions about every plant I wasn't already intimately familiar with. In town I would research the plants I experienced on the trail further. I sometimes supplemented my trail food with edible trail side plants. But that's me. I'm a plant geek. I'm a horticulturalist and Landscape Architect and survivalist. Get the principle though.

"Bored" isn't in my vocabulary, either. In addition to all the excellent suggestions here, I'll add one more. Spend some time talking to the locals. Start conversations, and you'll get a sense of what it's like to live there. If you're interested in language, you'll also get a sense of accents, regionalisms, and so forth. Wander around and look at the houses, parks, shops. If there's a tree, flower, bird, or something else you can't identify, ask.

Exactly! If you do this as you hike you will positively broaden your horizons beyond long distance hiking. When I thru hike it's as if I'm traveling through another country broadening and enriching my life. THRU-HIKING CAN BE SO MUCH SO MUCH MORE THAN SIMPLY HIKING! I consider thru-hiking one of THE BEST opportunities to do so!

daddytwosticks
01-05-2013, 16:25
you could keep a journal, but in your own style (examples (https://www.google.com/search?q=lewis+and+clark+journal&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wmY&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0irnUL_KCOuy0AHs_YGICg&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1138&bih=566#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=jSt&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=journal+art&oq=journal+art&gs_l=img.3..0l10.64813.69752.0.71264.5.4.0.1.1.0.9 5.308.4.4.0...0.0...1c.1.2fDpK8Le5NY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&fp=7f16fd56b036d8ad&bpcl=40096503&biw=1138&bih=566)) +1 By doing this, you may learn a lot about yourself. :)

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 16:46
Wow... keep on sharing..... this is interesting stuff. :)

Tharwood
01-06-2013, 17:24
A lot of outdoor knowledge can be found in many books on Bushcraft.. as well as multiple sirvival techniques that may just comes handy some day. The best part.... You are already outside , in nature, why not take the time and learn while you are out there. Eat bugs , sleep exposed, make a fire with bow method.. Heck do them all... You wold be surprised what you can do.

Tharwood
01-06-2013, 17:24
Survival techniques too,,,, just not typing..hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah