PDA

View Full Version : Don't Over Think It

goedde2
01-04-2013, 13:20
Sorry, but i have to post my thoughts, and apologize to everyone who might take offense. Just my take on the situation generally speaking and not my intention to play the expert, talking down to the less experienced hikers, as a lot of folks seem to do. Nothing beats learning by doing, and everyone is different.

I see a lot of posts suggesting only carrying a portion of your guide book, and bouncing the remainder, leaving the used portion in a drop box. To me this is insane. It only weighs a few ounces and if you leave it intact, it can serve as an invaluable source of reference when you get back home, showing you where you were on such and such a date, etc. Besides, who wants to bother with the hassle of having to be a certain place at a certain time anyway? Makes about as much sense as cutting your toothbrush in half to save gram or two.

Another "gripe" I have is posts from the "purists" who scorn cell phones. A smart phone ( iPhone ) with service from Verizon, for example, using a Mi-Fi Jetpack is an invaluable tool useful for not only the obvious but with enough storage, you can take advantage of the camera, front and back, and keep a daily journal with only a few clicks, documenting yourself visually every day. Anywhere you can get a signal, you have Internet. How can that be a bad thing? A digital camera is also another "must have", but this is just my opinion of course

As for "gaiters", I prefer the short ones because the poplar knee high type used with shorts only makes your legs sweat. All you really need to keep covered is your shoe or boot, not your entire leg from the knee down. They really do add a certain amount of protection from getting wet and they do keep out the sticks and stones, but it's personal preference, just like hiking poles. Some do, some don't. All you really need is long pants, especially when you are walking through dense overgrowth where ticks are a major problem. That's how they get on you, by brushing up against where they live. The last thing you want to deal with is Lyme's Disease.

Another misconception is the use of a hammock. For those who don't already know, they are extremely comfortable, and you don't lie in them looking like a banana. The proper HH is designed to allow you to rest almost totally flat, corner to corner in a trapezoid configuration, bug free, and off the cold and wet ground, with a built in swing seat when you are fixing your lunch. Yes, you are more exposed to the elements, but with a tarp, that problem is eliminated. You will also experience the outside temperatures more readily in the colder climates than in a tent, but with a down sleeping bag and a 3/4 pad, that problem is also eliminated. The huge benefit comes in the warmer months, without worry of fighting the bugs because you are enclosed with a mesh netting. I was once a non-believer myself, but for me, it's the only way to go, and set up/take down is about a minute. If you are on a bald or in the open, just use your tarp and hiking poles to set up a shelter. No problem.

I do think the proper research is necessary but, simply put, here's all you need to think about. Plan for 4 -5 days at a time, not a month or so. Remember every day of food is about 2 lbs. per day. Keep your feet as dry as possible because if you don't, that's how you will get your blisters. Wearing a liner sock will help out a lot. Wear a boot or shoe at least one size larger than your normal shoe size, because you need room for your socks, and your feet will definitely swell when you hike. Change your socks daily, rinsing out the ones you used during the day and drying overnight, by sleeping with them. Stay hydrated, and always, always filter your water. I don't care what others claim about the quality of the water on most parts of the trail, filter it.

Make your hike your hike, not someone else's. Do take time to enjoy what you are doing and where you are. Shelters are shelters, but they are infested with mice, and people who like to party, hikers as well as locals. If that's what you enjoy, go for it, but I prefer the solitude and comfort of a good night's sleep without being crammed in with a bunch of strangers who add their charm (noise) throughout the night. A lot of times, first in is first out, because they race to the next shelter to claim their spot before it fills up later in the day. I've been kept out of a shelter because of limited space in the middle of a rain storm more than once because of this attitude. Not a problem, but setting up in rain isn't my first choice.

Groups have their advantage, and if you are by yourself and approached by a stranger, always let them think you are with a group, even though you are spread out. Just common sense, not paranoia.

The most important thing is, and I know you have heard it time and time gain, but it is weight. That doesn't mean a few luxury items don't warrant consideration. For me it's a pair of Croc's for camp shoes. You want to give your feet a break at the end of the day, but you don't want to step on a thorn on the way to the spring. They come in handy for stream crossings also. Another thing I enjoy is an extra bandana or two. I also keep a small Nalgene bottle clipped to my breast strap for instant gratification without having to struggle to find my large bottle. Yes, you have those folks who claim a throw a way is better and lighter, but a Nalgene is bombproof, and fits my water filter. Yes, I also carry my iPhone, a digital camera that uses AA batteries, and a Pezel head lamp if I am running late and have to set up in the dark.

I hope anything I have offered or suggested is of some use to anyone who reads this post, but it's just a hike. Don't over think it. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2013, 14:25
after all, it's just walkin'

Deadeye
01-04-2013, 14:37
I think 10 paragraphs is over thinking it.

HikerMom58
01-04-2013, 14:38
after all, it's just walkin'

Love it... he agrees with you!!

Thanks for the thoughtful post, goedde2 I'm sure it will be helpful!

Malto
01-04-2013, 15:05
Awful long post on your way, telling people not to over think it and to do it their way?:-?

Pendragon
01-04-2013, 15:53
I like the way this guy thinks. I'd be happy to share the trail with you, good sir. And if anybody is offended by what he is saying, the constitution allows you to bail at any sentence in.........

colorado_rob
01-04-2013, 16:00
Nicely put, and I agree especially on the smart-phone thing... my 8.9 oz droid is my camera, phone, GPS (emergency navigation), occasional internet link (for banking, investments, travel arrangements, etc) and perhaps most important of all, the droid is an excellent E-book reader. I know from experience that I will be reading a lot of books on my AT thru. Many say that they don't read much, but I certainly will. the 8.9 oz includes two extra batteries and tiny little wall charger for in town. Sweet combination of a lot of things in one small package.

Drakken
01-04-2013, 16:03
Common Sense Rocks!
But hey, It's their hike, they can carry or not carry what they like. I prefer a Nalgene (it fits my filter too). I just bought a hammock, but I also love my tent. It all depends on what kind of hike I'm planning as to what I take. Only have one hiking pole at the moment. And I love my iphone, just wish the battery lasted longer. Hate having to carry a camera as a backup.

Drakken
01-04-2013, 16:05
oh, and about the book. Dude you bought it; if you wanna rip it in three easy to handle sizes, whatever. I like to have mine intact tho.

fins1838
01-04-2013, 16:19
Well thought out, intelligent statement. Enjoyed reading. Thank you. For those busting on you for stating it was too long. Think about it; they took the time to read it & reply. Whats that say about them? Hmmmmm. G'Day Mate

linder
01-04-2013, 16:30
Great advice!! All in all carry what you want, make it your hike. After reading all the post and research most hikers get the picture, lighter is better, use what brands you want. Enjoyed reading this, thank you. Baby Face Nelson

Drybones
01-04-2013, 16:39
Is there a Cliff Note version of this post, I might read it.

Blissful
01-04-2013, 17:39
2lbs of food a day is a ton... :)

Deadeye
01-04-2013, 18:09
For those busting on you for stating it was too long. Think about it; they took the time to read it & reply.

Nope, just counted the paragraphs. I'm way too busy making pointless posts to actually read a 10 page diatribe on HMHDI.

Firefighter503
01-06-2013, 01:36
Nope, just counted the paragraphs. I'm way too busy making pointless posts to actually read a 10 page diatribe on HMHDI.

I'm with this guy. For a post title talking about not over thinking hiking, that sure was a lot of opinion on how someone should or should not hike. Not that I mind, I sure as **** like to over think most things I do - its just in my nature. I just found it amusing that there were several paragraphs on 'don't over think it.'

::shrug::

Jake Jensen
01-06-2013, 06:40
I was on the fence about going with a hammock or tent set-up, goedde2's section on hammocks however has swayed my decision to the way of the hammock! What type of hammock are u rockin' goedde2?:-?

Jake Jensen
01-06-2013, 06:43
Btw I didn't know their were guidelines for posts?

OzJacko
01-06-2013, 08:11
I have to admit I haven't read all of this thread - I'm trying not to overthink about stuff....;)

goedde2
01-06-2013, 12:37
Hey Jake, thanks for your reply. I have a Hennessy Light with a slight modification. The original model comes with an entrance in the bottom. You separate the sides, enter, sit down, lift your legs, and the opening snaps shut with velcro. The built in netting keeps you bug free. I voided the warranty by having the netting connected by a full length zipper. MUCH easier to get in and out of with your pad and other gear inside. Also, you can just collapse the hammock, and use it for a seat while resting at your camp sight. I would strongly suggest the larger 6 - point optional tarp, instead of the 4 - point that comes standard because it offers much better rain protection. These days HH finally does offer their hammock with a zipper version, but it is a bit heavier, with no bottom entrance. You might also consider what is known as "snake skins", which are long tubular sections of nylon that you keep on the hammock ropes tied to the tree, and when you are ready to break camp, you just slide them down onto the hammock and form a long rope like package that you can just coil up and attach to your pack. Takes about a minute to set up or take down. Sorry for the "long" post like my original that a lot of folks are complaining about but they managed to find the time to bitch rather than add anything constructive or helpful. Go figure.

goedde2
01-06-2013, 12:42
[QUOTE=Jake Jensen;1386700]
I was on the fence about going with a hammock or tent set-up, goedde2's section on hammocks however has swayed my decision to the way of the hammock! What type of hammock are u rockin' goedde2?:-?

Sorry Jake, I mistakenly just "replied" without including your question about the gear. Just scroll down to read. Thanks.

Grampie
01-06-2013, 12:50
Goedde2, before you offer advise, it would help to know your experience. Than folks can decide if you know what you are talking about is true.

goedde2
01-06-2013, 13:28
Goedde2, before you offer advise, it would help to know your experience. Than folks can decide if you know what you are talking about is true.

I might suggest if you have something of a personal nature to discuss with me you show at least show a modicum of respect and consideration and send a "private" message to me. Who are you to question my credentials?

goedde2
01-06-2013, 13:44
I think 10 paragraphs is over thinking it.

And yet you took the time to post your opinion about nothing that is actually relevant, without making any other contribution except a negative remark.

Grampie
01-06-2013, 13:45
I might suggest if you have something of a personal nature to discuss with me you show at least show a modicum of respect and consideration and send a "private" message to me. Who are you to question my credentials?

The point that I am trying to make is that all types of folks offer hiking suggestions and advise to readers on White Blaze. Your advise or suggestions will have more credence if you let readers know what your hiking, outdoors, or backpacking experience is. That way they are more likely, or not to heed the advise that you give.
I see no need to discuss this in private. White Blaze is a public forum.

Grampie
01-06-2013, 13:50
And yet you took the time to post your opinion about nothing that is actually relevant, without making any other contribution except a negative remark.

I have posted on White Blaze for over 10 years and have offered, what I would consider, much goos advise to mostly thru-hikers especialy those who are older. I have thru-hiked and yearly spend time on the AT as a hiker and volunteer.

goedde2
01-06-2013, 13:50
Awful long post on your way, telling people not to over think it and to do it their way?:-?

And your point is? I wasn't telling anyone anything, merely exercising my right to make what I thought were helpful suggestions, based on my own experience. You need to worry more about that and less about taking something out of context, like the title.

goedde2
01-06-2013, 14:03
I have posted on White Blaze for over 10 years and have offered, what I would consider, much goos advise to mostly thru-hikers especialy those who are older. I have thru-hiked and yearly spend time on the AT as a hiker and volunteer.

Well, who are you, Grampie or Deadeye?

goedde2
01-06-2013, 14:20
Is there a Cliff Note version of this post, I might read it.

Obviously your sarcasm supersedes your intellect. Why take the time to post something so irrelevant?

goedde2
01-06-2013, 14:30

Well, at least you are honest enough to admit your posts are pointless, like this one. You also might think about what you say or refer to before you embarrass yourself.

For example: di·a·tribe

bitter criticism: a bitter verbal or written attack on somebody or something

Explain to me how the post I made can even remotely be considered "diatribe"

goedde2
01-06-2013, 14:44
Love it... he agrees with you!!

Thanks for the thoughtful post, goedde2 I'm sure it will be helpful!

Thank you very much, but you know as well as I do there will be some sort of negative comment posted, regardless of the relativity. The point being, there simply is no right way or wrong way that is written in stone and everyone will make mistakes, and that's how we learn.

goedde2
01-06-2013, 14:48
I like the way this guy thinks. I'd be happy to share the trail with you, good sir. And if anybody is offended by what he is saying, the constitution allows you to bail at any sentence in.........

Thank you, and my apologies were made up front to avoid any negativity, but you know there will always be some. It would be my pleasure to share the experience with you one day.

Another Kevin
01-06-2013, 15:53
There seems to be a lot of HMHDI here, but ok...
Guidebook: Whatever. At least one of the popular ones is designed to be torn apart into sections.
Cell phone: Whatever. I carry mine. It's a backup camera, a GPS, a spare compass, an alidade, the novel I'm reading, an extra flashlight, a calculator, a watch, a notebook, maybe even a music player. I run it 'silent', in 'airplane mode', and with the display as dim as possible - to save the battery, but also to be polite. With it in airplane mode, you won't find me talking and texting and disturbing others with it. (Except for those who are disturbed by the mere fact that I have one. I think they're seriously disturbed anyway.)
Gaiters: Whatever. Below-the-knee gaiters, ankle-length, or none at all. Depends on conditions. Where I go, I need the tall ones in winter or when bushwhacking, and can usually dispense with them altogether in warm weather on trail.
Hammock: Whatever. I need to find a group hang at some point. I want to try before I buy; right now a tent and a Thermarest work for me. (It's essentially what I was doing 45 years ago, except that the tent is lighter and the Thermarest replaced a CCF pad.) For about half the year, the weather here is cold enough that many of the hammockers go to ground anyway.
Rest of the details, and general philosophy: Whatever. I'm a weekender, and I like a few comforts, so I wind up carrying a few pounds of extra base weight. If that means that I do 8-10 mile days instead of 15-20, so what? If I were in a hurry, I wouldn't be walking. Personal luxuries: the aforementioned cell phone; neoprene kayak shoes to wear around camp or for stream crossings; a silnylon bucket for washing socks, dishes, or me; extra bandana; extra extra socks; a two-man tent even when I'm solo because one-man ones seem to be built for midgets; a GSI cookset and a Fauxbaker; pouch chicken or pouch tuna or Spam singles or summer sausage or pepperoni or soppressata or real cheese, rather than dehydrated everything. Maybe even a piece or two of fresh fruit. (Think of its weight as reserve water, because it is!) A mid-size digital camera - I'd like a DSLR but it's too heavy even for me. About a half pound of mind-your-own-business. A 70 l pack to hold all that.
One line summary: Whatever.

I'm just a clueless weekender, and what I do suits me fine. I'd imagine it would work for sectioning as well, since it has in the past. In the unlikely event that I were to do a thru, I wouldn't change too much, except for paying the bucks to cut down on the weight of the pack, sleeping bag, crash pad and tent. (As a clueless weekender, I can't justify the cost.) But I'm sure that the Real Hikers will tell me I'm doing it all wrong.

Jake Jensen
01-07-2013, 21:39
[QUOTE=Jake Jensen;1386700]

Sorry Jake, I mistakenly just "replied" without including your question about the gear. Just scroll down to read. Thanks.

Thx for the reply goedde2 I ended up purchasing the expedition series with the zipper can't wait till it arrives your input really help me decide so thanks for the time you took to reply much appreciated! Who did your mod 2qzq?

canoe
01-07-2013, 22:12
Sorry, but i have to post my thoughts, and apologize to everyone who might take offense. Just my take on the situation generally speaking and not my intention to play the expert, talking down to the less experienced hikers, as a lot of folks seem to do. Nothing beats learning by doing, and everyone is different.

I see a lot of posts suggesting only carrying a portion of your guide book, and bouncing the remainder, leaving the used portion in a drop box. To me this is insane. It only weighs a few ounces and if you leave it intact, it can serve as an invaluable source of reference when you get back home, showing you where you were on such and such a date, etc. Besides, who wants to bother with the hassle of having to be a certain place at a certain time anyway? Makes about as much sense as cutting your toothbrush in half to save gram or two.

Another "gripe" I have is posts from the "purists" who scorn cell phones. A smart phone ( iPhone ) with service from Verizon, for example, using a Mi-Fi Jetpack is an invaluable tool useful for not only the obvious but with enough storage, you can take advantage of the camera, front and back, and keep a daily journal with only a few clicks, documenting yourself visually every day. Anywhere you can get a signal, you have Internet. How can that be a bad thing? A digital camera is also another "must have", but this is just my opinion of course

As for "gaiters", I prefer the short ones because the poplar knee high type used with shorts only makes your legs sweat. All you really need to keep covered is your shoe or boot, not your entire leg from the knee down. They really do add a certain amount of protection from getting wet and they do keep out the sticks and stones, but it's personal preference, just like hiking poles. Some do, some don't. All you really need is long pants, especially when you are walking through dense overgrowth where ticks are a major problem. That's how they get on you, by brushing up against where they live. The last thing you want to deal with is Lyme's Disease.

Another misconception is the use of a hammock. For those who don't already know, they are extremely comfortable, and you don't lie in them looking like a banana. The proper HH is designed to allow you to rest almost totally flat, corner to corner in a trapezoid configuration, bug free, and off the cold and wet ground, with a built in swing seat when you are fixing your lunch. Yes, you are more exposed to the elements, but with a tarp, that problem is eliminated. You will also experience the outside temperatures more readily in the colder climates than in a tent, but with a down sleeping bag and a 3/4 pad, that problem is also eliminated. The huge benefit comes in the warmer months, without worry of fighting the bugs because you are enclosed with a mesh netting. I was once a non-believer myself, but for me, it's the only way to go, and set up/take down is about a minute. If you are on a bald or in the open, just use your tarp and hiking poles to set up a shelter. No problem.

I do think the proper research is necessary but, simply put, here's all you need to think about. Plan for 4 -5 days at a time, not a month or so. Remember every day of food is about 2 lbs. per day. Keep your feet as dry as possible because if you don't, that's how you will get your blisters. Wearing a liner sock will help out a lot. Wear a boot or shoe at least one size larger than your normal shoe size, because you need room for your socks, and your feet will definitely swell when you hike. Change your socks daily, rinsing out the ones you used during the day and drying overnight, by sleeping with them. Stay hydrated, and always, always filter your water. I don't care what others claim about the quality of the water on most parts of the trail, filter it.

Make your hike your hike, not someone else's. Do take time to enjoy what you are doing and where you are. Shelters are shelters, but they are infested with mice, and people who like to party, hikers as well as locals. If that's what you enjoy, go for it, but I prefer the solitude and comfort of a good night's sleep without being crammed in with a bunch of strangers who add their charm (noise) throughout the night. A lot of times, first in is first out, because they race to the next shelter to claim their spot before it fills up later in the day. I've been kept out of a shelter because of limited space in the middle of a rain storm more than once because of this attitude. Not a problem, but setting up in rain isn't my first choice.

Groups have their advantage, and if you are by yourself and approached by a stranger, always let them think you are with a group, even though you are spread out. Just common sense, not paranoia.

The most important thing is, and I know you have heard it time and time gain, but it is weight. That doesn't mean a few luxury items don't warrant consideration. For me it's a pair of Croc's for camp shoes. You want to give your feet a break at the end of the day, but you don't want to step on a thorn on the way to the spring. They come in handy for stream crossings also. Another thing I enjoy is an extra bandana or two. I also keep a small Nalgene bottle clipped to my breast strap for instant gratification without having to struggle to find my large bottle. Yes, you have those folks who claim a throw a way is better and lighter, but a Nalgene is bombproof, and fits my water filter. Yes, I also carry my iPhone, a digital camera that uses AA batteries, and a Pezel head lamp if I am running late and have to set up in the dark.

I hope anything I have offered or suggested is of some use to anyone who reads this post, but it's just a hike. Don't over think it. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing....but your attitude SUX like a troll

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 08:51
Thank you very much, but you know as well as I do there will be some sort of negative comment posted, regardless of the relativity. The point being, there simply is no right way or wrong way that is written in stone and everyone will make mistakes, and that's how we learn.

yw...I can share with you something I have learned, on this site, about "sharing". This has nothing to do with knowledge about hiking, which I think you shared a lot of thoughtful & helpful information. It's all about wording. Written words is all we have here. It has it's down side.The wording of ur thread title "tripped me up" a lil bit. Having said that, it would be very helpful if we all could share and not have to worry about how we should "say" things, PERFECTLY.

You should have been able to share exactly what you shared without any negative repercussions, IMHO.

Question?- Can you judge someone for a bad attitude when they are merely defending themselves? Whenever I'm in a defensive mode... it's never "pretty".... just sayin. I think goedde2 held it together pretty well. Not trying to jump on you, canoe. JW....

StylinLP38
01-08-2013, 11:35
"Dont over think it and keep it simple" is great advice for an experienced hiker thats done this before. But for those of us that have never heard of a Nalgen or hammock or water filters or headlight lamps or trail shoes...in other words, someone completely new, keeping it simple means to them is hike with a baseball cap and a can of soda and cigerettes. Thats why there is a million questions from noobies. we dont know anything at all and do have a million questions. If we dont ask questions here then we will just go to REI and let them sell us everything they tell us we need.

goedde2
01-08-2013, 12:34
[QUOTE=goedde2;1386820]

Thx for the reply goedde2 I ended up purchasing the expedition series with the zipper can't wait till it arrives your input really help me decide so thanks for the time you took to reply much appreciated! Who did your mod 2qzq?

2QZ2 sounds remotely familiar but it was in 2005, in preparation for my thru, so I'm not certain they were the ones that did the modification for me. I purchased the Ultra Light but had it made for me with extended weight capacity, which means a larger main cord. I also have the Expedition model which came out after I purchased my original. There are several sites specifically just for hammock users and they can offer all kinds of advice. One thing that you might find useful is my method of attaching the HH to the tree huggers. I use a simple clam cleat, http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=160 that allows instant and secure attachment without making several loops through the tree huggers. Takes about a second to set up. Check YouTube for some clips about setting up the hammock, or go to the HH website for their own video tutorials. Best of luck to you.

goedde2
01-08-2013, 12:44
[QUOTE=Jake Jensen;1387914]

2QZ2 sounds remotely familiar but it was in 2005, in preparation for my thru, so I'm not certain they were the ones that did the modification for me. I purchased the Ultra Light but had it made for me with extended weight capacity, which means a larger main cord. I also have the Expedition model which came out after I purchased my original. There are several sites specifically just for hammock users and they can offer all kinds of advice. One thing that you might find useful is my method of attaching the HH to the tree huggers. I use a simple clam cleat, http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=160 that allows instant and secure attachment without making several loops through the tree huggers. Takes about a second to set up. Check YouTube for some clips about setting up the hammock, or go to the HH website for their own video tutorials. Best of luck to you.

Forgot to add. You can use the smaller Lin Lock clam cleats for your tarp tie outs as well. What works well is making a double loop of small bungee cord, about a foot long, and attach that to your tarp. Then attach the loop to your tie out cord, preferably something easily seen like day glow green, to your ground stake. When the wind blows, the tarp stays put. Use the same method if you want to set up using just the tarp and your hiking poles, when you are in a clearing with no trees.

goedde2
01-08-2013, 13:27

Thanks "canoe". Perhaps posting a personal attack only demonstrates your lack of understanding about contributing something that is actually relevant to the site, rather than proving to the world how your lack of judgement exemplifies why your true character is questionable at best. At least learn how to reply WITHOUT a quote, so you can make your one line pointless dribble your own without hanging on to someone else.

Another Kevin
01-08-2013, 13:48
You should have been able to share exactly what you shared without any negative repercussions, IMHO.
And I'll repeat my one-word summary: Whatever.
(Which probably means much the same as, "don't overthink it.")

Spirit Bear
01-08-2013, 13:55
After hiking from Springer to Neels gap this past summer I realized all you need is water, food, toilet paper and handy wipes on the trail. Everything else is bull**** luxuary items.

On a serious note, i to would like to know if you're hiking experience. I am a novice, only hiked 100 total miles on the AT, all in Ga and NC and the longest stretch was that 3.5 day hike from springer to neels. I learned so much from that experience, what I need and don't need, and much of what I packed for that trip was information I got on whiteblaze, much of it was overkill. Still better info than the local REI guy but still some was overkill. Hike your own hike, geather your own decisions based on your own experiences...

atmilkman
01-08-2013, 14:01
I think apologizing in the opening line deserves some credit.

oceaneire
01-08-2013, 14:12
Starting with an apology should not give one a license to behave poorly.

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 14:29
And I'll repeat my one-word summary: Whatever.
(Which probably means much the same as, "don't overthink it.")

What r u trying to say to me? Don't wishfully think that everyone that starts a thread & shares should be "fair game" for personal attacks or rude comments? Sorry for thinking about/ wishing for that not to be the case. When someone puts their thoughts or opinions out there, I don't immediately think that they are wrong and need to be "set straight". He may have "appeared" to be doing exactly what he was saying one shouldn't do but "whatever". I don't think he needs to be insulted for putting his thoughts out there. I thought someone out there would think it was helpful. I'm not overthinking, am I?

WingedMonkey
01-08-2013, 14:47
Here comes the defender of all victims...AGAIN.

Another Kevin
01-08-2013, 14:49
What r u trying to say to me? Don't wishfully think that everyone that starts a thread & shares should be "fair game" for personal attacks or rude comments? Sorry for thinking about/ wishing for that not to be the case. When someone puts their thoughts or opinions out there, I don't immediately think that they are wrong and need to be "set straight". He may have "appeared" to be doing exactly what he was saying one shouldn't do but "whatever". I don't think he needs to be insulted for putting his thoughts out there. I thought someone out there would think it was helpful. I'm not overthinking, am I?

No. I'm saying you're right. I'm thinking that anyone who made rude comments should more have said, "Whatever."

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 15:16
No. I'm saying you're right. I'm thinking that anyone who made rude comments should more have said, "Whatever."

Well yeah, that's what I said to myself and saw his post as helpful. :) Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying to me, Another Kevin.

Winged Monkey... The OP's not a "victim" and I'm not a defender. It's all about personal interactions on a web site. It happens. I think our site needs to be GREAT, as Hairbear tried to remind us to be. We've got a great site but when things like what just happened on this thread--- Well, it doesn't make everyone feel real comfortable in sharing. I wonder what the "newbies" are thinking right about now.....They will get used to it, I'm sure & aren't terribly surprised but it doesn't need to be this way at all.

WingedMonkey
01-08-2013, 15:27
It's all about personal interactions on a web site.

My bad, I though it was about hiking.

Karma13
01-08-2013, 15:42
I wonder what the "newbies" are thinking right about now.....

Well... I was thinking, "Wow. That's a massive amount of words that completely contradicts the 'Hike your own hike' that's tossed in at the end." And... "Wow. How puffed-up to decide to hang out your own shingle instead of enriching all the already existing threads with your thru-hiking experience."

But... whatever. ;)

atmilkman
01-08-2013, 19:01
But... whatever. ;)

Good choice of words.

HikerMom58
01-08-2013, 19:39
My bad, I though it was about hiking.

You are partly right. :) It's about PEOPLE talking about hiking. I don't know what a web site, that was about hiking -talking about people, would look like. ;)

Well... I was thinking, "Wow. That's a massive amount of words that completely contradicts the 'Hike your own hike' that's tossed in at the end." And... "Wow. How puffed-up to decide to hang out your own shingle instead of enriching all the already existing threads with your thru-hiking experience."

But... whatever. ;)

I like- whatever. I like- it is what it is, as well. ;) I respect your opinion. I think we are coming from a different place. :)

goedde2
01-09-2013, 18:18
You are partly right. :) It's about PEOPLE talking about hiking. I don't know what a web site, that was about hiking -talking about people, would look like. ;)

I like- whatever. I like- it is what it is, as well. ;) I respect your opinion. I think we are coming from a different place. :)

HM- I am totally amazed at how some folks will take something out of context, create an "issue", and go out of their way to expand their thoughts, which more than likely are not even remotely relevant to the original post. How does that happen, or more importantly, why does that happen, especially when the initial intent was only to post something that may have been helpful or beneficial? I think the end result only manifests a reluctance for someone contemplating to post anything, for fear it may be torn apart, scrutinized, criticized, and ridiculed. That makes no sense to me at all. I regret not being more careful myself, and never thought I would be put in a defensive mode, but aptly put, it is what it is. Thanks for understanding.

HikerMom58
01-09-2013, 18:35
Sure thing- goedde2... It's the nature of this kind of dialogue, stir that up with "personalities" and the stage is set. :eek: That's not meant for a "dig" to anyone on this site-- it is what it is. You are not the first & unfortunately won't be the last. Once the "train" starts rollin, there's no stopping that train. I understand.
Chin up & lessons learned.......hope to see you around. :)

Drybones
01-09-2013, 18:42
HM- I am totally amazed at how some folks will take something out of context, create an "issue", and go out of their way to expand their thoughts, which more than likely are not even remotely relevant to the original post. How does that happen, or more importantly, why does that happen, especially when the initial intent was only to post something that may have been helpful or beneficial? I think the end result only manifests a reluctance for someone contemplating to post anything, for fear it may be torn apart, scrutinized, criticized, and ridiculed. That makes no sense to me at all. I regret not being more careful myself, and never thought I would be put in a defensive mode, but aptly put, it is what it is. Thanks for understanding.

Goedde2...I became curious enough to read at least a portion of your post to try and understand why you've been "jumped on". It appears to me that you have gotten the reponse you expected, you may want to go back and re-read your own post.

Biggie Master
01-09-2013, 19:39
After hiking from Springer to Neels gap this past summer I realized all you need is water, food, toilet paper and handy wipes on the trail. Everything else is bull**** luxuary items.

On a serious note, i to would like to know if you're hiking experience. I am a novice, only hiked 100 total miles on the AT, all in Ga and NC and the longest stretch was that 3.5 day hike from springer to neels. I learned so much from that experience, what I need and don't need, and much of what I packed for that trip was information I got on whiteblaze, much of it was overkill. Still better info than the local REI guy but still some was overkill. Hike your own hike, geather your own decisions based on your own experiences...

Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner! Take a hike, you'll figure it out for yourself... It's not rocket science, and there's no right or wrong way to walk. As far as experience, I've been doing it since I recovered from the circumcision 47 years ago.

goedde2
01-11-2013, 10:51
Goedde2...I became curious enough to read at least a portion of your post to try and understand why you've been "jumped on". It appears to me that you have gotten the reponse you expected, you may want to go back and re-read your own post.

YOU may want to go back and re-read the entire post. You are a prime example of someone who has "jumped" on the crusade. What is your motivation to make the assumption I was expecting any sort of response whatsoever. I just posted what a lot of folks actually interpreted as helpful information. That is what surprised me initially, because I had no expectations at all. It was just a post. What I did not expect was the outpouring of personal attacks from those who abuse a public site and contribute nothing relevant to the site and don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists. It gets even more interesting when they take another post directed to another individual and make the assumption it is their own. We all know what assume means broken down. That would be you.

aficion
01-11-2013, 11:18
YOU may want to go back and re-read the entire post. You are a prime example of someone who has "jumped" on the crusade. What is your motivation to make the assumption I was expecting any sort of response whatsoever. I just posted what a lot of folks actually interpreted as helpful information. That is what surprised me initially, because I had no expectations at all. It was just a post. What I did not expect was the outpouring of personal attacks from those who abuse a public site and contribute nothing relevant to the site and don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists. It gets even more interesting when they take another post directed to another individual and make the assumption it is their own. We all know what assume means broken down. That would be you.

goedde2, Appreciate your thread.

HikerMom58
01-11-2013, 11:25
Ding Ding.... you hit on something important right there, goedde2, when you said- "don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists". IMHO- this site exists for the purpose of people sharing information that others could find helpful, under the huge umbrella on the subject of hiking, just to simplify. I try NOT to overthink the PERSON behind the posts as far as motivation, purpose or real intention of their post. It is what it is.. right?

If someone comes to this website and shares something that seems bizarre, then, what good does it do to personally attack the PERSON, right away. Why put them on the defense so that you loose all possible chances of helping the person think differently? I don't get it. Then, the site becomes more about people "jumping on" people, making them feel uncomfortable sharing any thoughts or information. That's not why the site exists IMHO. No one should feel uncomfortable or have to spend their time "defending" themselves.

Now, someone might call me "preachy".... gotta love it. :) Sorry- I'm done, now! ;)

StylinLP38
01-11-2013, 12:34
Trolling and attacking people on all the forums for numerous hobbies is a common theme that I always thought was caused by the younger generation. I always thought that its their culture on how they get attention on the internet. They think they are cool and popular for the attention it gives them. They even praise each other for it. But, Ive concluded that kind of mentality isn't just young people.

Some people dont understand that a joke is signafied by a smiley face or the letters LOL at the end of a sentance followed up by cander or being silly helps.

CarlZ993
01-11-2013, 13:02
Chill. Be nice. Hike. Enjoy life. Strive to be a better person.

goedde2
01-11-2013, 13:40
Ding Ding.... you hit on something important right there, goedde2, when you said- "don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists". IMHO- this site exists for the purpose of people sharing information that others could find helpful, under the huge umbrella on the subject of hiking, just to simplify. I try NOT to overthink the PERSON behind the posts as far as motivation, purpose or real intention of their post. It is what it is.. right?

If someone comes to this website and shares something that seems bizarre, then, what good does it do to personally attack the PERSON, right away. Why put them on the defense so that you loose all possible chances of helping the person think differently? I don't get it. Then, the site becomes more about people "jumping on" people, making them feel uncomfortable sharing any thoughts or information. That's not why the site exists IMHO. No one should feel uncomfortable or have to spend their time "defending" themselves.

Now, someone might call me "preachy".... gotta love it. :) Sorry- I'm done, now! ;)

HM, my first inclination in response to the "negativity" was to accept it for what it was, consider the source, and just blow it off, without taking it personally. Why make someone else's head problems your own, who has the time? After several of my own reprisals, in my own defense, I suddenly realized I was becoming as guilty as them, posting pointless dribble. Well......I'm here to tell you, unless there is a positive response with an actual question that is relevant to my post, perhaps a clarification of detail, IMHO, there won't be another retribution for anything less. My only thoughts are helping anyone who has a genuine interest in utilizing the site for it's intended purpose, and happily sharing what little I can. Anyone that fails to understand that concept won't ever again be acknowledged by me, period.

HikerMom58
01-11-2013, 14:45
I completely understand what u are saying. I think it's a great solution.

I heard this statement not 2 many years ago.... I love it & try to live by it ever since I gained this knowledge.

"You can't control what others do, but you can control yourself." I interpret your last comment as doing just that.

Also, I learned it's important to remain "teachable". You can't force others to be "teachable", you just have to let them go. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole... it's not going to happen. I will add that, interactions with someone that isn't teachable is not much fun at all.

Some don't have the ability to give and take in conversation or anything else in life, for that matter. Oh well. :) With my understanding of this lack of ability, in some, I could not handle dealing with it. But, knowledge = power, so if you control the "power", you have, with positive control of yourself, it's all good. :)

I'll look forward to reading more of your posts and comments in the future.

goedde2
01-13-2013, 12:42
I completely understand what u are saying. I think it's a great solution.

I heard this statement not 2 many years ago.... I love it & try to live by it ever since I gained this knowledge.

"You can't control what others do, but you can control yourself." I interpret your last comment as doing just that.

Also, I learned it's important to remain "teachable". You can't force others to be "teachable", you just have to let them go. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole... it's not going to happen. I will add that, interactions with someone that isn't teachable is not much fun at all.

Some don't have the ability to give and take in conversation or anything else in life, for that matter. Oh well. :) With my understanding of this lack of ability, in some, I could not handle dealing with it. But, knowledge = power, so if you control the "power", you have, with positive control of yourself, it's all good. :)

I'll look forward to reading more of your posts and comments in the future.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, HM. The fact that YOU are responsible for your own happiness, says it all. As is much quoted, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." In other words, are you in control of the situation, or is the situation in control of you? I prefer the former, not the latter. I think you would agree.

"Atlas"
01-13-2013, 15:08
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
I have never heard that before. What a great conceptualization of life. I enjoyed the Original post and even thought that the length, after all, WE are all here to share and learn from each other.
As I prepare to hit the Trail again this year, I can feel the excitement becoming a living breathing part of my life. Waiting until Mid April to start again, from New Found Gap, will be a true test of patience.
I have learned a lot in the last year of using Whiteblaze, and its been able to help me feel as if I can complete this journey. Thanks for the OP and the quote.

Pendragon
01-13-2013, 23:54
OK, so you come onto White Blaze and somebody has posted something that you don't agree with. Instead of engaging with the individual with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (in which you actually provide a counterpoint), you imply that not only is he wrong, but he is stupid. So tell me, why are you here? Did you come here looking for a mirror, in which everything you read reinforces your viewpoints, and if something doesn't, you go off the deep end and exercise your fingers in an effort to demonstrate to everybody else your supposed superiority to this person? I personally think you came to the wrong place, if when someone posts their ideas (brilliant, stupid, or otherwise) and you take it upon yourself to attack them, contributing nothing to the discussion except a demonstration of your lack of understanding as to what COMMUNITY is all about. You also demonstrate a lack of basic MANNERS. Some of us rather like manners, they used to mean something back when. I have not accepted every bit of advice that was given to me on this forum, but at least I am appreciative of the fact that those who did offer that advice cared enough to share it with me, and the least I could do is NOT insult them for offering it to me in the first place. Yes, I and everyone else here WILL in the end "hike our own hikes", but the sum total of our experiences are dunned down by such un-called for negativity as I see being demonstrated here all to often. Thank you, Sir, for the ideas you offered in your original post, and please know that at least some of us enjoyed the exchange, and will continue to do so. And Hikermom, thank YOU for your efforts as our peacemaker and ethical compass.

goedde2
01-14-2013, 12:36
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
I have never heard that before. What a great conceptualization of life. I enjoyed the Original post and even thought that the length, after all, WE are all here to share and learn from each other.
As I prepare to hit the Trail again this year, I can feel the excitement becoming a living breathing part of my life. Waiting until Mid April to start again, from New Found Gap, will be a true test of patience.
I have learned a lot in the last year of using Whiteblaze, and its been able to help me feel as if I can complete this journey. Thanks for the OP and the quote.

If you liked that, consider the "Dash" by Linda Ellis. http://www.live-your-dash.com

Best of luck to you. I have no doubt you will make your dream a reality.

goedde2
01-14-2013, 12:47
OK, so you come onto White Blaze and somebody has posted something that you don't agree with. Instead of engaging with the individual with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (in which you actually provide a counterpoint), you imply that not only is he wrong, but he is stupid. So tell me, why are you here? Did you come here looking for a mirror, in which everything you read reinforces your viewpoints, and if something doesn't, you go off the deep end and exercise your fingers in an effort to demonstrate to everybody else your supposed superiority to this person? I personally think you came to the wrong place, if when someone posts their ideas (brilliant, stupid, or otherwise) and you take it upon yourself to attack them, contributing nothing to the discussion except a demonstration of your lack of understanding as to what COMMUNITY is all about. You also demonstrate a lack of basic MANNERS. Some of us rather like manners, they used to mean something back when. I have not accepted every bit of advice that was given to me on this forum, but at least I am appreciative of the fact that those who did offer that advice cared enough to share it with me, and the least I could do is NOT insult them for offering it to me in the first place. Yes, I and everyone else here WILL in the end "hike our own hikes", but the sum total of our experiences are dunned down by such un-called for negativity as I see being demonstrated here all to often. Thank you, Sir, for the ideas you offered in your original post, and please know that at least some of us enjoyed the exchange, and will continue to do so. And Hikermom, thank YOU for your efforts as our peacemaker and ethical compass.

Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about. You, and all likeminded individuals, are the epitome of what this site is all about. Kudos. Well put. Thank YOU!

LIVEtough
01-14-2013, 13:58
its pretty remote on the pct you should try it.. i did it and now looking back to hike the AT again .. im like whoa.. i forgot about all the squabble people have over there prefferences..lol

hauptman
02-02-2013, 01:10
Perhaps you should take your own advice when writing future posts. This is coming from someone who tends to drone on. At least restrict yourself to one or two paragraphs. Any more than that and the endless minutia of ADDers lose focus.

Coosa
02-16-2013, 20:57
If you haven't read this book, I encourage you to do so ... it's not about the trail as much as the TRIALS on the Appalachian Trail ...

http://appalachiantrials.com/ ... yes that's right it's not a typo [tho' there are a few in the book] ... A psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail

By Zach Davis, a 2011 AT Thru Hiker Trail Name Badger.

There's a video at the website above on the First Chapter. It's a good read and very helpful in helping a Thru Hiker understand the emotional effects of many decisions made while on the AT. These are also part of the Appalachian Trail Thru Hiker experience.

Here's the video if you want to skip the info regarding the book, but I suggest you do read that, too.
http://youtu.be/TR68DN8YmWc

Coosa

ladytaz
02-17-2013, 09:57
Thanks for the thread, I enjoy reading the different opinions on what gear to take.

colorado_rob
02-17-2013, 11:37
Maybe the single most confusing OP I've seen yet... I guess it's the title vs. the content.

capehiker
02-17-2013, 13:59
Like all things on the interweb (and life), a little grain of salt is always warranted. There are some valid points in the OP's post. Sometimes ya just gotta get out there and hike. The issue that arises is being suitably prepared to do just that.