PDA

View Full Version : Great weekend on the Trail!

Newb
05-30-2005, 21:16
Hey everyone!
I just want to report a great weekend on the trail! J.D. and I (I met my hiking buddy J.D. via THIS website) hiked from Harper's Ferry north to the David Lesser shelter and back the next day. The shelter was full, including a group of 18 boyscouts. They were a fine group of young men and meeting them I feel good about the future of our country. Also, J.D. and I cooked up some Sassafras tea, which worked the miracle of settling his stomach.

A couple of points for my fellow hikers to note from this hike:

1. There is no water between Harpers and David Lesser during the warm months. This was a problem on the way back when I began to show signs of dehydration...thirst..irritability... Not Good. We finally got water just above Harpers south of the river. Not a great water source, but with my Katahdin pump it was potable.

2. We were rained on during our hike the first day. J.D. was fine in his frogg-toggs. I, however, put on my toggs and immediately began to overheat. I chose to hike wet rather than sweat in the rain-gear. Anyone else have this problem? What's the answer? a loose-fitting light poncho?

3. Where the hell was the trail magician with the beer? (this is just part of my personal delusional fantasy that keeps me pressing on with a hike when I become cold, miserable and wet)

4. In Harpers Ferry I stopped to change shirts and pour a liter of water over my head. Just then a family of Japanese tourists were happening-by. They looked at me like I was a crazed axe murderer and faded to the other side of the street. I suppose I did look rather scary standing there with my head pouring water and my gear all out of my bag on a stone wall. I hope they weren't too damaged by the experience.

peace out.

Sly
05-31-2005, 00:46
Hey everyone!
The shelter was full, including a group of 18 boyscouts.

That's just not right, so much for LNT principals. Overnight groups should be limited to 10 and even that's stretching it.

Smile
05-31-2005, 06:25
Isn't David Lesser SOBO from Harper's Ferry?

Hey everyone!
I just want to report a great weekend on the trail! J.D. and I (I met my hiking buddy J.D. via THIS website) hiked from Harper's Ferry north to the David Lesser shelter and back the next day. The shelter was full, including a group of 18 boyscouts. They were a fine group of young men and meeting them I feel good about the future of our country. Also, J.D. and I cooked up some Sassafras tea, which worked the miracle of settling his stomach.

A couple of points for my fellow hikers to note from this hike:

1. There is no water between Harpers and David Lesser during the warm months. This was a problem on the way back when I began to show signs of dehydration...thirst..irritability... Not Good. We finally got water just above Harpers south of the river. Not a great water source, but with my Katahdin pump it was potable.

2. We were rained on during our hike the first day. J.D. was fine in his frogg-toggs. I, however, put on my toggs and immediately began to overheat. I chose to hike wet rather than sweat in the rain-gear. Anyone else have this problem? What's the answer? a loose-fitting light poncho?

3. Where the hell was the trail magician with the beer? (this is just part of my personal delusional fantasy that keeps me pressing on with a hike when I become cold, miserable and wet)

4. In Harpers Ferry I stopped to change shirts and pour a liter of water over my head. Just then a family of Japanese tourists were happening-by. They looked at me like I was a crazed axe murderer and faded to the other side of the street. I suppose I did look rather scary standing there with my head pouring water and my gear all out of my bag on a stone wall. I hope they weren't too damaged by the experience.

peace out.

Newb
05-31-2005, 07:27
No, David Lesser is South of Harpers Ferry. It's the first shelter north of the Blackburn Trail Center.

Smile
05-31-2005, 08:33
No, David Lesser is South of Harpers Ferry. It's the first shelter north of the Blackburn Trail Center.

Yes, that's what I said. SOBO from Harpers.

Newb Wrote: " hiked from Harper's Ferry north to the David Lesser shelter and back the next day.

Newb
05-31-2005, 14:56
Oops. Still wrong. We hiked from Harper's Ferry NORTH to the David Lesser shelter. The shelter is SOUTH of the Blackburn trail center.

Newb
05-31-2005, 15:04
I just want to apologize for being map-tarded here. the DL shelter is south of harpers. I'm a moron. Its a tough day at work here. forgive me.

Smile
05-31-2005, 20:13
It's cool. I just thought maybe I was remembering wrong, so I checked my guide...I'm heading there in a day, so just wanted to check up with the H20 sources to see where I'd need to plan ahead....but if I start at HF I'll be NOBO so will miss the section you mentioned.

Newb
06-01-2005, 08:33
Keys Gap is a GREAT place to go if you want to spread some trail magic. Go there and wait with water for hikers...they'll be thirsty for sure.

tlbj6142
06-01-2005, 10:38
2. We were rained on during our hike the first day. J.D. was fine in his frogg-toggs. I, however, put on my toggs and immediately began to overheat. I chose to hike wet rather than sweat in the rain-gear. Anyone else have this problem? What's the answer? a loose-fitting light poncho?This is more of an art form than a science. Some folks just need more air than others. Before you throw away your Toggs, I'd suggest (in no real order)

Unzipping the front of your jacket as much as you can tollerate
Not using your hood. Put on a brimmed hat to keep water running down your face. Having air movement around your head really helps. And the hat will hold in enought heat to keep you from getting too cold from the water.
Umbrella?
Hike slower
Hike lighter
A poncho might work for you, I find them more trouble, but others swear by them. Before you buy a "backcountry poncho", go pick-up one of those $1 plastic ponchos you can find just about anywhere. Give it a try on your next trip. I believe Skeemer (AT'03?) used one of those "emergency ponchos" for more than half of his thru. Think he had a true hard shell for the first month or so while it was still cold.

Mini-Mosey
06-03-2005, 08:08
I did the same hike on an overnight a while back...HF-DL, then back again the following day....Boy Scouts at the shelter then also. There was also a tent in the tenting area; I ended up backtracking a very short distance and stealth-camping off the trail. Ended up ok. According to a trail guide, there is a camping spot not too far south of David Lesser(up near Buzzard Rocks, I think)also.

Lion King
06-03-2005, 11:07
"Roller Coaster" of Love is dry as a beotch on a hot dry spell through that section.
Think when I finish a couple of rewrites on something I am working on I will head that way.

cant wait...I have been off the trail for only a day and a half and I want to get back out.
LK