PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs and north for 10 days first week of March?

Trish
01-04-2013, 21:02
My hiking partner and I plan to pick up our NOBO section hike at Hot Springs. We have the first week of March open because of spring break. Is this an ok idea "weather wise"? Has anyone been up there in early spring? We have checked historical weather patterns and temps. I'd appreciate input.

Papa D
01-04-2013, 21:47
Spring weather is not that predictable - - traditionally, you would expect wet cool conditions, some residual patchy snow at high elevations and some warmer days. The last few years have been warmer and dryer. Either way, by March, you shouldn't worry about too much heavy weather - - just make sure you have rain, gear, warm sweaters, and dry socks - - the usual rig. You will probably be ahead of all but the fastest thru hikers but you will have the company of early starting NOBOS for sure.

Slo-go'en
01-04-2013, 23:08
It could be really nice or really, really bad. Knowing the kind of weather typical for the area at that time of year is helpful, but you can't know what you might actually get until just before you leave and even then it can change without notice.

There are several balds to cross along that streach which could be a real trip in bad weather. Your also still at a pretty good altitude. Pleasent weather in the valley can be nasty up on top of the ridge line. In any 10 day streach of weather, you can count on a few bad days - just hope they don't happen at a bad spot along the trail, but be prepared for if it does. The first week of March is a real volatile time of year. Weather fronts are on the move.

Trish
01-05-2013, 11:07
Thanks for your replies. We were out last spring (Springer and north) so I remember the weather in Northern Georgia and near the border of NC.
Just wondering about potential for a dump of snow or freezing rain. I'm equipped with good gear, and understand about getting off the trail if real risky weather blows in.

PapaGarrettP
01-05-2013, 12:18
My son and I have been section hiking this time of year for last two years. Two years ago we hiked south from Sam's Gap to Hot Springs. There was some snow at higher elevations and the weather was either bright and sunny or damp and (very) foggy. Our 20 degree bags (with silk liners and long johns) kept us warm. Last year we hiked south from the NOC to just south of the border (about 60 miles). The weather was incredible: blue skies with no clouds for 5 out of 6 days. It did get nippy at night -- down to 17 degrees. Water was absolutely plentiful.

This year we are looking at doing the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and are planning to hike the Benton-MacKaye Trail, which parallels the AT.

RED-DOG
01-05-2013, 12:38
Expect lots of rain and cooler temps.RED-DOG

Trish
01-06-2013, 20:20
Hey PapaGarrett, and others-
We have the same set up for sleeping bags and liners. We each have a tent, but would it be best to plan to stay only in shelters this time of year?

Right now our plan includes stops at campsites as well as shelters....I realize we will be ahead of most thru NOBO's....and thus might be ok for room in shelters.

Last spring break heading north we were mostly in our tents as the NOBO thru hikers were plentiful and had shelter priority.

Trish

fredmugs
01-08-2013, 09:00
I couple of years ago I went from Standing Bear to Dennis Cove road in 10 days early in March. Coldest night was just below freezing. I had one of my worst days on the trail when it was freezing rain with high winds. Most of the other days were nippy with brilliant sunshine. I would expect 2-3 days of bad weather out of 10.

PapaGarrettP
01-08-2013, 09:42
You can plan on staying in shelters, but at this time of the year I would always carry something (tarp, poncho) with which to make an emergency shelter.

The Cleaner
01-08-2013, 09:52
My hiking partner and I plan to pick up our NOBO section hike at Hot Springs. We have the first week of March open because of spring break. Is this an ok idea "weather wise"? Has anyone been up there in early spring? We have checked historical weather patterns and temps. I'd appreciate input. "Has anyone been up there in early spring?".....lol...Of course not that section is closed till the snowpack melts....:eek:......lolololol....

The Cleaner
01-08-2013, 09:55
You can plan on staying in shelters, but at this time of the year I would always carry something (tarp, poncho) with which to make an emergency shelter. The mice would appreciate your company:rolleyes:......

The Cleaner
01-08-2013, 10:02
On my first trip with a brand new backpack,at Spring Mtn shelter,the mice chewed up the zipper to the lower section:eek:.....I've heard reports recently of lots of mice activity there.Nice campsites on hill just above shelter.Try not to put tent under/near widowmaker trees....

Chaco Taco
01-16-2013, 11:02
My hiking partner and I plan to pick up our NOBO section hike at Hot Springs. We have the first week of March open because of spring break. Is this an ok idea "weather wise"? Has anyone been up there in early spring? We have checked historical weather patterns and temps. I'd appreciate input.
I went in early March 09 along this section and there had been a major snow storm that dumped 2-3 feet of snow on the high ridges. Just know the weather is different on each summit and postholing sucks. Blowdowns will be a factor as well. There are plenty of places in this general area and points south to go if this falls through and its easy to get to. Hot Springs is a great point to get in and out of. It could be 70 degrees or 7 degrees.