PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoeing on the AT

Cookerhiker
01-04-2013, 21:26
This recent edition (http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2013/features/snowshoeing-appalachian-trail-winter.cfm?utm_source=amcoo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=janamcoo) of AMC Outdoors lists 6 parts of the AT that are good for snowshoeing. The recommended hikes (all day hikes per the article) are:

1. Maine - Piazza Rock and Saddleback from Rt. 4
2. New Hampshire - Lonesome Lake loop from Baisin Parking area
3. New Hampshire - Mt. Moosilauke from the west (thankfully)
4. Vermont - Spruce Peak
5. New York - Harriman Park
6. New Jersey - Delaware Water Gap NRA around Mohican Outdoor Center

I hiked in snowshoes for the first time in my life on New Year's Day and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more!

johnnybgood
01-04-2013, 22:04
Great info. to know Cookerhiker. I too enjoyed my first experience shoeshoeing in New Hampshire .
Shenandoah Nat'l Park,say from Thornton Gap > Compton Gap would be pretty cool.

HikerMom58
01-04-2013, 22:07
Thanks Cookerhiker!!! I also went snowshoeing for the first time in VT a couple of years ago... it was fun! I like CC skiing 2.

Driver8
01-04-2013, 23:35
This recent edition (http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2013/features/snowshoeing-appalachian-trail-winter.cfm?utm_source=amcoo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=janamcoo) of AMC Outdoors lists 6 parts of the AT that are good for snowshoeing. The recommended hikes (all day hikes per the article) are:

1. Maine - Piazza Rock and Saddleback from Rt. 4
2. New Hampshire - Lonesome Lake loop from Baisin Parking area
3. New Hampshire - Mt. Moosilauke from the west (thankfully)
4. Vermont - Spruce Peak
5. New York - Harriman Park
6. New Jersey - Delaware Water Gap NRA around Mohican Outdoor Center

I hiked in snowshoes for the first time in my life on New Year's Day and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more!

I'd think Stratton wouldn't be too bad, maybe Killington from Rt. 4, too. A hike from Crawford Notch in the direction of the Zealand Falls hut would probably be ok, too, from what I gather.

Feral Bill
01-05-2013, 00:54
I've enjoyed snowshoeing in Harriman in past years. In a few places (like the Lemon Squeezer), it might pay to reroute or posthole a bit. Lots of possible loops, too.

peakbagger
01-05-2013, 09:51
Viewsfromthetop.com is the most active forum that covers the whites. There is actually a thread going on now about beginner winter hikes.

Most of the major trails are broken out within 3 days of storm in the whites so breaking trail is generally not required but should be prepared to do so. The blazing isnt set up for winter and 4 or 5 feet of snow can bury them all. There are spots on the AT in the whites that can require significant route finding skills in winter as the trail blows in with snow and the trail is not neccesaraly the clearest path through the woods.

Old Hillwalker
01-06-2013, 08:59
Here are some pictures of the Smart's Mountain Ranger Cabin on the AT in NH, mid-winter. Note the White Blaze on the tree. I painted that blaze about seven feet up.1883718838188391884018841

rustmd
01-06-2013, 10:54
old hillwalker, i was there this past summer, my NH-AT section hike. beautiful in summer & stunning in winter.

nice blaze.
.com

Another Kevin
01-06-2013, 10:58
I've enjoyed snowshoeing in Harriman in the past, but the AT isn't the ideal trail for it. Between the wet sloppy snow you get down there, and the suburbanites splooshing through it barebooted, the AT turns into a skating rink.

Rerouting around the Lemon Squeezer is easy: as you're coming up to it from Island Pond, turn right on the Arden-Surebridge (red triangle on white), go about a thousand feet and turn left on the NY Long Path (aqua rectangle). Less than a mile up that and you're back on the AT at the signpost.

If you are a beginner snowshoer, the 1777 trail is a good choice, because it's on former roads and doesn't have anything really steep. (Stay off the Doodletown bridle path: the X-C skiers will curse you if you snowshoe there.) If you're up for something a little more aggressive, the Ramapo-Dunderberg is pretty, and follows ridges most of the way through the park. Bring microspikes, there are a couple of scrambly spots.

Better, get the NYNJTC trail map, there are a ton of options, and most of them are nice. The lower-lying areas of the park are sucking swamp in warm weather, but beautiful once they're frozen over.

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 11:41
Here are some pictures of the Smart's Mountain Ranger Cabin on the AT in NH, mid-winter. Note the White Blaze on the tree. I painted that blaze about seven feet up.1883718838188391884018841

These pics are so beautiful ... thanks Hillwalker. I see you are from ME. I wonder what this winter will bring as far as snowfall. I miss New England's Autumns and Winters. The beauty is breath-taking! :)

peakbagger..I'm going to check out Viewsfromthetop.com :)

Feral Bill
01-06-2013, 13:58
I

Rerouting around the Lemon Squeezer is easy: as you're coming up to it from Island Pond, turn right on the Arden-Surebridge (red triangle on white), go about a thousand feet and turn left on the NY Long Path (aqua rectangle). Less than a mile up that and you're back on the AT at the signpost.

Or just bear left around the big rock and walk uphill that way to pick up the trail at the top. Like you said, there are a ton of options.

Cookerhiker
01-06-2013, 14:17
Thanks Cookerhiker!!! I also went snowshoeing for the first time in VT a couple of years ago... it was fun! I like CC skiing 2.

Hey HikerMom, closer to home for you (and me): any good snowshoeing and/or sking at Watoga State Park in WV? I know there's plenty of snow further north in the Canaan Valley but what about Marlinton & Watoga? How's the snow level? Does Watoga rent snowshoes & skis (Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley SPs do)? Watoga's website is down right now.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2013, 15:10
Light snow coming down as we type :) A good couple of feet on the ground, even at low elevations. Much more higher up.

For the most part, the AT is not an ideal path to try and snowshoe on. Yes, there are some sections which are okay, but there are much better trails to use. The Pemi is one good area. RMC trails here in Randolph are also popular. My goal this winter is to showshoe 50 miles of RMC trails (the club maintains 100 miles of trail). I best get started soon...

Another Kevin
01-07-2013, 12:33
Or just bear left around the big rock and walk uphill that way to pick up the trail at the top. Like you said, there are a ton of options.

Yeah. I just like the NY LP better in winter, the AT always seems to be churned up, and the nettles that plague that bit of the LP in summer have died back. (Although the last time I was in there, it still had a ton of uncleared blowdown from Irene.)

Chaco Taco
01-09-2013, 07:08
Did Tecumseh Sunday in shoes, my first snowshoe experience. It was great. Going to Carter Notch Hut in 2 weeks.

HikerMom58
01-09-2013, 07:40
Hey HikerMom, closer to home for you (and me): any good snowshoeing and/or sking at Watoga State Park in WV? I know there's plenty of snow further north in the Canaan Valley but what about Marlinton & Watoga? How's the snow level? Does Watoga rent snowshoes & skis (Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley SPs do)? Watoga's website is down right now.

Hey Cookerhiker... I'm just now seeing this :eek:. I don't know about snow at Watoga. I've never heard of sking or snowshoeing there. We always go skiing at Winterplace in WV. I'd love to go to some place different tho. Now, we are in a January thaw... WOW. I'll check the website. :) Maybe it's back up.

Chaco Taco
01-09-2013, 07:53
We just got the AMC Outdoors mag too. Id like to see Saddlebacks in Winter. I could also see an easy overnighter, Zealand Falls to Ethan Pond. Totally flat and you could see Thoreau Falls frozen. We are still gathering winter gear, but it is expensive. I tried some Denali's on Sunday and am going to check out some of the newer MSR's that I can attach tails too. We passed plenty of people on Sunday, most were wearing some sort of MSR shoe and had good things to say. Then you have to have microspikes, and crampons and clothing $$$. Some of the higher summits look icy and with the coming thaw and refreeze, crampons will be more of the gear of choice, especially on the ridges. Ill be interested to see how climbing Carter in 2 weeks will be. Plenty of folks out doing winter 4000 footers. Winter hiking makes me appreciate day hikes. Im an overnighter kind of guy but am limited with the whole equipment thing. I love winter hiking, I do know that :)

HikerMom58
01-09-2013, 08:07
That's weird.. I keep trying to comment to Chaco Taco. Sounds like u are having a great time in the snow... jealous. :)

Danielle K
01-09-2013, 09:55
Thanks for posting these! I'm looking forward to trying these.

Cookerhiker
01-09-2013, 10:46
Did Tecumseh Sunday in shoes, my first snowshoe experience. It was great. Going to Carter Notch Hut in 2 weeks.

Really cool! New Year's Day was my first-ever snowshoe experience (no excuse at my age:o) at New Germany State Park (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/newgermany.asp) in Western MD.

Chaco Taco
01-19-2013, 21:50
Hiked up to Carter Hut yesterday. Only needed snowshoes for the section from the Carter Dome Trail to the hut. Today, coming back down, we needed them the whole way, got 3-4 inches of new snow. Perfect for shoes.