PDA

View Full Version : what to do about eyewear?

Max L
01-05-2013, 00:09
Anyone out there thru or section hike with glasses or contacts. Ideally I would have switched to extended wear contacts that one can wear 24/7 but my eyes are pretty sensitive... even wearing daily contacts more than 16 hours a day for a few days in a row irritates my eyes. I tried a few different brands out this fall but contacts are something I just can't wear in long stretches.
This means I have few options;

1) bring daily contacts on the trail and need to remove and put in contacts every morning and night (not a very sanity option)... along with bringing saline solution and a contact case.
2) rely on my glasses. wear my new frames. deal with getting them dirty all time from sweat/fog/ect, risk breaking them, and also carry a my old frames as back up and a case (i have really bad vision can't go with out back ups).
3) bring contacts and contact accessories, wear those regularly and also bring glasses/case along as a back up.

In past canoeing and hiking trips I went with contacts. Putting them in and taking out were tedious. but those where only 7-10 day trips not 5+ months. I really doubt option #1 is viable. Any suggestions?

Blissful
01-05-2013, 00:13
I hiked with glasses the whole time and had the lenses pop out once. Need to bring your prescription in case something happens.

Marta
01-05-2013, 00:15
I took option two. (I don't have or wear contacts.) Good thing I had a backup pair of glasses because I lost my main pair--probably dropped them in a water source, but I never found them.

Hosaphone
01-05-2013, 01:09
I go with option #3, but I'm new to using contacts so that might change as I get better at putting them in.

Putting in contacts gets easier with practice. A friend of mine can do it on the first try pretty much every time and it takes him all of 30 seconds or so to put them in. Consider bringing a small mirror (I have a signaling mirror that weighs 1/2oz. Big enough that you can prop it up against something while you do this, lets you see how dirty you look, and can be used as a survival tool).

Look into the 1-day disposable contacts. No need to carry solution or a case, don't need to worry about losing them, and you don't have to worry as much about sanitary problems (but still, wash your hands before you go poking those grubby fingers in your eyes). 5 pairs of the 1-day's weighs in at around 1/2 an ounce. You could maildrop or bounce a supply of them along the trail.

Haven't done a thru hike. Possible that I would get sick of putting in contacts all the time and maybe only use them on rainy days when having glasses on is extra miserable (I HATE rain on my glasses...), or maybe I'd get so good at it that putting them in would be a non-issue.

Also, I'm sure you've tried everything already, but the 1-day lenses are supposed to be a lot more comfortable on your eyes. Since you change them out every day, there isn't really a chance for protein and other crap to build up on them. There are also drops you can get that are supposed to help. I dunno, I'm still pretty new to wearing contacts.

HooKooDooKu
01-05-2013, 01:26
I always hike in my contacts and bring along a pair of glasses as backups as well as quick vision if I have to get up in the middle of the night.

Lyle
01-05-2013, 09:18
I hike with glasses. Clean bandana for cleaning. New scratch resistant lenses are way less fragile, and new spring frames do not bend out of shape. Ball cap for rainy days.

On my face during the day, in my shoe at night.

Rocket Jones
01-05-2013, 09:28
When hiking I keep my glasses on a croakie lanyard (http://store.croakies.com/titeendadjustablecords.aspx) around my neck. In my case, I need the glasses for distance and have to take them off to read, so it's handy to just slide them off and let them hang while checking maps, guidebooks, etc. For anti-fogging I use Cat Crap (http://www.campmor.com/cat-crap-anti-fog-lens-cleaner-1.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=83081&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}). It's not perfect, but it does help. I also carry a small piece of glasses-cleaning cloth, and that's the only thing I use it for (no dual use for this!).

And definitely a brimmed hat of some sort. Ball caps work better under a hood, but I prefer a boonie.

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2013, 09:45
I've been wearing contacts long enough that I'm more comfortable without my pants than without contacts. The new miltifocal lenses are terrific for "mature" eyes. And it does get easier with practice. To me, it's pretty much the same as brushing your teeth; I don't even have to think about it.

Just make sure you wash your hands well. A good lightweight wash basin can be made from the lower half of a gallon plastic jug. I tried various combinations of towels, because I don't think a bandana is quite absorbant enough (plus you'd want a dedicated one just for the eyes), and finally settled on the smallest packtowel. The size is right, it feels like soft chamious on my eyelids, and it's easy to keep clean.

Bring a spare pair, and your glasses, if your vision is such that you can't see to find your way around, like me. I'm free to make whatever I want of the world beyond a few inches, especially at night when the whole world fades to a black blur. I also carry a tiny mirror, even though i can easily insert the lenses without it. Never know when you might get an eyelash or whatever in your eye. You've already likely found out how uncomfortable that is! My mirror is a little 1" by 3" strip. It's glass, I haven't been able to find a non-glass one with enough quality for me. (Suggestions, anyone??)

Any water fit to drink will also be fine for hand washing. Since I'm using soap, I generally don't treat the handwashing water, and so far, haven't had a problem. I like Ivory soap, and carry a sliver of a bar in a ziplock, and haven't been able to figure out a way to keep it from getting squishy with use. The bit of soap is too small to justify a plastic soap box, or find a smaller box that would work, and after a while, I just dip out a small finger-full of goo.

If it gets cold, bring your contacts into your bag with you. Having the lenses freeze wouldn't be good, and putting an icy cold lens in your eyes is a real eye-opener! Better than strong coffee with a double shot of espresso for a wakeup!

rusty bumper
01-05-2013, 10:18
For several years prior to my AT hike I wore rimless glasses. I didn't think those would be tough enough for 5+ months on the AT, so I bought a new pair prior to heading for Springer. I purchased "memory metal" frames with full rims that are extremely flexible and durable. I wore them all day, every day, and at night they were stowed in the mesh pocket in my tent. I couldn't have been happier with my choice!

buff_jeff
01-05-2013, 12:40
At first I'd hike with prescription sunglasses and glasses, but I got sick of the lenses fogging and I can't stand the way glasses feel during everyday wear.

I've also worn contacts for multi-week hikes without issue. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I feel that the hygiene concerns with contacts are overblown. I've worn contacts throughout pretty unsanitary army training as well and never had an issue. Just make sure to rinse your hands off with water to get rid of grime first, and then use some hand sanitizer and you should be good to go.

leaftye
01-05-2013, 13:01
This year I bought some $7 prescription eyeglasses from Zenni Optical (http://www.zennioptical.com/). At that price, I can afford to go through a few pairs on a hike. Each pair comes with a hard plastic case and lens cloth. A couple extra bucks will buy clip on shades and seemed to be trimmed to fit the frame.

If you go this route, keep in mind that it takes a couple weeks for the eyeglasses to arrive, so you'd probably do well to order a few pairs in advance and have them sent from home as needed.

evyck da fleet
01-05-2013, 13:02
Hiked with contacts this year. Wore the two week disposals. Tried to take them out every night but forgot a few times and wound up popping a few out when I got up in the middle of the night to water the bushes. Other than that it doesn't matter if they are monthly or daily lenses you'll still be touching them everyday. I'd Purell my hands before removing them from the solution and never had any eye problems. I brought a little mirror with me but never used it (or mailed it home for that matter).

I did wind up ordering more contacts and having them sent in a mail drop with maps to me becasue of losing a few popping them out. Of course I didn't pop another oneout after ordering more.

MuddyWaters
01-05-2013, 13:13
I wear glasses, they are just simpler.
I dont take any backups
There is no reason to ever lose your glasses , kind of like losing your pack. Get over that fear. You cant have a backup for everything.
Dont do something stupid like look down over the edge of a cliff with them on though. If you do you might lget whats coming. Be smart and youll be fine.

Tighten screws, and put a drop of superglue on them. And dont worry.

You can lose a lens and still see with the other eye to get to next town. So you already have some redundancy.
You can also hold that lens up to your eye when you need to see distance.
You can follow the trail in most areas, even without glasses. Its pretty darn distinct
You can ducttape things together if you have to as well.

Ive never had a problem with dirty glasses on the trail. Rinse with a little water to remove dirt, wash with a drop of soap, rinse again. Dry in minutes
Never wipe lenses with anything out on the trail if you want them to stay scratch free.

leaftye
01-05-2013, 13:26
There is no reason to ever lose your glasses , kind of like losing your pack. Get over that fear.

Sure there is. If you're not blind and can get buy without eyeglasses most of the time, it's very easy to lose eyeglasses. It's not like shoes or a pack that I couldn't possibly fail to notice. It's more like the bandana tied to my shoulder strap that I might only notice when I go to use it.

I temporarily lost a pair in a trail town. Fortunately I had stayed with a friend, so I was able to retrieve them later that year.

Even so, I don't carry an extra pair of eyeglasses, but I do have extra pairs at home to have mailed out to the next trail town.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2013, 13:46
You can lose a lens and still see with the other eye to get to next town.

I lost a lens leaving the GSMNP and no way could I hike with only one lens. Totally messes up depth perception. I even tried making an eye patch so as not to use the eye with the missing lens and that did work very well either. I had had a lot of trouble with that lens falling out before the hike, so it was kinda stupid for me not to have had it fixed before hand.

Ended up hiking with the world out of focus all the way to Erwin before I could get a replacement made. And then only because I happened to meet 10K on the trail and he was able to get me a ride to a mall in Johnson City with a 1 hour place. It really wasn't all that bad having the world out of focus for a couple of weeks.

I also usually store my glasses inside my boot at night, especially in shelters. I carry a microfiber cloth for cleaning. It's also a good idea to carry a repair kit to replace screws. That has saved me a couple of times.

Tinker
01-05-2013, 13:54
I wore soft contacts way back in the '80s. I hear that they are much better now.

I tore one once and it scratched my eye, and I lost one inside a tent when the outside temps were in the teens.
I didn't bother looking for it - assumed it had been rolled over on and shattered in the cold.

I wear glasses now - light metal frames and plastic (aren't they all now??) lenses.

I would wear my glasses if I had the option to thruhike, and maybe bring a pair of clip on sunglasses (made for my glasses, not generic).

Tinker
01-05-2013, 13:58
Sure there is. If you're not blind and can get buy without eyeglasses most of the time, it's very easy to lose eyeglasses. It's not like shoes or a pack that I couldn't possibly fail to notice. It's more like the bandana tied to my shoulder strap that I might only notice when I go to use it.

I temporarily lost a pair in a trail town. Fortunately I had stayed with a friend, so I was able to retrieve them later that year.

Even so, I don't carry an extra pair of eyeglasses, but I do have extra pairs at home to have mailed out to the next trail town.

Good answer.

I lost a very expensive pair of glasses in the back of a covered dump truck in a pile of brush (they got snagged on a branch and I just thought that my face had been brushed). I didn't notice that they were gone until the truck was fully loaded and I got back in the sunlight outside.
I looked for them for an hour when we dumped the truck - never found them.
I'm nearsighted - can see fine up to about 8-10 feet. Things get fuzzy after that, and I need glasses to drive, and bifocals help me to read.

Miner
01-05-2013, 14:02
When I hiked the PCT, for different sections, I swapped between using my eyeglasses and wearing extended contacts. When wearing my glasses I always had spare contacts with me as a backup and visa-versa.

For 2 months on the AT this past fall, I just wore my eyeglasses which had transition lenses (ie. darken in sunlight). I carried a pair of contacts as a backup with more in a bounc box. I had no issues except having to tighten the screws on the earpieces when they loosened up (bought one of those small eye glass repair kits from a pharmacy). I had a small strap attached to the ear pieces so that the glasses woud hang around my neck in case they fell off. I have found that wearing a baseball cap under a rain hood does a better job in keeping rain off the glasses as you hike and recommend the ATC's mesh AT Logo baseball cap for use on the trail.

Miner
01-05-2013, 14:09
Forgot to mention, I also always carried a small bottle of lens cleaner (smallest they sell and it lasts most of a hike) and a cleaning cloth. Was nice to have for cleaning my glasses everynight since they quickly get dirty during the day. I originally brought it for my camera lens since I carry a large camera. Having dirt on a camera lens that catches sunlight can ruin a photo.

Double Wide
01-05-2013, 14:32
I only need glasses for driving, watching movies, etc., but have worn prescription sunglasses constantly when outdoors. For my hike next year (I finally get to say that!) I'm going with plastic/polymer frames with transition lenses in them, along with Croakies to hold them on, or hang them from around my next when not needed.

Even without using my optical insurance, it's only like $160 for a pair. Gonna buy two before I go, keeping one at home until I eventually break or lose the first pair.

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2013, 16:14
.... I feel that the hygiene concerns with contacts are overblown. I've worn contacts throughout pretty unsanitary army training as well and never had an issue. Just make sure to rinse your hands off with water to get rid of grime first, and then use some hand sanitizer and you should be good to go.

To a certain extent, you're right. Tears contain lysozyme, an enzyme that ruptures (or lyses) bacterial cell walls, providing a natural disinfectant for your eyes. Washing is all you need. I have oily skin, so I use the soap to strip the oils off my hands. Gotta take issue with the hand sanitizer, though. Perhaps it was my technique, but enough residual was still on my hands to make my contacts feel like I'd just stuck hot coals in my eye! Hoo, man, that hurt! Perhaps if I'd rinsed with water afterwards?

Another Kevin
01-05-2013, 16:44
On my clueless weekends, I wear my prescription glasses, with a Croakies retainer. I carry my prescription sunglasses so that at least during daylight hours I have a backup pair. I clean them with a bandana. I usually moisten them by breathing on them. If they get something really yucky splatted on them I'll clean it off with a drop of stove alcohol.

In windy weather I might bring along my company-issue safety glasses. I find that the side shields help - essentially using them as goggles (that cost me nothing because the company provides safety glasses). Real goggles give me a problem because my glasses always frost up under them. I haven't found a good solution for that, and I have trouble with contacts for multiple reasons.

MuddyWaters
01-05-2013, 18:01
I lost a lens leaving the GSMNP and no way could I hike with only one lens. Totally messes up depth perception. I even tried making an eye patch so as not to use the eye with the missing lens and that did work very well either. I had had a lot of trouble with that lens falling out before the hike, so it was kinda stupid for me not to have had it fixed before hand.

Ended up hiking with the world out of focus all the way to Erwin before I could get a replacement made. And then only because I happened to meet 10K on the trail and he was able to get me a ride to a mall in Johnson City with a 1 hour place. It really wasn't all that bad having the world out of focus for a couple of weeks.

I also usually store my glasses inside my boot at night, especially in shelters. I carry a microfiber cloth for cleaning. It's also a good idea to carry a repair kit to replace screws. That has saved me a couple of times.

Thank you for making my point.
You survived.
I ripped a contact once in college, and didnt have any glasses. I went around for week with one contact until new ones came in. This, for a person legally blind without correction in both eyes. You can, and will get used to it. Headaches at first until learn to tune out the other eye.

I only use flexon frames the last 10 yrs because I have had excellent results with them. I sleep in my glasses a lot of the time, and these dont get bent up. The only time I ever take them off, they will be right by my sleeping pad. or even inside my bag. Some sleeping bags have a zipper pocket for them. I simply cannot see ever losing them. If you need them, they will be on 100% of the time you are not sleeping.

Then its less of a problem for sure. More of an inconvenience, than critical item.

You need a plan to handle issues. But that plan doesnt have to be carrying an extra pair of glasses.

Papa D
01-05-2013, 21:25
When I thru-hiked, I didn't have glasses (though I probably needed them). Now, I just wear them with croakies - - deal with them in the rain

Astro
01-05-2013, 23:02
Option 2 without the backup (which is probably not a bad idea)

Slo-go'en
01-05-2013, 23:25
Speaking of eyeware, has anyone else have this problem ?

I had a pair of perscription "cool hiker dude" polarized sunglasses made last summer. First time I tried to hike with them on, I nearly broke my neck. My depth perception was way off. The ground was at least 6" farther away from my feet then my eyes thought it was. I can't hike with them on uneven ground. I can only use them on level ground where I don't need to look at my feet. Really wierd and unsettling.

Maui Rhino
01-05-2013, 23:47
I always wear eyeglasses, as contact irritate my eyes too much. Along with my standard daily-wear prescription glasses, I use Bolle Vigilante sunglasses with the Rx insert. It has intercangeable lenses (dark/yellow/clear) and provides wrap-around eye protection with minimal fogging. I use the regular sunglass lens in bright light, yellow lens for fog/rain, and clear lens for night hiking. I can also just use the Rx insert without the sunglass lenses if desired, so I always have a spare.

lobotomized
02-26-2013, 12:13
I'll be bringing daily contacts and a backup pair of glasses so I can see where I'm going when if I need to water the bushes at night. I thought about bringing my monthly lenses, which I can sleep in occasionally, but the thought of carrying extra solution and the inconvenience of losing one lens convinced me to get dailies.

prain4u
02-26-2013, 12:57
I think the differences of opinion on this thread almost all boil down to differences in people's eyeglass prescriptions (near-sighted or far-sighted, slight correction needed or strong correction needed, prisms needed or not-needed etc). Those factors dictate WHY they use their glasses /contacts and HOW they use their glasses /contacts. Such things also determine one's likelihood of losing their glasses--and their ability to function (even for just a few hours) without their glasses. They also probably determine one's "need" to have a back-up pair of glasses. The prescription plays a huge factor in all of the ideas that are being discussed.

terryg49
02-26-2013, 12:57
I carry an extra pair of glasses. Met a sobo guy once a few miles north of Dick's creek. I was NOBO. He say to me "How far to the NC Ga line' He had broken the only pair of glasses he had and was walking nearly blind. I hated to thell him he had passed the state line 5 or 6 back up the trail and never seen the sign.

FatHead64
02-26-2013, 16:08
I think the differences of opinion on this thread almost all boil down to differences in people's eyeglass prescriptions (near-sighted or far-sighted, slight correction needed or strong correction needed, prisms needed or not-needed etc). Those factors dictate WHY they use their glasses /contacts and HOW they use their glasses /contacts. Such things also determine one's likelihood of losing their glasses--and their ability to function (even for just a few hours) without their glasses. They also probably determine one's "need" to have a back-up pair of glasses. The prescription plays a huge factor in all of the ideas that are being discussed.

Completely agree with this. I am extremely near-sighted (clear vision for maybe 6 inches, max) so, for me, they are always on unless I am sleeping or they got knocked off. However, even I need bifocals now and will take them off to look at something close. Others can do that more frequently and therein lies the ability to lose them. I am so near-sighted I will have a backup pair whenever I get to do a thru. I have to have them.

Liminal
02-26-2013, 16:18
got my Zenni glasses a few weeks ago... great cheap eyeglasses for the trail!!! ...funky styles too

klpicktown
02-26-2013, 16:49
I use daily contacts (new pair everyday - greatest advice Ive ever taken about contacts/glasses - love them!) and I bring glasses for night. Just sanitize before putting in and taking out contacts.

colorado_rob
02-26-2013, 16:55
I wear a "mild prescription", and though I can live without them, I sure do enjoy things better with glasses. So I bought two pair of prescription sunglasses at Walmart, $60 each pair, one a light colored rose, the other a light colored amber. Neither will block too much light and are basically excellent to wear even in very dim conditions. Check out Walmart prices. I'll just leave my normal glasses at home and rely on these mild sunglasses.

Ender
02-26-2013, 17:05
I use 2-week disposable contacts while hiking. I take them out every night (well... mostly), wash them well, and then wash them again in the morning. I've never had a problem with this method. I bring glasses sometimes, but rarely end up using them.

prain4u
02-26-2013, 17:39
got my Zenni glasses a few weeks ago... great cheap eyeglasses for the trail!!! ...funky styles too

I use daily contacts ......and I bring glasses for night......

I wear a "mild prescription", ....So I bought two pair of prescription sunglasses at Walmart, $60 each pair, one a light colored rose, the other a light colored amber.......

I use 2-week disposable contacts while hiking.....

I use LENSES that cost $500 -$800 a pair (not counting frames) :eek: It is heck to have super crappy vision! I wear progressive lenses (instead of wearing trifocals or quadfocals). I have double vision--both up/down and left/right double-vision. So I need prisms in the lenses to correct both kinds of double vision. I have astigmatism. I am super nearsighted in one eye. The other eye has a lens implant following cataract surgery. etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on.

How I wish that I had the same (less expensive and flexible) options that so many of you have!

OzJacko
02-26-2013, 21:53
I use LENSES that cost $500 -$800 a pair (not counting frames) :eek: It is heck to have super crappy vision! I wear progressive lenses (instead of wearing trifocals or quadfocals). I have double vision--both up/down and left/right double-vision. So I need prisms in the lenses to correct both kinds of double vision. I have astigmatism. I am super nearsighted in one eye. The other eye has a lens implant following cataract surgery. etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on.

How I wish that I had the same (less expensive and flexible) options that so many of you have!
Not quite as bad - I only have one eye that has the $500 type lens. The other is not as bad.
I am taking a couple pair of contacts as emergency backup but I am not overly comfortable with them and they do nothing for the astigmatism or the need for reading lenses.
When I did my 600 mile hike in 2011 I just wore my glasses and had no problems (except rain on them, but what the heck).
For my thru this year I have taken my last pair of prescription glasses and got the lenses replaced with my new prescription. There's not a lot of difference so I am taking my old lenses as well (will probably "bounce box" them and just carry the contacts on trail). I also have my prescription with me. I will leave my new ($1000) glasses home.

Glo-Worm
02-26-2013, 22:35
I wear glasses and had no problem with them. Make sure you get sturdy, full frames and relatively narrow lens so they don't fog up.

Papa D
02-26-2013, 22:37
I wear glasses with croakies - not a big problem at all

drifter
02-26-2013, 23:17
I agree with prain4u and fathead64......goes back to specific circumstances. Personally I'm extremely far sighted but wear regular gas permeable contacts and pop them out at night (of course bringing my eyeglasses for those 10 minutes or so before climbing in the bag and first thing in the morning). Just need to use common sense in keeping hands sanitary. I realize some folks eyes are more sensitive than others but personally I love the freedom of contacts and its worth the extra effort to care for them.

leaftye
06-12-2013, 23:25
Anyone have experience with prescription sunglasses like these? It's more for when I want better coverage for my eyes. I'm trying to get Zenni to start carrying their frames. I hate the ones they have now, or at least the frame/lens combos they have.
http://dx.com/p/carshiro-cycling-riding-uv400-protection-polarized-resin-sunglasses-for-men-black-215126
http://dx.com/p/carshiro-1205-cycling-riding-uv400-protection-polarized-resin-lens-for-men-black-215274

shakey_snake
06-12-2013, 23:44
I keep my contacts in for months at a time.

leaftye
06-13-2013, 03:34
Okay, forget Zenni. I'm hating them right now. Either they're morons or indifferent.

Anyhow, it looks like 39dollarglasses can put lenses in anything, so I'll give them a shot. It's more than I want to pay, but maybe I'll find a better price while I'm waiting for my frames to arrive from China.
https://www.39dollarglasses.com/product_info/use_your_own_frame.html

S'more
06-14-2013, 22:01
Daily disposables, with glasses for backup. I need (and want) to be able to see. My glasses don't give me the sun protection, so I also use good sunglasses with my contacts. Sleep with the packages so they wont freeze.

WalksInDark
06-14-2013, 22:48
I use photo chromatic (light darkening) real GLASS eyeglasses on a croakie. I also put my lenses into a pair of Ray Bay wire rim frames so that I can either bend them back into shape and/or easily buy replacement lenses.

While real glass lenses are heavier than plastic lenses...they are much harder to scratch or pop out of the frames.

Last word to the wise: if you wear bifocals, be sure to keep the lower lens significantly lower than your normal use lenses. Otherwise, you will be tripping on a regular basis as your vision switches between the upper and lower lens elements.

Durtydan
06-14-2013, 23:19
absolutely go with option 3. contacts are annoying but aside from spending thousands to get laser surgery, you're stuck with em. my eyes are awful also and pretty sensitive so it's good to wear contacts for days and glasses at night, but that can be annoying to wash your hands everyday thoroughly enough to take them out and put them in, so what I did was asked my eye dr who found me pairs that aren't long term, but something like 2 week lenses that I can sleep in but it's not really recommended everyday as it hurts so I go 2-3 days mainly with contacts then a day with glasses.

in your case, if you can handle sleeping in them for a night or 2, maybe you can do 2 days on, 1 day off or take them out sooner if you must. I completely agree that glasses on the trail can be annoying sometimes but I also have complaints about contacts and what it does to my eyes but I'll take that over glasses anyday.
ever go to duck under a hanging tree on the trail, have them fall off causing you to go totally blind, and try to find them and pick them up with your heavy bag on that you're too afraid to put down in fear of crushing them? yeah I didn't like it either lol. contacts it is for me, glasses are a good nighttime use/backup item.

+1 for UL signal mirror. works like a charm

leaftye
06-25-2013, 15:00
So after all that grief with Zenni, they added the frame and lens combo I was asking for. So now I have the other frame coming from DX and the Zenni glasses w/prescription too.

I previously bought photochromic glasses from them for about $30, and they're nice, but I wanted something with more coverage, especially when I'm on snow.

fins1838
06-25-2013, 15:04
glasses. ez shpeezie

RockDoc
06-25-2013, 22:25
On my last 500 mile section hike (VA) the first thing that happened was that my glasses fell apart. I splinted it together but it was a royal pain, until I bought some cheap reading glasses at Walmart in Waynesboro, and then got my previous pair of prescription glasses mailed to me which I picked up at Pearisburg. All this while doing fairly big miles (20-25) for an old guy.
In the future I would travel with a spare set.

leaftye
07-04-2013, 14:07
I didn't realize sunglasses AND eyeglasses were such a monopoly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUiWOGv8ec

rocketsocks
07-05-2013, 03:34
I didn't realize sunglasses AND eyeglasses were such a monopoly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUiWOGv8ec

Nor did Eye....thanks for that, very interesting in deed....passing this on. I hate Monopoly :mad:

stillatit
07-06-2013, 17:13
After years of wearing contacts when hiking or skiing, I had to go back to glasses as the contacts did irreparable damage to my eyes. Now I suffer from permanently dry eyes & have to put drops in throughout the day and a gel in at night. Earlier I just had "sensitive eyes" to quote you (when wearing contacts). I just did over 2 months on the trail and took an old pair of glasses in case they broke, and, of course, they did. I also took backups so I was okay.

Be careful of overwearing contacts if you have sensitive eyes, lest you wind up like me and (1) can never wear contacts again and (2) must do this drop/gel thing for rest of your life.

Cherokee Bill
07-07-2013, 07:37
I hiked with glasses the whole time and had the lenses pop out once. Need to bring your prescription in case something happens.

Great suggestion (bring a copy of your Rx) :)

redseal
07-07-2013, 12:47
Off the trail, I wear contacts. On the trail, I typically wear glasses for trips less than 1 week. For trips greater than 1 week, I use extended wear contacts. In this case, I use Air Optix Night and Day. I can wear them for about 40 days straight without any issues. Not sure if you have tried these.

Drybones
07-07-2013, 13:09
I hike with glasses. Clean bandana for cleaning. New scratch resistant lenses are way less fragile, and new spring frames do not bend out of shape. Ball cap for rainy days.

On my face during the day, in my shoe at night.

This is exactly what I did last year, it was very hot with a lot of rain, glasses fogged so bad I could see very little much of the time. When I got home I had eye surgery, only need glasses now for reading, sure was more enjoyable this year without the eyewear.

MuddyWaters
07-07-2013, 13:25
Great suggestion (bring a copy of your Rx) :)

an optometrist can measure your prescription from your existing glasses.

Not a bad idea, but not totally necessary either.

I used to break glasses all the time, until I started wearing flexon frames.
I havent broken a pair since, and I often sleep with mine on.

expect cheap frames to fatigue and break eventually.

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2013, 16:15
I've worn glasses all my life. Some of this may have been covered above, but if you plan to hike with glasses:

1. Most folks don't carry two pair, but by all means have a back-up pair ready and waiting at home if you need it sent to you in a hurry.
2. Carry your current prescription with you as well as contact info for your optician in case you need something done fast.
3. Carry a small eyeglass repair kit and a small tube of crazy glue for emergency field repairs. This is especially important, if, like me,
you absolutely need eyeglasses to function.
4. Carry a hard eyeglass case and use it religiously, especially in shelters, hostels, etc., where it is very easy for someone to sit on; put
a pack on top of, or otherwise damage or destroy your glasses. Eyeglass damage is usually done by other people.
5. Glasses are among the most frequently lost items on the Trail. When not on your head, keep them in their case, and keep the case
in your pack. Taping your name and contact info in the case somewhere is also a good idea.
6. Croakies or some sort of neck cord is probably a good idea, too, especially in areas where you'll be fording big or fast-current streams.
7. The Trail is rough on eyewear. Make sure to get the toughest, most scratch-resistant lenses you can afford.
8. Glasses fogging up on you, or glasses becoming unusable in heavy rain happens all the time. Carry a clean bandana or TP in a small
Ziplock and put it in a pocket or accessible pack pouch so you can easily get at it when necessary.
9. If you presently wear rimless or other delicate glasses, I'd suggest you get new ones with a stronger frame before you start hiking.

perdidochas
07-08-2013, 11:17
Anyone out there thru or section hike with glasses or contacts. Ideally I would have switched to extended wear contacts that one can wear 24/7 but my eyes are pretty sensitive... even wearing daily contacts more than 16 hours a day for a few days in a row irritates my eyes. I tried a few different brands out this fall but contacts are something I just can't wear in long stretches.
This means I have few options;

1) bring daily contacts on the trail and need to remove and put in contacts every morning and night (not a very sanity option)... along with bringing saline solution and a contact case.
2) rely on my glasses. wear my new frames. deal with getting them dirty all time from sweat/fog/ect, risk breaking them, and also carry a my old frames as back up and a case (i have really bad vision can't go with out back ups).
3) bring contacts and contact accessories, wear those regularly and also bring glasses/case along as a back up.

In past canoeing and hiking trips I went with contacts. Putting them in and taking out were tedious. but those where only 7-10 day trips not 5+ months. I really doubt option #1 is viable. Any suggestions?

I can't imagine wearing contacts on the trail, or more specifically, taking them out and putting them back in on a daily basis. I think of contacts as a vanity thing anyway. Don't need that on the trail.

Chris10
07-08-2013, 11:55
Hi, just did a section hike last week, and though I'm a full time contact lens wearer, I went with wearing my glasses and had no major issues, and would go with my glasses again. The only real issue I had wearing the glasses was trying to clean them with out having any cotton cloth with me, and I brought along the extra weight of contacts, case, an extra pair of contacts, and 4 oz of solution without ever using them!

Maui Rhino
07-08-2013, 17:29
Although not a total solution, using an anti-fog gel for diving masks really helps to reduce and control fogging of your glasses. I've used Body Glove Fog Away on my glasses for a couple years now with good results.

da fungo
07-08-2013, 18:47
If you do wear the mono-filament type of semi-frameless glasses:
Bring along a bit of waxed dental floss. Should a lens pop out (happens fairly often) you can lay the floss across the filament; gently work the lens back in; and even more gently remove the floss.
It's easier to do than to describe.

Plodderman
07-08-2013, 23:03
Use my glasses and have an old pair just for a spare.

Hikes in Rain
07-10-2013, 12:14
I can't imagine wearing contacts on the trail, or more specifically, taking them out and putting them back in on a daily basis. I think of contacts as a vanity thing anyway. Don't need that on the trail.

Not much of an option for me. My vision is bad enough that glasses hamper almost as much as help. Consequently, I'm more comfortable without my pants than without my contacts. Besides, it's just a matter of washing your hands. I do it at home, why not on the trail?