PDA

View Full Version : AT Dreamer saying hi!

Likeapuma
01-05-2013, 10:38
I've been lurking through the forums for a while now, & finally decided to register & say hello! I was a bit nervous I'd be banished lol, since I have only hiked a very small portion of the AT in CT with scouts, probably 12 years ago now.

I've recently started hiking much more, thanks to a Kelty kid-carrier that got me back into spending time walking. So far I've only done a few day hikes, & I hope to complete what I have left of the Shenipsit Trail, & do the Nipmuck Trail here in CT. I really appreciate all the knowledge on these forums, they've helped immensely when it came time to upgrade from a school bag & basketball shorts haha. Hopefully I can get in a few overnights this year, though eastern CT doesn't allow much on-trail hiking.

Thanks again for freely sharing your experiences & expertise. Best of luck to all those embarking on their thru-hikes this year... One day I hope to join you all! If only my 2 year old would go to college already :P

Likeapuma
01-05-2013, 10:50
Camping* Eastern CT doesn't allow much on - trail CAMPING haha

Storm
01-05-2013, 10:54
Wecome to Whiteblaze, lots of different opinions here. Some bad, mostly good, you will learn to sort it out as you go.

HikerMom58
01-05-2013, 10:58
I've been lurking through the forums for a while now, & finally decided to register & say hello! I was a bit nervous I'd be banished lol, since I have only hiked a very small portion of the AT in CT with scouts, probably 12 years ago now.

I've recently started hiking much more, thanks to a Kelty kid-carrier that got me back into spending time walking. So far I've only done a few day hikes, & I hope to complete what I have left of the Shenipsit Trail, & do the Nipmuck Trail here in CT. I really appreciate all the knowledge on these forums, they've helped immensely when it came time to upgrade from a school bag & basketball shorts haha. Hopefully I can get in a few overnights this year, though eastern CT doesn't allow much on-trail hiking.

Thanks again for freely sharing your experiences & expertise. Best of luck to all those embarking on their thru-hikes this year... One day I hope to join you all! If only my 2 year old would go to college already :P

Welcome. Likeapuma... just hangin out here is fun 2!! :)

S'more
01-05-2013, 11:01
Welcome. Lots of knowledge. Even more opinions. :)

atraildreamer
01-05-2013, 12:11

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about possible banishment...you have to be real extreme to surpass some of the wackos found here :eek:(myself included! :D). Day hikes is how I got started. I bought a day pack, a couple of water bottles, a compass and a book of RI topo maps, and started walking. As I gained experience and equipment, I started hiking the AT. Take the 2 year old hiking. He'll probably enjoy it, if you start him out properly. Lots of information about hiking with kids to be found on Whiteblaze. :welcome

Likeapuma
01-05-2013, 12:24
Thanks for the warm welcome! I do take my two year old out in her carrier, weather permitting, & she loves it,espec when I let her down & lead! She even enjoys her pack... She most recently slept through a 9 mile hike!

I'm slowly gearing up, especially since Christmas! I'm a fat-body, so finding some gear is difficult to find..xxxl sized folks aren't a large part of the hiking market lop. All in due time though, as I'm comfortable with my current gear

coolness
01-05-2013, 22:57
Welcome to hiking, likeapuma!! Always glad to have another hiker join up. :)

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 23:03
Welcome!!! WE LOVE NEW PEOPLE HERE!!! WOOOHOOO!!! Enjoy your stay :) There are lots of cool people here with great stories.. We will help you with anything we can.