PDA

View Full Version : Spring Hike GSMNP Section of BM

PapaGarrettP
01-05-2013, 10:40
Hello Fellow Hikers!

I am planning a spring hike of the BM Trail though the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Up until now, my son, best friend and I have section-hiked from Amicalola Falls State Park to Fontana Dam. We have been doing all of our hikes SOBO, so as to end at the truck and drive back to Florida.

I have purchased and am studying Sgt. Rock's Thru-Hikers' Guide.

My idea is to drive up to Fontana Dam (1 day) and get a ride to Davenport Gap in March of 2013. Then spend 7 days hiking south to the truck. With a one day drive home, I am budgeting 9 days (taking a week off from work). I may take an extra day off to use as a buffer and would also pre-position 1/2 our food in a cache.

My questions:

1. Is time frame realistic (in previous section hikes we have averaged 12-13 miles per day, but have gone longer distances with each hike). We are in good shape and our packs have gotten lighter and are now about 36 lbs. (without water).

2. Am I going to have a hard time with reservations in mid-March?

3. Are there any resources I should look at (websites, etc.) that I may not have seen?

4. Anyone else contemplating this route in the Spring of 2013?

Thanks!

PapaG

brian039
01-05-2013, 12:46
I hiked the exact same route a couple of years ago. I finished in 5.5 days but that was in the middle of summer with lots of daylight. I'd say you'll finish a day or two earlier than your plan. I didn't have any trouble with reservations, I reserved a month in advance. All you'll need is the guidebook and I'd also take the Trails Illustrated map of GSMNP. Some light shoes for stream crossings would be helpful and hiking poles for said stream crossings. In the summer, the trail was really overgrown so long pants would have been better than the shorts that I wore. In Spring I doubt that will be an issue.

I saw several wild pigs and a few bears. If you happen to see pigs, mark the location on your map and let the rangers know as they are trying to eradicate them from the park.

SGT Rock
01-05-2013, 17:09
Your schedule is find. I think without hiking hard you can cover the ground. I highly recommend getting your reservations as far out as possible. Mt Sterling, Enloe Creek, and Laurel Gap Shelter all usually fill up. also, at some point this month the park is supposed to start implementing the new reservation and payment system. You may want to check in periodically for updates to the new reservation system.

chelko
01-07-2013, 14:14
Sounds like a great trip. The first day hiking up to Mt Sterling from Big Creek trailhead will get your attention. If I remember correctly it is about 4500ft gain in about 6 miles. Once you summit it is an easy almost level stroll to laurel Gap shelter for about an 11.5 mile day.