PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain weekend hike questions

AllenIsbell
01-05-2013, 13:08
Hey, everyone.

I'm in the primary stages of planning another weekend hike for my buds and I. It's likely going to be March or April. (I hope it's going to be a little warmer than our last trip a few weekends ago. It was down to 23F with high winds--ROUGH)

We are wanting to park at Woody's Gap, hike up to the summit of Blood Mountain, and back down. We will be hitting Woods Hole shelter and the Blood Mountain shelter. Not sure where we will be camping Friday night. Since we may be hiking into the night to cover as much distance as possible on the first day, we may be pitching tents off the trail. Done it before in the dark, no big deal there.

This is going to be a Friday-Sunday hike.

My questions was, how far from the Blood Mountain shelter is the summit. Also, are there any good views up there?

Any other recommendations to make the trip better in any way is appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

Camel2012
01-05-2013, 13:43
My questions was, how far from the Blood Mountain shelter is the summit. Also, are there any good views up there?

Blood mountain shelter is right on the summit. I haven't stayed there overnight, but it seems like it could get really cold up there in bad weather.
There are some good views too.

Have fun,

max patch
01-05-2013, 13:44
The Blood Mountain Shelter is on the summit. The views from the large rocks there are excellent; the heaviest used section of the AT in GA is Neels Gap to Blood Mountain, mostly dayhikers checking out the shelter and views.

Your trip does have one complication.

From March-May the 5 mile section from Jarrad Gap to Neels Gap is a no-camping zone unless you use a bear cannister. Both Woods Hole and Blood Mountain are in this zone. As a practical matter, unless you buy or rent a bear cannister, you will probably want to stay at the campsites on Lance Creek which is a mile or two S of Woods Hole. You will probably have plenty of company from thru hikers there.

max patch
01-05-2013, 13:45
The Blood Mountain Shelter is on the summit. The views from the large rocks there are excellent; the heaviest used section of the AT in GA is Neels Gap to Blood Mountain, mostly dayhikers checking out the shelter and views.

From March-May the 5 mile section from Jarrad Gap to Neels Gap is a no-camping zone unless you use a bear cannister. Both Woods Hole and Blood Mountain are in this zone. As a practical matter, unless you buy or rent a bear cannister, you will probably want to stay at the campsites on Lance Creek which is a mile or two S of Woods Hole. You will probably have plenty of company from thru hikers there.

AllenIsbell
01-06-2013, 14:22
Blood mountain shelter is right on the summit. I haven't stayed there overnight, but it seems like it could get really cold up there in bad weather.
There are some good views too.

Have fun,

Well, I can sleep decently comfortably in the mid 20F's in my tent. I have a synthetic/down insulated mummy bag that's good for 0F. It works pretty good. I was hoping it would be starting to warm up a bit by April so I wouldn't have to carry the thing along. It's about 3lbs heavier than my lightweight fleece bag that I prefer to carry. Any idea what type of temps the summit sees around March-April? Worse case, we delay the trip another month, and save a lot of weight.

That sucks. Is the Lance Creek campsite before or after the Blood Mountain shelter?

Razor
01-06-2013, 16:28
It is before if you are traveling north and it is after if you are going south. A great campsite but will be crowded in March and april with thru's.

Camel2012
01-07-2013, 13:55
Well, I can sleep decently comfortably in the mid 20F's in my tent. I have a synthetic/down insulated mummy bag that's good for 0F. It works pretty good. I was hoping it would be starting to warm up a bit by April so I wouldn't have to carry the thing along. It's about 3lbs heavier than my lightweight fleece bag that I prefer to carry. Any idea what type of temps the summit sees around March-April? Worse case, we delay the trip another month, and save a lot of weight

That sucks. Is the Lance Creek campsite before or after the Blood Mountain shelter?

I'm not sure of temps, but was there 4/17/12, and midday, it was in the 40's and 50's with visibility about 10' and rained all day.

I'm no expert, but it's just rolling the dice at this time of year. May be nice and sunny, or possible to get snow.

Lance Creek is south of blood mountain.

max patch
01-07-2013, 15:29

Lance Creek is S of both Woods Hole and Blood.

AllenIsbell
01-11-2013, 22:14
Thanks for all the help, guys.

AllenIsbell
03-08-2013, 20:11
The trip is coming up, guys!

I can't wait to get out there. We are going at the end of March. I hope the weather is nice.

Any info on where I can rent a bear canister?

Theosus
03-24-2013, 09:51
The trip is coming up, guys!

I can't wait to get out there. We are going at the end of March. I hope the weather is nice.

Any info on where I can rent a bear canister?

There are some websites that will give you mountaintop forecasts...I would check those right before going. mountain-forecast.com is one. A few days ago, the low on Blood Mountain was supposed to be 14, with a wind chill of -6. So it's still cold out there in places. It would be great to camp there and see the sunrise (or set), but the bear can rule has me put off. I'll just walk through that section. I'm coming back there in the fall to do my next section north, maybe I can plan a night on blood before moving on north.

AllenIsbell
03-24-2013, 11:41
I actually just got back last night. I was planning to stay all weekend, but my right knee was killing me.

I got to Woody's Gap around 2:30pm on Friday. Hiked to Wood's Hole Shelter and stayed the night. Started raining around 1am and didn't stop until about 9:45am. Left Woods Hole around 10:20am. Made it to the summit of Blood Mountain around 11:45am. Ate lunch there and started hiking back around 1:30pm. Made it back to the car at Woody's Gap around 7:30pm. I was planning on camping on that big rock with the great view last night, but I was in too much pain, and I knew if I slept over night that my leg would be too stiff to start hiking with 35lbs on my back.

The bear canister wasn't an issue. It only weighs 2lbs, and I liked how I could pack all of my food in there, and not have to worry about it getting crushed in my pack. I didn't mind carrying it. A lot of people think it's a big hassle. Like some lady who was in the Blood Mountain shelter was talking loudly about bear canisters, "I don't see how or why anyone would ever carry a bear canister. They weight like 10 lbs and are big and bulky." Then some guy walked around the corner to the 1st room where I was eating ramen. He said, "Hey that's a bear canister, right?" Pointing at my BV-450. I replied, "Yep, and it's only 2lbs, not 10."

To me, it's not a convenience or inconvenience.

As far as the weather goes, it rained Friday night, and remained foggy for the rest of my stay. I couldn't see 100 yards out. Completely ruined my photo opportunities. I don't think it got below 40F the whole time I was there. I was comfy.

I documented everything that I could in video on my phone. My digital camera decided to not work the entire time... Complete waste. I did break out the DSLR and tripod, but it was a waste, too. My lens wouldn't clear up long enough to take a good shot. Stupid fog!

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:45
Did you have any company at Woods Hole, and if so, were they legal?

AllenIsbell
03-24-2013, 11:47
I'm not sure what you mean by that, max.

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:54
If there were any other hikers at the shelter did they have a bear vault as required?

AllenIsbell
03-24-2013, 21:53
There was one other, and he did not have a bear canister. He hung his food on the wires.

Theosus
03-24-2013, 23:47
I plan to hike through that piece and avoid the canister issue, but they are becoming more appealing to me, just for ease of use. If I plan it right I won't have any food left then any way.