PDA

View Full Version : Large footprint on Z-packs Hexamid tent - Problems on trail?

CarlZ993
01-05-2013, 13:20
I got a new Z-packs Hexamid Solo-Plus tent for my upcoming thru-hike. I took it on a 4-day hike in Big Bend after Christmas. Once set up, I was really surprised how large the footprint was with all the guylines. With a start date of 3/21, how badly crowded are some of the campsite areas? Especially in the Smokies, where you're required to sleep in or camp by the shelters.

Camel2012
01-05-2013, 13:35
You shouldn't have a problem, the shelters on steeper hills usually don't have as much space, but worse case, you eat and get water at the shelter, and hike on a mile or so to a better camp spot.

I don't think this is anything to worry about, and there will be plenty of space in GSMNP since tenting isn't allowed unless your a thru-hiker and the shelters full.

I would say worst case scenario, you spend 5 extra mins finding a good spot.

mtnkngxt
01-14-2013, 06:48
Should not be a problem unless you're set on camping at the shelters. Personally I try to eat an early dinner and then put in some miles to find a site to pitch my tarp and go to sleep right at sunset.

Also tarping on hard compacted ground around shelters is an easy way to end up flooded in a rain storm.

leaftye
01-14-2013, 07:46
The super thin lines makes the large footprint worse as too many other backpackers don't see them, and trip over them. The next time I'm in a crowded area, like ADZPCTKO, I'm putting flagging tape on my lines, and might even change the lines to reflective cords. That said, people tripping over the lines seems to do more damage to my cardiac stability than to the Hexamid.

CarlZ993
01-14-2013, 17:22
The super thin lines makes the large footprint worse as too many other backpackers don't see them, and trip over them. The next time I'm in a crowded area, like ADZPCTKO, I'm putting flagging tape on my lines, and might even change the lines to reflective cords. That said, people tripping over the lines seems to do more damage to my cardiac stability than to the Hexamid.
I agree with the cardiac issue. On my Big Bend hike, I camped as far away from the others in order to avoid that potential problem. Using the set-length cords like Z-Packs recommended, I found that there was often something interfering with that stake placement. I'll probably get longer, reflective cord that will allow for some variance in stake placement. It may cost me an ounce or two.