PDA

View Full Version : An epiphany, I think.

Doctari
05-30-2005, 23:17
For years I have been dreaming of an AT thru hike, however I have usually felt that it was just that, A Dream. However, for the first time in years I now feel that it may actually be possible. My main “road block” was financial; looks like that will now slowly go away. Credit cards are now paid off, so now I can actually save for my hike. I already have all the gear I could possibly use, except for food.
Anyway, my point is; a 2015 thru hike may be possible for Doctari. I did the math: 5 years to get the rest of the way out of debt, 5 years to save for at home expenses. Yes, I know this post is somewhat silly; it’s just that I have wanted this for over 40 years & now it may actually happen. I no longer say: “nice dream, but only a dream”.
And, I can still section hike from time to time.

Thanks for allowing me to share!

Doctari.

Pencil Pusher
05-30-2005, 23:45
I can't even plan ahead three months, so ten years is beyond me. Perhaps a different strategy would be to save up for projected hike expenses in addition to the necessary debt payments for the length of your hike. Take six months, for example. If you're out of cc debt, presumably the remaining debt is relatively low interest. With that mindset, you could be on your hike in a year or two, versus ten. Yes, there would still be debt to pay once you got back, but you could have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. And the old addage: "Life happens while we are making plans."

neo
05-31-2005, 05:02
i started my dream in may 2001 on my first section hike,from may 2001 to may 2004 i have section hiked from amicola falls to dalton mass,in sept 2005 i will hike from dalton mass to gorham nh.:cool: neo

The Hog
05-31-2005, 06:21
The main road block is the leap of faith, where you go from 'wannabe' (dreaming and fantasizing about it) to thinking that it's actually possible. It appears that you've already made that leap! I agree with the post above - that you might want to look for ways to make it happen a little sooner than 2016... The problem with putting dreams on hold is that they can fade away, then you never get to consummate the passion.

They say time is money, but that kind of thinking may only apply to a business model, not to our lives. Why? Because money poorly spent can always be recouped, but time poorly spent is gone forever.

Smile
05-31-2005, 06:34
Doctari, great idea to plan ahead, no harm in that.
I'd have to agree with The Hog about Time/Money.

So many people I know have "waited" in life until they were "financially set" for something.......and most seem to find excuses to push their dreams/goals even further back.

None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, on with the hike!

Doctari
05-31-2005, 08:13
Thanks for the replys!

I am hoping that the 10 years is a "worst case scenario" (actually the goal is March 15th of 2015) I am wishing for less than 6 years :)
At the rate I'm going with OT at work, I may well be ready no later than 2010, altho I'll likely need 3 months to recover from working 70+ hrs a week :datz (my average since May of 04), but this is what allowed my revilation.
I think, just my opinion, a dream that has steadily grown for 40 years is unlikely to fade in a mere 10 years :jump

Dreams can come true, you just have to dream them long enough :dance

Doctari.

Frosty
05-31-2005, 08:35
I think, just my opinion, a dream that has steadily grown for 40 years is unlikely to fade in a mere 10 years .I agree, but your body might fade a bit. I've been planning on a thruhike since 1972. Retired now, no reason not to, but had some physical problems on the trail this spring which knocked me off. Part of it was stupidity on my part - too long days too quickly- but part was not adequately preparing an older body with a couple of known issues. The good part is that being retired, I'm already planning a more informed assault okn the trail next year. Start earlier, shorter days, more zeroes. I ain't the man I used to be (if indeed I ever was).

TOW
05-31-2005, 11:03
Doctari, what has gotten you so deep in debt? Yourself. What can you do to get out of most of your debt? Sell, sell, sell. Perhaps it is not this easy you think. But the trail is calling, calling, calling...........

Are you married, have children? Take the family and get out there and do the whole thing. Perhaps you just can not do that as simply as I put it? The point I want to get across to you here is that once you do go out there and do the trail you are going to realize in a very short time that all the hoopla that we get ourselves into don't matter to a hill of beans and we can get by better on peace of mind by not getting in any deeper...............

That trail is waiting to restore you to good wholesome thinking. Do not wait any longer than you absolutely have to.

I hope I have not offended........

wanderer

Doctari
05-31-2005, 13:35
Doctari, what has gotten you so deep in debt? Yourself. What can you do to get out of most of your debt? Sell, sell, sell. Perhaps it is not this easy you think. But the trail is calling, calling, calling...........

Are you married, have children? Take the family and get out there and do the whole thing. Perhaps you just can not do that as simply as I put it? The point I want to get across to you here is that once you do go out there and do the trail you are going to realize in a very short time that all the hoopla that we get ourselves into don't matter to a hill of beans and we can get by better on peace of mind by not getting in any deeper...............

That trail is waiting to restore you to good wholesome thinking. Do not wait any longer than you absolutely have to.

I hope I have not offended........

wanderer

Yep, it was me, all me, and my misuse of those d*** credit cards. And what makes it worse, we have little to show for it, so "sell, sell, sell" aint really an option, sigh.

1 wife, 2 "kids" (24 & 19) Yes, kids should be gone by now, but getting mom to agree to that is, well, not gonna happen. I don't actually support the kids, they feed & clothe themselves (since turning 18) I support the pets tho: 5 cats, 8 rats, 2 fish, 1 turtle & they eat better than me. Elizabeth (a rat) is sitting on the desk watching me type. Almost nap time for her, she is a Senior citizen after all. Can't take the wife on trail, bad back so even a camp rest mattress isn't enough, no a hammock dosn't help AND she is absolutly terrified of hights, even as low as a hammock hangs, no she couldnt stand some of the views. Wish I could do it as simple as you suggest, it is indeed a good suggestion.

Hoopla sucks. I'm just happy that I can now actually plan on a Thru hike.

No offense taken, I could have been on the trail years ago except for the words: "Oh, lets get it, well use the credit cards & pay for it later" and at over 27% interest, boy am I paying for it.

Doctari.

ga>me>ak
05-31-2005, 18:19
As others have said, time/ money, there are no guarantee's....
We are here only once, and, life is not a dress rehearsal

As some of you know, my dad was diagnosed Jan.25, and passed on April 9. While friends and family had fun,lived life, and spent money....mom/dad put some up for the future,paid off house,etc(things you were SUPPOSED to do).They would do all that stuff in retirement. Now those friends have nothing, big time in debt, and kinda freakin out... Mom and dad? He never got to enjoy it and mom could give a rats *ss about the money.
Sure miss pop,but, it's helped me to prioritize what's important. If I can finally get my house sold before a hurricane wipes it out... I am so out of here for a few years. See ya on the trail in 06.
Ps
Anyone want to buy a house and need a god job?

TOW
05-31-2005, 23:48
Anyone want to buy a house and need a god job?only if you pay for the house will i take the job..........................wanderer