PDA

View Full Version : Socks!

Double Wide
01-05-2013, 14:39
So, in a Thunderdome-style cage match fight to-the-death between Darn Tough and Wigwam Merino hiking socks, who wins?

I have two pairs of both, and like both quite a bit, but have never done any hiking over about 3 miles with either pair. Any idea which pair lasts longer getting abused day in and day out? (I plan on taking two pair for hiking, and another pair of thick wool hunting-style socks for in-camp)

johnnybgood
01-05-2013, 14:42
Darn Tough wins feet down.

DeerPath
01-05-2013, 14:49
darn tough wins feet down.

ditto...................

Zippy Morocco
01-05-2013, 14:59
Agreed. No comparison. I do use wigwam sometimes for work because I have a couple thick pair. If it's not 0 degrees out I wear the thinner Darn tough.

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 15:04
Wigwam will wear through the toe... and Darn Tough will replace if worn out.

Also forget the camp ones.. two pairs works fine... one for hiking and one in case you melt your hiking pair while trying to dry them (or i guess any other reason... oops).

Two pairs is plenty - here is why... you wear one pair - it gets wet - that means your shoes are wet... so why put on a spare pair that will be wet again right after. Just rinse the ones your wearing out and put them back on, they dry quick. The handy time they some in is if your shoes dry over night... then put on the the spare and hang the other ones off your pack to dry during your hike. Constant rotation. At camp... you want to wear camp sandals and let your feet air out. if needed you throw on that spare pair. And if its cold.. does not matter... once you get in camp you make dinner quickly and then set up your camp which means you could be chilling inside your bag - warm.

Miner
01-05-2013, 15:11
Why wear 3 pairs. Because wet feet are more prone to getting blisters then dry ones. Swap out between 2 pairs in an attempt to keep your feet dry throughout the day while letting the 2nd pair dry on your backpack. Don't wear your socks or shoe liners across a water ford when fording in your shoes; your shoes will dry quicker. When its raining don't bother swapping socks. The 3rd pair is for sleeping in. Nothing nicer then having dry socks to wear to bed.

I like thin socks as your feet don't sweet as much, your feet stay drier, and the socks dry faster.

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 15:15
miner - although true of more prone when wet - that is easily controlled with proper shoe fit. Also fording rivers with bare feet is VERY dangerous on the trail. You risk your toes and exposed feet, I would much rather wet feet for a few hours until they dry. Many people sleep in socks but it does not let the feet air out as well. Through my thru hike last year I only got two blisters (one big one on my heal, and a tiny one on middle toe). Otherwise I never had any problems and those only lasted a week at most.

BirdBrain
01-05-2013, 15:53
Darn Tough wins feet down.

Can't say it better than that. Many things in my pack are preference and debatable. 3 things are not even close: 1) Darn Tough socks. 2) Packa 3) Rite in the Rain journal.

Miner
01-05-2013, 18:35
miner - although true of more prone when wet - that is easily controlled with proper shoe fit. Also fording rivers with bare feet is VERY dangerous on the trail. You risk your toes and exposed feet, I would much rather wet feet for a few hours until they dry. Many people sleep in socks but it does not let the feet air out as well. Through my thru hike last year I only got two blisters (one big one on my heal, and a tiny one on middle toe). Otherwise I never had any problems and those only lasted a week at most. I think you misunderstood me. I said remove your shoes insoles and take your socks off when crossing a ford while wearing your shoes (ie. not in your bare feet which I agree is often not a good idea) because your shoes will dry faster if the insoles and socks are already dry when you put them back in the now wet shoe on the other side of the ford. Also, I did't even get 1 blisters doing what I recommended about swapping socks.

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 18:58
Ah yes, that is a good point - i did not bother ... haha when i went through maine it was under water anyways... spent the entire time with very wet feet.

perrito
01-05-2013, 21:21
Darn Tough Vermont, best made socks ever.

leaftye
01-05-2013, 21:46
Because wet feet are more prone to getting blisters then dry ones.

That makes sense, and I'm very inclined to believe, and I might even say the same thing, but I haven't personally found that to be the case.

leaftye
01-05-2013, 21:46
Oh, and my recommendation is for the DarnTough socks for the warranty if you can and will take advantage of the warranty.

Miami Joe
01-06-2013, 02:18
Anyone ever tried Fits? I just got a pair. Merino wool. They seem pretty good but I haven't field tested them yet.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 11:45
Anyone ever tried Fits? I just got a pair. Merino wool. They seem pretty good but I haven't field tested them yet.

I have two pair, the stretch is a little too tight for me, they squeeze my toes together too much.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 11:50
I have some Darn Tough socks and I have no doubt about the durability but they are woven too tight for me, no cushion in the sole. The most comfortable sock I've used to date are Smartwool, and it's a certain style, don't know what they're called but they are different from other Smartwool socks I've tried, they have a lot of cushion, but not bulky, and they have stretch to keep them from bunching up under foot...hate that.

pyroman9
01-06-2013, 15:29
I believe you are speaking of the PhD socks drybones - they are amazing. I hiked the trail in smartwool's, I loved them. I wish I could use them now in the military but they do not appear to make any just green ones... stinks... so i am going darn tuff now.

jeffmeh
01-06-2013, 16:24
I have some Darn Tough socks and I have no doubt about the durability but they are woven too tight for me, no cushion in the sole. The most comfortable sock I've used to date are Smartwool, and it's a certain style, don't know what they're called but they are different from other Smartwool socks I've tried, they have a lot of cushion, but not bulky, and they have stretch to keep them from bunching up under foot...hate that.

Do you have the full-cushion socks from Darn Tough, or a different model with less cushion?

Drybones
01-06-2013, 18:57
I believe you are speaking of the PhD socks drybones - they are amazing. I hiked the trail in smartwool's, I loved them. I wish I could use them now in the military but they do not appear to make any just green ones... stinks... so i am going darn tuff now.

You jogged my memory (and that's hard to do)...I believe they are PhD socks...I wear them every day at the gym but believe I'll stash a pair just for hiking.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 18:59
Do you have the full-cushion socks from Darn Tough, or a different model with less cushion?

I dont know what model they are...they are hiking socks I got at an outfitters, very tight weave.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 19:03

Hey thanks Pyroman9...I was worried I'd never find out how to get more when these are gone...thanks for the memory jog.

pyroman9
01-06-2013, 23:48
think i am right, they now offer the same warrenty as darn tough... the new ones from smartwool

Omaha_Ace
01-08-2013, 17:27
I got two pairs of Under Armour hiking socks last year and have been very happy with them. Tough, warm, dry super quick.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-full-cushion-boot-socks/pid1223262-351

peakbagger
01-08-2013, 18:34
Darn Tough has several styles including some with heavy cushioning. I went to their factory sale in November and bought quite a few pairs (price was right at no more than $8 per pair). I used to use Smart Wools but the Darn Toughs are better. They had some military spec socks at $3 per pair that cant be beat. The president of the company was at the sale and he told anyone he talked to that even if the dog chewed a hole in the sock he would gladly replace it for free. He is real proud that his socks are 100% american made by americans (not a lot of illegal iimmigrants in northfield VT)

keepinitsimple
01-08-2013, 20:48
Have to give a shout out to Thorlo trekkers, have had a pair for 10 years at least. Don't stink, still have padding, still get the job done. They are one of the most dependable socks I have ever seen.

Odd Man Out
01-08-2013, 20:53
Just got my second pair of Darn Tough socks. It seems I eventually will have to take off the first pair to wash them.

Turtle2
01-08-2013, 21:44
I like Darn Tough, but, I prefer my Bridgedale Trekkers. I have one pair of Bridgedales that made the entire AT thru and I am still using them today after 6 years. I bought a pair of Smartwools and within 150 miles they were toast. You won't go wrong with either Darn Toughs or Bridgedales.

StylinLP38
01-09-2013, 11:54
Hey, question. What about the advice on wearing sock liners under the Smartwool PHD or Darn Tough socks? I heard people say that helps stop getting blisters.

Im a total Smartwool and iBex fan but this thread leads me to beleive those socks will not last more than 500 miles.

Hot Sauce 2011
01-09-2013, 22:09
Stylin,

Skip the sock liners. Most of the socks discussed in this thread do whatever it is sock liners do...my liners made it as far as Neel's Gap, when one of the staff there, Lumpy, explained that to me; sorry if I'm short on details, but please know that I've had two pairs of Darn Tough socks last me 2200+ miles and I still have them, and I never once had a problem with blisters on the Trail. Never. Once.

robertblake60
01-09-2013, 23:15
What about using those injini toe socks? would that help with blisters (do you get blisters in between toes??).

Also, what level of cushioning would you guys suggest??

Drakken
01-09-2013, 23:46
I have never worn a pair of Darn Tough socks, but I have Wigwam and Smartwool. Both very nice. I called Wigwam to tell them how much I liked their socks and they sent me two free pair and some stickers in the mail. What a cool company.

MyName1sMud
01-10-2013, 16:28
Just ordered a pair of Darn Tough socks off of Amazon due to this thread.

We will see what they are like!

hauptman
02-02-2013, 13:10
The absolute thinnest socks you can find for hiking. Padding is a fancy way of saying water retention. Tow socks are always better and duct tape strips placed over achilles tendon on outside of sock mean no hot spot. Sleep socks can be anything light and fluffy. I like 200 weight fleece, ankle high.

SunnyWalker
02-27-2013, 23:28
Merino Wool-any brand. I like the anklets myself.

Son Driven
02-28-2013, 00:27
I bought the lightest NIKI running shoes I could find. I plan on carrying a second pair, that way I can tie a wet pair to my pack for drying while wearing the dryer pair. Have other thru hikers done this?