PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tendonitis on the AT

Brian3211
01-05-2013, 16:35
I plan on attempting a thru hike this year but am afraid I may get achillies tendonitis, I have gotten it before from hiking but I think it was the type of shoes I was wearing. Is there any good shoes to prevent achilles tendonitis or has anybody completed a thru hike with it?

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 17:04
Brian, I got it in the start of my hike. It was ruff. Make sure you get shoes that fit YOU well, nobody can answer that but you. Soles are the next key, they will make or break a hike often.

Otherwise take your time and be smart - lighter the pack the better. Pack and Speed are the two variables... lighter pack less stress... slower speed less stress... find the proper balance. Over time things with strengthen and get better. Took me about a month to get rid of the pains. Lots of motrin until then.

BigRing
01-09-2013, 20:42
Stretch,.....stretch,,,,,stretch, and stretch........oh...and get gpod boots and insoles.

Kerosene
01-09-2013, 21:33
You can also exercise to strengthen the ankles. Toe-ups and standing one-leg balancing (try eyes closed) help. Also, walk on a rug on your heels with toes scrunched.

prain4u
01-11-2013, 02:59
I have a history of Achilles tendon "issues". Here are some things that have worked for me (in addition to the fine ansers that others have already given).

1) Start SLOW....
A) Start the thru hike slow. Low mileage and short hours day for the first 2-4 weeks (the longer the better). Let your fee, ankles and calves adjust to the trail.
B) SLOWLY increase your daily mileage.
C) Start each day SLOWLY. Stretch/warm up in camp before starting your hiking day. Hike slow and steady for the first 30-60 minutes of each day to warm up your tendons/muscles/ligaments.
D) After any significant break hike SLOW for the first few minutes. (Maybe do some light stretching before resuming your hike.

2) Anti-inflammatory medications. I hike (sometimes) with a buddy who is a Physician Assistant (his wife is a physician). We both are in our 50s and we take low-moderate doses of Ibuprofen each day that we are out on the trail (we call it "Vitamin I"). Be careful. That most anti-inflammatory meds can affect your liver and stomach of you take too big of doses--especially over long periods.

3) Rest. Sleep is very important to our bodies "rebuilding" and recuperating. Also, taking regular "zero" and "nearo" days is an important way for the body to recover.

4) "Ice". I do a great deal of hiking along Lake Superior and near some cold north country rivers/creeks. I have been known to soak my feet/ankles in those cold bodies of water to ease inflammation. I have also been known to take a ziplock bag to a restaurant or convenience store where I am already making a purchase (and with permission) get some ice. (I usually offer to pay for the ice--and they usually give me the ice for free). I then ice my feet and ankles.

5) I will echo what another writer said: Stretch. Stretch, Stretch. I stretch my feet/ankles/calves: In the morning before hiking. After long hiking breaks. I stretch a couple of times at the campsite in the evening. (I often do for a short walk after supper to help keep my muscles/tendons/ligaments from tightening up too much.) I have been known to stretch in my hammock or tent once I go to bed at night or before I get up in the morning.

6) Foot and ankle exercises are good--both before--and DURING your hiking trip.

fredmugs
01-11-2013, 08:17
I have found that hiking at about 75 - 80% of whatever speed I think I'm capable of doing has eliminated a lot of foot problems for me.

Can't over emphasize stretching. It's funny because I never see anyone else do it on the trail. I still do the same stretching I did before track meets in high school.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2013, 12:12
Many years ago I caught a stick between my feet and it wacked the Achilles on my left foot, really hard. Ever since then I have trouble on and off with that tendon. On one trip, I pulled it bad the first day in the Smokies. Good thing I had a lot of food, because it took me 5 days to get to New Found gap, limping shelter to shelter. Ended my trip right there. And yes, I had started at Springer so it wasn't like I had just started, but I was just starting to get back into serious hiking after not having done any in a while - a long while.

What has helped me from having this reoccur is simply better pre-hike conditioning by doing a lot of easy walking every day for 2 weeks before the trip, a minimum of a couple miles a day. I also go down hill slower and more carefully then I used to, as it seems down hill puts more stress on the Achilles then up hill.

The streaching and strength exercises are good things to do too.

Camel2012
01-11-2013, 12:41
This was one of the contributing factors that kept me from finishing in 2012.

I got off the trail in Maryland, so put in a few miles before I went home, and had to take over a week of zeros in Va to let it rest.

Like the others said, i believe one of the main reasons would be my lack of stretching, and focusing on miles and not what my body was telling me.

Like i said, it was one of the reasons, and honestly, I seriously doubt it would have sent me home all by itself, but the cumulative effect of multiple injuries can kick your butt.

Also, it was always worst the first hour or so until i got warmed up and it loosened up. Stretching will help this a lot.

Chuckie V
01-11-2013, 13:39
I have a history of Achilles tendon "issues". Here are some things that have worked for me (in addition to the fine ansers that others have already given).

1) Start SLOW....
A) Start the thru hike slow. Low mileage and short hours day for the first 2-4 weeks (the longer the better). Let your fee, ankles and calves adjust to the trail.
B) SLOWLY increase your daily mileage.
C) Start each day SLOWLY. Stretch/warm up in camp before starting your hiking day. Hike slow and steady for the first 30-60 minutes of each day to warm up your tendons/muscles/ligaments.
D) After any significant break hike SLOW for the first few minutes. (Maybe do some light stretching before resuming your hike.

2) Anti-inflammatory medications. I hike (sometimes) with a buddy who is a Physician Assistant (his wife is a physician). We both are in our 50s and we take low-moderate doses of Ibuprofen each day that we are out on the trail (we call it "Vitamin I"). Be careful. That most anti-inflammatory meds can affect your liver and stomach of you take too big of doses--especially over long periods.

3) Rest. Sleep is very important to our bodies "rebuilding" and recuperating. Also, taking regular "zero" and "nearo" days is an important way for the body to recover.

4) "Ice". I do a great deal of hiking along Lake Superior and near some cold north country rivers/creeks. I have been known to soak my feet/ankles in those cold bodies of water to ease inflammation. I have also been known to take a ziplock bag to a restaurant or convenience store where I am already making a purchase (and with permission) get some ice. (I usually offer to pay for the ice--and they usually give me the ice for free). I then ice my feet and ankles.

5) I will echo what another writer said: Stretch. Stretch, Stretch. I stretch my feet/ankles/calves: In the morning before hiking. After long hiking breaks. I stretch a couple of times at the campsite in the evening. (I often do for a short walk after supper to help keep my muscles/tendons/ligaments from tightening up too much.) I have been known to stretch in my hammock or tent once I go to bed at night or before I get up in the morning.

6) Foot and ankle exercises are good--both before--and DURING your hiking trip.

All brilliant advice but for the stretching. NEVER stretch an injury; it will only prolong the injury (think of cracked lips as an example...would you stretch your mouth open in hopes your lips will heal more quickly?) That said, do stretch before injured, but only AFTER you're good and warmed up via increased blood-flow. Tendinitis is a vague term for "swelling" in a given tendon, and no two Achilles tendon injuries are alike.

I would also add massage, be it self-administered or from a partner or friend. Massage loosens muscles, which loosens the strain places on adjoining tendons. Stretching doesn't do that until after the fact.

bfayer
01-11-2013, 15:29
One thing to know about also is some antibiotics make you susceptible to Achilles tendon damage. So be carful if you have to take any while hiking.

Cipro is notorious for this, it is commonly used to treat gastrointestinal infections such as E-coli, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2