PDA

View Full Version : Where to start...

camapuri
01-05-2013, 16:37
Hello everyone! My father and I are thinking about starting to do the AT in sections. We backpacked together a lot in bygone years, but it has been awhile so we are looking for a less strenuous section this year to get back into it. We can go in either June or August, 4-7 days. What are your recommendations?
Thank you!

Lone Wolf
01-05-2013, 16:46
Shenandoah National Park

HikerMom58
01-05-2013, 19:02
I agree with Lone Wolf... that's a great place to start.

pyroman9
01-05-2013, 19:07
roan mtn - grayson highlands - bald mtn - big hump - little hump.... all nice areas and open and pretty.

Blissful
01-05-2013, 23:25
Maryland is also a good choice.

bigcranky
01-06-2013, 09:50
June is much better than August unless you're in Maine.

If you're going to section hike the whole thing, start at the beginning -- Springer. A 7 day hike will get you most of Georgia, probably ending at Dock's Creek Gap depending on how quickly you hike.

Shenandoah is also very nice for a first long hike.

Papa D
01-06-2013, 10:28
If your intention is to do the whole trail, I would suggest traveling mostly in one direction so that when you get close to finishing (in 3,5,10 years, whatever) that you don't have to travel to say, Georgia to do the 11 miles you missed two years before (avoid jumping around). If travel expense isn't a big deal, just start at Amicalola SP or at the more or less half-way point, Harper's Ferry, WVA at the ATC HQ - hike south toward Shenandoah (good section like others have mentioned) then come back to H.F and go north.

rustmd
01-06-2013, 10:38
i started my AT section hiking in MD, cuz i live closeby, 40 miles, do-able, nice shelters & then you have a whole state done! shenandoah np is a great choice too. there are AT shelters as well as a couple of campgrounds. lots of choices for 4-7 days in the SNP.

.com

yellowsirocco
01-06-2013, 10:40
June: Virginia

August: Vermont

G-FOURce
01-06-2013, 10:47
i, personally, am not a fan of backpacking or camping in hot weather. if it were me, i'd look for the spots that are likeliest to have the coolest temps during the times you're available to hike and go from there. and while it may be logistically easier to continue along a line from a chosen starting point, but not if you're uncomfortable and dont enjoy yourself. good luck on the hike and check back in to let us know what you've chosen and eventually how it went.

Papa D
01-06-2013, 10:49
June: Virginia

August: Vermont

August in Vermont sure is beautiful but the OP asked for an easy section and while the AT in VT is not known for being super-hard, it's certainly much harder than most sections in VA

yellowsirocco
01-06-2013, 11:06
August in Vermont sure is beautiful but the OP asked for an easy section and while the AT in VT is not known for being super-hard, it's certainly much harder than most sections in VA
Once you factor in the August heat in VA, then VT starts looking a lot easier. VT isn't too hard really, there are some ups and downs, but the firetowers, ponds, streams, and swimming holes really help with morale where in Shenandoah the only thing to keep you going is the waysides.

Maddoxsjohnston
01-06-2013, 11:24
If you're looking for easier, do Shenandoah. But if you're looking for the most beautiful section, you can't beat the 30 miles from carvers gap to us19e imo. In that section you'll pass Jane Bald, Hump Mtn., Grassy ridge, and Roan Mtn., and if you go in July there might still be some of the rhododendron left. It is fairly strenuous though it's not a problem if you take it slow.