PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a pack!!!!!

dieliving22
01-05-2013, 16:45
Hey everybody! I'm attempting an AT thru hike this march. I'm torn between the osprey aether, exos, and the hornet. The aether rides like a cadillac, but the exos and the hornet are lightweight. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

RodentWhisperer
01-05-2013, 17:05
I'd say it all comes down to what gear you'd be carrying. Volume is the key (assuming that all three fit you to the same degree).

Del Q
01-05-2013, 18:30
I just bought and Exos 58 and LOVE IT. Light, solid, plenty of nice extra features. Lot of Osprey's on the AT. I was using a ULA, back and hip pain issues, hoping that a pack with a real frame will help.

dieliving22
01-05-2013, 21:28
I just bought and Exos 58 and LOVE IT. Light, solid, plenty of nice extra features. Lot of Osprey's on the AT. I was using a ULA, back and hip pain issues, hoping that a pack with a real frame will help.

Can you strap gear to the outside of the exos easily?

Del Q
01-05-2013, 21:44
Not sure what kind of gear you mean.............setup for an ice axe, cool setup for holding your hiking poles when walking on flat ground, tried it last Sunday, worked well. Plenty of straps and loops to hang stuff on or tie it down. Fancy pack, lot of features..............no telling until I am for 2 weeks with it in March

zorobabel
01-06-2013, 04:05
I was using a ULA, back and hip pain issues, hoping that a pack with a real frame will help. What ULA pack were you using?

yellowsirocco
01-06-2013, 05:55
Can you strap gear to the outside of the exos easily?

Strap on gear is a bad idea. If you are having to do this then get a bigger pack.

swjohnsey
01-06-2013, 08:30
What he said.

bigcranky
01-06-2013, 09:45
Those are three really different packs. Which one will work depends on what specific gear you are trying to carry. If you have lightweight gear -- a single wall tarptent, a down sleeping bag, an alcohol stove, limited clothing - the Exos will work. If you have more traditional gear, like a double wall 2-person tent, a synthetic bag, lots of fleece, a big cook kit, etc., then the Aether will be great.

If you have to ask this question on a forum, then the Hornet won't work. No offense. It's made for serious ultralight hikers, and you get that way through a lot of trial and error and experience, until you know what pack you need. :)

Wags
01-06-2013, 12:48
i have seen a lot of exos 58's on thrus on the AT in the past few years. i used one for 2 or 3 years and really liked it. i started out w/ an aether, but soon realized it was just way too heavy...

dornstar
01-06-2013, 15:14
I really hated my Exos 58. Frame was nice and my back stayed cool, but the shoulder straps were too narrow for me and they don't have much padding. The hip belt is worthless too. It is really easy to overpack it and it doesn't carry well when you hit the 30 pound range.