PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Bald Parking

wbgraham50
01-06-2013, 08:49
Hey I am new to Whiteblaze, I am plannig on a three day hike in February. I was wondering if there is overnight parking at Wayah Bald and can a two wheel drive car make it up there.... Thanks!

generoll
01-06-2013, 09:35
I believe the Forest Service road leading to Wayah Bald is currently locked and will remain so until at least mid-March. There is really no decent parking at Wayah Gap. The road is fine for any vehicle, but best to check with the Nantahala Ranger District to see what the status is on the gates.

joshuasdad
01-06-2013, 11:33
You could park at Aquone hostel (near Burningtown Gap), and get shuttles from the owner, who I imagine would shuttle anywhere from Rock Gap to NOC.

daddytwosticks
01-06-2013, 11:49
Wayah Bald does have parking...and a new pit toilet, trash cans, and picnic areas in addition to the stone fire tower. I've gotten there no problem with a low-slung 2wd vehicle. I'm guessing generoll is dead-on about being locked. I've never tried to go up there in the winter. Wayah Gap, though, is right on a state maintained paved road that goes from Nantahala Lake down into the "suburbs" of Franklin. There is a small parking spot at Wayah Gap that is off the paved road and will hold maybe 8 or 10 vehicles. There are also trash cans and picnic tables here. However, I cannot recall if the short driveway to Wayah Gap parking was gated or not. You cannot just pull off the paved highway at Wayah Gap and park. No room. Sorry I couldn't add more specifics. Maybe Ron Havens can add some better info. :)

Waterbuffalo
01-06-2013, 22:41
I called last week it is locked until atleast March 15th you can park at wayah gap at the bottom on NC 1310 though