PDA

View Full Version : Four state challenge?

liberty lover
01-06-2013, 11:11
I have recently heard about the,"Four State Challenge",and was wondering if someone could answer some general questions?Is there a fixed date for this challenge?What are the start/stop areas?What is the total mileage?Does anyone have any experience that would be helpful for this challenge?I know what the four states are,but that is about it.If there is a link to former post that would be nice also.Thank you for your time.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2013, 11:15
There's no fixed date, it's not an official event, just a quasi tradition in the thru-hiking world; there is also a few other "traditions" similar to this on the AT.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2013, 11:18
Here's a little info on it http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1903734

joshuasdad
01-06-2013, 11:23
Start at PA-MA border, hike until you get to VA (or a portion of the AT which borders VA), or vice versa, any day you wish. This is not a formal or organized challenge. Your prize is usually blisters and one (or more) zero days for hiking about 44 miles in a 24 hour period.

Google "four state challenge" and you will find plenty of descriptions.

RETCW4
01-06-2013, 11:30
Start at PA-MA border, hike until you get to VA (or a portion of the AT which borders VA), or vice versa, any day you wish. This is not a formal or organized challenge. Your prize is usually blisters and one (or more) zero days for hiking about 44 miles in a 24 hour period.

Google "four state challenge" and you will find plenty of descriptions.

Should be the PA-MD border. MA woulput you in Massachusetts.

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 11:30
Right... the 4 State Challenge is hiking in VA,WV,MD and PA or the other way around. 42.9 miles in 24 hours or less. Another "tradition" like John mentioned is eating a "half gallon" of ice cream, in one sitting, at Pine Grove Furnace, PA the "half way" point on the trail. Many of them try and cannot do it or they do it & immediatly get.... "sick". LOL. Some of them do it- it doesn't seem to phase them. It's silly kind of fun, if u see it that way. :)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 11:59
it's not a tough challenge. pretty easy to do actually

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 12:18
it's not a tough challenge. pretty easy to do actually

How many times have u done it?

It would be tough for me.... just sayin. So that makes me a weenie? I'm out there moving & doing my best tho. I might be up for trying it, one day. :)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 12:33

It would be tough for me.... just sayin. So that makes me a weenie? I'm out there moving & doing my best tho. I might be up for trying it, one day. :)
i walked 40 miles into damascus in under 12 hours. 43 miles in 24 hours ain't nothin'

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 12:33

i walked 40 miles into damascus in under 12 hours. 43 miles in 24 hours ain't nothin'

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 13:15

That's very impressive!! :) But, do u consider that the norm? If not, then "The Challenge" might be a challenge to the mere common folks. ;) like myself.... #somethingtoconsidermaybe luv ya.. Do you still have that beard?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 13:17
for a thru-hiker it's no big deal

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 13:26
for a thru-hiker it's no big deal

Ahh... I see. I still don't agree with ya cause all thru-hikers aren't created equal. Nada, Nada...

You didn't tell me if you still have that beard... I'm thinking NOT! ;)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 13:33
uh, i still have a beard. w t f does that have to do with anything?

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 13:40
uh, i still have a beard. w t f does that have to do with anything?

Nothing- except you posted a pic of ur friend & yourself with a serious beard going on... JW..... You have to practice being nice to me so when I meet u at Trail Days in May- I can give u a big hug! ;)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2013, 13:41
hopefully i won't be here during trail days

WingedMonkey
01-06-2013, 14:33
There are no records on the Appalachian Trail.

Don H
01-06-2013, 14:50
No "official" records.

Another "Challenge" is the Connecticut Challenge, hike through the entire state in less than 24 hours.

pyroman9
01-06-2013, 15:22
The suitcase challenge is also interesting - although i would not try it...

many variations but it basically is
Go to a thrift store and buy a suit and briefcase
get a 24 pack of beer
hike 24 miles with the beer in the briefcase and drink it all by the time you finish the 24 miles... in one day of course.

The 4 state is a fun challenge although it takes some coordination because if you just do it when you get there - you will often miss out on harpers ferry. I did not bother to do it, but i know a few who did. Its just all part of the fun. I like to see how far i could push myself and what my limits were.

Bomber

Odd Man Out
01-06-2013, 16:17
Since the four state challenge has been described as "no big deal" and "pretty easy", I thought I would check out some other possible challenges. I used the mileage data at www.atdist.com and the interactive map at the ATC web site for my info.

Then next three longest four state challenges would be:
NY-CT-MA-VT at 135 mi (had to estimate exactly where you leave NY N of Bulls Bridge Rd
NJ-NY-CT-MA at 141.3 mi
PA-NJ-NY-CT at 161.9 mi

The longest is of course:
TN-VA-WV-MD at 555.8 mi

The shortest three state challenge would be of course:
VA-WV-MD at a couple miles?

The shortest five state challenge would be:
NJ-NY-CT-MA-VT at 231.7

Of course doing these in a day would be more of a big deal.
Pick your own time frame and make your own challenge.
How about 5 states in a week, or all of CT and MA in three days?

HikerMom58
01-06-2013, 16:24
hopefully i won't be here during trail days

Touche'.................

Since the four state challenge has been described as "no big deal" and "pretty easy", I thought I would check out some other possible challenges. I used the mileage data at www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com) and the interactive map at the ATC web site for my info.

Then next three longest four state challenges would be:
NY-CT-MA-VT at 135 mi (had to estimate exactly where you leave NY N of Bulls Bridge Rd
NJ-NY-CT-MA at 141.3 mi
PA-NJ-NY-CT at 161.9 mi

The longest is of course:
TN-VA-WV-MD at 555.8 mi

The shortest three state challenge would be of course:
VA-WV-MD at a couple miles?

The shortest five state challenge would be:
NJ-NY-CT-MA-VT at 231.7

Of course doing these in a day would be more of a big deal.
Pick your own time frame and make your own challenge.
How about 5 states in a week, or all of CT and MA in three days?

Very interesting................:)

toonnee
01-06-2013, 18:19
I did PA/MD line to Harpers Ferry this past fall. Roughly 41 miles in just under 14 hours. I just had a day pack. It was fun just for the fun of doing it. If going out just for the day it is easily doable if you are in reasonable condition.

woodbooger
02-05-2013, 15:32
I did the Md. Challenge, just the 41 miles of Maryland, last summer. It was a hot, long day. Mentally taxing but not so much physically. It's all about hydration and nutrition. It was awesome and something I'm pretty proud of. Work out the logistics with cars/shuttles, start at midnight so you can hike while its cool, keep your pack weight extremely low. Carry plenty of water and snacks and nothing else.

Malto
02-05-2013, 17:54
I would never recommend this for someone as part of a thru hike unless they are doing consistent high mile days. Even then you would have to cut short time spent in Harpers Ferry which would be a shame. As far as doing it as just a stand alone trip..... I guess for some sort of bragging rights though it is one of the easier 44 mile stretches of trail on the AT. I have to agree with Lone Wolf on this one.... It's a long day but not all tough.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2013, 00:58
Its really not a hard hike in terms of terrain, especially by the time folks attempting to thru get there. I think starting at about 3 am and taking good rest breaks get it done in 20 hours without it kicking your a**.

BuckeyeBill
02-06-2013, 02:13
Two other traditions are Mooning the Cog Train and walking neked on national Hike neked day.

Pingus
02-06-2013, 08:57
Mooning the Cog is no longer a 'tradition' as it were, in fact it is quite frowned upon to the point of people being arrested.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2013, 11:06
Two other traditions are Mooning the Cog Train and walking neked on national Hike neked day.

indecent exposure is so cool :rolleyes:

takethisbread
02-06-2013, 11:17
Duncannon 24 is 24 beers in 24 mile hike from Boiling Springs to Duncannon at the Doyle. It's a bit more than 24 miles to hike is easy, doing it while getting hammered is hard. Start early in the AM.

MDSection12
02-06-2013, 11:21
I would never recommend this for someone as part of a thru hike unless they are doing consistent high mile days. Even then you would have to cut short time spent in Harpers Ferry which would be a shame. As far as doing it as just a stand alone trip..... I guess for some sort of bragging rights though it is one of the easier 44 mile stretches of trail on the AT. I have to agree with Lone Wolf on this one.... It's a long day but not all tough.

+1

I haven't seen other trail towns, but I'd still be willing to bet Harper's Ferry is one of the cooler ones. I love ending hikes at a bar with a burger (on a pretzel bun) and a beer there. :D

colorado_rob
02-06-2013, 11:59
I would never recommend this for someone as part of a thru hike unless they are doing consistent high mile days. Even then you would have to cut short time spent in Harpers Ferry which would be a shame. As far as doing it as just a stand alone trip..... I guess for some sort of bragging rights though it is one of the easier 44 mile stretches of trail on the AT. I have to agree with Lone Wolf on this one.... It's a long day but not all tough. Maybe i'm missing a point, but according to my mileage chart, Harpers Ferry is only about 2 miles into this 4-state-challenge thing. I plan on hiking right into Harpers (NOBO), enjoying the town for a day, heading back to the 4-state-challenge starting point and doing that little stroll, just because it looks like a cool thing to do. Bottom line: one can do both, easily. right? Or is there some logistic point I'm missing?

joshuasdad
02-06-2013, 13:39
Duncannon 24 is 24 beers in 24 mile hike from Boiling Springs to Duncannon at the Doyle. It's a bit more than 24 miles to hike is easy, doing it while getting hammered is hard. Start early in the AM.

That steep downhill into Duncannon could be pretty interesting after 24...I assume that some use the beer golf strategy and chug quite a few AFTER the downhill and on the final fairway.

Malto
02-06-2013, 13:58
Maybe i'm missing a point, but according to my mileage chart, Harpers Ferry is only about 2 miles into this 4-state-challenge thing. I plan on hiking right into Harpers (NOBO), enjoying the town for a day, heading back to the 4-state-challenge starting point and doing that little stroll, just because it looks like a cool thing to do. Bottom line: one can do both, easily. right? Or is there some logistic point I'm missing?

Sure, I guess you could climb that mountain again and then come back down. And if I remember correctly it is a bit longer than 2 miles to the main center of Harpers Ferry. There isn't enough cool factor in it for me to go do 2+ miles three times but if does for you then go for it.

Theosus
02-06-2013, 14:12
A friend of mine posted this one on our meetup group. It looks interesting, but a little long for me.

colorado_rob
02-06-2013, 17:07
... but if does for you then go for it. Cool! Thanks....

takethisbread
02-06-2013, 21:16
That might have been the strategy but I finished 23 before I got to the last climb. I descended into town, falling over the shale rock quite a few times. Had the last one at the bottom at about 8 pm. Pretty hammered and tired .

The Phoenix
02-11-2013, 00:37
In 2009 I hiked from the brink of Mass to the train station into NYC(Sobo, obviously), hiking all of Connecticut in 20 hours or so... I don't really recommend it, though it was a trip to spend a few days in New York after running through CT.

Jeff
02-11-2013, 09:06
Would love to know what percent hike the 4 state challenge, then NOT zero the next day.

colorado_rob
02-11-2013, 14:32
Would love to know what percent hike the 4 state challenge, then NOT zero the next day. Yep, that certainly won't be me (meaning I fully plan on a nice Zero!). This is cool stuff though, nice little bonuses to include. If the 4-state thing works, I'm going to try that 52 mile CT thing as well. I wonder if NJ, NY or MA is feasible? Those would be a real stretch for these old bones (though I did manage a 70 miler in 23.5 hours in CO). "Fun" stuff !

Giantsbane
02-11-2013, 14:53
. . . there is also a few other "traditions" similar to this on the AT.
What are some of the other traditions?

Carl Calson
02-11-2013, 21:47
The suitcase challenge is also interesting - although i would not try it...

many variations but it basically is
Go to a thrift store and buy a suit and briefcase
get a 24 pack of beer
hike 24 miles with the beer in the briefcase and drink it all by the time you finish the 24 miles... in one day of course.

The 4 state is a fun challenge although it takes some coordination because if you just do it when you get there - you will often miss out on harpers ferry. I did not bother to do it, but i know a few who did. Its just all part of the fun. I like to see how far i could push myself and what my limits were.

Bomber

didn't you hike like 62 miles straight last year? I remember meeting Metro North in Duncannon and he told us that he did 50 miles straight, but you had him beat. that's pure insanity!