PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on Sawyer squeeze

Chris10
01-06-2013, 14:43
Drvita.com has them for $40.67 and then use the discount code MOTHER10, for 10 percent off, plus free shipping. Not a bad deal if your looking at getting one ( and no, I don't work for them, just found this the other day and thought I'd pass it along).

Thanks

Omaha_Ace
01-06-2013, 14:58
In for one! Thanks for the post!

etboy
01-06-2013, 16:34
Thanks Chris. Have been looking for one of these on a deal for a while now.

jerseydave
01-06-2013, 17:13
Not sure if I should thank you for saving me a few bucks, or yell at you for encouraging me to spend $36.60.......
Oh well, thanks..... it's been a few days since the UPS guy has stopped by anyway.

Deacon
01-06-2013, 17:29
Drvita.com has them for $40.67 and then use the discount code MOTHER10, for 10 percent off, plus free shipping. Not a bad deal if your looking at getting one ( and no, I don't work for them, just found this the other day and thought I'd pass it along).

Thanks

The price seems almost too good to be true. I throw up a red flag on this, just be sure it's an authentic squeeze. I've been caught more than once buying a "good deal", when it turned out to be a Chinese imitation. The only real questionable part would be the 0.1 micron filter. If its not made by sawyer, then just how good is the filter?

If possible, call the Sawyer company and ask about distributors.

I sure hope I haven't raised a non issue!

Chris10
01-06-2013, 17:47
Hopefully it is what they say it is. I checked BBB before I ordered and they had a great rating (not that it means everything). The only issues seem to be the speed of delivery. I'll just make sure I give it a good look over before use.

G-FOURce
01-06-2013, 21:27
for the price i opted to test the waters. the item is NOT in stock and says it usually ships within 5-10 days. i'll give it two weeks and see what happens. i already have one, so if it takes 3 weeks then i'm still coming out ahead. should be interesting...

Chris10
01-06-2013, 22:00
I hope it wasn't one of those where they only had "one" in stock at that price? I ordered one, and it went through, just waiting for it to ship.......hopefully! :)

lukabrazi
01-07-2013, 10:00
Anyone find anything else thats a good deal on that site? I saw permethrin was a couple dollars cheaper. Is the 10% one item or the entire order?

lukabrazi
01-07-2013, 10:06
Also any idea how long that coupon code is good for?

etboy
01-07-2013, 13:15
"Anyone find anything else thats a good deal on that site? I saw permethrin was a couple dollars cheaper. Is the 10% one item or the entire order?"

Thats funny. I ordered the Permethrin also. And yes its 10% off the entire order.

lukabrazi
01-07-2013, 18:14
I just replaced mine and ordered one for a friend. I accidentally let my last one freeze and would rather be safe than sorry.

Bucho
01-11-2013, 23:45
I just replaced mine and ordered one for a friend. I accidentally let my last one freeze and would rather be safe than sorry. There's a test you could do to see whether or not it's broken: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/cleanstream_filter_test.pdf

leaftye
01-12-2013, 00:09
There's a test you could do to see whether or not it's broken: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/cleanstream_filter_test.pdf

That test is useful, but only confirms that the filter has gone bad, not that it's still good. Replacing that filter was the prudent thing to do.

Bucho
01-12-2013, 17:23
That test is useful, but only confirms that the filter has gone bad, not that it's still good. Replacing that filter was the prudent thing to do.
Ahhh..care to justify that as the test explicitly states that the fibers are ok if you can't blow air through?

leaftye
01-12-2013, 17:25
Ahhh..care to justify that as the test explicitly states that the fibers are ok if you can't blow air through?

Customer rep from one of the filter companies said that. I don't remember which company, but it was also a fiber filter.

Bucho
01-14-2013, 23:19
Customer rep from one of the filter companies said that. I don't remember which company, but it was also a fiber filter.
*sigh* I was hoping you had more of an explanation than that because what I've been saying is straight out of the Cascade Designs FAQ: http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/FAQ "What about freezing?Once you have used your CleanStream™ filter and wet the Hollow Fiber filter media, the fibers will remain wet for a very long time. Therefore, it is important to prevent it from freezing, which can permanently damage the filter media. If you are traveling in areas where you are expecting freezing or near freezing temperatures, bring the filter into your tent, or even your sleeping bag. The included, watertight hose barb covers will prevent any leakage wherever you store it. If you think your filter may have been damaged by freezing, perform a Filter Test (http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/cleanstream_filter_test.pdf) before the next use."

lukabrazi
01-16-2013, 11:53
Anyone get theres yet?

G-FOURce
01-16-2013, 12:30
Anyone get theres yet?

in keeping with the number of negative reviews about their shipping, this one doesn't look like its going to be a positive experience, either. here are my notes from my call today with them:

1/16: called at 11:26am EST and CustSvc rep said the item is not in stock but that it has been ordered. It has not arrived from the manufacturer and they have no indication right now for when it will arrive. She suggested it would likely be sometime next week.

i'll update again next week...

Chris10
01-16-2013, 21:45
I think it says it ships in 5 to 15 days or something to that effect. I think I'm on day number 9 or 10, so Im hoping it will get shipped soon. I don't mind waiting a few extra days if need be, but will be calling them if I don't here something within a week. I don't have plans to use it until the summer, so I'm not in a great rush anyway..will let you know whe I hear something.

max patch
01-16-2013, 21:54
A good deal on something that doesnt work very well isn't a good deal.

Chris10
01-16-2013, 21:54
It's a 5 to 10 day ship on these, or so their website says. It must be me, but I ordered some socks from another company and according to the tracking on them, they have been being processed by the USPS in Jacksonville, FL, for 7 days now. I guess they're taking turns trying them on or something......

Chris10
01-16-2013, 21:58
I think now a days so use to having everything instantly(information, packages, oatmeal), that we have become overly impatient when we don't get things right away. Maybe that's one of the challenges of the AT, patience.

Chris10
01-16-2013, 22:00
I think now a days We're so use to having everything instantly(information, packages, oatmeal), that we have become overly impatient when we don't get things right away. Maybe that's one of the challenges of the AT, patience.

LDog
01-19-2013, 13:07
Could it be that the lower price is to move the old versions in anticipation of the new versions with the new, improved, maybe won't burst so quickly water bags? See MLD's page here: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=195

leaftye
01-19-2013, 13:49
LDog, thanks for that. I sent Sawyer an email asking how we can tell the difference between the new and old bladders. I'm very interested in trying out the new bladders since we can't count on finding a vendor with Evernew bladders in stock.

LDog
01-19-2013, 16:51
Can't be sure, but weren't the old ones black? The one I just got is blue with a black stripe down the right side. I'll post a pic soon ...

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg

lukabrazi
01-20-2013, 08:58
I've never saw a blue one... Always black with a blue stripe. I did an image search and didn't see any that were blue. What are the bags like? Are they the same? Maybe it is the 2013 model.

LDog
01-20-2013, 13:51
I just got this one from MLD, from whom I first heard of a new, "super strong" 2013 version:

leaftye
01-20-2013, 14:02
Thanks LDog. It doesn't look like the bottom opens up to allow it to stand now. I suppose that's not a big deal, at least not to me because I don't recall ever standing up my bladder. It certainly won't stay upright with the filter on. The rounded corners are nice. I don't like the old sharp corners.

LDog
01-21-2013, 22:47
I hadn't filled it up, so I didn't know. But it does ...

LDog
01-21-2013, 23:10
I'm waiting till I get some standardized weights to check my scale before I get real specific, but I'm disappointed that the system appears to weigh quite a bit more than their advertised tho undefined "Total Field Weight: 3oz." On my scale, the filter alone is over 3 ozs (after backflushing and draining overnight). Add the bag and my scale reads over 4 ozs, add the syringe and the whole package is well over 5 ozs. If yer thinking of swapping out from a heavier filter, that's still a pretty good weight savings. But if, like me, you're thinking of using this instead of Aquamira cause "its only 3 ozs," then maybe you need to look into it further...

leaftye
01-22-2013, 00:12
I don't think you can get out all the water from the filter, especially with gravity alone. I usually swing it around after filtering to get more water out. I can tell there's still a lot left though.

Sawyer told me those sturdier bags are only available with the filter at this time.

LDog
01-23-2013, 22:56
I'm waiting till I get some standardized weights to check my scale before I get real specific,

I got the weights and my scale checks out fine ... Which pisses me off ...

http://www.laughingdog.com/p/my-scale.html

G-FOURce
01-23-2013, 23:37
I'm waiting till I get some standardized weights to check my scale before I get real specific, but I'm disappointed that the system appears to weigh quite a bit more than their advertised tho undefined "Total Field Weight: 3oz." On my scale, the filter alone is over 3 ozs (after backflushing and draining overnight). Add the bag and my scale reads over 4 ozs, add the syringe and the whole package is well over 5 ozs. If yer thinking of swapping out from a heavier filter, that's still a pretty good weight savings. But if, like me, you're thinking of using this instead of Aquamira cause "its only 3 ozs," then maybe you need to look into it further...

You dont need the syringe if youre using a collapsible water bottle or hydration bag - Just make an adapter and use your clean water bag to back flush it.

lukabrazi
01-24-2013, 08:54
Here's a good comparison.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/#more-594 (http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/#more-594)

lukabrazi
01-24-2013, 09:21
I never had a problem with my old bags and I used to blow up the large one and throw it in a stuff sack and use it as part of my pillow. I think that the people who were having problems were squeezing much harder than they needed to as opposed to rolling and letting gravity do most of the work. What I like is that even if I were to have a massive bag failure I could have just screwed it on my water bottle.

G-FOURce
01-24-2013, 12:52
called and cancelled my order today. eighteen days since ordering the item and they have no idea when they'll even get it themselves, never mind getting it to me. meh... lesson learned.

i also called sawyer today to see what differences, if any, there may be with the new bag and/or filter. the answers: 1) the filter and its internal component is the same as it has always been; 2) the new system comes with only one bag and it's structurally the same with the only difference being the graphics on the bag

Chris10
01-24-2013, 16:40
Calling myself today. Like I said , I'm not in a hurry, but still..........

Chris10
01-24-2013, 17:52
Alas, I cancelled mine as well. The CS was helpful, but didn't have any idea when they would be coming in. Just ordered one from Campsaver, with free shipping, and 10 percent off, still a good deal so......