PDA

View Full Version : Is a waterproof camera a must for an AT thru?

Statue
01-06-2013, 17:17
Title says it all. I have a Canon PowerShot SD940 IS which has all the options I would want for hiking the AT except it's not waterproof. I'm considering buying an updated model just to have the waterproof feature. What do you think?

NLaeger
01-06-2013, 17:26
I haven't done my thru yet (starting in March!!!) but I hike a lot and spend a lot of time outdoors and have a panasonic that is waterproof and I won't buy another point and shoot that isn't waterproof!! It takes the worry out of what happens on those endless days of rain when everything gets wet and it also lets me take pictures in and around water, which I love! If you can afford it, I would go for the updated waterproof model!

Chevy
01-06-2013, 18:51
I haven't done my thru yet (starting in March!!!) but I hike a lot and spend a lot of time outdoors and have a panasonic that is waterproof and I won't buy another point and shoot that isn't waterproof!! It takes the worry out of what happens on those endless days of rain when everything gets wet and it also lets me take pictures in and around water, which I love! If you can afford it, I would go for the updated waterproof model!

What camera do you have? I am also looking for a camera for hiking and looking for one that is waterproof and has disposable batteries instead of rechargeable.

Thanks in advance.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 18:53
I had a Canon and loved it but I left it lying in the bottom of the kayak too many times with it raining and it finally quit. I purchased a Juji waterproof camera and it'skay but I like the Canon much better. For backpacking I'd use the Canon and keep it in my hipbelt pocket in a ziplock bag.

ChinMusic
01-06-2013, 19:00
Title says it all. I have a Canon PowerShot SD940 IS which has all the options I would want for hiking the AT except it's not waterproof. I'm considering buying an updated model just to have the waterproof feature. What do you think?

You have to ask yourself, will you really be taking many pics on rainy days? If not, a ziplock bag will work.

If you are willing to use your smartphone as your camera you can have it treated by Liquipel to make you phone very, very water resistant.

JAK
01-06-2013, 19:03
I think a shot take through a plastic bag on a rainy day has a certain charm that can capture the moment.

Datto
01-06-2013, 19:05
I've had two different waterproof clamshell Olympus cameras during long-distance hikes. Both of the clamshell cameras had the clamshell ripped right off (inside my backpack) within 500 miles. I wouldn't buy or use a clamshell camera for a long-distance hike.

Keep in mind that when you thru-hike the Appalachian Trail you and much of your gear is going to be wet, particularly during the first and last months of your AT thru-hike. You can get around that situation when using a down sleeping bag because you can protect it and you only usually pull the sleeping bag out once per day (and you may be in a shelter when you pull out the sleeping bag).

You may pull out your camera several times per day on your AT thru-hike and if it's not waterproof or protected very well you could not only ruin the photos but you could ruin the camera. I honestly don't know how a person would protect a non-waterproof camera when using the camera in the rain and drizzle (which is probably how you may be using your camera during the first and last months of your AT thru-hike).

By the way, make sure you take plenty of photos of people (less so of the scenery) -- it's the photos of the people that you'll treasure later after your hike has been completed. The non-people, scenery-type photos will likely be a Next, Next when you view your photos five years after your AT thru-hike.

Datto

Statue
01-06-2013, 19:09
I had a Canon and loved it but I left it lying in the bottom of the kayak too many times with it raining and it finally quit. I purchased a Juji waterproof camera and it'skay but I like the Canon much better. For backpacking I'd use the Canon and keep it in my hipbelt pocket in a ziplock bag.

I think I might do this. It turns I can't find an updated model of my cannon that is waterproof, at least not one that is under $400.

Statue
01-06-2013, 19:13
You have to ask yourself, will you really be taking many pics on rainy days? If not, a ziplock bag will work.

If you are willing to use your smartphone as your camera you can have it treated by Liquipel to make you phone very, very water resistant.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know about liquipel, can you use it on other electronics?

coach lou
01-06-2013, 19:17
I have an Olympus Stylus Tough, waterproof and shock proof....I fish and snorkel w/it...........I just use it, I don't even think about it.

rusty bumper
01-06-2013, 19:24
I chose to use my cell phone as my camera on my AT hike...I decided I didn't want the extra weight of a dedicated camera, plus I didn't want to deal with the battery issue for 2 devices. I was very happy with this decision with the exception of a few times when I wished I'd had the higher resolution and zoom capability of a "real" camera. For waterproofing, I used a zip-lock. When it was raining or when I was fording a stream, the phone was in the zip-lock in my pants pocket. The zip-lock never failed to keep the phone dry in over 5 months on the trail.

ChinMusic
01-06-2013, 20:03
Thanks for that info, I didn't know about liquipel, can you use it on other electronics?

As best I can tell it is only for phones. I don't know why.

Liquipel: http://www.liquipel.com/

Drybones
01-06-2013, 20:10
I think a shot take through a plastic bag on a rainy day has a certain charm that can capture the moment.

Dont be an idiot...you take it out of the bag A.H.

leaftye
01-06-2013, 20:22
Taking pictures in the rain is something special, perhaps because so few do it. An umbrella is great help. It also helps shield the screen from glare to make it much easier to see. If you do store a non waterproof camera in a baggie, I suggest attaching some type of wrist strap to it because cold wet hands don't always hold onto wet bags very well, especially when that hand is already holding an umbrella. A strap of trash bag plastic attached with gorilla tape should be more than good enough.

Sarcasm the elf
01-06-2013, 20:24

In my opinion, the only question is: Do you want to buy a camera that is made to stand up to the conditions on the trail now, or do you want to wait until your existing camera, which is not designed to take outdoor abuse, breaks during your hike? ;)

Bringing any type of electronics on the trail that are not sufficiently protected is taking a real gamble. Cameras that are not made for outdoor use can easily be destroyed when they get wet or are dropped, and you will end up dropping them and getting them wet at some point if you plan to hike for six months straight. My buddy has already destroyed a Nikon cool pix tht was less than six months old because he took it backpacking. Meanwhile my Olympus Stylus tough, which is designed for outdoor abuse has gone through rougher use and us still fine.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2013, 21:02
Just so long as you don't totally submurge your camara (or other devices) you should be fine. No matter what you use, it's going to be pretty beat up by the time you finish a thru-hike. I've seen a lot of cracked screens :)

I keep mine in a small zip lock parts bag, which is used to line the inside of the carrying case. If it's really wet out, I'll leave it in my pack and might pull it out if there is something interesting to take a picture of. It's a good idea to put it in the sun once in a while to dry out any mosture which might get inside.

Touch screen smart phones are pretty much hemetically sealed anyway. About the only place water might get in is at the usb/power jack and that might also be sealed. Still, try not to drop it in a stream or pond or leave it out in the rain overnight.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2013, 21:43
Over the years I have destroyed a few digitals, and here is a nugget of truth, Olympus and Nikon both make excellent cameras, and currently I am on the Coolpix. You do not need rain to destroy a camera. If I could afford waterproof I would have done it by now. The above posts forget that humidity and dewpoint, as well as sheer cold - not to mention a few grains of sand down at the side of a stream can and will destroy a camera. If you can afford it, coolpix has held up better than Olympus is my vote.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26293/COOLPIX-AW100.html

WILLIAM HAYES
01-06-2013, 21:47
not necessary i keep my camera in a zip loc

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2013, 21:54
Just so you understand - ziplocks are not waterproof - they are resistant.

cliffdiver
01-06-2013, 22:05
I've got an Otterskin 'Defender' series protective case for my iphone and I'm planning to just take it in a zip lock bag. I'm hoping that's going to be good enough.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2013, 23:12
OK are you a gaming man? grab the case put two tissues inside it. fill the kitchen sink or a pitcher and dunk and hold.... well you can guess if the tissues are wet....

Let me know if you have to return it....

Miner
01-06-2013, 23:24
I just carried a Panasonic Lumix GX1 which weighed about 14.8oz and has a removable lens. I pretty much hiked an entire month where it rained at least part of the day. I carried it in a camera case attached to my shoulder straps which was all the water proofing I used. No problems at all. I did carry a large ziplock bag just in case I wanted additional waterproofing, but never used it.

A waterproof camera is not needed for hiking as long as you store it in something that is mostly waterproof.

swjohnsey
01-06-2013, 23:27
Waterproof cameras take generally crappy pictures.

coach lou
01-06-2013, 23:31
My Olympus is 4 yrs old, 40 fishing days in Montana,4 years of trout fishing, 28 days in the Caribean, 275 miles on the AT, Hurricane Irene and Sandy, 4 New England winters, 4 New England Summers, if it ever stops working I will get another one.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2013, 23:33
Uh why is that? they have got a lot better SWJohnsey.... FYI GOPRO was used in Australia's reef and other places. When was the last time you looked?

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-06-2013, 23:42
I think a waterproof camera is a very good idea.......
Yeah, you can 'waterproof' your camera by putting it in a Ziplock, but they aren't totally waterproof & it is a good idea to double bag. The big problem though is that it is time consuming to get it out to take a photo & sometimes the subject will get away. And if it is raining (as it sometimes does on the AT :-) then you risk getting it wet anyway.
On my thru, I hiked for long periods with a bunch of other hikers, & mine was the only camera that survived the entire trip. That was a Pentax Optio (long superseded) I now use a Panasonic Lumix. Great camera & takes very good photos for one that is so tough.

Just make sure you keep the seals in the battery compartment clean !

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2013, 23:44
Wow KK always comes thru!

MuddyWaters
01-06-2013, 23:48
I keep camera in ziplock in my pocket. No problems to date.
In part, to keep the screen from getting scratched up by other things. The ziplock works well for that too.

coach lou
01-06-2013, 23:50
Just make sure you keep the seals in the battery compartment clean !

++++++++++++++++++very important

TJ aka Teej
01-07-2013, 00:08
Ziplock.
Ta da. Your camera is waterproof.

Mountain Mike
01-07-2013, 00:22
Over 5K hiking only time I wished I had a waterproof camera was when I knocked my water bottle over on my SLR in my tent when it was out of it's case. On the trail a case or in pocket & ziplock have worked fine for me. May have missed a few good shots in downpours but I was normally either laughing to hard or to petrified to take a pic anyway.

Abner
01-07-2013, 01:06
Being an oldtime canoeist, I successfully carried an SLR, two lenses, and several cans of film in a Pelican Case for fifteen summers of guiding trips on whitewater rivers in canoes. That said, here is a concept worth considering...http://www.adorama.com/OB8000CL.html?gclid=COihzr661bQCFQqe4AodBQwAAw It is an Otterbox, which clips to one's belt or one's backpack. I'm sure there are other such things on the market which would protect your camera from weather, foreign objects, and dings and falls. Being slightly gear-OCD, I'd find some closed cell foam to line such a little box...a light layer of some sort of foam padding to protect your camera from a fall. Otterbox makes a crushproof, waterproof box specifically for cellphones. I know this would weigh a few ounces more than a ziplock, but I am sure you could safely transport a camera or a cell phone the length of the trail in such a little lightweight waterproof, crushproof "safe." Personally, being the type who falls every so often while hiking trails, I would worry for my cellphone's security in stream crossings, and just walking along on the trail. I didn't check Pelican Boxes but I would wonder if they too didn't manufacture some waterproof and crushproof miniature box as well.

swjohnsey
01-07-2013, 08:39
Compare the capabilities of something like the Canon S100 to waterproof cameras. If you want more than a point and shoot you won't like the performance.

I carried a S95 and it got damp a couple of times because of continuous rain. It dried out an functioned properly. I was a little lax about keeping it in a Ziploc at times.

Oak88
01-07-2013, 09:02
I did buy the Nikon Cool pix AW100. While I don't think it's a must, I don't worry about dirt, rain and drops. The freedom from worry is important for me.

q-tip
01-07-2013, 10:52
I have use both--
the Nikon not wterproof died in a puddle in my Cuben belt pouch..

I got an Olympus Tough 320 for $125 excellent camera...This is going to the JMT this summer...

tarantolk
01-07-2013, 11:17
I have a pentax waterproof/shock proof/crush proof/freeze proof & only 7oz & hangs on my pack by a carabiner. It retails at about 240$ or so, I got it for 160$ on sale. It's great not to worry or think about it & it's always ready for a quick shot.

Snowleopard
01-07-2013, 14:07
I've hiked with a number of different, non-waterproof cameras with no problem. I usually carry them in plastic bags, usually ziploc. I don't usually take pictures in pouring rain unless I have a way to protect the camera. I have had one digital camera stop working after taking a bunch of pictures in pouring rain in a local park. I thought it was a goner, but after it had dried out for a long time at home it worked again.

Your camera has a waterproof case available for it, but it's $200: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660466-REG/Ikelite_6240_94_6240_94_Housing_f_Canon.html
I would just use ziploc bags, double bagging it if I was expecting lots of rain. aloksak bags are supposed to be really waterproof: http://www.loksak.com/purchase?product_type=10

NLaeger
01-07-2013, 14:29
Waterproof cameras take generally crappy pictures.

Not all of them take crappy pictures. Yes there are some out there that do, but waterproof cameras have come a long way. I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. I have used it in the rain, in water parks, out rafting, hiking in sun/rain/sleet/snow...It has even made it through the Tough Mudder (12 mile mud and obstacle run, and I do mean MUD!!) with me...It's water proof up to 30ft, shock proof up to 6.6 ft (for when I drop it, and I have A LOT)...It takes amazing pictures!!!
+++1 on keeping the seals clean!!! This is huge in keeping the camera waterproof!

thebrewguy
01-07-2013, 20:59
I'm really surprised that no one has really talked about the GoPro Hero cameras. I have a Hero 2 and 3 and love both. They come with waterproof cases and are very modular with accessories and mounts. So you can bring what you want/don't want. The camera features are limited but they take great pics by default. The fisheye lens makes taking great self-shots easy.

All that being said, I think the real question about cameras on the trail is: do you use a more basic point-n-shoot (like the Canon A810 which I also own) that uses ordinary AA batteries, or a better camera and have to deal with recharging? There are a lot of benefits to the camera using AAs, especially for a thru hike. I'm curious how some of you go about recharging on the trail. I have a Duracell pocket charger that uses AAs and has a USB port to charge anything with a cord.