PDA

View Full Version : Gear critique -- 2013 NOBO

Blackett
01-06-2013, 19:10
This is my tentative gear list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjvgTixQXw64dEpxRnV0XzhhSEhrSlJEeC1VaVd4N 0E) for my 2013 NOBO, leaving mid-March. My base weight comes to 28.32 lbs. Too much.

I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Del Q
01-06-2013, 19:15
Yup, too much

Ton of threads on gear, popular topic.

30-32 lbs with 5-6 days of food and water is easy to reach with $$$ and taking only what you (think) you need. This is about hiking, not camping.

Sunrise to sunset, its about hiking and making forward progress.

..........food and water

map man
01-06-2013, 21:06
You've got cotton underwear (3 pair) on the list. Exchange these for synthetic. Stay away from cotton on the AT -- takes forever to dry.

Dr. Professor
01-06-2013, 21:31
This is my tentative gear list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjvgTixQXw64dEpxRnV0XzhhSEhrSlJEeC1VaVd4N 0E) for my 2013 NOBO, leaving mid-March. My base weight comes to 28.32 lbs. Too much.

I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

It can be done at that weight. I'd rather do it with less. If you don't mind telling us, knowing how much money you might be able to spend would be very helpful. Some of the obvious upgrades -- sleeping bag and tent (or my preference of a hammock) -- cost money. The better options cost more.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-06-2013, 21:57
go with a pack like the ULA circuit your pack is very heavy-also check out a lightweight one person tent you should be able to save about 3lbs off your base weight by switching these two items out

Blackett
01-06-2013, 22:12
If you don't mind telling us, knowing how much money you might be able to spend would be very helpful. Some of the obvious upgrades -- sleeping bag and tent (or my preference of a hammock) -- cost money. The better options cost more.

My budget's not too constrained--my friends have been giving me gift cards to REI and the like for the past year! I do want to be cost-conscious. Don't want to spend more than 1800 on gear, and would like to spend less if possible.

Papa D
01-06-2013, 22:38
You have too many clothes (most people do) - - also, ditch the water filter for sure. I worked on your list a bit. Here you go:

PACK GROUP
Backpack (THIS IS A HEAVY PACK - CHECK OUT A LIGHTER ONE - THERE ARE A BUNCH - ULA CIRCUIT?)
Rain cover (OK)
SHELTER GROUP
2-person tent (GET A ONE PERSON TENT - UNDER 2.5 lbs)
HYGIENE GROUP
Hand sanitizer (SKIP THIS)
Kid's toothbrush (OK -OR JUST CUT ONE IN HALF)
Toothpaste (SAMPLE SIZE -OR USE TOOTH POWDER)
Toilet paper (1/4 ROLL)
Sunscreen (THE TINY TUBE WILL DO)
Soap (1/4 BAR IN ZIPLOCK - THIS IS YOUR HAND SANITIZER)
Towel (PACK TOWEL, RIGHT)
SLEEPING GROUP
Warmer weather sleeping bag (YES - WHEN IT'S TIME)
Synthetic cold weather sleeping bag (synthetic) (NO)
Down cold weather sleeping bag (YES -KEEP IT IN A DRY SACK)
Stuff sack (WATER PROOF)
Sleeping pad (3/4 LENGTH)
KITCHEN GROUP
Stove (HOW ABOUT A COOK-POT? 1 LITER TI? FUEL? - ALCOHOL STOVE IS LIGHTEST, THEN POCKET ROCKET W/ CANISTER - 2ND CHOICE)
Matches (SKIP - YOU HAVE LIGHTERS)
Lighter (TAKE 2 - WHAT THE HELL - STASH ONE IN YOUR SLEEPING BAG)
Water purifier (DITCH THIS RIGHT AWAY -USE AQUA MIRA - IT WILL CLOG NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR THINK)
2 water bottles (GATORADE BOTTLES) READ THIS ARTICLE: sectionhiker.com/go-light-ditch-your-nalgene-bottles/
Camelback JUST SKIP IT - JUST WATER BOTTLES - I KNOW IT SEEMS LIKE A GREAT IDEA BUT THE BOTTLES ARE JUST THE MOST SIMPLE
Ziploc bags (YES)
Stuff sack for food (YES)
Rope (JUST NEED PARA CORD)
NAVIGATION GROUP
AT guide (ONLY TAKE PAGES YOU NEED)
Tikka Plus 2 headlamp (OK)
Writing implement (OK)
Compass (YOU WON"T NEED COMPASS ON AT)
REPAIR GROUP
I SUGGEST ADDING A VERY TINY POCKETKNIFE OR RAZOR BLADE
Pain/inflammation/fever pills (GOOD)
10 sudafed capsules (DON"T NEED TO CARRY UNLESS ALERGY PRONE)
Antihistamine (DON"T NEED TO CARRY UNLESS ALERGY PRONE)
Disinfectant (SKIP THIS - MAYBE ONE ALCOHOL PAD)
Medical tape (PAPER COACHES TAPE)
Duct tape (JUST ABOUT 1 FOOT ON A POLE OR WATER BOTTLE)
(ADD A NEEDLE AND 1 PR LATEX GLOVES AND 2 BANDAIDS)
LUXURY GROUP
Postage stamps (YOU CAN GET IN TOWNS BUT OK)
Disposable camera (OK - THEY STILL MAKE THOSE?)
Notebook (OK)
Paperback book (BOOKS ARE IN SHELTERS AND HOSTELS FOR THE TAKING)
CLOTHING GROUP (YOUR CLOTHING REALLY NEEDS PARING DOWN)
Boots (GO WITH HIKING SHOES - NOT BOOTS)
3 pairs thick socks (WEAR ONE PAIR, CARRY ONE PAIR -THAT'S IT)
1 pair light socks (SKIP)
2 bandanas (YOU ALREADY HAVE A PACK TOWEL - CHOOSE ONE)
Fleece hat (GOOD)
Bug headnet (ARE YOU SOUTHBOUND, IF NO, SKIP THIS)
Sunglasses (YOU PROBABLY DON"T NEED THEM - A VISOR MAYBE)
3 pair cotton underwear (WEAR 1 PAIR, TAKE ONE PAIR - REC. POLYESTER)
Mittens (HOW ABOUT RUNNING GLOVES or LINERS?)
T-shirt (START LONG SLEEVE PATAGONIA)
Base layer, upper body (THAT'S THE T-SHIRT - DON'T DO 3 TOPS)
Insulating layer, upper body (OK-ONE FLEECE OR WOOL SWEATER)
Top layer, upper body (DOWN JACKET TO START THEN SEND HOME)
Rain jacket (YES)
Base layer, lower body (NO - YOU'VE GOT LONG JOHNS)
Insulating layer, lower body (1 PR. LONG UNDERWEAR)
Rainpants (OK)
YOU NEED A PAIR OF HIKING SHORTS

A BASE WEIGHT OF 15 POUNDS IS HEAVY BECAUSE CONSUMABLES WILL BE 10 POUNDS AND A 25 POUND PACK IS PLENTY

cliffdiver
01-06-2013, 22:42
You have 3 sleeping bags listed in your gear list? Is the total weight of bags included in your base load?

Dr. Professor
01-07-2013, 00:14
Listen to Papa. While we might quibble over a few items, I certainly agree with his overall statements.

For the kind of money you're talking about (up to $1800), I'd get a tent from here: http://zpacks.com/ (I'm a hammock guy, but I wouldn't make the switch at this point -- too late, and too much $$$).

For that money, I'd get the Granite Gear Crown 60 pack.

I'd get a new sleeping bag. I'm not sure which one since I'm a hammock guy and haven't bought a conventional sleeping bag in a while, but I'd ditch some weight. This, for example: http://www.backcountry.com/western-mountaineering-ultralite-sleeping-bag-20-degree-down-wes0031?CMP_SKU=WES0031&MER=0406&mr:trackingCode=1E2D931C-8763-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA&avad=397_b3a4f57d

Dr. Professor
01-07-2013, 00:42
Do you have hiking poles? I would VERY strongly recommend them. I don't personally think the weight of poles matters (some people do, I disagree). Poles help BIG TIME.

Papa D
01-07-2013, 09:29
Do you have hiking poles? I would VERY strongly recommend them. I don't personally think the weight of poles matters (some people do, I disagree). Poles help BIG TIME.

poles help most people in that your arms can do a little of the pushing uphill and you are less likely to fall on slippery downhill sections so, yes, they are helpful. Most people don't typically include poles in their pack weight sort of like you wouldn't include shoes because neither is in your pack (at least not too much). I like not hiking with poles about half of the time - - for rocky areas and scrambles (think White Mountains), I'd rather have my hands so I really like Black Diamond Z-Poles - they fold up and are super light when not in use. Here is a video of them: www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/journal/mountain-video/video/how-to-video-black-diamond-zpoles/

I also hate to ADD anything to your pack at this point but most everyone likes a pair of camp shoes of some sort - - these will really give your feet a break - - you could take some super cheap sandals from a dollar store or a pair of crocs. Crocs are heavier but you can modify them a little with scissors or a pocket-knife and carve a couple of ounces off.

Blackett
01-07-2013, 12:04
Thanks so much everybody. I have poles, should've put those on the list. They're kinda old and heavy so I'll look at those black diamond ones.

Nice article about water bottles. Will definitely switch.

I'll check out those tents and sleeping bags. And all good points about my clothes.

No compass?!...Ok.

Papa D
01-07-2013, 17:10
Thanks so much everybody. I have poles, should've put those on the list. They're kinda old and heavy so I'll look at those black diamond ones.

I'll check out those tents and sleeping bags. And all good points about my clothes.

No compass?!...Ok.

cool - yeah - no compass - - there is no true wilderness route finding on the AT - Big White Blazes every few hundred feet (or sometimes a few hundred yards). You won't forget which way you are hiking. Your Thru-Hiker Companion Pages, Data Book, or AWOL Guide will pretty much list every blue blaze (side trail) and where it goes (if it's important). Occasionally, you'll remark that the blazes need re-painting or touching up for a section, but you'll find them just fine.

The only place that I can say that the trail is sometimes just a little hard to follow is in the White Mountains where the trail shares ground with other trails (sort of like state highways do) but as long as you pay attention and sometimes you will be following a different color blaze (sometimes bright yellow) that is more prominent than the white color blaze (can't see the white in the snow). Sometimes the trail will also be marked by Carins (rock piles) but even in the Whites, you will not need a compass provided you pay attention.

That said, everyone occasionally looses the trail for a few moments by heading down a angler's path or a trail to a campsite but this sort of thing is easy to figure out quickly with just a little back-track - no compass required.

Papa D
01-07-2013, 17:12

No compass?!...Ok.

If you already have poles, don't waste money on Z-poles unless you just want to. Wait till yours get lost or break of something.

Dr. Professor
01-07-2013, 19:41
If you already have poles, don't waste money on Z-poles unless you just want to. Wait till yours get lost or break of something.

Agreed.

Your money can be spent far more effectively elsewhere.