PDA

View Full Version : Cook Pot Size??

NLaeger
01-06-2013, 19:35
I am trying to figure out what cook pot I will actually need to carry with me on my thru. I am use to hiking with others so I usually carry a 2.0L pot, But I got a .7 for christmas and am curious if it is actually big enough to cook more then just water in it. I'm not going for gourmet cooking but do want something big enough to cook more then just liquid..
If it were up to you guys, What's the ideal size to take? Thanks!

4shot
01-06-2013, 19:55
to me, .7 would be a bit small. I carried a 1L and filled it up at times. I'm about 6ft and 200 lbs.

Tuckahoe
01-06-2013, 20:03
The cook pot I find myself going to most often is the 12cm sized Imusa mug (I believe that comes in at around 44 ounces).

Drybones
01-06-2013, 20:05
All I need is something that will boil 16 oz (2 cups) of water.

Tharwood
01-06-2013, 20:07
MSR Titan Titanium... Pot and cup....

CarlZ993
01-06-2013, 21:27
.7L pot is pretty small to cook in. The smallest I've been able to use comfortable is .85L pot. If all you're doing is boiling enough water to freezer-bag cook or use Mountain House or similar food, 0.7L pot is fine. I used a .55L pot to freezer-bag cook on a hike. Put 2 C water in it, boiled it, poured it in my freezer bag, stirred it up, and placed it in a cozy. Ten minutes later, I was eating it w/ my long-handled spoon.

I normally use a .9L pot (REI Clone of the Evernew pot; short & wide). Works great. I recently tested it out of a box of Mac & Cheese as well as a box of stuffing mix. It handled both of them quite well. This size pot will be the one I take on my thru-hike.

Miner
01-06-2013, 23:29
I normally carry a 550ml pot to boil water in. As I use the Freezer Bag Cooking method, I don't need a larger heavier pot to actually cook in and thus don't need to worry about cleaning it either.

MuddyWaters
01-06-2013, 23:51
Two cups is plenty to re-hydrate. Sometimes that will give you coffee as well as food. Especially if you dont mind making coffee with starchy water left over from soaking plain macaroni

Don H
01-07-2013, 07:55
I am trying to figure out what cook pot I will actually need to carry with me on my thru. I am use to hiking with others so I usually carry a 2.0L pot, But I got a .7 for christmas and am curious if it is actually big enough to cook more then just water in it. I'm not going for gourmet cooking but do want something big enough to cook more then just liquid..

What type of cooking are you planning on doing? If you're just boiling water for Freezer Bag cooking you'll only need a small pot, I use a 700ml Snow Peak mug.

swjohnsey
01-07-2013, 08:33
For .9 is a little small 1.3 L a little big. A little too big is better than a little too little.

Papa D
01-07-2013, 08:43
.7 might be a little small - this depends on how you like to eat - - are you strictly pouring hot water into bags or are you actually cooking things like pasta, potatoes, macaroni, cous-cous, oatmeal, etc. in the pot? I typically carry a .85 liter titanium pot by MSR - it's very light and has a little spout that doubles as a strainer. I nest my pocket rocket (or sometimes alky stove inside it) I also wrap 1 lighter, a pair of MSR Tongs, and a Titanium Spork in about 1/2 of a pack-towel inside the pot. I have a little mesh bag and I put the lid on the bottom, then the pot with the nested items and draw string it closed. The whole "kitchen" is about the size of of a softball and weighs between and 8 - 10 ounces plus fuel.

This is the pot I carry and what I might suggest:

www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/rapid-cooking/titan-kettle/product (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/rapid-cooking/titan-kettle/product)

For what it's worth, I can cook a whole box of macaroni and cheese easily in this pot.

moytoy
01-07-2013, 08:51
.7 is almost 3 cups which is plenty big for me. I typically cook knorr sides with added dried meat and ramon noodles. Make oatmeal with added raisin for breakfast and make hot choc. Everything else I eat is mostly nut based.

renais
01-07-2013, 10:23
I find the MSR Titan kettle at .85l just right. I can cook any of the side dishes I'd want, or a full mac and cheese without problem. This pot is very durable, easy to clean, and easy to pack with most of the kitchen inside.

Rasty
01-07-2013, 12:25
I have the Snowpeak Mini Titanium Solo Kit. My stove fits inside the main pot. I generally eat cereal for breakfast and use the cup to mix the milk in it and add cereal a little bit at a time. I like having the cup for this purpose because I don't have to unpack the main pot. The whole set weighs 5 ounces. The main pot is 28oz (.83liter) and the cup is 10oz. I cook real meals in the pot, not just boil water.

http://www.rei.com/product/668926/snow-peak-titanium-mini-solo-cookset

QiWiz
01-07-2013, 13:25

For me on solo trips, 900 ml is the smallest volume that works well. It depends on how you like to cook. I like to have two cups of hot coffee or tea and 1-2 cups of hot water for my breakfast or dinner food, so I am always heating 3-4 cups, then removing the two for my drink, then adding food to the remaining 1-2 cups depending on what I'm having to eat. Always eat out of my pot in a cozy.

Tumbleweed1
01-07-2013, 13:34
I normally carry a 550ml pot to boil water in. As I use the Freezer Bag Cooking method, I don't need a larger heavier pot to actually cook in and thus don't need to worry about cleaning it either.
Miner, What stove did you use with a pot that small? I'm thinking about getting a 550, but not sure about a stove that will work.

NLaeger
01-07-2013, 13:55
I just received an alcohol beer can stove from a friend as a gift. I love the weight of it, but have never used one before. I plan on testing it out as soon as I get some alcohol for it. My question is, how long will one of these stoves last while doing a thru hike? If I do go this route, should I just plan on replacing it at some point?

NLaeger
01-07-2013, 14:09
Sorry didn't mean to put that last post here...

Drybones
01-07-2013, 17:49
I just received an alcohol beer can stove from a friend as a gift. I love the weight of it, but have never used one before. I plan on testing it out as soon as I get some alcohol for it. My question is, how long will one of these stoves last while doing a thru hike? If I do go this route, should I just plan on replacing it at some point?

You will need a means of protecting it from crushing. I wrap a wind screen around mine, it may get a few dents from day to day packing but still functional. I dont recommend you cook in it, too hard to clean, but great for heating water.

moytoy
01-07-2013, 18:29
Miner, What stove did you use with a pot that small? I'm thinking about getting a 550, but not sure about a stove that will work.
This is what I use for my small pot. It's a penny stove so the center hole is covered. I can boil two cups of water for 8 min. with 1 oz of fuel. Notice the holes turned to the inside of the lip. It works for me. The stove burns for about 13 min. total with 1 oz of fuel. A lot of success in using alcohol to cook with is knowing your stove.

The Snowman
01-07-2013, 19:46
I like my MSR Titan kettle small nice lid easy to pour and drink from.

JansportD2
01-07-2013, 20:21
I've used a KMart/Stanco grease pot (1.2L) for years. It's a little big, but the weight and price are great.

slims
01-09-2013, 13:34
What exactly do you want to cook? I used the 1L pot from the GSI Pinnacle Soloist set on my thru last year. A friend I hiked with had a .7L Snow Peak pot which worked well. He just boiled water though.

Drakken
01-09-2013, 14:54
I say, it all depends on what your cooking. I use pans because I like to fix Spam singles and mashed potatoes for dinner and pancakes in the morning. A pot just would not do for me. But I would suggest you look over the foods you plan to take and visualize fixing them in each pot and see which one will fit your needs.

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 08:53
Another factor to consider, big pots don't weigh much more than small pots.

aficion
01-11-2013, 10:01
Another factor to consider, big pots don't weigh much more than small pots.

I love my 2 liter MSR titanium pot. Holds and protects stuff when in my pot. Not much heavier than a smaller pot. Heats enough water for a nice hot shower. I can boil 2 dozen eggs outside the grocery store after resupply. I can make food for friends. Cook/stew almost anything. Etc, etc. When you are out there a while it seems a few ounces here and there are worth adding for the luxury factor. Probably not so much if you go to town for the night every three days. If you are wanting to pretty much stay in the woods and hike on a budget, some extras will help you enjoy your hike more.

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 10:26
Made me curious, weights of Evernew Titanium pots w/lids 600 ml 95g, 900 ml 115g, and 1300 ml 130g.

Hosaphone
01-11-2013, 13:42
I have always found 900ml to be way more than I need. I bet I could get away with a smaller pot like a 700ml... That said, I haven't experienced "hiker hunger" yet, so I view that extra room as a good thing that I may appreciate later down the road.

You may want bigger or smaller depending on what you cook and how much you eat, but it seems hard to wrong with 850-900ml for a solo hiker.