PDA

View Full Version : Another Titanium Stove

Tharwood
01-06-2013, 19:35
Hello all..... I received a new Titanium alcohol Vargo decagon stove as a late present... I have been using a pocket rocket for a couple of yeArs and a MRS titian titanium pot and cup. Being new to the ETOH world, is this stove worth trying?... I have entertained the thought of alcohol for a while but never have... has anyone else heard of , or tried these stoves? And how we're they? Thanks

G-FOURce
01-07-2013, 08:40
use the search option here and google for the Vargo stove, but from what i've seen they're not very well received. if you havent used it, perhaps you'd want to consider returning it for the cash and getting an alcohol stove from one of the members here who make/sell them?

Tharwood
01-07-2013, 09:12
Can you point me in the direction of a custom stove then? Any WB members have a website or pics / discriptions of there stoves? I have seen several on YouTube, most were different variations of a Beer Can Stove ( Penny Stove) ... Any information you could give would be awesome... Thanks

G-FOURce
01-07-2013, 09:57
http://www.bottlestoves.com/

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/cabbage-head-stove.php

also, Nutbrown on here makes stoves and Fosters pots. i have one of her stoves and Foster pots and they're both great.

Starchild
01-07-2013, 10:17
I have that stove, recommended by a thruhiker and after trying it out a few times chose to go with the Jetboil for my thru. I have found that priming was inconstant and sometimes needed attention to get it to bloom in a reasonable amount of time. Fuel use was OK and easy to recover the unused fuel for later use. Base was stable, but the pot could get tippy. It also needs a wide bottom pot, not a tall and narrow one. The greasepot worked well on it for heat transfer but the wider the pot the more unstable it is, so there is a tradeoff there. When all was said and done, including pot, pot handle, windscreen, bottle and enough fuel for how I like to eat for 3 days I found the whole rig weighting at 15.7 oz and the Jetboil weighing in with a full fuel can at the same 15.7 oz my decision was made.

If I needed to I could make due with it, but why would I want to. Also I do like the added safety of the jetboil as I have needed to cook in my tent vestibule at times and using the Vargo stove was a bit dicey with the potential of lighting the ground on fire.

If I was going back into Alchy stoves I would look towards the caldara cones, though that is more of a single purpose boil water ONLY device but the weight and the heat transfer are great.

Peace

Rasty
01-07-2013, 10:51
Can you point me in the direction of a custom stove then? Any WB members have a website or pics / discriptions of there stoves? I have seen several on YouTube, most were different variations of a Beer Can Stove ( Penny Stove) ... Any information you could give would be awesome... Thanks

Trail Designs Caldera Cone

QiWiz
01-07-2013, 13:30
Trail Designs Caldera Cone

+1 for alcohol as primary fuel, I don't think there is a better stove than the CC. For multifuel (wood, Esbit, alcohol) there are some other good choices.

Drybones
01-07-2013, 13:36

With a hole punch and a can of cat food you can make a good stove in a couple of minutes
www.zenstoves.com (http://www.zenstoves.com)

Tharwood
01-07-2013, 15:09
Thanks All...