PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access in towns

facelesscombatant
01-06-2013, 20:27
For those who have thru-hiked and used computers while in towns, what is the availability of free computer access at libraries or other sources? The reason I ask is I would like to stop in town to email family and write blog posts 2-3 times per month.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2013, 20:41
No problem. Most libraries have a 30 minute limit, pretty much every town has a library. Most hostels and motels have a public PC, usually the use is free, but sometimes there is a modest fee to help pay the connection costs.

If you get close to a chain motel you can usually tap into their wi-fi from outside. Most hostels have wi-fi. Of course, that supposes you have a wi-fi enabled device on you. Just using the library internet is possible, but can be a hassle sometimes - during the busy season you can wait in line a long time for your turn.

SCRUB HIKER
01-06-2013, 21:25
I hiked in the busy season NOBO without a smartphone, computer, tablet, Kindle--anything to use the internet--and I had no problem accessing the internet in town. Places that I can remember having access to computers:

1) town libraries
2) some motels and hostels
3) some outfitters
4) some other random establishments (Mojo's coffeeshop in Damascus, VA; the Chamber of Commerce in Bethel, ME)

I can't remember ever having to pay for internet. Every now and then a hiking friend with a smartphone would let me check e-mail on his device, which is usually all I wanted to do anyway. I don't know about the Companion, but the AWOL guide ("The AT Guide") has a little icon for places with internet access in every town. Hope this helps.

TOW
01-06-2013, 22:25
Damascus now has wireless on the main thoroughfare through town to Cowboy's and onto Dot's. The library has wireless as well.....

fireneck
01-10-2013, 14:19
Don't expect to access any "real computers" I had a hell of time trying to upload photos to my blog. Most public computers have restrictions on it for the safety of the machine/network, making uploading photo/video not possible. I had such a frustrating time that I just stopped trying to upload photos to my blog.

However, most the computers I had no problem with blogging (text only) and surfin' the net.

peakbagger
01-10-2013, 18:09
Whatever you do, dont try to access secure sites like banking. Public computers are infamous for being loaded with spyware. I accessed one of my less private e-mial accounts and it was obvious someone had been in there just minutes after I got off the PC.

OzJacko
01-11-2013, 04:23
My plan is to "bounce" a small cheap PC as much as possible - "Loner" 2012 thruhiker describes this in one of his 100+ YouTube videos.
Gives you freedom from queues/time limits and you just need a wifi hotspot.
I will have a proper bounce box bounced 4 or 5 times but hope to get the PC about weekly.

To save time when on a PC, if you have a Hotmail or similar email (and let's face it we all have something like that), save a draft email that contains the URL's for your likely sites, e.g. direct link to WB or your own TrailJournal. Obviously don't save passwords etc there but with a draft full of URL links you can quickly access the pages you want and better save time, especially when connection is slow. Sort of a travel with you bookmarks page. Open email first and then pop open any others in a new tab.

StylinLP38
01-11-2013, 18:17
Bounce a PC? errr, these days one would use a tablet. Their is even the new Windows8 tablets. either carry with you which I will do, or ship it ahead to yourself. My new iPad Mini weights nothing and really thin. 300grams