PDA

View Full Version : Youth's Hiking Pack

icequeen
01-06-2013, 23:22
I've posted briefly last May, in reference to my youngest and hiking the AT. We've section hiked a lot of VA and we look forward to the day we can thru-hike together.

Before now, she's just used a child's pack (carrying her food/water/sometimes her sleeping bag), but the older she gets (she's 11) the more I think that she needs to start pulling a little more weight! :D I carry I Kelty Courser 40 pack (works for our section hikes), and although I do want to get her a decent pack, I don't really want to "break the bank"...knowing she'll definitely need another in her early/mid teens.

She sees this as a graduation ceremony - rightly so, and has illusions of carrying a grand pack! I hate to disappoint her, but realistically she'd fall over! She's short for her age, but a chunky monkey! Any suggestions of brand/model would be appreciated!

*Side note for those who remember my post from last year - Her father agreed to the homeschooling last October! :)

Thanks!

MuddyWaters
01-07-2013, 00:00
11 yo girl should just be hitting her big growth spurt. By 13-14 she will about done height wise.
Make sure its adjustable by several inches.

grayfox
01-07-2013, 10:55
I would think a pack that is in the 'day pack' category would be best. Deuter Futura, Osprey Talon come to mind as brands.

You might like the Kelty Impact 30 Women's pack at Campmor--nice blue, adjustable suspension, rain cover, full features--looks real nice to me. A bit heavy at 3lb but not so bad for what you get.

Pay a bit extra for comfort IMHO. A few extra bucks are worth it at the end of a long trail day. And be sure it is a 'cool' pack--whatever your daughter sees as 'cool' that is.

Wishing you both Happy Trails.

MamaBear
01-07-2013, 11:15
Congrats for being out with her and enjoying what the trail has to offer!

My son is 11 and for our longer trips and overnights he has an Osprey Ace 48. The pack is totally adjustable for torso length, which will be good because he will have this pack until he is fully adult sized and can get an adult pack. It comes with a self stowing rain cover, and we've used it in New England. We liked the way you can access the bottom of the main compartment without have to take everything out of the pack. This pack also looks almost exactly like my Atmos 50, so it looks pretty grown-up and not like a school backpack. The downside is that the pack heavy, over 3lbs.

That said, I agree with grayfox, put a bit extra money and effort into getting a pack that is comfortable. Go to a retailer if possible and try them on loaded up with similar weight for whatever trip you're thinking of doing. If the pack isn't comfortable right in the store with hopefully a nice clerk who will help with adjustments, it is probable it might never be quite right.

Feral Bill
01-07-2013, 12:52
An eleven year old should be able to carry a load proportional to her weight (20% MOL). It should be possible to find her a "real" pack that will adjust to her size for at least several years. My daughter18869, now 22 still uses the pack she got at ten, refusing all offers of upgrades. See REI for several choices. They refit my kids packs several times as they grew, and if the pack you chose doesn't work out, accept returns.

FarmerChef
01-07-2013, 15:50
My kids (12, 10 and 7) hike with Deuter Fox 30s and an REI Sprig (7 year old). I got the Fox 30 because it had an adjustable torso but it doesn't hold much and, like you, doesn't allow them to start to carry more weight. Plus, the Fox 30 is heavy (80 ounces) versus my Jam 50 (30 ounces) or my wife's Flash 50 (29 ounces). We tried the Jam on both our girls and they liked the fit and feel. Plus the Jam now costs less than what I spent on the Fox 30s. I hate to flush the Fox 30 money down the toilet so my son and youngest daughter will inherit those while we upgrade the older girls to Jams. I also agree with Feral Bill and others that a trip to REI or your local outfitter to try on packs is a good idea.

Comet Omega
01-07-2013, 20:20
Check out the ULA Circuit "Kids Adjustable" 12"-18". That would be an awesome pack for a kid I would imagine!

JAK
01-07-2013, 20:33
Consider a pack like this...
http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/lightweight-travel-pack-backpack?p=48817-0-065

Feral Bill
01-08-2013, 01:20
Consider that kids are hard on gear.

G-FOURce
01-08-2013, 08:22
also, if you spring for a quality pack then don't discount what they can carry. my 10-year old, who is QUITE small for his age (52" tall and 60lbs) carried an 11lb pack for five miles two weekends ago and never complained once. get the best pack you can afford for them just like you would for yourself. the more comfortable the load the happier they'll be and the more you'll get to enjoy the outdoors with them.

icequeen
01-08-2013, 22:09
Thanks everyone for your input! At least I have a jumping off point! I agree that quality & comfort are top priority...now if I can only convince her of that! :)