PDA

View Full Version : Free offline AT topo maps for Android

qwerty
01-07-2013, 15:59
OK, finally got the trail data assembled and ready for download! I made a page on my own site so I can more easily manage it:
http://stevenread.com/project/appalachian-trail-maps-2013

I am still making the page look prettier and stuff, but the zip download (338 MB) and basic instructions are all there. You can use these maps on your Android while hiking with your phone in "airplane mode" such that its feasible to go 4-6 days between towns on one battery charge. Test it out and post to this thread if you have any problems. Would love to hear what people think about the maps. Based on feedback I could make revisions, and possibly another version for iPhones. They are not the greatest topo maps you've ever seen, but they are functional and FREE open source data. ( from http://toposm.com ) I wish there was more data available like higher zoom levels, colored relief, landmarks, etc... for now this is the best I could legally assemble of the entire trail. Maybe next year we'll see more toposm data, or perhaps someone here can compile a better set!

Qwerty

Another Kevin
01-07-2013, 18:47
PM me if you want to work more on it! We can go back to the data sources that TopOSM uses and reconstruct the missing levels. We can also add more details where we've got them. It's liberating once you get to the point where you can make your own slippy map tiles.

Sly
01-08-2013, 22:06
I haven't done anything but look at your website, and the maps look great, but I believe there's a $10 fee at The Birches.

Sly
01-09-2013, 03:48
At first couldn't find the oruxmaps folders but finally figured out how to mount the SD card (I was in media mode) and got the app working. Pretty neet. After I play with it a bit, I'll let you know how it's working.

qwerty
01-11-2013, 14:15
Hey Sly good catch on the Birches Shelter information shown. The trail tracks and shelter data is at least 5 years old, so keep that in mind. I personally wouldn't hike on the AT without also bringing pages of Awol's most recent AT Guidebook. I never carry the whole book, just the pages I need :)

It also should be noted that the map tiles themselves are courtesy of Stamen Design out of San Francisco. It is their map tile server (and bandwidth generosity) that made this AT map download possible.

Qwerty