PDA

View Full Version : Frogmore Stew

DavidNH
01-07-2013, 16:10
Some of you must know what Frogmore Stew is. I understand it's a southern dish.

I found a recipee and did it up for my new year's eve supper. I am curious as to 1) why is it recommended to use unpeeled shrimp and 2) do you have any of your own variations on the standard recipe that you could share here?

DavidNH

Donde
01-07-2013, 16:19
The shells flavor the broth. Like making stock.

Rasty
01-07-2013, 16:36
The shells also retain the flavor in the shrimp as opposed to flavoring the liquid.

The recipe comes from Frogmore being the mailing address of St. Helena Island. The recipe is basically a regional variation of a New England clam bake which is a variation cave man cooking.

S'more
01-07-2013, 17:39
The shells also retain the flavor in the shrimp as opposed to flavoring the liquid.

The recipe comes from Frogmore being the mailing address of St. Helena Island. The recipe is basically a regional variation of a New England clam bake which is a variation cave man cooking.

HUH. Learned something today. Being of NE born and raised, and living now in the south, I find this cooool. :D

gizzy bear
01-07-2013, 17:46
we call it beaufort stew when we are in beaufort...lake murray stew when we are on the lake....

Biggie Master
01-07-2013, 18:30
Or simply -- call it a Low Country boil.

T-Rx
01-07-2013, 19:44

That's what we call it around here also.

S'more
01-07-2013, 19:57

THAT I have heard of...

Rasty
01-07-2013, 20:01

That's what we call it around here also.

Same thing. St. Helena was populated by former slaves so the white folks gave it the Lowcountry name. A lot of African cuisine was renamed. But this recipe was made shortly after discovering fire.

T-Rx
01-07-2013, 20:56
Same thing. St. Helena was populated by former slaves so the white folks gave it the Lowcountry name. A lot of African cuisine was renamed. But this recipe was made shortly after discovering fire.

Thanks for the history lesson Rasty. I've eaten it on many occassions but never knew the origin.

Papa D
01-07-2013, 20:59
Ok - so, I'm going to brag a little bit. The guy in this video is a friend of mine - he's famous too. Hugh lives in Athens and owns 2 restaurants here and plays cards in my poker game. I think he is the definitive authority on Frogmore Stew which is a signature dish in his restaurant. I eat fish sometimes (but am otherwise vegetarian) so he begrudgingly makes it for me sans sausage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ar-7eIvqM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ar-7eIvqM)

that's not his home kitchen. I built that one.

Rain Man
01-08-2013, 23:49
One of my college buddies was from Frogmore. I've been through there a few times. :)

There are better stews though! Such as Brunswick Stew or Louisiana gumbo. IMHO.

Rain:sunMan

moytoy
01-09-2013, 08:04
Traditionally Frogmore stew (low country boil) is not a stew at all. It's just all the ingredients thrown into a pot with boiling water and some spices if you like. Put the sausages and the potatoes in first then add the corn on the cob and the shrimp last. We used to do this on the beach over an open fire and a big 5 gal pot. For me if your going to make it into a stew then that's something else. And definitely do not peel the shrimp before you cook them:)

MyName1sMud
01-09-2013, 11:41
I've lived 28 years in the Deep South and have never heard of this?

On the other hand..... I eat the hell out of frog legs.

Talk about some gooooooooooooooooooood eatin'!

Rasty
01-09-2013, 11:55
I've lived 28 years in the Deep South and have never heard of this?

On the other hand..... I eat the hell out of frog legs.

Talk about some gooooooooooooooooooood eatin'!

Coastal South Carolina through Coastal Northern Georgia is called the Lowcountry. Three major influences on the cuisine (Western Africa, English and French).

MyName1sMud
01-09-2013, 12:23
Coastal South Carolina through Coastal Northern Georgia is called the Lowcountry. Three major influences on the cuisine (Western Africa, English and French).
You can find those influences all over the South.

Those are the three settlers that moved to the South.

Some places throw in some Spain influences here and there.

Rasty
01-09-2013, 13:49
You can find those influences all over the South.

Those are the three settlers that moved to the South.

Some places throw in some Spain influences here and there.

Of course. The order of influence just moves around a bit and regional ingredients have the most influence. An example would be New Orleans having a heavier French influence then Charleston which leaned a little more English. American cuisine has taken the best parts of multiple influences and melded them together.

MyName1sMud
01-10-2013, 15:24
Of course. The order of influence just moves around a bit and regional ingredients have the most influence. An example would be New Orleans having a heavier French influence then Charleston which leaned a little more English. American cuisine has taken the best parts of multiple influences and melded them together.
And that's what I like about the South!