PDA

View Full Version : Big differences between SOBO and NOBO?

Popnfrsh24
01-07-2013, 16:14
Hey all,

So I was originally going to plan to quit my job here around march and leave to walk the app trail! My original thought was to leave in march and head north. BUTTTT I just got reassigned a new position at work, so I think I am going to stick around for a while to see how this new position works out. Even if I did tell my job that I wanted to leave in march head NOBO, I have a feeling they would try to keep me as an employee and let me do my thing. But, I thought about playing it safe and work for a little bit longer at my new position to prove how awesome of an employee I am. That way, it would be even harder for them to fire me if I wanted to leave a few months later and head SOBO!

All you people that have done the trail, what are your thoughts about going SOBO instead of NOBO? It seems like NOBO is the more popular option, but also SOBO seems to be pretty popular for college graduates, which would fit me well since I am 24. Originally NOBO sounded really awesome because you start around spring, see everything bloom, and it sounds like the scenery/mountains gets better as you go. Are there any pros/cons about doing SOBO? I do realize that whichever way I go, this is going to be an experience of a lifetime. Just wanted your guys opinion on the matter.

Thanks!

Don H
01-07-2013, 17:35
There's generally about 5 times more NOBOs than SOBOs.

bigcranky
01-07-2013, 17:40
SOBO is cooler weather, fewer people (but not lonely until possibly late in the hike), fewer services, and the beginning is physically and logistically more difficult. New England in summer is beautiful, fall in the South is also very pretty. SOBO usually avoids the really hot weather in the Mid-Atlantic.

Cookerhiker
01-07-2013, 17:49
Here's the ATC's summary (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start) of NOBO vs. SOBO thruhiking.

4shot
01-07-2013, 19:34
The link above does a pretty good job of listing pros/cons. I went NOBO for 2 reasons - a) wanted to get started as quickly as possible as soon as I decided to attempt a thru. Secondary was - I really enjoy late fall, football season and the holidays. the thought of snickers and ramen for Thanksgiving discouraged me from a sobo. ;)
either way is good.

Don H
01-07-2013, 20:25
the thought of snickers and ramen for Thanksgiving discouraged me from a sobo. ;)

Could have had foil pack chicken and instant mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving ;)

I celebrated Easter Sunday at The Barn Restaurant in Adkins with several other hikers, it was an Easter I'll never forget.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2013, 20:32
i've done 4 NOBO and 1 SOBO. i liked SOBO the best. it's the way to go

4shot
01-07-2013, 21:08
I celebrated Easter Sunday at The Barn Restaurant in Adkins with several other hikers, it was an Easter I'll never forget.

you must have started earlier than me. Easter was spent in Hiawasee at Ron's hotel. Church in the morning, chili dogs, potato chips, beer and ice cream in the hotel parking lot.

sometimes I walked backwards so I could visualize a sobo hike. sometimes I walked both sobo and backwards for the heck of it and forgot which way to go. Then it is all the same. i do remember many hills along the wayo matter how I was walking. plus food i didn't like too much. But Easter is good no matter where or how it is celebrated.

Praha4
01-07-2013, 21:39
hey The Barn in Atkins, VA at I-81 has the best Hiker Hamburger on the AT! Awesome!

Could have had foil pack chicken and instant mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving ;)

Miner
01-07-2013, 21:44
SOBO is much harder since you are doing the hardest part of the trail while in the worst condition. New England is also more expensive then the southern end of the trail and you'll spend more money since you'll be hiking through it slower then a NOBO would. You won't have the motivation knowing that the most scenic part of the trail is ahead, instead you know its behind you (not that there isn't some nice scenery in the southern part). Except for the early finishers going NOBO, a typical SOBO will have worse bugs in Maine and you can't hike as fast as a NOBO to escape them.

Datto
01-07-2013, 23:30
Hey all, are there any pros/cons about doing SOBO? I do realize that whichever way I go, this is going to be an experience of a lifetime. Just wanted your guys opinion on the matter.Thanks!

One group is crazy. The other is nuts.

Where is Felix when you need a SOBO comment?

Datto

Red Hat
01-08-2013, 09:01
At your age, SOBO is fine, if you are in reasonably good shape. I tried a SOBO in 2008 at 60 and it was way too difficult at the start for me. Remember that Maine and New Hampshire are the toughest part of the trail.

juma
01-08-2013, 12:01
SOBO, water will be more scarce on the trail from Pennsylvania on, you'll carry a bigger pack, and you'll hit some real cold. Reminded of the hardy SOBOs I saw in December one year - I was hiking south and stopped at Ground Hog Creek shelter for a snack break about 10am. Four SOBOs were playing a board game on the picnic table with a fire burning under the table. It was about 20 degrees and windy. Talked with them awhile and received the hike wisdom of building a fire at nite up under the shelter eave or as close as possible - guess thats how they get burned down sometimes.

MyName1sMud
01-08-2013, 12:08
The link above does a pretty good job of listing pros/cons. I went NOBO for 2 reasons - a) wanted to get started as quickly as possible as soon as I decided to attempt a thru. Secondary was - I really enjoy late fall, football season and the holidays. the thought of snickers and ramen for Thanksgiving discouraged me from a sobo. ;)
either way is good.
Yes Sir.

Thanksgiving and Football Weather are the only reasons I'd go NOBO.