PDA

View Full Version : Have you done a low-budget thru hike?

prain4u
01-07-2013, 21:25
I would like to see some posts from people who have REALLY done a low budget thru hike in "recent" years (2008 -2012). I would be interested to hear what you REALLY spent (and, if possible, how you managed to hike so inexpensively). The more detail that you can give us--the better. (A super short answer, such as "$2,500 in 2008", doesn't help other people to learn from your experience).

It is my guess, that many folks who claim to have done an extremely low-budget thru hike possibly aren't counting all of the same expenses as some other people --or their hike occurred many years ago.

In order that we can make sure that we are comparing "apples to apples", here are a few suggested guidelines for the discussion:

1) DO NOT include the transportation costs from your home to/from the trailhead. (These costs are very important--but they vary too much from person to person to make a valid comparison). DO INCLUDE all other transportation costs that you had DURING your hike.

2) DO NOT include the cost of your initial gear that you purchased prior to your hike. Include ONLY THE COST FOR REPLACEMENT GEAR AND REPLACEMENT CLOTHING THAT OCCURRED DURING YOUR HIKE. (DO count it--even if you purchased it prior to the hike and just had it shipped to you on the trail).

3) DO include the purchase cost of all food (and other items) that were mailed to you (or otherwise delivered to you) while on the trail. (Include it, even if family members or friends paid for it).

4) DO include the approximate cost of postage for mail drops and/or "bounce-boxes"

5) DO include the costs of showers, laundry, hostels, hotels, and ALL food costs.

6)DO let us know if you relied heavily upon items in "hiker boxes" and/or relied upon the generosity of others in any significant ways.

7) LET US KNOW THE FOLLOWING (if possible):
A) The year of your hike
B) NOBO, SOBO, flip-flop of other similar information.
C) Approximately how many days your through hike lasted.

canoe
01-07-2013, 22:25
If you do a search on this subject I think you will find an amazing amount of Info. Good luck on your hike

prain4u
01-07-2013, 23:32
If you do a search on this subject I think you will find an amazing amount of Info. Good luck on your hike

I will agree that the topic comes up almost weekly. However, people tend to simply throw around dollar amounts--without really saying what is included (or excluded) in those dollar amounts. And, we have very few "solid" examples of people who actually completed such low-budget hikes RECENTLY.

When pushed for details, you discover that some "low-budget" folks will have left out some pretty big expenses--such as the cost of food that they prepared or purchased at home and had shipped to them. (They will also forget a couple hundred dollars in postage costs etc.). Thus, I am just trying to get some folks to compare low budget hiking costs "apples to apples" on this thread---instead of "apples to oranges".

I doubt that many will respond--but at least I will have tried! :)

Different Socks
01-08-2013, 00:48
Okay, this wasn't the AT(though I did my thru in 92): On my PCT hike thru CA, after costs of food and postage(about $600 together), I spent only about $1000 more during the 1800 mile hike. That was money spent on in town stops, laundry, equipment replacement, extra food, etc.
For all these people out there that say they don't think that they can do the AT on $2000 after food is purchased, that's just crazy. I know I could do the AT for $2000 once I started and that's with a town stop every 5 days, meals, extra food, laundry and equipment fixes/replacement.
All these people that say they go into town and easily spend $100 at every stop are the people that don't like to do mail drops, party to much in town, eat out too much, etc.
Some day, and this ain't BS, some day I will do the trail again with only $2000 in my bank acct after food and equipment/clothing is purchased.

Different Socks
01-08-2013, 00:54
Okay, this wasn't the AT(though I did my thru in 92): On my PCT hike thru CA, after costs of food and postage(about $600 together), I spent only about $1000 more during the 1800 mile hike. That was money spent on in town stops, laundry, equipment replacement, extra food, etc.
For all these people out there that say they don't think that they can do the AT on $2000 after food is purchased, that's just crazy. I know I could do the AT for $2000 once I started and that's with a town stop every 5 days, meals, extra food, laundry and equipment fixes/replacement.
All these people that say they go into town and easily spend $100 at every stop are the people that don't like to do mail drops, party to much in town, eat out too much, etc.
Some day, and this ain't BS, some day I will do the trail again with only $2000 in my bank acct after food and equipment/clothing is purchased.

BTW, in case anybody wants to know: I drove a company van from CO to San Diego. They allowed me the time to drive over to northern CA and make my way south and as I went I dropped off my boxes of food at places. Hence, there was not always postage to pay because I didn't mail it from a PO. The cost of gas would have been the same expense if I'd flown there, not to mention the fact that if I had flown, I would have had much higher postal costs, there by I saved money.

Don H
01-08-2013, 07:39
If you can get enough feedback this would be a good article.

Karma13
01-08-2013, 08:46
This survey is an awesome idea, prain4u. Thanks for starting it! Collating the information in one place will be hugely helpful. I hope you get some responses, and I'm looking forward to reading them all!

Chuckie V
01-08-2013, 10:46
I can't respond precisely to each of the OP's comments, alas, but I've done a few hikes now and almost each was done on the cheap...a buck a mile or less, sometimes much less. For what it's worth, my PCT hike in '06 lasted 224 days, and could've been truncated to half as long, saving me that much more. But I love being out there and never want the trail to end...and so I try to make every hike last as long as possible. I figure the first hiker done loses!

1) I rarely budget a trip; I just stick to my usual survival tactics. Lost income is the only real burden, but life on the trail can be much cheaper than life in a house or an apartment and it helps balance the financial equation a little better (not to mention the intangible benefits like living a fulfilled life when on the trail!).

2) I never keep receipts, but for the most part I just opt for the cheapest choice when strapped for cash (as I've almost always been). Unlike so many of today's youths, I refuse to mooch or to yogi/imply that I need assistance, so it can make a thru-hike that much more challenging, as it if weren't already challenging enough. I pretty much always advise against hiking when strapped for cash (there's enough strapping us down already!), but I've lived this way most my life, so the choices come relatively easy for me: Go the cheap route and continue to exist! Then continue to do more than merely exist by hiking all the trails and traveling to all the places I'd like to see!

3) I almost always buy food as I go. Shipping foodstuff is a major no-go, generally*. This means my health may be compromised since some of the food available in towns is anything but health-inducing. But I opt for the healthiest, most calorie-laden foods I can find, those that fall within my budget and provide the most bang for my buck. Unhealthy foods are a "pay now or pay later" proposition, and so I try to eat the best I can, given the restrictions of my wallet. *If the cost of shipping food is overridden by the cost of food in a small trail town, I will ship food ahead, via the slow boat or Priority Mail. This takes some research, but research is free thanks to this incredible site and Google!

4) Though it's the biggest one, I figure food should really not even be considered a cost. We have to eat no matter what we do, though our caloric needs probably increase somewhat when hiking. But these needs don't change for me since I'm an active guy whether on the trail or not. As such, I don't focus much on the cost of eating...or at least anymore than I already do. Young hikers coming from mom and dad's would need to, if they're not already paying for their own food.

5) Paying to drink (water or anything sweetened or fermented) is a no go. Water is free and cheap to make safe (ala bleach or the training of the gut to build its own tolerance to bacteria, etc).

6) Paying to sleep somewhere is also a no-go. And in any case the nicest bed is the one under the stars!

7) Paying to wash off is a no-go. Use creeks or lakes or free facilities.

8) Thrift stores have outfitted a large portion of what I've used or needed to replace. I start all my hikes or adventures with equipment that has been tested and used many times over, stuff that lasts. I repair or sew that which needs to be. Duct tape and zip-ties are cheap and they can work wonders! My feet are strong and I buy cheap shoes from thrift stores or Wal*Mart. Starter brand shoes at Wally World run as cheap as $12 and are made by Nike! I loathe Wal*Mart but they offer cheap prices.

9) Hiker boxes have helped but only a fool would expect to rely on them or indeed rely on them. Still, it's amazing what other hikers (i.e., trust-funders) discard! Fuel, sunblock, books, clothing, food, gear, maps, and so on. It's always worth a gander.

10) Batteries are a major expense if using electronic goods en route, and I usually go with rechargeable ones. This reduces cost, despite any hassles presented.

There are other factors, but these are the primary ones.

Lastly, it's my opinion that life in the United States is too easy; I've been fortunate enough to travel the world and see how much of the world's population subsists and survives, and they almost always have it rougher than anything any of us here has ever experienced, or ever will. This brings a perspective that allows me to simplify my life and seek the joy that often seems to be lacking here on our "consumer/work to pay for it all" treadmill. Some of the poorest people I've ever met (in Africa and India and the like) are unbelievably happy, and they rarely question it or ponder it. They do what they can with what they have where they are.

Mags
01-08-2013, 12:24
Listen to Chuckie V.

Very experienced outdoors person and athlete who has a joy for the outdoors most people don't have.

Welcome to WB Chuckie!

Good to hear from you.. :)

Still in the Boulder Bubble for now..but looking to move at some point. :)

max patch
01-08-2013, 12:38
8) Thrift stores have outfitted a large portion of what I've used or needed to replace. I start all my hikes or adventures with equipment that has been tested and used many times over, stuff that lasts. I repair or sew that which needs to be. Duct tape and zip-ties are cheap and they can work wonders! My feet are strong and I buy cheap shoes from thrift stores or Wal*Mart. Starter brand shoes at Wally World run as cheap as $12 and are made by Nike! I loathe Wal*Mart but they offer cheap prices.

Thanks for the info. As I wear Nikes for both running and hiking - they fit me perfectly so I can order them online with no fit worries - I did a quick google to verify this. I learned that Starter was acquired by Nike and that Nike does indeed have shoes at WalMart that are designed by them under the Starter name. The business article stated that the Nike designed shoes are priced at $40 at WM. This would imply that the cheapest $12ish Starter shoes are the non Nike designed shoes that were originally produced by Starter and Nike has nothing to do with them (other than owning the company).

As $40 is cheaper than $80 I'm going to see what the Nike inspired Starter shoe is all about.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2013, 12:47
The only thing I disagree with Chuckie V's list is #7 - washing in creeks and ponds. Unless he means using the water from those sources, but not actually IN them. Always wash away from the water! [But sometimes the price of a hot shower is worth it, although it is the most transitory experiance on the trial!]

I suspect getting an accurate accounting of how much any hike costs is going to be difficult. I for one have no clue what my hikes costs. I have a rough idea, but not exact. If you put all the expenses on a card, in theory one can go back and figure it all out, but who bothers to do that?

Chuckie V
01-08-2013, 13:20
The only thing I disagree with Chuckie V's list is #7 - washing in creeks and ponds. Unless he means using the water from those sources, but not actually IN them. Always wash away from the water! [But sometimes the price of a hot shower is worth it, although it is the most transitory experiance on the trial!]

Indeed, that's what I meant. Sorry for any confusion; I'm not one to include the full enchilada or a disclaimer each time I jot a thought.

Mags! Thanks for the welcoming; I had no idea White Blaze was so utterly extensive. It's great to hear from you. I'm sure we'll be conversing here a lot. I need to head to your Quick and Dirty AT webpage...the trail will all be new to me, as will the eastern US! I'm not currently in Boulder, or else I'd go buy you a fermented drink at the Mountain Sun.

Slo-go'en: My work has close ties to the shoe industry (I'm a coach/sports agent) and I try to tell everyone I can to check out the Starter brand shoes, that is if they're in need of saving (more than) a few bucks. I have no ties to the company, nor would I want to. Just that the shoe fits. The average cost of a pair of Nike running shoes (after all the manufacturing/marketing/shipping) is roughly a twentieth of the retail price. In my mind, all running shoes are severely overpriced, but the market (i.e., gullible American consumers) pays the asking price, so what the hell do I know?! And of course, as a thru-hiker, you want to treat your feet nicely, and no expense should be spared.

Chuckie V
01-08-2013, 13:22
I meant to direct my last comment on the post above to max patch...sorry about that!

WingedMonkey
01-08-2013, 13:45
Not that I'm not a fan of Starter brand (just picked up some shorts for my last trip), but they are no longer a Niki brand.

They were bought up by one of those brand management companies that licenses brands to retailers and manufacturers.

Iconix Brand Group, owners of everything from the Danceskins name to Ocean Pacific.

Still a bargain if you shop carefully.

Mags
01-08-2013, 13:51
the trail will all be new to me, as will the eastern US! I'm not currently in Boulder, or else I'd go buy you a fermented drink at the Mountain Sun.

Different from the west...but think you will like it. The culture, and the beauty of the AT, make it a good experience if you take it for what it is.

Thanks for the tip on Starter shoes. Who wouldda thunk it?

max patch
01-08-2013, 13:52
Wow..they sure did.

Wonder if the Nike designed shoe is still available? A trip to WM is in store.

flemdawg1
01-08-2013, 17:41
4) Though it's the biggest one, I figure food should really not even be considered a cost. We have to eat no matter what we do, though our caloric needs probably increase somewhat when hiking. But these needs don't change for me since I'm an active guy whether on the trail or not. As such, I don't focus much on the cost of eating...or at least anymore than I already do. Young hikers coming from mom and dad's would need to, if they're not already paying for their own food.

9) Hiker boxes have helped but only a fool would expect to rely on them or indeed rely on them. Still, it's amazing what other hikers (i.e., trust-funders) discard! Fuel, sunblock, books, clothing, food, gear, maps, and so on. It's always worth a gander.

10) Batteries are a major expense if using electronic goods en route, and I usually go with rechargeable ones. This reduces cost, despite any hassles presented.

There are other factors, but these are the primary ones.

Lastly, it's my opinion that life in the United States is too easy; I've been fortunate enough to travel the world and see how much of the world's population subsists and survives, and they almost always have it rougher than anything any of us here has ever experienced, or ever will. This brings a perspective that allows me to simplify my life and seek the joy that often seems to be lacking here on our "consumer/work to pay for it all" treadmill. Some of the poorest people I've ever met (in Africa and India and the like) are unbelievably happy, and they rarely question it or ponder it. They do what they can with what they have where they are.

Not really what you mean by #4. Food cost $, you have to pay for it, and its a big chunk of my real world budget. The difference of a hiking trip is you don't have income so watching every dime is even more critical.

I'm also a big fan of thrift stores.

tarantolk
01-08-2013, 21:17
I believe anything can be done if you want it that bad. People go without everyday.

starbright
01-08-2013, 22:04
I plan to do a budget thru-hike 2013. I will post what the expences are for my hike. Going to try and keep a journal going while on the trail. Maybe this will be able to help with the questions. I'm going to try and do mine on a $1000.00 and enjoy it all the way.

Datto
01-08-2013, 22:16
Here's a part of the equation that most people new to long-distance hiking and siting in the comfort of their living room and thinking they can get by on some [pick one] ridiculously low amount of cash for an AT thru-hike -- don't quite grasp.

In the beginning, say miles 0-200, your mind is going to be screaming, "get out of the rain, go someplace warm." And right there, that will cause you to start spending money because that "warm" place in Georgia and North Carolina, is going to be conveniently labeled "town" and the people you're hiking with are also cold and wet and they're going into town too. The saving grace for the first 200 miles of a northbound AT thru-hike is that Georgia and North Carolina are amazingly inexpensive places to go to town to warm up and rest your weary bones.

Somewhere around, oh, mile 500 to mile 700, your body will likely completely change your thinking patterns. Your body will likely be screaming, "Get me some good food with lots of fat in it -- greasy, spoonfuls of wondrous fat." And so you're going to hit the Waysides in Shennandoah National Park (because, ha, you're walking right past them on the AT) and hit towns like Front Royal and Waynesboro and all of that will be considerably expensive to your budget if you've chosen to go to the AT with a ridiculously low amount of cash.

That screaming wish for fatty foods is likely going to occupy your mind all the way from milepoints 500-700 to the end of your journey at Katahdin.

Then, THEN, you get to Connecticut and you start seeing how expensive town stops can be. You're going to say to yourself, "I did not plan on spending that kind of money." But you do. By this time, spending money is not that big of a deal to you. You'll rationalize why it is you're spending so much money and just spend it because, by that time you're going to figure out what a vast change to your life the AT is making.

Then you get to Maine and you're likely going to be freezing cold and you may be shivering quite a bit of the time in the rain. Yes, the rain again. It's a beautiful state but it is trail-rugged beyond your imagination and for a northbound AT thru-hiker finishing in autumn it's going to be wet and cold and windy most days. Your body will likely still be screaming, "More Fat, Maestro!" and your going to want to get out of the cold and wet and get a warm cup of [pick a hot, steaming, cup of liquid of your choice].

So, when you hear people, multiple people, people who have done it, multiple people who have done it, tell you that you'll likely going to need $5,000 to spend for your AT thru-hike, you're going to be less than clueless if you don't listen. I suppose there are some of you who are wishing to be clueless or actually think you know what you're doing with a [laugh] $2,000 budget. So much so that you think you know more than anyone else even through you've never hiked a continuous 100 miles in your life much less done it in the rain, snow and mud.

Oh well, your choice. It's just spilt milk under the dam if you don't listen.

This -- the lack of adequate money -- is one of the big reasons more than 75% of the people who start an AT thru-hike never finish (and most of those who never finish never even get to Damascus, VA).

So why not just take heed and take the advice and suggestions of people who are trying to help you? Is it because you're going anyway and if you don't have enough money then you'll quit? Geez, what the heck kind of decision making process is that for someone who's taking on a great challenge ?

Oh well, I still say you can't tell people who don't believe in gravity that it's going to hurt if they jump off a cliff. Modern Darwinism in the 21st century I guess.

Datto

tarantolk
01-08-2013, 22:37
I'm doing my thru this June & will document my spendings to get a hands on idea for everyone since this is an ongoing discussion I've seen in many different places.
I'm from CT which is a more expensive part of the trail, So it will not faze or surprise me.
Although I will be bringing a decent amt of $ (rather, have access to) I still will be spending very wisely & little as possible without harm to my health, emotional or physical well being. I don't party (drink/drug) and that's a big expense I don't have to deal with.
I'm going to have a fabulous time!
If I can make it in Fairfield county with a tight budget my whole life, I can make it on the trail, no doubt.

Datto
01-08-2013, 23:15
There's a television commercial running nowadays -- for an insurance company as I remember -- where some guy in the commercial is trying to convince a chainsaw juggler that he can handle the requisite coordination and just toss the chainsaws over his way and he'll figure it out on the fly. In the same commercial there's another guy who walked up to the "Day Old Sushi" food truck and orders his lunch.

Sure, I suppose there probably has been someone who caught on real quickly to the requirements of juggling chainsaws and I suppose there are people who can eat day-old sushi and not get sick. Just like there probably are people who have done an AT thru-hike on $2,000 -- may three people total --without ending up mooching off their fellow hikers or skipping sections of Trail and just calling it done and complete when the money ran out.

But is that you? You're the guy who's gonna be able to juggle the chainsaws and learn it on the fly?

Datto

prain4u
01-08-2013, 23:37
Here's a part of the equation that most people new to long-distance hiking and siting in the comfort of their living room and thinking they can get by on some [pick one] ridiculously low amount of cash for an AT thru-hike -- don't quite grasp.

In the beginning, say miles 0-200, your mind is going to be screaming, "get out of the rain, go someplace warm." And right there, that will cause you to start spending money because that "warm" place in Georgia and North Carolina, is going to be conveniently labeled "town"......

Somewhere around, oh, mile 500 to mile 700, your body will likely completely change your thinking patterns. Your body will likely be screaming, "Get me some good food with lots of fat in it -- greasy, spoonfuls of wondrous fat.".....

Then, THEN, you get to Connecticut and you start seeing how expensive town stops can be......

Then you get to Maine and you're likely going to be freezing cold and you may be shivering quite a bit of the time in the rain. Yes, the rain again.....

So, when you hear people, multiple people, people who have done it, multiple people who have done it, tell you that you'll likely going to need $5,000 to spend for your AT thru-hike, you're going to be less than clueless if you don't listen.

Datto

Probably one the best posts that I have read on this subject! Bravo!