PDA

View Full Version : Current trail conditions from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap

STICK
01-07-2013, 23:19
Hi. Me and a few friends will be doing the short 16 miles from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap this weekend. I was just curious if anyone has been through this are recently and can comment on the water sources, as well as the weather conditions. Looking at a few weather sites for Helen GA it looks like temps there will be highs from mid 60's to 70 F, and lows as low as high 40's! That is crazy! Anyway, I know it will be cooler up on the trail than in Helen, but my gosh... at those temps not far away, I am not anticipating super cold temps up there... of course though, this is still Monday, so there is still plenty of time for it to change...

Thanks.

Lucky Dog
01-08-2013, 11:49
I was up that way a couple of weeks ago. The water sources are flowing good, and with the rain predicted this week they will be real good. It should be a great weekend to be on the trail enjoy.

Left Hand
01-08-2013, 11:51
True enough. I live in Clayton, GA (east of Dick's Creek Gap). It is supposed to be unseasonably warm this weekend, but only because of cloud cover. We haven't had a long stretch of frozen weather yet this winter. Your temps look right on, although I would plan for it being a bit colder, the trail from Unicoi Gap north is higher than Helen. Can't speak for the sources on the trail, but the springs around here and further east in the National Forest are still flowing. Enjoy!

STICK
01-08-2013, 22:24
Thanks for the info. Sounds to be as I expected. Although, I will admit, I was really hoping for some good ole snow & ice... :)