PDA

View Full Version : Southern Moot.....cast your vote for a date

MedicineMan
05-26-2005, 20:44
I'm proposing a get-to-gether of WB members in the South,,,,hopefully our brethren will copy in the Virginias, the mid-Atlantic and so on.
Look at Sept 2,3,4 as the proposed weekend for the gathering.
There are gatherings and get-to-gethers and rucks....i think ours might be called the MOOT (from 'tis a gathering from Treebeard)....so
the WB Southern MOOT.
First a count of who might be interested.....
I can host a sleep over at my house---its nothing fancy but can park several cars, have a place to swim, paddle, grill, can sleep 10 comfy and 15-20 'shelter' style...I'm close to the AT at several points (7mile drive to the infamous 19E crossing, 2.5 miles of hiking to Little Rock Knob.
So what say you WB members of a Southern Moot?

neo
05-26-2005, 20:58
sounds great to me medicine man,when ya wanna do it:cool: neo

Bolivershagnasty
05-26-2005, 21:40
I'm game from Greenville SC, aka BoliverShagNasty

Youngblood
05-26-2005, 21:50
How about the Bluff Mountain Bluegrass Festival in Hot Springs, NC. I'll be there with the hammock camping group. It's a big campground, there should be room for lots of folks and it's on the AT at the French Broad River. You don't have to have a hammock, check it out: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm . It out to be a lot of fun.

Youngblood

MedicineMan
05-26-2005, 22:33
Hotsprings is awesome....post the dates please....i've got a 50/50 chance being off every other week so my fingers are crossed....def. would be a good place to entice new hammock hangers.....
Glad your keen Neo, chance for us to meet the new Mrs. of yours!
And BolivarSN, Greenville is not that far away thanks to I-26 and Highway 25 (i think that's the old Whitehorse Road???)
Anyway Im hoping all thrown ideas into the pot.....just thinking TD shouldnt be our only opportunity to put faces with names...

Repeat
05-26-2005, 22:37
My schedule at at work is changing. If work allow count me in.

Nean
05-26-2005, 22:43
Sounds like a good excuse to have a good time!

LEGS
05-27-2005, 00:20
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, BUT IS AWFULLY CLOSE TO TROLL'S GET TOGETHER IN MAINE ON SEPT. BE HAQRD TO MAKE THEM BOTH. GONNA BE HIKIN IN VERMONT THEN SO WILL MAKE THE MAINE EVENT FOR SURE. IF ITS EARLIER OR LATER I'LL BE THERE. DEFINATLY DON'T NEED TO MAKE TRAILDAYS OUR ONLY TIME TO GET TOGETHER. LOTS OF LUCK ON A DEFINATE DATE. THE BLUEGRASS IN HOT SPRINGS SOUNDS GOOD. HIKE SAFE MAN, SEE YA OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.

I'm proposing a get-to-gether of WB members in the South,,,,hopefully our brethren will copy in the Virginias, the mid-Atlantic and so on.
There are gatherings and get-to-gethers and rucks....i think ours might be called the MOOT (from 'tis a gathering from Treebeard)....so
the WB Southern MOOT.
I can host a sleep over at my house---its nothing fancy but can park several cars, have a place to swim, paddle, grill, can sleep 10 comfy and 15-20 'shelter' style...I'm close to the AT at several points (7mile drive to the infamous 19E crossing, 2.5 miles of hiking to Little Rock Knob.

LEGS
05-27-2005, 00:23
And The Word Is Hard, For Ya Typist People And The Date In Sept Is The 10th. Sorry For The Errors!! I Just Larnin' To Use This Thing!!! Hahahahaha.

sounds Like A Good Idea, But Is Awfully Close To Troll's Get Together In Maine On Sept. Be Haqrd To Make Them Both. Gonna Be Hikin In Vermont Then So Will Make The Maine Event For Sure. If Its Earlier Or Later I'll Be There. Definatly Don't Need To Make Traildays Our Only Time To Get Together. Lots Of Luck On A Definate Date. The Bluegrass In Hot Springs Sounds Good. Hike Safe Man, See Ya Out There Somewhere.

attroll
05-27-2005, 00:33
wbdent I talked to SGT Rock and Trails Days and he said he was going to work on one down south. I am sure he will chime in next time he logs in here.

wbdent As for us up North we are having one on 10 September in Maine at The Forks at the Ferrymans place just like we had last year for all interested.

TOW
05-27-2005, 08:10
i might go for that
the WB Southern MOOT.

Youngblood
05-27-2005, 08:17
Hotsprings is awesome....post the dates please....i've got a 50/50 chance being off every other week so my fingers are crossed....def. would be a good place to entice new hammock hangers.....
Glad your keen Neo, chance for us to meet the new Mrs. of yours!
And BolivarSN, Greenville is not that far away thanks to I-26 and Highway 25 (i think that's the old Whitehorse Road???)
Anyway Im hoping all thrown ideas into the pot.....just thinking TD shouldnt be our only opportunity to put faces with names...
The Bluff Mountain Festival is saturday, June 11th. The hammock hangers get together/campout is friday afternoon through sunday morning, June 10-12th. Links for the two are:

http://www.main.nc.us/bluff/
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm

MedicineMan
05-27-2005, 08:25
I threw up the dates of Sept 2-4 for the possible get-to-gether of WM members in the south.
It was rightly pointed out that this is very close to the Northern Moot threwn by Attrol.
So what about these dates posted as a poll:

I'm thiking it should have these requirements:
1. close to the AT
2. allow a night for dinner/refreshments
3. allow a day to hike
4. allow a day for trail maintanence
5. if on a weekend then could dine on Friday
hike on Saturday, dine Saturday night
trail maintanence on Sunday
6. Could involve/invite Trail Governing Bodies in the area chosen,
and especially other groups like the SEHHA (the hammocking body
of the Southeast)
7. Could change locations on a quarterly basis to accomodate those
in differnent locales, example Knoxville area this year, Tri-Cities the next,
Franklin, the next, Dahlonaga the next, and so-on and so-on.
8. Importantly, WB is the premier site for 'intro' to AT studies so it can
also be the premier offereing of 'intro' to real hiking, backpacking with
the moots an invitation to newbies interested in real hands on
experiences with the 'nuts and bolts' of AT hiking.
9. Other ideas???? I realize that Attroll and Sgt. Rock are the decision
makers, so hoping I'm not stepping on toes here, just trying to get a
snowball rolling.

Rain Man
05-27-2005, 08:51
Am I missing something? What's a "moot"? My unabridged dictionary contains no definition that seems to apply. Do you mean "meet"?

Rain:sunMan

Stoker53
05-27-2005, 09:01
Am I missing something? What's a "moot"? My unabridged dictionary contains no definition that seems to apply. Do you mean "meet"?

Term is from the "Lord of the Rings" triology. A moot is a gathering of Ents ( 1/2 tree - 1/2 man ). Basically a bunch of stiffs standing around making funny , very loud noises.

An excellent term for a WB gathering...IMHO.

Alligator
05-27-2005, 09:26
HHhurroomm, hurrrrummm, hmmmm...

Let's not be hasty...

MedicineMan
05-27-2005, 09:31
I couldnt have explained it any better.
Moot is a gathering and yes it is in a dictionary, just not a typical Merrian-Webster :)
I would hope---as per the mentioned hikes/trail maintanence/refreshments/etc. that ours would be a little more exciting than when the Ents go together.
Southern Moot...its not bad at all.

Alligator
05-27-2005, 09:37
It may be difficult to sustain events on a quarterly basis. I think you have a good idea, and I especially like calling it a moot:banana. A yearly or semi-annual event might be better to keep enthusiasm high.

MOWGLI
05-27-2005, 09:40
Will any point that is made at this gathering be considered moot?

neo
05-27-2005, 09:45
i would love to come in mid to late oct,in sept i will be on the AT section hiking
2 and a half weeks,early oct i will be on a bike ride for M.S.sounds great:cool: neo

TN_Hiker
05-27-2005, 10:17
Sounds like a good excuse to "hit the trail". If work schedule allows I will attend.

The Solemates
05-27-2005, 11:08
we'll be in the whites backpacking over labor day, so count us out. sorry..

The Solemates
05-27-2005, 11:11
the word "moot" is synonymous with "debatable".

ive always liked that word.

and we will be in the whites over labor day, so I vote for later.

Sly
05-27-2005, 19:49
One of the campgrounds in the Smokies (perferably Big Creek if it's a small get together) or along the Parkway would be a good place to meet.

stickman
05-27-2005, 20:44
Its a ways from home in northern Virginia, but I'd be interested if my work schedule allows a day or two off.

Stickman

TOW
05-28-2005, 10:48
count me in, just let me know when.....................wanderer

MedicineMan
05-28-2005, 13:12
It is a ways from Northern Virginia, that is why there should be a Mid-Atlantic Quarterly Moot...want to organize one?
Me, I'm like you, work dependent, but mobile on the weeks i am off. I feel very strongly inclined to not only attend the WB Southern Moot but the Mid-Atlantic and New England one as well.
With them occuring Quarterly and in 3 or 4 regions the chances of getting to one increase dramatically.
With 3-4 regions of WhiteBlaze and 3-4 meetings/hikes/MOOTS per year that means 12-16 meetings a year, so varying the month a little and the week a little surely there will be a MOOT that all can eventually attend.
MM

MedicineMan
05-28-2005, 13:14
Moots aren't to knock any other group out....when Billville gets together, when SNEHHA, when AHS, when etc. get together why not have a Moot, combining interests of the trail(s)?
At least people are considering it!

SGT Rock
05-31-2005, 16:32
I was planning on going to the Hammock thing on the 10th, but work has gotten in the way for me. I have to be in Mississippi on those dates.

SGT Rock
05-31-2005, 16:34
I'm game. I'll look at my work schedule and see if we have any time in September marked as available, the Labor Day possibility is always around. What is the idea - should this be a backwoods hike into it thing or a place where someone can drive to and hang out?

MedicineMan
05-31-2005, 22:35
Good question Rock....
Here are my thoughts....a combo of what you said.
Example if HotSprings is chosen then we should get a place in the campground to serve as home base.
I've done the AT in that area several times so I (or anyone else) could offer shuttles on Saturday and Sunday. So people could slack from Max Patch into Hotsprings or from North into Hotsprings depending on which section they may need or want to hike.
Shuttles could also be arranged for those who meet for dinner Friday night and want to do an overnighter on Sat.-Sun.
Some may want to hike just one day, and if the majority of those who show for Friday night dinner that want to just day hike then we can vote for hiking on SAt. and trail maint. on Sunday.
If we decide on Hotsprings (just as an example) we can vote on everyone getting together to grill out/pot luck/frogmore stew or to meet at the pub in town for dinner/refreshments.
I dont want to sound like a ring leader here, not only because this is almost an official WB function and that is in your (Sgt Rock's) and Attrol's arena...just trying to get the ball rolling, but also because working every other week gives me only a 50/50 chance of participating.

Regardless, look at a new post/poll for a voting of when.

MedicineMan
05-31-2005, 22:42
I'm throwing out dates for a Southern Moot.
Attroll is having a Northern Moot around the time the thru's finish up in Maine...maybe we can have a Moot around December for the Southbound finishers but why wait that long.
There has been good feedback on a Moot this fall so I'm throwing out dates for people to vote on.
After we have decided on a date we will then vote on a place, after that we will get down on the activities.
I've already gotten some PM's on hammocking so I'm hoping Rock's schedule will allow his presence and hopefully HamockHangers too.
During dinner (if for example Hotsprings is chosen and we can all meet at the pub) why not have a slide show-several of peoples AT albums, just a thought on that.
Share your thoughts.

Heater
05-31-2005, 22:51
Attroll is having a Northern Moot around the time the thru's finish up in Maine...maybe we can have a Moot around December for the Southbound finishers but why wait that long.
There has been good feedback on a Moot this fall so I'm throwing out dates for people to vote on.
After we have decided on a date we will then vote on a place, after that we will get down on the activities.
I've already gotten some PM's on hammocking so I'm hoping Rock's schedule will allow his presence and hopefully HamockHangers too.
During dinner (if for example Hotsprings is chosen and we can all meet at the pub) why not have a slide show-several of peoples AT albums, just a thought on that.
Share your thoughts.
That Halloween weekend would be pretty cool for a party.

Just an innocent bystander's POV... :D

neo
05-31-2005, 23:51
That Halloween weekend would be pretty cool for a party.

Just an innocent bystander's POV... :D
yeah,halloween weekend will work for me:cool: neo

neo
05-31-2005, 23:52
yeah,halloween weekend will work for me:cool: neo
i just cast the first vote:cool: neo

MedicineMan
06-01-2005, 02:46
are you saying Oct. 28-30?
how bout you Rock? good for you? HammockHanger can you come up from Florida?
Everyone needs to cast a vote.
Halloween is good for me.
If we get at least 10 people committed to this weekend then we'll proceed to the next step, confirming a place.....but to start thinking about them:
tri-cities
hotsprings
hiawassee
any others?

Something tells me this is gonna be cool, i might even bring the bagpipes.....

Lone Wolf
06-01-2005, 06:34
Halloween. But I ain't dressing up.

Jaybird
06-01-2005, 07:50
Attroll is having a Northern Moot around the time the thru's finish up in Maine...maybe we can have a Moot around December for the Southbound finishers but why wait that long..............etc.,etc.,etc.,................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................During dinner (if for example Hotsprings is chosen and we can all meet at the pub) why not have a slide show-several of peoples AT albums, just a thought on that.Share your thoughts.

Hey M.M.

GREAT idea!
i voted for the end of OCT...it just sounds right.

AND, who needs costumes for Halloween...with this WB bunch???
hehehehehehehehehehe :D

MOWGLI
06-01-2005, 08:17

Whatdya mean? You can go as one of the Hall Brothers. Jester can play the other one. :D

http://cityguide.pojonews.com/fe/Heritage/stories/he_smith_brothers.asp

Newb
06-01-2005, 08:34
Where will this happen? I'd love to attend.

MileMonster
06-01-2005, 09:25
I'd be interested. I wouldn't know for sure until the dates got closer.

SGT Rock
06-01-2005, 10:07
I like the idea of a Halloween hike except that is time I usually like to spend walking the street with my children and I doubt we would want to change that for a hike. There may be other WhiteBlaze parental types that have the same dilemma. I'll have to figure out how to reconcile the two if we are going to set it for that date.

Rain Man
06-01-2005, 10:53
Example if Hot Springs is chosen ...
Shuttles could also be arranged ...
...frogmore stew ...
I dont want to sound like a ring leader here...

Trust me, a ring leader is a GOOD and NECESSARY thing. And all your suggestions sound like great ones to me! So, I vote "lead away" if Rick & Rock agree.

SGT Rock
06-01-2005, 11:22
I like the idea of Hot Springs. It is only about 1.5 hours drive from my house. I can offer shuttles and I might even be able to convince my wife to come.

attroll
06-01-2005, 12:37
I like the idea of Hot Springs. It is only about 1.5 hours drive from my house. I can offer shuttles and I might even be able to convince my wife to come.
Hey Rock will you shuttle me from Maine.

Footslogger
06-01-2005, 12:39
...yeah, and could you swing by Wyoming on your way down from Maine ??

'Slogger

Heater
06-01-2005, 13:07
are you saying Oct. 28-30?
how bout you Rock? good for you? HammockHanger can you come up from Florida?
Everyone needs to cast a vote.
Halloween is good for me.
If we get at least 10 people committed to this weekend then we'll proceed to the next step, confirming a place.....but to start thinking about them:
tri-cities
hotsprings
hiawassee
any others?

Something tells me this is gonna be cool, i might even bring the bagpipes.....
The reason I didn't vote in the poll is I am new on this board and haven't stepped foot on the AT yet. I figured I'd leave the voting to people that would be attending.

I just tought the Halloween weekend would be very cool. I can just picture all of you hiking up the trail in costume. That would be a sight.

Hopefully I'll do my hike in '06 and have some experiences to share for this sort of thing. Y'all have fun!

:jump

SGT Rock
06-01-2005, 13:17
LOL, I don't think so. :D

SGT Rock
06-01-2005, 13:23
Austex - come on and vote anyway. The novice with 0 trail miles but a desire is just as worthy around here as the Thru-Hiker with 7 thru-hikes.

Bolivershagnasty
06-01-2005, 14:31
Hollow weekend sounds great but could you make it alittle more south maybe NC VA area? Catch some SOBO's and see some smokey folige. the leave change there about then. Will be just past peak but still should be good.

Bolivershagnasty
06-01-2005, 14:42
Whatever whenever I'm in, just need to post it so we know when to put in for vaca and get the x to watch the kid. Are kids welcome at "moots".

Heater
06-01-2005, 17:45
Austex - come on and vote anyway. The novice with 0 trail miles but a desire is just as worthy around here as the Thru-Hiker with 7 thru-hikes.
Well, thanks Sarge! :)

The reason I am not voting is because I think that might skew the poll in favor of a date that those attending might not want. Then, the poll would not truly represent the wishes of the folks that can actually make it to the event.
BTW, Halloween is on Monday so you could still do both! :dance

SGT Rock
06-01-2005, 18:08
Well, thanks Sarge! :)

The reason I am not voting is because I think that might skew the poll in favor of a date that those attending might not want. Then, the poll would not truly represent the wishes of the folks that can actually make it to the event.
BTW, Halloween is on Monday so you could still do both! :dance
Yep, I checked a calender and then verified how they do things around here with Houshold 6. See, on military posts they will often dictate time, place, and location for authorized Trick O' Treat in cases like this to Saturday 1700-1900 so that it maximizes soldier participation around training schedules. I am so programed I asked my wife to confirm how they do Trick O' Treat here in Maryville and she looked at me like I was nuts.

Anyway, the only way I see it you could skew the poll is if you don't plan to come but vote anyway. The idea is to find out who is planning to come and what works for them. If any of the above are good, well then I wouldn't vote either. I just voted for Halloween weekend, but the deployment schedule has not been developed that far out, so there is a chance that I may not be able to make it if we are training NG units.

MedicineMan
06-01-2005, 21:59
I say we let the poll go for a month with occasional boots to the top of the pile so its not forgotten. After a month,,,,,and its looking strongly like the weekend of Oct 29-30.....then we will do a poll for the place.
Austex....its people like you we hope will come. There is nothing (well maybe) I know that Sgt.Rock or Baltimore Jack doesnt know about hiking,hammocking, etc...so newbies could learn as much as they want to...but for me it will just be good eating dinner with fellow hikers who happen to meet around the internet, it would be gravy to do a hike with them as well!
Also when after the date is firmed up we can discuss inviting other hiking organizations.....

Big Guy
06-01-2005, 22:09
Sounds like a good ideda. Need some advance warning to try and schedule. I like the idea of this being an opportunity of the more experienced to pass on their knowledge. Please keep updates on the site for the moot.

neo
06-01-2005, 22:56
count me and my hiking princess in for oct 29-30:cool: neo

Rain Man
06-01-2005, 23:15
The BEST weekend is the one AFTER Halloween :)

Lugnut
06-02-2005, 00:22

Lucky you. Some people stay in costume all year! :rolleyes:

Lugnut
06-02-2005, 00:36
Count me in. It would be nice to have our own Whiteblaze thing; sort of our own ruck or gathering or whatever. Hot Springs would be good with me since I have relatives in Asheville and could combine trips. I would be willing to do shuttles for those wanting to hike some or whatever it takes to make the whole thing work. Any date is fine with me since I mostly just muddle through life anyway.

Lugnut
06-02-2005, 00:48
It may be difficult to sustain events on a quarterly basis. I think you have a good idea, and I especially like calling it a moot:banana. A yearly or semi-annual event might be better to keep enthusiasm high.

You may be right Alligator. Not sure I'd want to see some of these people four times a year. Once or twice would be great! :D

P.S. They may feel the same about us. :eek:

Hammock Hanger
06-02-2005, 06:56
I'd be interested depending on the date. I have a kayak trip planned the second week in October. Five wonderful days in the Okeefeeokee Swamp.

BTW what the heck does MOOT stand for?? Sue/HH

MedicineMan
06-02-2005, 07:19
Moot= 'tis a gathering' in Tolkien

why 3 or 4 Moots/year? because everyone is busy doing all of life's requirements, so at best they may be able to make one Moot and in a good year maybe one Moot and a TD or one Moot and a ruck or gathering....

everybody needs to start throwing up 'where' ideas......what about the city under GSMNP? is it Cherokee? with access to the BMT? just thinking out loud, still like hotsprings

Alligator
06-02-2005, 08:05
You may be right Alligator. Not sure I'd want to see some of these people four times a year. Once or twice would be great! :D

P.S. They may feel the same about us. :eek:
I suspect that there are a couple of folks who would just like to see me once and that would be it;).

Not trying to dampen your excellent idea Medicine Man. I think we both see that the chances of folks making it to more than one Moot are low, we just differ on how to address that. Since you are coordinating planning, I'll leave the call up to you.

I will try to make any location north of GA. I like Hot Springs as I forgot to walk the mile or so in town. Several of those towns below GSMNP are dry:(...

Hammock Hanger
06-02-2005, 09:32
Moot= 'tis a gathering' in Tolkien
Oh... my husband would be so disappointed in me for not knowing that! My daughter and hubby are Hobbit/Lord of the Ring nuts, but somehow I still beat both of them in Lord of the Rings Trivia!!:p

Thanks for the answer.

I think various moots are a good idea. You'll get different hikers to each one and some diehards at all.

Sue/HH

Rain Man
06-02-2005, 09:34
Why THREE threads on same subject at same time?

Do we really need three threads open at the same time about a WhiteBlaze South Moot? Can we close two of these threads and get a little order in the courtroom?

Rain Man
06-02-2005, 09:35

Do we really need three threads open at the same time about a WhiteBlaze South Moot? Can we close two of these threads and get a little order in the courtroom?

Rain Man
06-02-2005, 09:36

SGT Rock
06-02-2005, 09:41
Dang Lawyers, sometimes you make sense. How about if I combine the three?

Bolivershagnasty
06-02-2005, 16:15
Yea it's alittle confusing trying to keep up. You guys keep in mind that it's very touristy up there that time of year. Midle of Oct you wont find room to pitch a solo tent on the sidwalk. Most of the people will be older and will think were weirdo hippie's, well have the cops after us every time we turn around. That Halloween weekend is probly best because the tourist will be out of there by then. Probly need to keep it somewhere around a hiker town so we don't scare the locals, plus maybe pick up some kind of "sponser" discounts for next moot. I'm sure they would love to get us to come there and come back to pick up a few more economy bucks for the area.

Heater
06-02-2005, 20:02

Well... the Hobbit WAS a trilogy...
It only seems right!

:sun

MedicineMan
06-22-2005, 00:15
Just bumping the thread to get more votes counted though the Halloween weekend is clearly in the lead.
What say voting goes on for 2 more weeks then we start voting on a place.

generoll
06-22-2005, 07:43
i think that later is better as the weather will be cooling down and it's more pleasant to be out of doors in the fall. i am considering spending some time in October doing trail work with the Cumberland Trail people which i might be able to fold into a weekend for a WB 'moot'. i kinda have to parcel out my pleasures, my system can't stand too much joy at once, not to mention my work schedule.

generoll
06-22-2005, 07:50
here's a suggestion for a location. Bobs Bald. it's right off the Cherahola Skyway which runs between Tellico Plains, TN and Robbinsville, NC. you are within a mile or so of the BMT and there is plenty of space on the bald for tents. even a few trees around the perimeter for you caterpillars that like to hang from trees. it's about a 4 mile hike in, so any significant quantity of beer might be problematic. there is a shorter route however, depending on your legs. once we settle on a date i can know more. last time i went there was in the middle of coon dog season and the campsite was invaded by hungry coon dogs so the date is important. the main attraction is that there's plenty of room for tents.

Rockjock
06-22-2005, 08:47
Seems only right to have the 1st WB Southern moot on Halloween weekend. A place hmmmm love the roan highlands, was on Shuckstack abou that time last year and the fall colors were great all around so I don't think we can miss.:jump

Ewker
06-22-2005, 09:12
Halloween weekend sounds good except my daughter is expecting her first baby (my first grandchild, damn I am getting old) in that general time frame. You know babies they come out when they are ready.

Rain Man
06-22-2005, 10:16
... it's about a 4 mile hike in, so any significant quantity of beer might be problematic. ...

GOOD. I'm not sure I can make it anyway until a date is chosen, but in any event, I'm not interested in some drunken "party," nor some decent gathering ruined by drunks. If that's to be the plan, count me out, no matter the date.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I just don't find offensive drunks to be fun and drunks are exactly the ones who don't know they're not fun.

But like I said. I may not be able to make it anyway.

Rain Man

neo
06-22-2005, 10:43
GOOD. I'm not sure I can make it anyway until a date is chosen, but in any event, I'm not interested in some drunken "party," nor some decent gathering ruined by drunks. If that's to be the plan, count me out, no matter the date.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I just don't find offensive drunks to be fun and drunks are exactly the ones who don't know they're not fun.

Rain Man

yeah,i agree rainman,hiking gatherings should be about hiking not getting drunk and acting a fool:cool: neo

neo
06-22-2005, 10:46
Halloween weekend sounds good except my daughter is expecting her first baby (my first grandchild, damn I am getting old) in that general time frame. You know babies they come out when they are ready.
congrats ewker,on soon becoming a grandparent:cool: neo

Alligator
06-22-2005, 10:46

Rain Man

. GOOD. I'm not sure I can make it anyway either until a date is chosen, but in any event, I'm not interested in some uptight, control freak "tea party," nor some decent gathering ruined by uptight, control freaks. If that's to be the plan, count me out, no matter the date.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I just don't find uptight, control freaks to be fun and uptight, control freaks are exactly the ones who don't know they're not fun.

BonzNRio
06-22-2005, 11:53
Yea what Nean said,'sounds like a good excuse to have a good time'.I'm interested.

SGT Rock
06-22-2005, 12:32
Another good place is Slickrock creek on the BMT. You can park about 15 cars at the trail head and walk in about 2.5 miles to the camp where there are lots of spots by a nice creek in a half mile section. About 1/2 mile from the trail head is Tapococo and about 2 miles in the other direction is the Dragon's Inn at Deals Gap.

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 12:40
Another good place is Slickrock creek on the BMT. You can park about 15 cars at the trail head and walk in about 2.5 miles to the camp where there are lots of spots by a nice creek in a half mile section. About 1/2 mile from the trail head is Tapococo and about 2 miles in the other direction is the Dragon's Inn at Deals Gap.

Regarding Slickrock Creek, that's one of the prettiest places I know. But, I can't think of anywhere that everyone could assemble that would not have a MAJOR impact on the area. The area strikes me as pretty fragile. Do you know of anywhere where 20-25 people could hang out and not trample the place to hell? If you do, I'd agree that this would make a great meeting place. It would also probably require a permit from the USFS.

SGT Rock
06-22-2005, 12:49
http://www.bmta.org/construction/cmap13.htm

Right after the eastern flag on this map is a series of campsites that are well established. On my last maintenance trip there were about 30 boy scouts and and adults (total number) camped along this section. There was plenty of room for tents, hammocks and tarps. I was worried when I saw them there concerning the impact of trash and such, but the day they packed out I was pleased at how well they policed up after themselves. The parking on the far side of the bridge and the parking just after the bridge on the near side could easily accommodate many cars. But you are right about needing to get with the USFS. I plan to go back down there this weekend with some saws and trash bags to clear some dead-fall on the trail in and clean up any trash hikers may have left in the area. If we did do a Moot there I would recommend bringing a shovel and making a "to standard" straddle trench to avoid impacting the site with dozens of cat holes.

generoll
06-22-2005, 18:29
i've camped in that area several times Rock and it's a great place. close to the pool at lower falls and right on the creek. i had also considered the campsite at Big Fat Gap, but that gets pretty full on the weekends since it's such a short and easy hike.

are you planning to combine a bit of trail maintenance along with basic 'mooting' if there is such a word.

Bolivershagnasty
06-22-2005, 21:24
Well ive waited on this thread to come back for awhile. I'm not coming if it's a "dry" camp. If you can't have some fun then go to the PTA meeting. I don't like a drunkin party out of control but if you don't want any booz then count me out.

Sly
06-22-2005, 21:47
Yeah, I'm not into dry camps either.

I'll repeat, depending on how many are going to make the Moot, Big Creek campground is an awesome little site, easy to get to and fairly centrally located.

I realize it's only 12 sites, which hold 2 tents each ($12), but they also have a group site ($40) I could do a recon and check it out if there's any interest.

Right near Mountain Momma's for breakfast and burgers.... ;)

Scrunchy
06-22-2005, 21:52
Big Creek would be a beautiful site! Not into dry camps either...

generoll
06-22-2005, 22:46
where is Big Creek? and i am sorry i even mentioned the word 'beer'. good grief!

Sly
06-22-2005, 23:09
where is Big Creek?

In a dry county, BYOB.

Near Davenport Gap. A couple miles from Exit 451 off I-40 on the TN/NC border.

SGT Rock
06-23-2005, 09:08
i've camped in that area several times Rock and it's a great place. close to the pool at lower falls and right on the creek. i had also considered the campsite at Big Fat Gap, but that gets pretty full on the weekends since it's such a short and easy hike.

are you planning to combine a bit of trail maintenance along with basic 'mooting' if there is such a word.
Well, every time I get into the section I do some maintenance. I don't plan to press a bunch of WhiteBlazers into service, but if folks are interested in doing some work I might be able to find something to do. I personally need to get a chainsaw certification so I can get in and use one when necessary - right now I have a big tree on the trail on the side of a hill, and the tree fell in such a way that the root system blocks the whole trail. So I need to get in and cut up the tree and then use a Pulaski to reduce the root system so that I can get it out of the way. Right now folks have to drop off the trail to get around it and it can be a tricky one to get around safely.

As to the dry camp issue: I'm not sure what the exact "Official Policy" is of the Forrest Service. I can't officially say it is a BYOB to anything we do in the back country, but I also don't plan on enforcing rules about muscle relaxants.

minnesotasmith
06-23-2005, 09:41
Late as possible (mid-Oct+) so it's COOL and lower on bugs. IMO, November would be ideal.

jlb2012
06-23-2005, 09:45
Well, every time I get into the section I do some maintenance. I don't plan to press a bunch of WhiteBlazers into service, but if folks are interested in doing some work I might be able to find something to do. I personally need to get a chainsaw certification so I can get in and use one when necessary - right now I have a big tree on the trail on the side of a hill, and the tree fell in such a way that the root system blocks the whole trail. So I need to get in and cut up the tree and then use a Pulaski to reduce the root system so that I can get it out of the way. Right now folks have to drop off the trail to get around it and it can be a tricky one to get around safely.

Would you like some help with that blowdown? While I don't have a chainsaw certification I do hold a crosscut saw certification and have cleared some fairly large blowdowns with crosscut saw and a come-along.

generoll
06-23-2005, 09:59
crosscut saw certification? i thought all a two man crosscut needed was a strong back and an ability to zone out while listening to the music of the saw.

jlb2012
06-23-2005, 10:14
yeah it annoyed me too when the FS and NPS started requiring a certification for use of a crosscut saw in their respective areas 2 or 3 years ago

Bolo
06-24-2005, 11:27
[QUOTE=generoll.....and i am sorry i even mentioned the word 'beer'. good grief![/QUOTE]

Would all beer-drinking hikers attending the Southern Moot please immediately remove themselves from the "Hiker Weight Loss Challenge."

:jump Bolo

MOWGLI
06-24-2005, 11:49
.....and i am sorry i even mentioned the word 'beer'. good grief!

Would all beer-drinking hikers attending the Southern Moot please immediately remove themselves from the "Hiker Weight Loss Challenge."

:jump Bolo[/QUOTE]

I was kinda hoping Alligator would stick around for both events. :D

Streamweaver
06-24-2005, 11:54
Ive Aug and sept free and clear and Im planning to hit the trail at Harpers Ferry and heading North or south so this moot sounds good to me!! Streamweaver

Streamweaver
06-30-2005, 11:15
Ive Aug and sept free and clear and Im planning to hit the trail at Harpers Ferry and heading North or south so this moot sounds good to me!! Streamweaver

Looks like yall are gonna be a bit to far south and late in the year for me!! We need one in the Mid Atlantic in Sept. Streamweaver

Alligator
07-06-2005, 09:49
[QUOTE=generoll.....and i am sorry i even mentioned the word 'beer'. good grief!

:jump Bolo[/QUOTE]
No way!:banana

Rain Man
07-06-2005, 12:09
and i am sorry i even mentioned the word 'beer'. good grief!

Well, truth be known, Generoll, you didn't mention just "beer." Rather you said "SIGNIFICANT quantity of beer might be problematic." (emphasis added)

Nor did I mention just "beer." I said "OFFENSIVE drunks." (emphasis added)

There's little wrong with a beer, IMHO. And I didn't complain about the idea of beer. There is something wrong with drunks. And I did complain if the Moot is to be a drunken party.

To me, if SIGNIFICANT quantities of beer are a prerequisite for a good Moot site, that is an idication of potential problems I'd just as soon steer clear of.

That is NOT being a "control freak." Indeed, it's just the opposite.

I'm glad you brought this topic up, as it is important as to what kind of Moot is going to be held (and whether hostels are closed down, whether hikers are welcome in small towns, and so forth). Drunks give the rest of us hikers a bad name. Can't count the number of problems I've read about on WhiteBlaze and elsewhere that revolved around alcohol-abusing drunks. Not mere "beer-drinking hikers" (those are okay), but drunk hikers. Some don't know the difference, and usually it's the drunks.

I'm simply willing to stand up and be counted on the right side of this issue.

Sly
07-06-2005, 12:28
There's also a group site I can look into. Lifted off the net...

Big Creek (http://away.com/tripideas/great-smoky-mountain-national-park-camping-300952.html)

Big Creek Campground: Cove Creek, NC

Top 10 Carolinas Tent Camping

By Johnny Molloy

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has a reputation, somewhat undeserved, of being overcrowded. Sure, some places can seem a bit peopled, but if you know the right places to go, your limited time in the park can be a relaxing getaway. Big Creek Campground is one of those places. It is the Smokies' smallest campground and its sole tent-only campground. This walk-in campground is set deep in the woods adjacent to the pure mountain waters of Big Creek-so deep, in fact, that when you come to the campground parking area you'll wonder where the campground is. For your information, it's between the campground parking area and noisy Big Creek.

A small footpath leaves the parking area and loops the 12 campsites in the shade of tall hardwoods. Since it's a walk-in campground, you must tote your camping supplies anywhere from 100 to 300 feet. But after that, you'll be hearing only the intonations of Big Creek and smelling the wildflowers, rather than hearing an RV engine and smelling exhaust fumes.

Five of the sites are directly creekside. Each site is spacious enough to spread your gear about. The new tent pads are elevated and well drained. A somewhat sparse understory reduces privacy, but the intimate walk-in setup magnifies an atmosphere of camaraderie among fellow campers not necessarily found in larger drive-in campgrounds.

The campground comfort station borders the parking area. It houses flush toilets and a large sink with a cold-water faucet. Two other water spigots are situated along the footpath loop. A recycling bin is located in the parking area. A pay phone is located 1 mile back down the gravel road at the Big Creek Ranger Station. You can acquire limited supplies a bit farther down Big Creek at Mountain Momma's Country Store, but try to bring in what you need. That way you can spend your time enjoying the park.

The Big Creek Trail starts at the campground and traces an old railroad grade from the logging era. Cool off the old-fashioned way in one of the many swimming holes that pool between the white rapids of Big Creek. Gaze up the sides of the valley; the rock bluffs you see have sheltered Smokies' wayfarers for thousands of years. Hike 3.3 miles up Big Creek and find the tumbling cascades of Mouse Creek Falls. Falls often occur where a feeder creek enters a main stream. The main stream valley erodes faster than the side stream valley, creating a hanging side canyon and then a waterfall. Continue on to Walnut Bottoms at 5 miles. This area has historically had more man-bear encounters than anywhere in the park. Keep food out of tents, and keep all food locked in your trunk when away from camp, not in the seat of your car. Crestmont Logging Company once had a camp here in the early 1900s, but now the area has returned to its former splendor. Three other trails splinter from Walnut Bottoms if you wish to explore more.

How about a strenuous hike through old-growth forest to a mountaintop capped in a Canadian-type forest with a 360-degree view from a fire tower? It's 6 miles up the Baxter Creek Trail, but your efforts will be amply rewarded. Start at the Big Creek picnic area just below the campground and go for it. Or take the Mount Sterling Trail from Mount Sterling Gap on nearby NC 284. It's only 3 miles to the tower this way. Just up from the Big Creek Ranger Station is the Chestnut Branch Trail. It leads 2 miles to the highest and wildest section of the entire Appalachian Trail, which traverses the Smoky Mountains. The historic fire tower at Mount Cammerer is only 4 miles farther. Or loop back on the Appalachian Trail to Davenport Gap and road-walk a short piece back to the campground.

Big Creek is wilderness tent camping at its best. The walk-in setting is your first step into the natural world of the Smokies. The rest of your adventure is limited only by your desire to explore the 500,000 acres in Big Creek Campground's backyard.

Key Information

Address: Big Creek Campground, 107 Park Headquarters Road, Gatlinburg, TN 37738; (865) 436-1200; http://www.nps.gov/grsm

Open: Mid-March to October

Sites: 12

Assignment: First come, first served; no reservations

Fee: $12 per night

Elevation: 1,700 feet

Restrictions:

Pets: On leash only

Fires: In fire pits only

Alcohol: At campsite only

Vehicles: 30-foot trailer length limit

Other: No RVs or trailers

Getting There

From Cove Creek take I-40 west for 15 miles, crossing the Tennessee state line, to the Waterville Exit 451. Cross the Pigeon River and turn left to follow the Pigeon upstream. Come to an intersection 2.3 miles after crossing the Pigeon. Proceed forward through the intersection and soon enter the park. Pass the Big Creek Ranger Station and drive to the end of the gravel road and the campground after 3.5 miles.Big Creek (http://away.com/tripideas/great-smoky-mountain-national-park-camping-300952.html)

MOWGLI
07-06-2005, 12:30
Somebody needs to make a management decision. How about it Sarge? Pick a place and a date - please.

Alligator
07-06-2005, 13:11
That is NOT being a "control freak." Indeed, it's just the opposite.

I'm glad you brought this topic up, as it is important as to what kind of Moot is going to be held (and whether hostels are closed down, whether hikers are welcome in small towns, and so forth)... You left out "uptight".

Mowgli-Perhaps MedicineMan should post a poll for locations. It was his idea.