PDA

View Full Version : Gregory packs

jonbnelson
01-08-2013, 11:55
Hey guys...im looking to get a Gregory pack...would love to hear your thoughts on the z65 vs baltoro 65 vs the contour 60. Thoughts and recommendations?
Much appreciated!

Doc Mike
01-08-2013, 12:10
Great packs but heavier than they need to be.

RCBear
01-08-2013, 13:08
I have both a baltoro 65 and a Z30. Love them both. The Z is used for long dayhikes and an overnighter. Using the baltoro on a AT section hike this year. No resupply trip thru 100 MW. The Z series are significantly lighter but still seem to carry weight very well. They also seem to breath much better with that Airstream suspension. Both extremely comfortable. I almost wish I had gotten the Z65 instead of the baltoro but wanted something that could take really rough handling. Love both series of backpacks, however, definitely neither are ULers dream. :)

jonbnelson
01-08-2013, 13:53
Thanks!!! What about the contour?

Zmaidment
01-08-2013, 14:06
I have a grey z65 in great shape ill sell you

TNjed
01-08-2013, 14:09
Z65 is awesome. That's what I use in the winter. Good stuff.

yellowsirocco
01-08-2013, 14:59
I love my z65. The contour looks like a new model so there is probably not too many people with it yet.

I took a look at their website and I am not convinced that the contour's layered packing system would work well. It seems like the contour is kind of over-thought. All those 'features' look nice on paper, but it seems like they just threw every good idea they had on it, but didn't think about how it all works together.

konradchen
01-08-2013, 16:16
The baltoro is a tried and true favorite and great for hauling heavy loads. However, given today's technology, there are far lighter packs out there that can haul just as much weight. How much weight do you plan on carrying?

jonbnelson
01-08-2013, 17:34
Im looking to not go too much above 15# but im going to do a section hike from nj to maine and some overnight stuff at various places and want something that is comfortable and can handle heavy loads too...

jonbnelson
01-08-2013, 17:35
I have a grey z65 in great shape ill sell you

How much? I need a medium

AllTheWayToMordor
01-08-2013, 17:42
I used the Baltoro 70 (and older version of the 65) on my '11 Colorado Trail Thru. I really liked the pack but in hind sight it was way too big and heavy (just like everything else i took with me on that trip). I don't think you'll regret smaller and lighter. The Baltoro is like a Cadillac big, comfy and heavy.

tarantolk
01-08-2013, 19:24
My bf and I both have Gregory packs & we love them. The baltoro & deva. They are heavier but I find it much more comfortable and supportive, IMO, then most other packs & it's very important to me since I've had spinal back surgery.

jonbnelson
01-08-2013, 19:48
Thanks guys...ill go ahead and research some more

Tharwood
01-08-2013, 19:56
Look at Osprey Exos....

gonehikn
01-08-2013, 20:58
I have the Z65 which I use for winter weekends or long summer trips. I really like it. I sent it back to Gregory for a minor repair when it was 3 years old, and they sent me a brand new one.(great customer service) I find it most comfortable in the 35 pound or less range.

Gwilli
01-09-2013, 00:29
I also have a Z65, and I love it. Took it to hike the Mt Rainier Wonderland Trail. Held up great and carried a pretty heavy load. It is a little heavy but is a solid workhorse.

urbansix
01-09-2013, 00:55
I've been using the Z55 for a few years and love it too. Wish it had a better bottle pouch or holster, though. The newer models might - mie's an '09 I think. If you are not going over 15# a Z55 or smaller even should suit just fine. I usually carry 20-25 lbs and have plenty of room to spare.

Recently noticed that REI no longer has the Z55, but the REI Flash 62 appears to be a near-copy. It has a few features that the Z55 was missing (mesh side pouches), and is slighltly lighter to boot. The suspension system looks different though. I love the Gregory suspension and open back air flow. I have not tried the Flash but was looking at it.

stranger
01-09-2013, 06:35
I used Gregory packs for years, Wayne Gregory is a personal friend of mine and I used to product test for them, so I'm a big Gregory fan...however, any Gregory will be overbuilt and heavier than it needs to be in my view.

But saying that, nothing feels like a Gregory, and in general...you will not find better carrying packs anywhere in the world, but they are heavy and built for heavy loads.

In addition to Gregory, I would strongly recommend looking at ULA, Osprey and Granite Gear.

slims
01-12-2013, 12:10
I rocked a Z55 on my thru-hike and loved it. My gear was on the heavier side but the pack does a great job in handling the weight. Don't have experience with the Baltoro or Contour but the Z series are great packs. Yeah it'd be nice if they were a pound lighter but they can handle whatever gear you have and take a good bit of abuse too. I was never gentle with my pack and it's still going strong.

G-FOURce
01-12-2013, 18:36
We all like what we like, but for me nothing carries like a Gregory...nothing. I also carry a Gregory z55 and mine is an older version (2008, i believe) that weighs 3lbs 2oz on my scale. Yeah, it weighs a little more than other ultralight packs but it carries loads like a dream and it will last a lifetime.

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 18:49
We all like what we like, but for me nothing carries like a Gregory...nothing. I also carry a Gregory z55 and mine is an older version (2008, i believe) that weighs 3lbs 2oz on my scale. Yeah, it weighs a little more than other ultralight packs but it carries loads like a dream and it will last a lifetime.

I agree!
I have a women's Deva model, and it is super comfy and as you said, carries like a dream.

swjohnsey
01-12-2013, 21:02
Made in China.

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 21:24
Made in China.

So what?
If I'm comfortable on the trail, I don't care if it was made in China, or Timbuktu, or Kalamazoo, Michigan. My American shoulders and hips are happy.
Go through your pack and pull out everything that wasn't made in the USA, you might be surprised :)

swjohnsey
01-12-2013, 21:32
No I won't. Western Mountaineering bag, made in USA, ULA pack, made in USA, Thermarest pad, made in USA, Big Agnes Flycreek UL1 tent, made in China.

I care and eventually you will, too.

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 21:40
No I won't. Western Mountaineering bag, made in USA, ULA pack, made in USA, Thermarest pad, made in USA, Big Agnes Flycreek UL1 tent, made in China.

Do I get partial credit for a WM Ultralite bag made in the USA, and a Thermarest made in the USA, and a Hennessey Hammock made in the USA? :-?

swjohnsey
01-13-2013, 08:54
Certainly. And I'll take my ding for the BA tent.

stranger
01-14-2013, 05:48

Yeah...now read the tag on your shirt, pants, socks...etc

swjohnsey
01-14-2013, 08:52

Shirt, USA, pants, China, socks, USA, shoes, USA.

G-FOURce
01-14-2013, 08:55

and every television in your house, your cable box, your appliances, your cell phone...

for what it's worth, Gregory also has manufacturing facilities in the Phillipines and California (wasnt sure if the earlier post was bashing China or pro-US)

fins1838
01-14-2013, 09:01
Gregory Z65 is the best piece of backpacking equipment I've ever purchased!

stranger
01-15-2013, 04:51
Nationalism sucks in any context

aficion
01-15-2013, 06:32
Nationalism sucks in any context

Wrong. If your imagination, or understanding of history cannot conjure up examples af nationalism worth supporting..... well you may be not thinking or looking too hard.

stranger
01-15-2013, 08:48
Yeah the thread was about Gregory packs comrade, not your passion for Nationalism

fins1838
01-15-2013, 08:56
Always fascinates me the direction some of these threads go. Like "particuly nice weather" become "tickle your ass with a feather".:confused:

stranger
01-15-2013, 08:58
Only if that feather is made in China : )

aficion
01-15-2013, 09:13
Yeah the thread was about Gregory packs comrade, not your passion for Nationalism

Responded to your drift. No passion involved, believe me.

RCBear
01-15-2013, 10:01
many foreign products, including vehicles are now produced in stateside factories by American workers. Should I not consider them because of their origins? As a consumer, there are many factors that I consider when making a purchase, cost, quality, and suitability to my needs rank higher than origin of production. I own several Gregory packs and without a doubt have found they address those 3 important factors I mentioned, regardless of who put them together. If those conditions happen to lead me to an American made product, then all the better. To exclude products in my research that are not made here is a disservice to making the correct choice for me and that is unacceptable.

swjohnsey
01-15-2013, 10:12
ULA packs are just better than Gregroy.

RCBear
01-15-2013, 10:28
ULA packs are just better than Gregroy.

That is just about the silliest comment I think I have read on this forum, let alone thread. You know it and I know it. I've heard many stories of ULA failures as well. And don't talk to me about weight. My conditioning allows me to carry what I want/need and for the distance I want it to. whether I could go further faster with a lighter pack is irrelevant. The fact is that a ULA pack will not allow me to carry what I want to carry for the distance I want to go in the same comfort that my Gregory pack allows me. You are trying to stop an unnecessarily fire and simply makes you look ignorant sir. I have completed an R2R2R in under 24 hours with a Z30 and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with that pack.

RCBear
01-15-2013, 10:30
That should have read "stoke"

Drybones
01-15-2013, 10:45

Jonbnelson...what you'll get here is our personal opinions hopefully based on our person experience, some packs work great for some folks and not others. My first pack was a Gregory Zpack, 65 liter, weighs 3 lb-3oz, it did not work for me at all. The curve at the bottom hurt my back badly and the hip belt was not comfortable, but I believe this was due to me carrying more weight than the bag was designed to carry. I next bought a Dueter ACT lite 65. This was a comfortable pack but weighed just at 4 lbs and the stretch pocket on the back was too small to be really usefull. Next got the REI Flash 65, good pack, reasonably comfortable, decent organization but as I got lighter the bag became too large. I next bought an REI Flash 50 at a scatch and dent sale and really liked it but the torso was too small, would have stuck with this pack if it fit. This spring I bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 at the recommendation of friends. Of the packs I have experience with, nothing comes close in comparison to the Crown 60 for me, under 28 lbs I dont ever notice I have the pack on. It weighs 2 lbs-2oz and offers the best organization for the way I want to pack, the tent, footprint, rain gear go in the stretch pocket so I never have to open the bag to set up camp, when I get hot and take off my top and pant legs I put them under the two top staps along with my seat cushion for easy access. I have no experience with the ULA products but I'd look at those since a lot of distance hikers like them. There's no best for everyone, just got to find what works for you.

stranger
01-16-2013, 04:04
Gregory destroys ULA if you go head to head, all things considered, it's not even a fair fight. Do you have any idea how many 'firsts' Gregory packs have? However, for long distance hiking with light loads, ULA is a fine pack. Saying ULA is better than Gregory is like saying a rock climbing shoe is better than a trail runner, a naive statement. ULA packs have a specific purpose and they excel in that area.

Might as well say pizza is better than ice cream

stranger
01-16-2013, 04:16
And remember, not everyone has the same criteria for packs, so while ULA are excellent for some people, including me, some others may not appreciate the features I like about ULA. Then there is feel, no one can choose how a pack feels, it either feels good or it doesn't.

RCBear
01-16-2013, 07:04
Might as well say pizza is better than ice cream

actually stranger, pizza is better than ice cream. Except for a nice parfait...everyone loves a nice parfait! :)

StealthHikerBoy
01-16-2013, 08:30
I have a Gregory Z55 and a ULA Circuit. I agree that it is an apples-to-oranges comparison between them and that packs are a matter of personal taste. For me, I find myself taking the Gregory more often. If I am carrying 25 pounds or more, the Gregory is so much more comfortable that I feel I need it. If I am under 20 pounds, the extra weight doesn’t matter much to me. So the ULA is relegated to the space between.

When I finally thru-hike in a few years, I will probably take a Gregory with the "brain" removed. That shaves a little weight and lets me take a very comfortable pack.

The Circuit is a nice pack. For me, it only works well if I am traveling much lighter than others seem to be able to use it for.

The Old Chief
01-16-2013, 10:48
I also have the Gregory Z55 (M) and a ULA Circuit. Really like both packs, maybe the Circuit a little bit more. My only problem with the Circuit is the listed volume of the pack. It states it is 4200 ci. The volume of the Z55 is 3417 ci. I can't put everything that I pack in the Z55 in the Circuit so I don't know what's going on there! The Circuit's hipbelt pockets are vastly superior to the Z55s. Except for very small items the Z55 pockets are useless for me.

stranger
01-16-2013, 19:44
actually stranger, pizza is better than ice cream. Except for a nice parfait...everyone loves a nice parfait! :)

Ever have a good gelato?

RCBear
01-16-2013, 19:56
Ever have a good gelato?

actually stranger, I did have a nice looking at a small French cafe recently. I'm not a big fan but this was actually very good. so good actually I'm going to try to figure out how to pack it for my next section like!

G-FOURce
01-16-2013, 21:54
Ever have a good gelato?

There is a great little gelato shop in Beaver Creek, CO near the ice rink in the village. Amusingly, it is on the opposite side of the rink from.... wait for it... Blue Moose PIZZA! Its hard to beat a weekend at the Beav enjoying margaritas at The Dusty Boot and pizza at the Moose!

stranger
01-16-2013, 23:52
Whiteblaze cracks me up...****ing Gelato, I'm such a tool

Ahem...Gregory makes great packs, so does ULA, pizza is good, so is ice cream, parfaits and gelato.

stranger
01-16-2013, 23:58
Jonbnelson...what you'll get here is our personal opinions hopefully based on our person experience, some packs work great for some folks and not others. My first pack was a Gregory Zpack, 65 liter, weighs 3 lb-3oz, it did not work for me at all. The curve at the bottom hurt my back badly and the hip belt was not comfortable, but I believe this was due to me carrying more weight than the bag was designed to carry. I next bought a Dueter ACT lite 65. This was a comfortable pack but weighed just at 4 lbs and the stretch pocket on the back was too small to be really usefull. Next got the REI Flash 65, good pack, reasonably comfortable, decent organization but as I got lighter the bag became too large. I next bought an REI Flash 50 at a scatch and dent sale and really liked it but the torso was too small, would have stuck with this pack if it fit. This spring I bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 at the recommendation of friends. Of the packs I have experience with, nothing comes close in comparison to the Crown 60 for me, under 28 lbs I dont ever notice I have the pack on. It weighs 2 lbs-2oz and offers the best organization for the way I want to pack, the tent, footprint, rain gear go in the stretch pocket so I never have to open the bag to set up camp, when I get hot and take off my top and pant legs I put them under the two top staps along with my seat cushion for easy access. I have no experience with the ULA products but I'd look at those since a lot of distance hikers like them. There's no best for everyone, just got to find what works for you.

The reason I don't own a crown 60 is that it didn't exist in 2009, great little pack.

Love GG stuff, I might add that the Crown has no real suspension however, just a light frame sheet, where as the Circuit has rigid carbon fiber struts down the side, so the pack will carry substantially better, however everything else about the Crown is superior to the Circuit IMO.

ULA could learn a lot from Gregory, GG and Osprey about how to cut a shoulder strap and hip belt, especially for women.