PDA

View Full Version : what constitutes fording?

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 12:27
i have been watching some videos from the AT...i have noticed some people going thru swift rivers over waist deep...uhhh...that is almost swimming in my book...and not an option with a 30lb pack on my back...so i would probably have to hike to a better crossing place...i know a compass & map are very important...i was wondering if anyone has gotten lost this way...

swjohnsey
01-08-2013, 12:31
I didn't encounter any water that was much over knee deep.

Starchild
01-08-2013, 12:37
I would say and type of walking though water no matter how deep or shallow. If you swim you are not fording, likewise if you rock hop you are not fording, unless you need to take a purposeful submerged step.

Though that's just my thoughts on it.

I recall 4 memorable 'fords' on the AT, 3 in the 100 mile wilderness including rapids crossing and water up to mid thigh, and one in VA that was due to a washed out bridge. I think at the time you decide what to do based on how you feel, conditions and crossings opportunities, It is not uncommon to go up/down stream looking for a crossing.
Peace

Slo-go'en
01-08-2013, 13:06
The deep fords you see are in the 100 mile wilderness of Maine. Typically in fall when most hikers go threw there they aren't that deep. It's in the spring with the snow melt and spring rains when they get waist deep, but can on occasion get that deep in the fall if there has been a real rainy spell or tropical storm pass by.

Avoiding the fords is possible, but requires a very long detour to find a bridge across the stream. Your probably not going to find a better place to cross then where the trail goes near enough to make it worth the effort.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2013, 13:08
i've forded the kennebec a buncha times waist deep with a 40 lb. pack

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 13:24
I would say and type of walking though water no matter how deep or shallow. If you swim you are not fording, likewise if you rock hop you are not fording, unless you need to take a purposeful submerged step.

Though that's just my thoughts on it.

I recall 4 memorable 'fords' on the AT, 3 in the 100 mile wilderness including rapids crossing and water up to mid thigh, and one in VA that was due to a washed out bridge. I think at the time you decide what to do based on how you feel, conditions and crossings opportunities, It is not uncommon to go up/down stream looking for a crossing.
Peace

thanks SC...the 100 mile wilderness is where we will be...and i probably will look for a better crossing if the water is over mid thigh... :o

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 13:28
The deep fords you see are in the 100 mile wilderness of Maine. Typically in fall when most hikers go threw there they aren't that deep. It's in the spring with the snow melt and spring rains when they get waist deep, but can on occasion get that deep in the fall if there has been a real rainy spell or tropical storm pass by.

Avoiding the fords is possible, but requires a very long detour to find a bridge across the stream. Your probably not going to find a better place to cross then where the trail goes near enough to make it worth the effort.

we will be there (in the 100 mile wilderness) aug/sept....so i am going to hope for drier weather....but should we have to go off course... i don't wanna be lost :P

R1ma
01-08-2013, 13:31
I've had to ford some pretty deep stuff in California from snow melt. Like waist deep. And across "rivers" that don't actually exist, so no map to help - the water was only there because of a really deep snow pack.

Sometimes, you've just got to suck it up buttercup :D But be safe.

coach lou
01-08-2013, 13:33
i have been watching some videos from the AT...i have noticed some people going thru swift rivers over waist deep...uhhh...that is almost swimming in my book...and not an option with a 30lb pack on my back...so i would probably have to hike to a better crossing place...i know a compass & map are very important...i was wondering if anyone has gotten lost this way...
Getting wet............

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 13:34
i've forded the kennebec a buncha times waist deep with a 40 lb. pack

hi mr grumpy pants ;) i believe you could do it with a 80lb pack!! :) i am 5'5" and 118 lbs...i just don't want to float my way thru the trip...plus...if i was floatin down the river...i would be going the wrong direction and i wouldn't be able to summit katahdin :/

Lone Wolf
01-08-2013, 13:51
hi mr grumpy pants ;) i believe you could do it with a 80lb pack!! :) i am 5'5" and 118 lbs...i just don't want to float my way thru the trip...plus...if i was floatin down the river...i would be going the wrong direction and i wouldn't be able to summit katahdin :/
i ain't grumpy, i'm charming as hell

Slo-go'en
01-08-2013, 13:53
we will be there (in the 100 mile wilderness) aug/sept....so i am going to hope for drier weather....but should we have to go off course... i don't wanna be lost :P

Well then, you better bring a good map and/or GPS. Really, it shouldn't be all that bad but read up on how to cross streams safely. The trail crosses the streams where it does for a reason. If there was a better place to cross, the trail would have gone there.

Oh, just to make you feel better, here's a shot of a friend of mine doing one of the fords in the fall of '08. She is also maybe 5'5".

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 14:49

mr grumpy "G" pants.... the "G" stands grace ... :)

tnvarmint
01-08-2013, 14:50
I am slightly confused. What is the problem with crossing in mid thigh or even waist deep water? I am an avid fly / trout fisherman and routinely fish in water that deep. Watch your footing and use your poles and you should be fine.

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 14:52
Well then, you better bring a good map and/or GPS. Really, it shouldn't be all that bad but read up on how to cross streams safely. The trail crosses the streams where it does for a reason. If there was a better place to cross, the trail would have gone there.

Oh, just to make you feel better, here's a shot of a friend of mine doing one of the fords in the fall of '08. She is also maybe 5'5".

LOVE the pic Slo-G!! this may sound silly, but do most of them have the "helper rope"? now i can assume that the water in aug/sept is around comfy 70 degrees, right? ;)

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 14:56
I am slightly confused. What is the problem with crossing in mid thigh or even waist deep water? I am an avid fly / trout fisherman and routinely fish in water that deep. Watch your footing and use your poles and you should be fine.

i don't routinely fish is a swift river...and certainly not with a 30 lb pack...so i am a bit concerned for a few reasons...MAINLY...i don't want to die by drowning...being dead, would suck!! and secondly, i don't want to be floating down the river with ALL my stuff wet...thirdly i don't want to get hurt...just to name a few :) BUT i will DEF be using poles!!!!

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 14:58
Getting wet............

ding ding ding!! we have a winner :D

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 15:17
I've had to ford some pretty deep stuff in California from snow melt. Like waist deep. And across "rivers" that don't actually exist, so no map to help - the water was only there because of a really deep snow pack.

Sometimes, you've just got to suck it up buttercup :D But be safe.

i think i may go tipi walter style and pack a raft ... a 6lb raft...and an oar ... :)

Feral Bill
01-08-2013, 15:18
Pithy, too

Slo-go'en
01-08-2013, 15:27
LOVE the pic Slo-G!! this may sound silly, but do most of them have the "helper rope"? now i can assume that the water in aug/sept is around comfy 70 degrees, right? ;)

Not all of them have a rope, but I think the one show in the picture is still there. The couple of times I've gone across there was no rope, but the water wasn't that deep either. 70 degree water in Maine? Dream on...

RCBear
01-08-2013, 16:01
I think someone called you a buttercup babe! I guess I'm going to have to find a new nickname for you. :-)

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 16:27
I think someone called you a buttercup babe! I guess I'm going to have to find a new nickname for you. :-)

babe...it is better than cupobutter :p

moldy
01-08-2013, 16:48
If it scares the crap out of you it's fording.

gizzy bear
01-08-2013, 17:03
If it scares the crap out of you it's fording.

:bananaquote for truth!!! slippery rocks + swift moving water = scary :(

Migrating Bird
01-08-2013, 17:51

FYI, It appears that the Lady in the picture is crossing with her hip belt and sternum strap buckled, both should be unbuckled in order to shed your pack if you fall in.

Starchild
01-08-2013, 18:18
FYI, It appears that the Lady in the picture is crossing with her hip belt and sternum strap buckled, both should be unbuckled in order to shed your pack if you fall in.

While I can understand this, I disagree. I feel it is a personal decision, to make it easier to shed the pack vs a more stable balanced and known load while crossing. I leave that decision up to the individual.

Peace

peakbagger
01-08-2013, 18:24
The one interesting crossing is off the Katahdin iron works road near Gulf Hagas, there will be plenty of folks around if you are hiking in the late summer or fall as its a popular day hike. If the conditions are iffy there is usually a volunteer hanging around to keep an eye on Gulf Hagas. There really isnt a good alternative unless you want to hike several miles. As it is, odds are you will appreciate the dip in the water. Just dont go barefoot and the standard recomendation is unbuckle your hip belt. During the summer/fall unless there have been days of rains, the streams dont run deep but for southbounders in June they are still fighting the remnants of the snow pack and spring rains.

JAK
01-08-2013, 20:17
Fording is basically the same as Fjording, but your legs don't have to be nearly as long.

StubbleJumper
01-08-2013, 20:27
While I can understand this, I disagree. I feel it is a personal decision, to make it easier to shed the pack vs a more stable balanced and known load while crossing. I leave that decision up to the individual.

Peace

+1

In my experience, dry packs tend to be buoyant. But maybe other people are filling their packs with non-buoyant things like rocks? Also, I've never swum in a creek long enough for my pack to get soaked through with water, so I can't say just how long that might take.

StubbleJumper
01-08-2013, 20:30

Sure, a warm creek in mid-July is no big deal. But in my experience, a creek fed by snow-melt can trigger some serious shrinkage when it gets any higher than your thigh. :)

JAK
01-08-2013, 20:35
+1

In my experience, dry packs tend to be buoyant. But maybe other people are filling their packs with non-buoyant things like rocks? Also, I've never swum in a creek long enough for my pack to get soaked through with water, so I can't say just how long that might take.The problem isn't that the pack will drag you under but that it will pin your face under because it is more boyuant, and you can get knocked out before you get a chance to get it off your back. But I agree, you have to make the call depending on the situation.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2013, 20:39
Butter cup hehehehehe

gizzy bear
01-09-2013, 15:11
The one interesting crossing is off the Katahdin iron works road near Gulf Hagas, there will be plenty of folks around if you are hiking in the late summer or fall as its a popular day hike. If the conditions are iffy there is usually a volunteer hanging around to keep an eye on Gulf Hagas. There really isnt a good alternative unless you want to hike several miles. As it is, odds are you will appreciate the dip in the water. Just dont go barefoot and the standard recomendation is unbuckle your hip belt. During the summer/fall unless there have been days of rains, the streams dont run deep but for southbounders in June they are still fighting the remnants of the snow pack and spring rains.

good to know ... and thank you :) would that be at the base of katahdin? just wondering?

gizzy bear
01-09-2013, 15:13
Fording is basically the same as Fjording, but your legs don't have to be nearly as long.

i am a shawty...5'5"...so that's cool :D

gizzy bear
01-09-2013, 15:13
Butter cup hehehehehe

lolwut? ;)

gizzy bear
01-09-2013, 15:19
Sure, a warm creek in mid-July is no big deal. But in my experience, a creek fed by snow-melt can trigger some serious shrinkage when it gets any higher than your thigh. :)

NIPPLY too!!