PDA

View Full Version : Smokies

TNjed
01-08-2013, 14:08
My aunt lives in gatlinburg and over Christmas she was telling me that they've been finding hikers in the smokies who had been attacked in the middle of the night and sometimes worse. She said it hadn't been on the news because they were trying to keep it quiet because of the investigation or some other reason. Now, I'm not saying its true but has anybody else heard anything like this?

Duramax22
01-08-2013, 14:41
Been there numerous times this year haven't herd anything.

Astro
01-08-2013, 15:09
I would bet this is more just rumor than actual fact.
Hiked in GSMNP in March and July and neither saw or heard anything about this, although there was a shelter ocasionaly closed due to bear activity.

kidchill
01-08-2013, 15:59
I was in the smokies not too long ago and there was only one shelter closed due to bear activity. I was thruhiking and cooked in the shelter and hung my food in the shelter and had no problems...sounds like fear-mongering...

Malto
01-08-2013, 16:03
Attacked by bears, people, hungry hikers??????? Was just there before Christmas and they must be keeping it real hush hush.

TNjed
01-08-2013, 16:05
Not attacked by bears, by people.

tnvarmint
01-08-2013, 16:41
It's kind of hard to keep assaults and such quiet for too long with having to file reports, contact local DA, etc. I would imagine this is just rumors.

TNhiker
01-08-2013, 16:47
i live in knoxville.........and work for a news organization.......and hike in the Park all the time........

last year there was one "attack" on a woman----walking on gatlinburg trail.......

this one has not been solved and they have very few clues about it.......

other than that---me thinks aunty is hearing a bad rumor........