PDA

View Full Version : Would you quit your job to thru hike?

Brian3211
01-08-2013, 15:57
I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do? Thanks.

fins1838
01-08-2013, 16:17
I'd quit. McDonalds will get over it. Besides, I hear Wendys is hiring. ;-)

Rasty
01-08-2013, 16:17
At 19 before student loans I would.

At 39 with kids and a family I would not and I am happy with that. Sections are good enough for me.

Depends on your previous choices in life. I will rethink this when the kids are out of the house.

treesloth
01-08-2013, 16:18
I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do? Thanks.

Brian, for those that have attempted thrus, you're talking probably at least 80%. Can't speak for what anyone does or did afterward, but I'd assume they go back to work afterwards. lol

FarmerChef
01-08-2013, 16:19
That would depend on a variety of things, not the least of which would be financial independence and the ability to easily get a commensurate position without loss of appreciable benefits once I was done. I have a family to support with all that that entails and a good, solid job with great benefits. It's not something I would want to jeopardize unless I was already planning to leave for another reason. And still only then if I had another job lined up that was willing to wait for 5 months for me to finish my thru attempt. For what it's worth, it's why I am trying so hard to finish the AT in 4 years of section hiking. Take advantage of my current situation and health while I have it and then, if I'm blessed, redo the trail with my wife when I'm able to retire or take a leave of absence.

lgrabazs
01-08-2013, 16:21
I'm getting ready to hike again for the third time. Quitting a job is the best part of getting ready for a thru hike. It takes a little bit of faith knowing you'll find a job when you return but I've always had good luck. I guess I'm fortunate to be from New England where the economy has been pretty strong. I have developed the pattern of planning a thru hike when I get tired or complacent with my job!

colorado_rob
01-08-2013, 16:22
Yep, going to do just that in about 2.5 months. I'm saying bye-bye to a very substantial paycheck and a really decent job. But at my point in life, TIME is waaaaaay more valuable than money. After this year's AT attempt? Depends on how well the AT works out, but hopefully some other thru attempt; PCT, CDT, Tea Araroa, lots of possible UK or European thrus, the list is long indeed!

max patch
01-08-2013, 16:22
I asked for a LOA, was turned down, so I quit. But I would not do that today in the current economic environment.

When I got back my old employer offered me my job back. I turned them down.

I interviewed for a while and ended up working as an independent contractor doing accounting work.

robertblake60
01-08-2013, 16:32
I am quitting my job of 14 years on 2/28 to start my thru hike on 3/10. I'm 33, married, no kids.

ChinMusic
01-08-2013, 16:32
I'm taking a sabbatical and turning the business over to my son for my '13 thru.

Another Kevin
01-08-2013, 16:34
No. That's why I remain a clueless weekender.

Austin 2014
01-08-2013, 16:37
I will be 32 in 2014 when I start my thru. I am not passionate about my job and am planning to quit a few weeks prior to my hike. I've considered asking for leave, but the thought of hiking 2,000+ miles knowing I'll have to come back to my current job would be a major bummer. Irresponsible? Maybe. But you have to be a little irresponsible every now and then!

I'm moving in with my parents when my lease expires this June and will be living with them to save up money. That way, I'll have some cushion if I can't find a job right away when I get back.

jimmyjam
01-08-2013, 17:00
Yep, going to do just that in about 2.5 months. I'm saying bye-bye to a very substantial paycheck and a really decent job. But at my point in life, TIME is waaaaaay more valuable than money. After this year's AT attempt? Depends on how well the AT works out, but hopefully some other thru attempt; PCT, CDT, Tea Araroa, lots of possible UK or European thrus, the list is long indeed!

Pretty much my situation too. 82 days and counting. Life is way too short to grow old and die behind a desk. I gotta get out there!

treesloth
01-08-2013, 17:12
Pretty much my situation too. 82 days and counting. Life is way too short to grow old and die behind a desk. I gotta get out there!

Well said, my man.

robertblake60
01-08-2013, 17:15
Well said, my man.

Very well said. The next 7 weeks are going to be the longest I've ever spent in my cubicle. Coupled with the Chicago winter; yuck.

jimmyjam
01-08-2013, 17:22
Very well said. The next 7 weeks are going to be the longest I've ever spent in my cubicle. Coupled with the Chicago winter; yuck.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't have a cubicle- I got a "white cave"- a windowless office. About the only thing that keeps me sane are the outdoor pictures on my walls.

linder
01-08-2013, 17:27
I'm going to ask for a leave, I'm a RN. I'm looking for a second job so I can pay off everything, have money for the hike and have some to live on when I get back.

robertblake60
01-08-2013, 17:29
I'm actually considering going to school to be an RN after the hike. Might be time for a career change and one that doesn't have me chained to a desk.

whatnot
01-08-2013, 17:33
As a section hiker and wannabe thru-hiker, I seriously considered quitting my job (a very good job) to thru-hike this year. I have the gear. I have money. Why not? Too chicken to take the leap of faith, that's why not. Problem solved----employer laid me off and gave me money to go away. See you all on the trail in April.

CHSTigersFan
01-08-2013, 17:34
I am thinking of doing just that. Granted it will be a few years down the road when my son graduates High School, by then I will have enough money saved to hit the trail and I can't wait. I am hoping I can get a sabatical but if not I will be ready to leave.

StylinLP38
01-08-2013, 17:47
Im waiting for them to stop extending my contract so I can disappear :)

Cookerhiker
01-08-2013, 17:56
One of the best-selling books on a hiker's thruhike experience was AWOL on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.theatguide.com/AwolOnTheAT.html). AWOL quit his job.

hikerboy57
01-08-2013, 17:59
if you would quit your job just to do a thru hike, you should probably quit your job anyway.

johnnybgood
01-08-2013, 18:11
I'm clearly on the cusp of taking a modest sabbitical.

_Jon
01-08-2013, 19:23
I'll be quitting my job to do the AT this year. I'm single, have the savings to pay my way through and I'm confident I can find another job when I get back... I'm still a little apprehensive but I'm 30 and not getting any younger so I figure I have to do it soon before I get tied down in any serious way.

The main problem at the moment is finding somebody to rent my house short term...

tarantolk
01-08-2013, 19:34
I plan on quitting my job for my thru this June. It'll be the first time I will be jobless since early HS, so it's a little nerve wracking & hopefully a huge feeling of freedom, I do not know yet. I'm 27, I do have a pretty good job as a pastry chef, benefits, etc. but I'm not too concerned. I've always been able to find a job & if not now, when? I'm not tied to anything & my boyfriend will be hiking with me. Everything will fall into place in the end :-) now.. If June will just get here!!

johnnybgood
01-08-2013, 19:44
I plan on quitting my job for my thru this June. now.. If June will just get here!!

Will you and your bf be late northbounders or early start southbounders ? Good luck either way .

Donde
01-08-2013, 19:45
I did, and I am fixin' to do it again. Afterwards I got a new job. I am wanting to do that the same again too.

Being single and having no debt has made this much more doable for me than it would be for some. YMMV

Tuckahoe
01-08-2013, 19:51
No. I love my job, the folks I work with and the folks I work for. I get to beat on hot iron everyday and share the wonders of smithing and history with great visitors. My job also funds other hobbies, so I am content to small sections.

Bati
01-08-2013, 20:06
I did. I was about your age, and had applied to graduate before I quit. I learned shortly after starting that I was in with money. The only problem is that I didn't allow enough time before school started; I hadn't planned for things like bad weather and injuries. If you do something like this, try to allow 6 months for backpacking. If you finish early, you'll have time to acclimate back to the real world.

Liminal
01-08-2013, 20:10
Quit my Job? I am training my replacement this week... my hope is that my replacement will hate the job after 8 months and the company will call me back (my supervisor said she has my number)!! If not, ????? The hike is worth it.

Spirit Walker
01-08-2013, 20:17
I've done that several times, as has my husband. In my case, jobs were pretty easy to find again (retail and administrative asst.) and twice I was asked back to my previous job; for my husband, an engineer, it took a bit longer after his first hike to find work (5 months), but less than a month after his third.

In this economic climate, unless I had a skill set that was in high demand, I would definitely hesitate to quit. Regardless, it's a good idea to have enough extra cash to hold you until you find work. Sometimes the hardest part is having the will to go look for a job after knowing the freedom of the trail.

tarantolk
01-08-2013, 20:28
Johnnybgood - were going to SOBO mid/late June ; thanks :-)

casara
01-08-2013, 20:40
I'm quitting my job for my hike this year. I don't hate the job, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I can find something similar when I get back. I've been working extra hard to be an A+ employee these last few months, in hopes that they'll remember me fondly when I go, and maybe either take me back or give me a good reference.

I saved enough money to cover my half of the rent, my student loans, and other payments for a 6 month hike and 3 months when I return and look for work. I'm married to a very supportive husband who is staying home. I wanted to do something big, adventurous and irresponsible before I officially settle down, buy a house, and see about having a kid or two.

Mr Breeze
01-08-2013, 20:53
I left my job after 18 years to thru hike last year. I gave them a year and a half's notice, and they denied it. I had saved the time to do it, but didn't expect anything less. After i healed up from my hike, i began sending out resumes, and applying for jobs. It didn't take long before i was working again, and i have no regrets about leaving when i did.

l84toff
01-08-2013, 21:00
One of the best-selling books on a hiker's thruhike experience was AWOL on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.theatguide.com/AwolOnTheAT.html). AWOL quit his job.

LOL, that's actually what I'm reading at the moment, quite enjoyable book I must say. I picked up a few books when we stopped at Harper's Ferry earlier this year.

To answer the question, yes I would, if I had to. I'm pretty sure I can get some LOA but you never know. We're currently working on a plan to take a couple of years off and hike and travel. I would like to take a leave but if that doesn't fly, then buh-bye. Sometimes it can be a very positive thing to quit, hike, figure stuff out, come back and do something completely different. Today's economy is difficult so it's not a choice made easy that's for sure. But even making good money has a price sometimes.

colorado_rob
01-08-2013, 21:56
Pretty much my situation too. 82 days and counting. Life is way too short to grow old and die behind a desk. I gotta get out there! 82 days? Count only WORK days, and I betcha you're closer to my 52 WORK days left... (that is if you're planning a NOBO this spring, like me)

kattreks
01-08-2013, 22:53
I will be quitting my job for next years thru-hike. Its a big decision because I have a good job with benefits and a pension which most folks don't get these days but I just can't see swapping any more of my ever decreasing precious time on this planet for a paycheck. I qualify for a small vesting pension which is nowhere near enough to maintain my current lifestyle but its a little something to help me tick over until I find something else when I get back. I've paid all my debt off, the kids are grown now, and I've never been the type to be ultra career driven. I just read a book called "The Joy of Not Working" which has helped me quite a bit to realize I'm not crazy about wanting to live simply on a tight budget in exchange for my freedom. My planned quitting date is the beginning of June of this year at the latest. Needless to say, everyone I know thinks I'm insane.

prain4u
01-08-2013, 22:59
I have watched these types of threads many times over the past few years. In GENERAL, you don't see too many people between the ages of 35 and 55 (with minor children living in the hiker's household) quitting their employment to hike the AT (or even saying that they will quit).

Some exceptions:
1) People who have another source of income, large savings--or self-employment.
2) People who hate their current job and plan to quit anyway.
3) People whose jobs are not year around (i.e. school teachers, ski instructors, etc.).
4) People who can retire at a younger agey (military, police, firefighters).

In the 35-55 age bracket, there also seems to be a difference between people who have a "just a job" and those who have a "career" (good benefits, chance for promotion, seniority. a requirement for specialized training or specialized education etc). The "career" folks are more likely to stay with their job and not quit (but you may see is such people getting a leave of absence or a sabbatical).

Mountain Mike
01-08-2013, 23:34
I was lucky enough to get a leave of absence on two out of three of my long distance hikes. Third time I had to quit. But at the time I had peaked out in where I could go with that company & it was time to move on anyway.

Marta
01-08-2013, 23:59
I tried to turn in my resignation, but got a leave of absence. I worked until the day before I flew to Maine, and was back in the office twelve hours after I got home from Georgia.

There's such a difference in people's individual situations, though, that one can't make generalizations about whether or not it's a good idea, and whether a new job will come along promptly.

Astro
01-09-2013, 00:50

And AWOL I believe was fortunate to get his old job back again later on.

fiddlehead
01-09-2013, 01:39
I would continue my business and work on the trail through my phone.
It would take a little longer because I'd have to work at least an hour a night.
And it would mean carrying more batteries but, I wouldn't be postponing something I love doing.
On the other hand, my 7 year old son is much more important than any job and I wouldn't leave him.
So, I wait.

Different Socks
01-09-2013, 01:57
Have enough money to quit right now and hike for 15 years straight, but was in accident so gotta wait 3 years to pay off med bills first.
To answer the other question: I don't plan to go back to work until after
the first hike is over and only for 2 reasons: boredom and b/c it will be winter and I will need time to set up next adventure.

Aquaman12
01-09-2013, 11:29
My wife and I both plan on doing this for our 2014 NOBO. She has already decided that she doesnt want to go back to her current job. She feels that it will take a lot for her to just stay there until our thru. As for me, Im a server. Not that I want to continue serving but its good money if you can do your job well. Serving jobs are easier to find as well, again as long as you are decent at your job. Unless a good deal comes up, waiting tables is what Ill stick with until my "traveling phase" is over.

MyName1sMud
01-09-2013, 11:38
In this job market?

You're lucky if you have a job.

jimmyjam
01-09-2013, 13:48
82 days? Count only WORK days, and I betcha you're closer to my 52 WORK days left... (that is if you're planning a NOBO this spring, like me)

You are right. I'm planning on NOBO somewhere around the third week in April. See you out there! I'll be 55 so I'll starting out slowly although I am in excellant shape to start.

TurboPants
01-09-2013, 14:16
This is a question I've seriously been contemplating doing this in 2014. I've done about 10 day hikes in the smokies and I would absolutely love to do the AT. But 5 months is a long time to go by with the world changing. I'm more worried that after doing a thru hike I would never go back to work lol. I'm 32 and in decent shape but I wonder if my knees would hold up to the abuse since I've been working a a desk the last 5 years. OP, let us know what you end up doing. I think we need to get a group of job quitters and hike together for moral support heh. Good luck to you!

sdisser
01-09-2013, 14:24
I'm quitting in April to thru-hike! I don't have any dependents and I have planned ahead by saving enough money to keep me afloat for a few months while I find something new.

Just do it! It will be liberating. When trying to decide whether I would quit my job, I just imagined myself sitting in my cubicle next summer thinking about what life would be like on the trail. That gave me the motivation instantly.

Highpointbound
01-09-2013, 22:44
No, I would not quit. I have a good career, good benefits, etc. And I would like to do other things in my life besides hiking, and for that money comes in handy.

Brian3211
01-11-2013, 11:59
Thanks for all the responses, I am debating on quiting my job and thru hiking this year. I already have most of my gear that is needed. I like my job for the most part but I am sort of getting fed up with how much I make and the people there. I would love to thru hike and be free for six months, My only worry is finding a place to live and a job when I get back.

Astro
01-11-2013, 12:11
I would continue my business and work on the trail through my phone.
It would take a little longer because I'd have to work at least an hour a night.
And it would mean carrying more batteries but, I wouldn't be postponing something I love doing.
On the other hand, my 7 year old son is much more important than any job and I wouldn't leave him.
So, I wait.

I am in similar situation to Fiddlehead. Obtained tenative approval for LOA (Leave Of Absence) in 2014. But with 4 children still living at home, decided to just keep section hiking, but increasing amount to one month each summer until I finish in 2016. If health holds up, could still thru-hike in 2024, unless youngest son quits baseball before end of college (2023). Of course if he redshirts that would push that out a year. For now will just enjoy the section hikes, and see what the future holds when we get there.

Stink Bug
01-11-2013, 12:25
Yes, I quit my job, handed in my notice this week. Last day will be April 5 and heading to Georgia April 6th. I've worked hard the last 6 years and got my mortgage and car paid off and I don't have any other bills. I don't have any credit card debt and I've got $7000 saved up for the hike. I'm not independently wealthy by any means but I do take great delight in explaining to the people at work that I'm quitting and don't need a job (for the time I'm hiking at least).

CarlZ993
01-11-2013, 13:13
I wouldn't quit my former job (Law Enforcement, now retired) to hike a long trail. Fortunately, I was able to retire 'young' and still do stuff. I'm looking forward to my upcoming thru-hike.

Chuckie V
01-11-2013, 13:15
I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do?

Yep, and I have. I'll find another job when I'm done playing.

Remember: it's just a job. Life is far more important.

G.G.
01-11-2013, 13:30
Yes. Yes I would.

snowblind
01-11-2013, 23:40
I did. Quit my job of 7 years( I'm 34) in early June of last year and started SOBO late July. Left trail Dec. 14 at HF. Going back to finish south from HF mid Feb.

What to do afterwards? Have a job already offered, if I want it. Was planning on relocating after my hike anyways, so it works out. Of course, I may do something completely unrelated to the I.T. field after I finish the hike. After a week behind a desk for 8 hours a day, I may truly hate it and bounce back to trail.

THEHAIR
01-12-2013, 16:38
So I thru hiked last year on the trail and yes lots and lots of people in there mid 20s' quit there job and cash in there 401k or there stock they've earned while working there. I myself was able to come back to my job under one stipulation that I have to complete the entire trail it took me 181 days it was the most memorable experience ever unforgettable priceless and it will blowyour mind get out there and have the adventure of your lifetime do not hesitate to do this if you are truly 100 percent basically don't **** it up get to Springer and hike and don't ever southbound or flipflop NOBO NEVER SOBO. catch ya on the flipside THE HAIR

Lyle
01-12-2013, 17:09
Quit my job managing a restaurant, sold my car, sold all my furniture, put the rest of my stuff in storage. Took off for 11 months to hike across the US. Had the BEST year of my life. Came back, got a series of piddly jobs, took some additional classes, and got a job that I actually enjoyed within 18 months.

The best move I've ever made.

Wasn't it Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Sly
01-12-2013, 17:30
In this job market?

Maybe that's why last year was record setting for thru-hikers?

Unless you didn't have one to begin with, are retired, or granted a leave of absence, it would appear most people that thru-hike end up quitting their jobs.

WingedMonkey
01-12-2013, 19:11
I am in similar situation to Fiddlehead.

You might have missed his history. He has already hiked half way around the world. He found some crazy woman to make him a devoting father. He is an old man and still does most of want he wants to do.

He will be an even older man when he is dragging his son up American trails. But he will.

:p

Persie
01-12-2013, 19:49
I will be quitting my job for next years thru-hike. Its a big decision because I have a good job with benefits and a pension which most folks don't get these days but I just can't see swapping any more of my ever decreasing precious time on this planet for a paycheck. I qualify for a small vesting pension which is nowhere near enough to maintain my current lifestyle but its a little something to help me tick over until I find something else when I get back. I've paid all my debt off, the kids are grown now, and I've never been the type to be ultra career driven. I just read a book called "The Joy of Not Working" which has helped me quite a bit to realize I'm not crazy about wanting to live simply on a tight budget in exchange for my freedom. My planned quitting date is the beginning of June of this year at the latest. Needless to say, everyone I know thinks I'm insane.

Tried to find the book you mention on Amazon with no luck...do you know the author?

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 20:20
I've had a couple of jobs, where on a bad day at work I would have quit my job to take a hike in the local dog park :D

Ladytrekker
01-12-2013, 21:35
As much of a free spirit I wish I was no I would not quit my job to thru hike I will wait until time is right for me

Lyle
01-12-2013, 22:21
In this job market?

Actually, there are quite a few jobs available. The problem is that people don't want to take something below their "standard of living" and accept them. During the holidays, FedEx and UPS couldn't find enough workers at $20 an hour with some benefits because they were temp. They had a hard time getting packages delivered on time.

Now I ask you, after spending 6-months living out of a backpack and eating Ramen, how hard will it be to improve your standard of living? After my long hike, I got a job as a camp counselor during summer camp, then moved on to delivering newspapers. Paid the bills while I took classes and then got a real job. Now I have the choice of places to work.Just need to get some marketable training.

mtnkngxt
01-13-2013, 07:04
As someone who has 0 intention of ever buying a house or another vehicle for a long time once my truck is paid off, sure. As someone without a wife, girlfriend, dog, kid, or dependent parent, sure.

If these things were different, then I would say no.

Carbo
01-13-2013, 11:18
You need to do something ridiculous to succeed.

Josh Calhoun
01-14-2013, 19:09
i am 26 years old and have invested 7 years with my company. i have a very respected job title and making good money for somebody with no education after high school. i out in a leave of absense request over the summer just to get turned down months later. i told the company i apreciate the employment oppertunity that i had with them BUT my last day of work will be Feb the 8th. sometimes a good job and good money just aint what makes you happy.
Feb the 16th 2013 NOBO www.trailjournals.com/Rash (http://www.trailjournals.com/Rash)

Josh Calhoun
01-14-2013, 19:09
woops! 25yo :)

Brian3211
01-14-2013, 20:18
i am 26 years old and have invested 7 years with my company. i have a very respected job title and making good money for somebody with no education after high school. i out in a leave of absense request over the summer just to get turned down months later. i told the company i apreciate the employment oppertunity that i had with them BUT my last day of work will be Feb the 8th. sometimes a good job and good money just aint what makes you happy.
Feb the 16th 2013 NOBO www.trailjournals.com/Rash (http://www.trailjournals.com/Rash)

Thats the thing about me, I really like my job, Its not the best money but its not bad for what I do. If I were to quit and thru hike I would pretty much be completely broke, Jobless, and homeless when I returned, my roommates lease is up in march anyway. I would hate to give up everything to thru hike.....But I REALLY want to do it. Its a tough decision for me and I appreciate all the great answers so far. Thanks.

Theosus
01-14-2013, 20:22
I would quit. My wife would be really, really pissed though. So off to work I go.

Zippy Morocco
01-14-2013, 20:28
Today is my first day of unemployment. I am a 34 and am leaving a good job to go hike the Appalachian trail. I could probably come back to it when I'm done but really doubt I will.

Akela
01-14-2013, 21:21
I don't think my husband and my 2 middle school kids would appreciate it :rolleyes:. The trail will have to wait a few more years...hiking almost every weekend has to be enough for now. But, I keep my hope ...who knows;)

paistes5
01-15-2013, 02:01
I'll be 44 next year when I start my hike. I have a career, however I'm single and have no kids. I work entirely way too many hours averaging 55 to 60 a week. Life is passing me by so I'm going. I'd go this year but I'm hiking with my brother and we planned on next year. Quit a job to hike? In a second.

Northern Lights
01-15-2013, 10:13
After almost 23 years I would not quit. I can take a 6 month sabatical but I just took this posting 5 months ago and my employer spent a whole lot of money to get me here. So I'll wait only 11 more years until I retire and become a full time hiker. Until then I'll continue to do my 2-3 week section hikes.

burrito
01-15-2013, 11:44
i quit my job of 21 years to make my hike possible, cashed out my profit sharing plan and payed ridiculous penalties.
i am currently sitting around waiting to start in march sleeping late and enjoying every minute of it
of course , by conventional wisdom what im doing is crazy, but, if i keep making conventional decisions about life ,i would not be hiking the AT this spring.
there is no doubt in my mind that i am doing the right thing for me:D

prain4u
01-15-2013, 15:22
Here's my luck--I would quit my job (which in my case would also mean "burning bridges" with my employers and also moving to a different home). Then, I would probably break my ankle on the first week of the attempted thru hike! :)

hikerboy57
01-15-2013, 15:39
Here's my luck--I would quit my job (which in my case would also mean "burning bridges" with my employers and also moving to a different home). Then, I would probably break my ankle on the first week of the attempted thru hike! :)
yes then theres that.seeing that 90 percent of attempts fail, there aint no certainty you'll achieve that life dream you sacrificed everything for

ATMountainTime
01-15-2013, 17:24
42 years old here, in a career that i really love, and have been doing since college, with a terrific employer a great boss, married and no kids.

The answer is different for everyone. While we'd all love to romanticize and say "yeah man, i quit and thru hiked" its simply not a reality for most of us. That being said, i have saved for 2 years, gotten in shape, got most of my gear together etc. Wife was very supportive, i think she has a thing for the Fed Ex guy, but i can't confirm yet :)...and I will be leaving this job to do it. For me, im at a place in life where i feel stalled out, and with responsibilities making my decisions for me. I dont expect some great awakening on the trail. I just know in my heart its time to do this.

hope to see yall out there!

hikerboy57
01-15-2013, 18:25
42 years old here, in a career that i really love, and have been doing since college, with a terrific employer a great boss, married and no kids.

The answer is different for everyone. While we'd all love to romanticize and say "yeah man, i quit and thru hiked" its simply not a reality for most of us. That being said, i have saved for 2 years, gotten in shape, got most of my gear together etc. Wife was very supportive, i think she has a thing for the Fed Ex guy, but i can't confirm yet :)...and I will be leaving this job to do it. For me, im at a place in life where i feel stalled out, and with responsibilities making my decisions for me. I dont expect some great awakening on the trail. I just know in my heart its time to do this.

hope to see yall out there!
best of luck, hope to see you when you hit the northeast. if you really love your job that much, and you have a great relationship with your boss, you may find your job waiting for you when you return.(not sure about the wife:))

lkn4air
01-15-2013, 20:16
I fly out to Atlanta April 4th. Quitting two jobs before I go. WIll have plenty of time on the trail to think about what I am going to do after.

HYOH

Brian3211
01-16-2013, 20:28
I fly out to Atlanta April 4th. Quitting two jobs before I go. WIll have plenty of time on the trail to think about what I am going to do after.

HYOH Will you be completely broke or close to it at the end or do you have enough to give yourself time to get back on your feet?

lkn4air
01-17-2013, 04:06
depends on how much i spend. don't have allot of money anymore. should have done this trip three years ago when i was in excellent shape and plenty of money. but it is now or never so here we go. i am really looking forward to it. also unlike allot of people all of my friends and family are totally supportive of my decision.

Miami Joe
01-17-2013, 06:37
Getting paid to do a thru is the way to go. It has been done before.

dukakis
01-17-2013, 07:52
I've wrapping up eight years with the Marine Corps next month. I spent two years in Iraq and am currently finishing my third year in Afghanistan. I have enough saved to make the decision pretty easy. If I can't find my way into a defense job when I'm complete the trail in the Fall, I'll have the GI Bill to fall back on.

Brian3211
01-17-2013, 09:12
Getting paid to do a thru is the way to go. It has been done before.And how does one do this.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 11:42
Someone should make a Hike for Hire site. Paid Porters lol.
Kinda like hiring them that stand outside of Home Depot. Now thats Slack Packing to the extreme! Hire 1 for gear and hire 2nd for cooking, hire 3rd for Security, hire 4th as a gf...lol

tds1195
01-17-2013, 12:23
hire 4th as a gf...lol

Haha! Wouldn't that be something....

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 12:48
Gives a new meaning to "trail girls" *grin*

Marta
01-17-2013, 12:55
I've wrapping up eight years with the Marine Corps next month. I spent two years in Iraq and am currently finishing my third year in Afghanistan. I have enough saved to make the decision pretty easy. If I can't find my way into a defense job when I'm complete the trail in the Fall, I'll have the GI Bill to fall back on.

Unlike the hikers who wail that hiking in Georgia is the toughest thing they have ever done, I doubt you'll find it so. Good luck and best wishes on your hike.

Mike2012
01-17-2013, 22:23
Having just about finished my thru-hike my answer is HELL YEAH!!!,!, You have to be committed to finishing or at least doing half. The AT has changed my life, my whole outlook on life. If it is something you REALLY want to do it and it is something that will always be there in you mind as something you really wanted to do in your life, by all means do it. Plus the time has to be right. As you can see I am 44. In November of 2011 I realized it was the perfect thing to do. And it was. Go crazy. Quit your job. Be foolish. Live your dreams.

Carry-On
01-17-2013, 22:35
I did and I don't regret it. I hiked with a woman who got a leave of absence from work and she was so stressed about finishing in time that she had trouble enjoying some things and then had to get off the trail before she was ready or finished her thruhike because her job was bugging her family to get her back. Sooo.... I'm unemployed, but I now that I finished my thruhike in December I don't want that old job anyway, and wouldn't take it back if I could.

stranger
01-18-2013, 06:00

I have more than once, and I've quit jobs to travel as well, the key is setting things up before you leave, and believing things will work out, just quit!

Tramp
01-18-2013, 07:37
I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do? Thanks. YES!! And leave my apartment, put my stuff in storage and go. And another thing, having been a company owner and a manager at a company, if I saw tru-hiked the A.T. in ???? Year, on a job app. YOUR HIRED ! The planning, the never quit attatude that within you to overcome problems and live in those condishions for that long ......just what I'm looking for ! If you can tru hike the A.T. ....you can do anything !!!!!

stuthetraveler
01-18-2013, 07:58
I absolutely would... but I'm not sure my wife would be so thrilled with that. I've often thought if I had a major life changing event (loss of job, death of close family member, etc) that it'd be a good way to reflect on life and what's important in it.

DavidNH
01-18-2013, 09:16
unless you are A) retired or b) in or just out of school and don't have a job yet, you can't thru hike unless you quit your job. No one in any country gives 5-6 months of vacation.

hikerboy57
01-18-2013, 09:24
unless you are A) retired or b) in or just out of school and don't have a job yet, you can't thru hike unless you quit your job. No one in any country gives 5-6 months of vacation.

plenty of employers that would grant a leave of absence.my own boss would let me take the time off if i wanted.

prain4u
01-18-2013, 20:17
plenty of employers that would grant a leave of absence.my own boss would let me take the time off if i wanted.

I'm not wishing to start a debate hikerboy57. I simply disagree with one word in your statement. That word is "PLENTY". Based upon my personal experience and my own observations--the number of employers that would grant an employee a 5-6 month leave of absence to go hiking is actually pretty small.

I have worked for several companies with hundreds or thousands of employees--and in each company their employee policies specifically stated that leaves of absence would ONLY be granted for things such as medical reasons, military duty, and schooling that would directly benefit the company. Most of the policies went so far as to specifically say things such as "under no circumstances shall a leave of absence be used for the purposes of an extended vacations or for personal enrichment".

hikerboy57
01-18-2013, 20:24
well i certainly wouldnt have highlighted plenty. and you're right. but if you enjoy your job, and you do have a good relationship with your employer, its not that unusual. the larger the company you work for, the less likely they would grant you a leave.i think it matters greatly how much you enjoy your wor but for those who work at small companiies, many bosses are very supportive of helping key employees achieve their own personal goals, knowing this will benefit the company in increased loyalty, assuming the employee wants to return to his job. i wasnt kidding in my older response that if you would quit your job to go hiking for 5 or 6 months, you should probably quit your job anyway. i am fortunate to work for a business owner that has been extremely supportive of my own personal goals, and has told me if i wanted to thru hike,he would keep my health insurance coverage active and i would have a job when i returned.i know im lucky. when i left for my section hike last year he paid me full vacation pay the whole time i was out.
there are oher employers out there that are likeminded, and i know im lucky.
yeah. maybe not plenty

madmall89
01-24-2013, 10:06
I got pulled into the office and they thought I was going to go work somewhere else. When I told them what I was doing they were cool with it. They thought I was crazy, but cool with it and said it would be fine to take a LOA. Even got a raise in the same conversation. I love what I do get to build race cars every day.

BirdBrain
01-24-2013, 10:10

I would quit in a second. I think my wife would quit me too if I did. Given that the wife is more important than the trail and the job put together.... I guess I won't be quitting any time soon.

Robin2013AT
01-28-2013, 19:34
I resigned today. Yikes! Good career...bad boss. HR said they would hire me on the spot when I get back. They only do 12 wk LOA and for medical, family etc. I have been saving and paying down for 6 months. House paid off, no credit card or any kind of debt, 5k in an AT bank account, fat 401k, insurance and taxes prepaid, house is rented (cheap) in exchange for cat sitting. It can all be done if you have the nerve. Life is too short not to reach for a dream every once in a while. If I wait any longer I will need a walker to reach Katahdin.

hikerboy57
01-28-2013, 20:12
I resigned today. Yikes! Good career...bad boss. HR said they would hire me on the spot when I get back. They only do 12 wk LOA and for medical, family etc. I have been saving and paying down for 6 months. House paid off, no credit card or any kind of debt, 5k in an AT bank account, fat 401k, insurance and taxes prepaid, house is rented (cheap) in exchange for cat sitting. It can all be done if you have the nerve. Life is too short not to reach for a dream every once in a while. If I wait any longer I will need a walker to reach Katahdin.
awesome move.what agreat position to be in, knowing theyd hire you back and now you have the luxury of hiking your hike and being able to go off in a new direction when you finish,and you will.best of luck.and if you're around monson august 12th theres a little party planned.

lauren&austin
01-28-2013, 20:52
I'm planning a thru-hike in '14, and I definitely plan on quitting my job. But, I work for a small dog grooming business (5 employees) and I really believe my boss would hire me back, although I haven't discussed it with her yet. Even if she didn't though, I'm relatively confident I could find another job with ease. She might not want to hire me back when she finds out I'm also aiming for a '15 PCT thru-hike!

Astro
01-28-2013, 21:24
I would quit in a second. I think my wife would quit me too if I did. Given that the wife is more important than the trail and the job put together.... I guess I won't be quitting any time soon.

My situation exactly, willing to quit job (could even get sabbatical/LOA), but not willing to quit wife and family. So I will keep section hiking every summer till I finish.

Astro
01-28-2013, 21:26

I am with HB, this awesome! Way to work hard and get everything in order. I think a lot people want to, but not willing to make the sacrifices. Kind of discipline that should make for a good thru-hike. Best wishes on your journey!

slbirdnerd
01-30-2013, 09:38
I have a 10 year old son so while the thought of just quitting and going is awesome (he wants me to!) I can't. Yet. The plan is to start section hiking 1-2 weeks a summer for now, and in 7 years when he graduates high school I'll leave this job and we'll finish whatever is left, maybe move near the trail and set up shop or something.

slbirdnerd
01-30-2013, 09:47
I'm 32 and in decent shape but I wonder if my knees would hold up to the abuse since I've been working a a desk the last 5 years. OP, let us know what you end up doing.

Hey, TurboPants, I'm in Ohio too and also tied to a desk, but recently started planning and with it, conditioning. It's small at first--taking the stairs to my 4th floor office, the hill climb program on the treadmill, and getting to a local park to hike on some terrain at least a little bit each weekend. I already feel better even just sitting at my damn desk. Can't wait to hit the trail! I'm a single mom and my son and I are going to start section hiking this year.