PDA

View Full Version : I need the deets about gear and weight!

Popnfrsh24
01-08-2013, 18:09
OK, So I have started to look at other peoples gear list to try and get ideas on what to buy, and man people are super organized on here! They have excel tables with names, weights, and notes about all of their prodcuts. It seems like every one here is very engineering-minded, or they are just super organized. I can't help but think that most people are overpreparing a lot for all of this stuff. From what I have heard from other thru hikers, they say they ditched a lot of stuff in the first weeks. Can you thru hikers give advice on what these items usually are? I dont want to bring these items in the first place!

And also, I realize weight is almost everything when it comes to hiking, but to a naive thru-hiker wannabe, some of this ultralight ideals seem a little unncessary. I mean, cutting a toothbrush in half so that it weighs less....really? Is it THAT bad? I realize that you are carrying that stuff all the time, so every ounce matters, but some things just seem kind of ridiculous. Also I know lighter bag => easier on legs => travel more distance => happier hiker. But, If I don't have the lightest bag, will I just be walking all the time being like "OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO HEAVY GET IT OFF OF ME!!!" or will I just be walking at a slower pace?

Also, the #1 thing I want to bring on this trip is my travel guitar + case. Guitar is a HUGE passion of mine, I play it at least for one hour every day, usually way more than that. That being said, there is no way I am not bringing one with me. I know this is going to add a lot of weight, so do you guys have suggestions on how to cut off weight on other bigger items in order to compensate for this?

Thanks!
:banana
Pop

Omaha_Ace
01-08-2013, 18:11
Learn to fish.

Storm
01-08-2013, 18:24
Some folks go light, many go heavy. It's your hike, take anything you are willing to carry and don't worry so much about what other people think. You will make many adjustments the first few weeks. And yes, some people have more fun making up data sheets than they do hiking.

swjohnsey
01-08-2013, 20:13
A guy carried a cello in 2011.

keepinitsimple
01-08-2013, 20:45
I never did the whole trail, but I do big chunks. I'll finish it some day. But I do have plenty to say about gear. Buy Lynn Wheldens video about the secrets of lightweight back packing- he has a website- it put me in the right frame of mind. You dont need to spend a lot of money to save on weight. If you are young and healthy, maybe weight is not such a big deal. I have physical issues and budget issues, so going light on a dime is critical. Society will tell you that you need to spend money, a lot of money, but you dont.

slowfeet
01-08-2013, 20:48
Some folks go light, many go heavy. It's your hike, take anything you are willing to carry and don't worry so much about what other people think. You will make many adjustments the first few weeks. And yes, some people have more fun making up data sheets than they do hiking.

+1
I didn't see a lot of the UL gear that I thought I would... my guess is that they are more into gear and the planning or even with the light stuff they couldn't or didn't want to make it. :(

Best thing to do is either practice hike/camp or just go out there and send stuff home.

My first package home was: (off the top of my head)
extra map pages that wouldn't be needed for 1900 miles
weather radio (would of kept it if it was more localized to where I was)
spares/redundant items
other misc crap

I wasted a perfectly good toothbrush cutting the handle off... YMMV

Odd Man Out
01-08-2013, 20:54
A guy carried a cello in 2011.

Hey I play the cello too. But mine is much heavier than most. Need to get me one of them UL celli.

keep moving
01-08-2013, 21:21
OK, So I have started to look at other peoples gear list to try and get ideas on what to buy, and man people are super organized on here! They have excel tables with names, weights, and notes about all of their prodcuts. It seems like every one here is very engineering-minded, or they are just super organized. I can't help but think that most people are overpreparing a lot for all of this stuff. From what I have heard from other thru hikers, they say they ditched a lot of stuff in the first weeks.

I think many hikers who ditch a lot of stuff in the first few weeks of their hike are the ones who did not take the time to organize their gear ahead of time, go through it piece by piece, and ask others to review their gearlists prior to starting their hike.

shelb
01-10-2013, 00:25
Perhaps, a happy medium for you with your guitar will be 30# - pack AND guitar. How much does the guitar weigh?