PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Trekker 65

BuckeyeBill
01-08-2013, 23:40
After many years of being away from hiking, I am returning with the desire to hike the AT in a year from now. Being old school so to speak I am looking at the Kelty Trekker 65 Backpack. I am of the opinion that Internal style packs are nothing more than Duffel bags with shoulder straps and a waist belt. I like the design of the 65 and the numerous outer pockets. I am looking for other opinions and will keep an open mind to all who reply. Thanks in advance.

Buckeye Bill

moytoy
01-09-2013, 07:30
I have a trekker 65 and like it. I have trimmed a few oz off of it and it weighs about 4 1/2 lbs. I use it more for overnight trips with my grandkids so I can carry some of their gear than for extended hiking alone. For me the extra weight of the pack is the drawback. If I am hiking with anything over 30 Lbs I'll use the Kelty. For a thru hike (which I have not done yet) I want something lighter.

Tuckahoe
01-09-2013, 09:52
I believe that packs are pretty personal and so many folks will have pretty strong opinions. When I returned to backpacking I tried the internal framed and found that i just didnt like them and went to the old school external frame. I use the Trekker 3950, which I believe that the Trekker 65 replaces.

I really love the stability of the frame and the ability to use the frame as attaching points. I dont mind the weight at all as I believe it carries the load much better and comfortably I also like having several pockets.

My last trip my total pack weight with food and water for 4 or 5 days was 28lbs and it carried like a dream.

moytoy
01-09-2013, 22:26
I have a trekker 65 and like it.
Actually mine is the 3550 but as T-64 points out it is the same as the trekker 65.

Pendragon
01-09-2013, 23:11
I'm section hiking from Springer to Damascus in April and I'm bringing my old Camptrails McKinley out of retirement. I've seen nothing available now that is as versatile for the weight and capacity. When I first started loading it up I thought it was small so I bought a Jansport Carson 80 on sale and surprise, surprise.....my old warhorse is actually bigger and roomier, with more pockets! I just have to pare down my load. Of course, if you can get your weight down below 17 lbs, you might benefit from an ultralight pack like ULA makes, but then don't come asking us old timers with our externals to borrow a layer of clothing because your ultralight butt is freezing off, either.....grin. Welcome to the club, my friend. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Grampie
01-09-2013, 23:38
I used my 1974 Kelty on my 2001 thru. I replaced the belts with new Kelty stuff and added sholder lift straps. It worked just fine except one zipper being replaced. I have thought about getting something newer but have never seen a bag that gives me the Kelty features so I just keep using it.

topshelf
01-10-2013, 10:34
PM'd you BuckeyeBill

RCBear
01-13-2013, 21:06
Nothing wrong with an external, however the internal framed packs of today shouldn't be dismissed so easily. You should check out the larger sized offerings from Gregory or Osprey. I have the Barltoto 65 from Gregory and I can tell you that it is far from being a duffle bag with shoulder and waist straps. It can handle 40 to 60 pounds like a dream, has plenty of pockets and lash points although I can't see needing the latter except in winter climbing. I will be using it for a 10 day no resupply hike in Maine this year and I would expect it to carry far more comfortable than an external pack because it has a greater ability to move with you over varying terrain. My suggestion would be to go to a quality outfitter and try internal and external packs side by side with 30 pounds. Walk around for a bit with each and see how they feel. Of course if you are planning to do a thru I would expect that you would prefer a lighter smaller volume pack and will be caring under 30 pounds. I carried an external for years when I was younger and wouldn't dream of ever going back to one. Good luck and choose wisely. It's definitely a piece of gear that you dont want to compromise on

bigcranky
01-13-2013, 21:13
I'm afraid your opinion of internal frame packs is misguided. While an external frame may be what you end up liking, it should not be because you overlook other usable options. There are many 2-3 pound internal frame packs that will carry a thru-hiker's load in great comfort. Nothing at all like a duffel bag with straps.

BuckeyeBill
01-15-2013, 01:17
Nothing wrong with an external, however the internal framed packs of today shouldn't be dismissed so easily. You should check out the larger sized offerings from Gregory or Osprey. I have the Barltoto 65 from Gregory and I can tell you that it is far from being a duffle bag with shoulder and waist straps. It can handle 40 to 60 pounds like a dream, has plenty of pockets and lash points although I can't see needing the latter except in winter climbing. I will be using it for a 10 day no resupply hike in Maine this year and I would expect it to carry far more comfortable than an external pack because it has a greater ability to move with you over varying terrain. My suggestion would be to go to a quality outfitter and try internal and external packs side by side with 30 pounds. Walk around for a bit with each and see how they feel. Of course if you are planning to do a thru I would expect that you would prefer a lighter smaller volume pack and will be caring under 30 pounds. I carried an external for years when I was younger and wouldn't dream of ever going back to one. Good luck and choose wisely. It's definitely a piece of gear that you dont want to compromise on

Thanks for the response. My options and opinion is still open on the subject.

BuckeyeBill
01-15-2013, 01:20
I'm afraid your opinion of internal frame packs is misguided. While an external frame may be what you end up liking, it should not be because you overlook other usable options. There are many 2-3 pound internal frame packs that will carry a thru-hiker's load in great comfort. Nothing at all like a duffel bag with straps.

Thatnks again Ken. I am stil mulling this over, I stul have to get the pack, and Know how much better my pack felt with an external frame. I also like the full padded waist belt of the Kelty.

Biil

RCBear
01-15-2013, 07:09

Thatnks again Ken. I am stil mulling this over, I stul have to get the pack, and Know how much better my pack felt with an external frame. I also like the full padded waist belt of the Kelty.

Biil

Most of the internal packs in the comparable size you are probably considering have full padded hip belts, along with pockets on the hip belt for quick access to smaller important items, including Kelty's Red Cloud and Coyote series, both internal. Here is a link that shows the pack I chose as well as comparables and their specifications and field tested reviews. Again, not looking to steer you away way from an external pack, but looking to show that they are extremely well rounded and versatile. Welcome back to the trail!

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews#bicreview

jburgasser
01-15-2013, 08:51
After many years of being away from hiking, I am returning with the desire to hike the AT in a year from now. Being old school so to speak I am looking at the Kelty Trekker 65 Backpack. I like the design of the 65 and the numerous outer pockets. I am looking for other opinions and will keep an open mind to all who reply. Thanks in advance.

I used 2 different internal frame packs on 2 week-long section hikes, my father-in-law bought a Trekker 65 and likes it. Then I bought a Trekker 65 and I love it for the A.T. I won't speak negatively about the internals, but I do love my Kelty Trekker 65.

Ickybod

bigcranky
01-15-2013, 08:57

Biil

No worries, Bill. Choose what you prefer. If there is a good outfitter nearby, you can take your gear and wear some packs around the shop. If not, there may be some Whiteblaze members nearby who can demo some packs for you.

People have successfully hiked the trail with all sorts of gear. That said, if you get a hundred experienced long distance hikers together and look at their gear, it would be remarkably similar. Not because we're all sheep (baaaaaa), but because certain things work well. Not all exactly the same, of course, but within broad categories, very similar. Remarkably like this list, actually (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4).

If you are up for the drive down to north Georgia, you can do a long weekend near Amicalola Falls State Park. April or May is a nice time. The lodge at AFSP is great, or there are campgrounds at several state parks. Do some day hiking - like the southbound climb of Blood Mountain, which is a lot of fun -- and stop into the best long distance hiking outfitter around, the Walasiyi Center at Neels Gap, right smack on the trail. The folks there know what they are about, and are happy to help, no purchase necessary. You can try on specialized gear that is not available at your local shops, figure out what fits and what you need, and go home much better prepared even if you buy nothing. Just tell them you are an aspiring thru-hiker. Great folks.

Good luck.

BuckeyeBill
01-20-2013, 05:38
No worries, Bill. Choose what you prefer. If there is a good outfitter nearby, you can take your gear and wear some packs around the shop. If not, there may be some Whiteblaze members nearby who can demo some packs for you.

People have successfully hiked the trail with all sorts of gear. That said, if you get a hundred experienced long distance hikers together and look at their gear, it would be remarkably similar. Not because we're all sheep (baaaaaa), but because certain things work well. Not all exactly the same, of course, but within broad categories, very similar. Remarkably like this list, actually (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4).

If you are up for the drive down to north Georgia, you can do a long weekend near Amicalola Falls State Park. April or May is a nice time. The lodge at AFSP is great, or there are campgrounds at several state parks. Do some day hiking - like the southbound climb of Blood Mountain, which is a lot of fun -- and stop into the best long distance hiking outfitter around, the Walasiyi Center at Neels Gap, right smack on the trail. The folks there know what they are about, and are happy to help, no purchase necessary. You can try on specialized gear that is not available at your local shops, figure out what fits and what you need, and go home much better prepared even if you buy nothing. Just tell them you are an aspiring thru-hiker. Great folks.

Good luck.

Thanks Again Ken. I still have to make it through a surgery I have scheduled next week. If all goes well, I will be on Springer Mountain on April 1.

Pendragon
01-20-2013, 08:36
Hey Bill, I'm starting the same day; we two old steam punk geezers can stand together while the rucksack crowd makes fun of us. Mine is an old Camp Trails McKinley (which I actually carried to Mt McKinley 30 yrs ago).

bigcranky
01-21-2013, 20:53
Might see you out there. We're talking about a spring break section starting that weekend. It would be my 4th time hiking the state of Georgia. Fun times.

Tramp
02-02-2013, 07:29
I have a trekker 65 and like it. I have trimmed a few oz off of it and it weighs about 4 1/2 lbs. I use it more for overnight trips with my grandkids so I can carry some of their gear than for extended hiking alone. For me the extra weight of the pack is the drawback. If I am hiking with anything over 30 Lbs I'll use the Kelty. For a thru hike (which I have not done yet) I want something lighter.

Ok.. can you tell us what you did to cut the weight down ? I have the kelty trekker 65 as well. I love the pack but it is a bit heavy. I thought about doing a few things to mine to cut some weight like removing the top cross bar, trimming down some of the straps....maybe you could post a cool video of " kelty made lighter "