PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Solo Tent

lucky duck
01-09-2013, 00:14
This is for completed thru-hikers only. If you had to do it again, knowing what you now know, and after no doubt seeing a lot of tents on the trail, which solo tent would you carry on your next AT thru-hike? And why?

This will help me with my gear selection and I thought it would be fun to phrase the question this way.

And, yes, I know there is no perfect tent. But we keep trying, don't we?

Thanks.

lucky duck
01-09-2013, 00:45
Woops--I meant to add to the above post that the "perfect" AT solo tent should cost no more than $350 (my absolute max. budget). Therefore, no CF.

Thanks again.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2013, 02:30
Well, I've owned a lot of tents and seen a lot of them on the trial. I'm also in the market for a new tent. My current choice?

SMD Skyscape Trekker http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html

Why? Mostly I like the "A frame" design and the long, skinny foot print. I have been using a SMD Lunar Solo, but I find that design has some flaws. It looks to me that the Trekker will be easier and quicker to set up then the Solo and I'll have less trouble with my feet or head rubbing against the side of the tent, which is very close in the Solo, due to the slope of the walls. There's a lot to like about the Skyscape's design. Will let you know how it works out, say, the end of May :)

Red Hat
01-09-2013, 02:35
Lightheart Gear Solo (www.lightheartgear.com) Under 2 lbs. uses trekking poles, easy to set up. I recommend adding a wedge to help avoid condensation.

jj2044
01-09-2013, 03:07
i like the http://sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html easy set up. quick set up also.

swjohnsey
01-09-2013, 10:00
Lotsa Big Anges Flycreek UL1s. Mine worked out well. Slightly under 2 lbs.

Mags
01-09-2013, 10:08
If I did the AT again, I would not take a tent. :)

garlic08
01-09-2013, 10:21
If there were a perfect tent, there would only be one tent. There is no such thing.

I have a lot of miles on my Tarptent Contrail (http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html), including an AT thru hike. I have no plans on changing any time soon. Some of the newer Tarptent designs are tempting, but I like the rugged simplicity of the Contrail. Tarptent has excellent customer service.

Lando11
01-09-2013, 12:22
I would also not go with a tent if I were to do the AT again. Hammock all day!

But, if I was to tent I would probably switch over to a SMD skyscape trekker. I used a Lunar Solo for most of my journey, but I like the hybrid single/double wall design of the skyscape. It offers better ventilation and has higher walls for a little bit more space.

You could go with a CF option tho. The z-packs heximid solo is right around $300, but the extended beak would push the total over the $350 mark.
http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

canoe
01-09-2013, 12:44
If I did the AT again, I would not take a tent. :)

What would you take instead? Just a tarp? What would you do about the bugs? Net? Interested

Lone Wolf
01-09-2013, 12:45
this is the perfect one for me. been using it for years

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/canyonlands/

Thirsty DPD
01-09-2013, 12:57
this is the perfect one for me. been using it for years

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/canyonlands/

I have many yrs, miles, & nites on my Canyonland, it has served me & held up really well.

Thirsty DPD
01-09-2013, 13:03
I'm presently using a TT Moment, slightly lighter & more compact then my Canyonland. I deal w/ more condensation in the Moment, but so far not a big deal.

Hikes in Rain
01-09-2013, 13:08
Cool, that's what I have, when I'm not just using a tarp. Idly looked at ways to lighten it up a little, like replacing the pole and stakes with carbon fiber and titanium, respectively. Most likely would cost more than the tent!

BrianLe
01-09-2013, 14:02
Depends on start time. If starting more or less with the herd, I'd go with a Lightheart Solo (but recognize that almost no one has experience with a really wide range of current-model tents).
I started well ahead of the herd when I hiked (late Feb) and in that context, something lighter, more minimal would be my preference, on the theory that I'd sleep in shelters most of the time (which is what I did). My hiking partner carried an SMD Wild Oasis and that seemed to be about right.

evyck da fleet
01-09-2013, 14:18
Hiked with a BA Flycreek UL1 this year. If forced to carry a tent, I'd carry the same. If I hiked the AT again I'd probably go with a hammock(which I'd have to buy first). The ones I tried out were way more comfortable then sleeping on hard ground and it seems like I'd have way more camping options between shelters with a hammock.

Old Hiker
01-09-2013, 14:23
I have my second LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 - got the colors, awning and double doors I wanted. I really like it. My first one was a single door, gold color, awning. I have a review (First Impressions) under Gear Reviews here on White Blaze. Here in FL though, I get a LOT of condensation. Just too humid right now. By a lot, I mean more than I am used to. Nothing I would use to NOT buy this tent again. I have the awning with both, plus a LightHeart Gear awning pole and the adjustable tent poles they sell.

Mags
01-09-2013, 14:27
What would you take instead? Just a tarp? What would you do about the bugs? Net? Interested

I like the wild oasis out here, but I prefer cowboy camping mainly. So only use the Wild Oasis when I have to.

For the rainier East, I may take an 8x10 tarp with some simple bug netting as needed.

Though when I did the BMT in 2009, I did take the Wild Oasis..so who knows.

SCRUB HIKER
01-09-2013, 15:50
I don't think I plan on thru-hiking the AT again, but if I did it and did it NOBO, I would take a hammock. There are so many stinking hot nights in the summer where the coolness and camp-anywhere simplicity of a hammock would be so nice. It would outweigh the negatives of being a little chilly and having to pack a lot of insulation at the beginning and/or end of the trip.

It's worth noting that cuben fiber tents can be under $350. I just bought a Zpacks Hexamid Solo very lightly used, plus a Tyvek groundsheet, for $260 off the sale forum on this site. I'm not on Backpackinglight but I've heard they have a very active gear-swap forum too. I haven't used my new toy yet so I have no idea whether this is my ideal tent, but my point is that you can't rule out cuben fiber because of the price--you just have to look around.

jeffmeh
01-09-2013, 15:54
My son used a Tarptent Rainbow and was happy with it. He was ahead of the pack and rarely needed to use the tent, but felt that it was not much of a weight penalty for when he needed it. If he had to do it again, he thinks he would for the same weight go for a Tarptent Squall 2 and get even more room.

That said, I think very highly of Tarptent, Lightheart Gear, and Six Moon Designs. My biggest concern is having enough space to keep from touching the tent fabric, given the length and the slope of the tent.

The Solemates
01-09-2013, 16:38
of the tents available today, i'd probably take a big agnes. I'd take the UL 2-man because i currently own it. if i were buying I may go with the 1-man for a thru, but I am rather large so I'd have to try it out first. i like my 2-man for my 3-5 day hikes, and it is more versatile if wife and/or kids go with me.

colorado_rob
01-09-2013, 16:47
of the tents available today, i'd probably take a big agnes. Yep, +1. I keep looking, but I simply cannot find a conventional material (ie: non-Cuben fiber) tent that weighs much less than the BA UL1 tent, given the weights they quote for the tarp tents don't include the pole and seem to require the extra ground sheet (I never use an extra ground sheet with my conventional tents, like the BA UL2 that I have). Just under 2 lbs for the BA UL1, including guy lines and 7 Ti stakes, conventional double-wall tent. What net advantage does a single-wall tarp tent have that weighs the same or merely a couple ounces less, all said and done? I'm following this thread closely to see if there is anything convincing, but for now, the BA Fly Creek UL1 seems the winner.

swjohnsey
01-09-2013, 19:33
Look for the Big Agnes Fly Creek on ebay. I got a used one, only been set up inside, complete with footprint for $180.

Hot Sauce 2011
01-09-2013, 22:23
+1 for Big Agnes... Great score Johnsey!

lucky duck
01-09-2013, 23:36
Well, this is an interesting discussion. So far, here are the tents that have received more than one "vote":

Big Agnes UL1 5
SMD Skyscape Trekker 2
Lightheart Solo 2
N.F. Canyonlands 2
Tarptent Moment 2

I don't know if I can change the design criteria at this late date, but here goes. The hypothetical "perfect" solo AT tent must be side entrance (to accomodate old guys) and must weigh less than 2.5 lbs (with poles and stakes) (less than 2 lbs. total is preferred and gets extra points).

The Big Agnes UL1 is tempting but gets excluded because of front entry. I'm impressed with the showing this tent has received, tho. I sure wish that my back could get comfortable with the front entry but I'm afraid that won't happen. The N.F. Canyonlands gets excluded on the basis of weight (3lbs. 7oz.).

At a minimum, based on the comments I have received to date, and given the new design specifications mentioned above, it looks like I should be narrowing my search to SMD, Tarptent and Lightheart.

Any additional comments or submissions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

InTheWind
01-10-2013, 00:00
How about the SL1?

InTheWind
01-10-2013, 00:02
How about the SL1?

Sorry, not as a suggestion to meet your requirements but just curious of people's take on this model.

colorado_rob
01-10-2013, 00:04
How about the SL1? I am curious, what is an "SL1" ? what brand? You're not talking about the Big Agnes Seedhouse Light 1, are you? If so, front entry, just like the fly creek UL1.

lucky duck
01-10-2013, 00:25
OK, I have inadventetly caused some UL1 confusion. The BA Fly Creek UL1 is front entry so it's out of the competition.

There is a BA Cooper Spur UL1 that is side entry. BA lists the weight as Trail Wt. 2lbs. 6oz., Packed Wt. 2lbs. 12 oz., and Fast Fly Weight 1lb. 14 oz. What on earth do all those different weights mean? It seems to me that one would always want to use a rain fly (I assume that's what is meant by "fast fly weight") so, no matter what, the total tent would be outside the ideal weight perameters discussed earlier. Please clarify all this for me.

swjohnsey
01-10-2013, 08:47
Trail weight is what you will end up carrying.

colorado_rob
01-10-2013, 09:30
OK, I have inadventetly caused some UL1 confusion. The BA Fly Creek UL1 is front entry so it's out of the competition.

There is a BA Cooper Spur UL1 that is side entry. BA lists the weight as Trail Wt. 2lbs. 6oz., Packed Wt. 2lbs. 12 oz., and Fast Fly Weight 1lb. 14 oz. What on earth do all those different weights mean? It seems to me that one would always want to use a rain fly (I assume that's what is meant by "fast fly weight") so, no matter what, the total tent would be outside the ideal weight perameters discussed earlier. Please clarify all this for me. I think we all got the side-entry thing, hence why I was asking why inthewind asked about the "SL1", so no confusion here, but yes, those various weights are confusing... If you go to the tent on REI, click the spec tab and the little question marks, it tells you what those mean.

The "minimum trail weight" is a tad mis-leading because that would not include the stuff sacks, guy lines and stakes, just the tent body, fly and poles. It is a good start though, because there is really light spectra cordage and Titanium stakes out there. I get by with only 3 extra ounces for these items. I also use a 0.7 ounce sil-nylon stuff sack for my tent, meaning If I carried the BA copper Spur UL1, I'd be just barely over you 2.5 pound bogey, call it 2#-10oz. HOWEVER, you can't always trust those weight specs, might be an ounce or two over what they quote. Buy one at an REI, weight it along with the lightest cords, sack and stakes you can find, and if too heavy, return the tent and keep looking. I think the copper spur is an excellent tent, my son has one and I've used it.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 10:28
OK, ... What on earth do all those different weights mean? It seems to me that one would always want to use a rain fly (I assume that's what is meant by "fast fly weight") so, no matter what, the total tent would be outside the ideal weight perameters discussed earlier. Please clarify all this for me.

Fast fly weight is the rain fly with a foot print. No tent body.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lucky duck
01-10-2013, 11:27
Apparently we all need to be careful of quoted weights. I just watched a Big Agnes promotional video (prepared by Big Agnes) and they state that the "trail weight of the Cooper Spur UL1 is 3lbs. 1oz." That is quite a bit different than their website which sets forth a trail weight of 2lbs. 6oz.

RETCW4
01-10-2013, 12:05
Well, this is an interesting discussion. So far, here are the tents that have received more than one "vote":

Big Agnes UL1 5
SMD Skyscape Trekker 2
Lightheart Solo 2
N.F. Canyonlands 2
Tarptent Moment 2

I don't know if I can change the design criteria at this late date, but here goes. The hypothetical "perfect" solo AT tent must be side entrance (to accomodate old guys) and must weigh less than 2.5 lbs (with poles and stakes) (less than 2 lbs. total is preferred and gets extra points).

The Big Agnes UL1 is tempting but gets excluded because of front entry. I'm impressed with the showing this tent has received, tho. I sure wish that my back could get comfortable with the front entry but I'm afraid that won't happen. The N.F. Canyonlands gets excluded on the basis of weight (3lbs. 7oz.).

At a minimum, based on the comments I have received to date, and given the new design specifications mentioned above, it looks like I should be narrowing my search to SMD, Tarptent and Lightheart.

Any additional comments or submissions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I own both the BA Seedhouse SL1 and Lightheart Gear Solo. I like the BA because it's bombproof, but as you stated it's easier for me to enter the Lightheart through the side. Both are good tents IMO.

The Solemates
01-10-2013, 12:53
by the time you add in everything you need to set up the "tarp-tent" type tents (SMD, Lightheart, Tarptent) like stakes, hiking poles, extra poles, cordage, etc....then they end up weighing even more than the Big Agnes. That's why I chose BA.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 13:11
by the time you add in everything you need to set up the "tarp-tent" type tents (SMD, Lightheart, Tarptent) like stakes, hiking poles, extra poles, cordage, etc....then they end up weighing even more than the Big Agnes. That's why I chose BA.

My BA FC2 uses at least 9 stakes, my Lightheart so long 6 uses 6 stakes, my TT rain shadow 2 uses 5 stakes. I carry hiking poles either way. I don't need to take anything else with either of them, and both go up much quicker than my BA FC2. So I guess I don't get your point.

jeffmeh
01-10-2013, 13:58

I don't believe that is the case for Tarptent (Henry Shires), as the weights quoted are the full trail weights as far as I know. Now, the ones that use hiking poles obviously do not include the weight of the poles, which is relevant if you normally don't carry poles. Also, a foot print is really not needed, so not included. Other than that, all I can think of is the additional weight of the seam sealer.

I would go for a Tarptent Notch before a BA UL1, but much of this is personal preference. About the same area, lower price, more headroom, lighter, double wall, dual side entries, and as of 2013 all 4 panels can be rolled up for maximum ventilation.

Lyle
01-10-2013, 16:09
Wild Oasis for me on most trips. Light, compact, plenty of protection.

The Solemates
01-10-2013, 17:14
My BA FC2 uses at least 9 stakes, my Lightheart so long 6 uses 6 stakes, my TT rain shadow 2 uses 5 stakes. I carry hiking poles either way. I don't need to take anything else with either of them, and both go up much quicker than my BA FC2. So I guess I don't get your point.

I don't believe that is the case for Tarptent (Henry Shires), as the weights quoted are the full trail weights as far as I know. Now, the ones that use hiking poles obviously do not include the weight of the poles, which is relevant if you normally don't carry poles. Also, a foot print is really not needed, so not included. Other than that, all I can think of is the additional weight of the seam sealer.

I would go for a Tarptent Notch before a BA UL1, but much of this is personal preference. About the same area, lower price, more headroom, lighter, double wall, dual side entries, and as of 2013 all 4 panels can be rolled up for maximum ventilation.

This is why I said its why I chose BA. I see poles as unecessary added weight as well and do not carry them.

The Solemates
01-10-2013, 17:19

The UL2 and UL1 are fully staked out with only 8 stakes: 4 for the tent body corners, 2 for the side rain fly, and 2 for the front vestibule - but you only really need 6. The front two for the tent body are not needed because they have poles forcing them outwards. But I often hike with no stakes. A 6" long twig about 0.5" in diameter works just as good as a stake, and weighs nothing :)

colorado_rob
01-10-2013, 17:45
The UL2 and UL1 are fully staked out with only 8 stakes: 4 for the tent body corners, 2 for the side rain fly, and 2 for the front vestibule - but you only really need 6. The front two for the tent body are not needed because they have poles forcing them outwards. But I often hike with no stakes. A 6" long twig about 0.5" in diameter works just as good as a stake, and weighs nothing :) Just FWIW, on my BA fly creek UL, I use exactly six stakes as well, 2 for the back corners (not held outward by poles), two for the side guy-outs, and two for the vestibule. Perfect, taut pitch every time and this takes only 2-3 minutes. I cannot imagine an easier, double-wall tent to set up. My stakes are ultralight Ti and weight 0.2 ounces each, total weight = 1.2 oz. Twigs would indeed save this 1.2 oz, but carrying these stakes are part of my "luxury" items.

If the tarptent notch has a double wall, then why is it called a "tarp tent" anyway? What, these days, distinguishes a "tarp tent" from a standard tent? The pole configuration, perhaps, ie trekking poles vs. std. poles ?

Colter
01-10-2013, 17:55
I agree that there is no best or perfect tent but that said I'd probably take my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Bomber for rain with bug netting and a built-in floor, both nice to have on the AT.

jeffmeh
01-10-2013, 18:02
If the tarptent notch has a double wall, then why is it called a "tarp tent" anyway? What, these days, distinguishes a "tarp tent" from a standard tent? The pole configuration, perhaps, ie trekking poles vs. std. poles ?

Good question, lol. Henry named his company Tarptent, but he makes both single and double wall shelters. In his case, it is a Tarptent because he makes it.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 18:20
The UL2 and UL1 are fully staked out with only 8 stakes: 4 for the tent body corners, 2 for the side rain fly, and 2 for the front vestibule - but you only really need 6. The front two for the tent body are not needed because they have poles forcing them outwards. But I often hike with no stakes. A 6" long twig about 0.5" in diameter works just as good as a stake, and weighs nothing :)

If you want a weather secure pitch, full space in the tent, and maximum length, you need nine. If you want to give up any of the above, you can use less. But the same is true for any tent. Same with the sticks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

colorado_rob
01-10-2013, 20:55
If you want a weather secure pitch, full space in the tent, and maximum length, you need nine.
Sorry, this is just not true, at least the "space" and "length" part. You can fully stake out a BA Fly creek, no sacrafice in interior space or length whatsoever with six stakes. The poles hold the other three points at their full extension, so putting stakes there is redundant. And below treeline, I feel completely comfortable with the holding power of six. Above treeline, I would add the extra three.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 21:10
Sorry, this is just not true, at least the "space" and "length" part. You can fully stake out a BA Fly creek, no sacrafice in interior space or length whatsoever with six stakes. The poles hold the other three points at their full extension, so putting stakes there is redundant. And below treeline, I feel completely comfortable with the holding power of six. Above treeline, I would add the extra three.

Whatever, I get at least 2 or 3 inches in length by staking the pole ends, but if you have enough room with out, that's great.

Also if you have to carry the extra stakes just in case, what's the point?

I do have more than a few miles in with my FC2'

lucky duck
01-10-2013, 22:00
Follow-up questions re SMD tents--

SLO-GO'EN--You said that you had a SMD Lunar Solo on most of your hike but that you would take a SMD Skyscape Trekker next time. What were the flaws you experienced with the LS?

COLTER--You write in favor of the SMD Lunar Solo and I note that you have an impressive hiking resume. On how many of those hikes did you carry your LS?

jj2044--You also write in favor of the SMD Lunar Solo and specifically say that it is easy to set-up. How long on average did it take to set up? Comments on this from other LS people would also be appreciated.

Lastly, I note that LANDO II says that he took a SMD Lunar Solo on his thru-hike but would take a SMD Skyscape Trekker next time around.

This is an interesting and lively discussion. I'm learning a lot.

P.S. I have yet to hear anyone suggest that they would not buy a SMD tent again.

Mr Breeze
01-10-2013, 22:12
I used a 10x10 Sil Nylon Tarp on my thru last year. Would never go back to a tent. It kept me fully protected, and gave me some great views. As well as multiple setup options. It was my first time using a tarp, and i was concerned about bugs. But they were never a problem.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2013, 22:55
Follow-up questions re SMD tents--

SLO-GO'EN--You said that you had a SMD Lunar Solo on most of your hike but that you would take a SMD Skyscape Trekker next time. What were the flaws you experienced with the LS?

The biggest problem I have is that it is a little short for me and I'm only 5 11. The foot of my bag tends to rub up against the side of the tent and wick water into it. The walls of the tent are at a very accute angle near the head/feet which doesn't give you much leeway. There are tie out points on the side of the walls to pull them out, but rarely is there anything convenient near-by to tie them off too.

The fabric also has a tendency to sag and collect water in the back corners when it starts to rain. Once it starts to rain, you don't want to have to go back out and redo the tension on the guys. Finally, the foot print is kinda big due to the conical shape which makes finding a good spot to put it a little difficult in some situations.

As for set up, I always have to do it twice. I set out the stakes, put up the center pole and then have to go around and re-do all the stakes to get the shape right. I'd guess I spend 10 minutes fussing around with it before it's right.

On the whole, I've been happy with the tent and have spent many a night in it. I think I've had mine since '07. It's reasonably roomy and if your careful not to rub your head against the sides while you sit up, you can put on shirts or jackets easy enough. At the time I bought it, there weren't many other choices for a tent of that light weight.

I have an old EMS "A frame" tent which I like except it weighs 5 pounds. I've been looking on and off for a similer style tent and finally found it in the Skyscape. The long, skinny foot print should make finding spots to put it up easier and there looks to be more clearance at the head and foot to reduce the chance of wicking water in. I also like the way the poles are inside and can be re-adjusted if needed without going outside and that both sides open up for ventilation. Set up also looks quicker and easier than the L.S. Finally, the 80% double wall with the netting should reduce condensation problems. As you can tell, I'm sold on it.

I was also looking at the Tarptent "Sublite", which is also an A frame design. Unfortunetly, it's made of Tyvek and apparently can absorb water. It doesn't have much ventilation. But what really puts me off is the white color. Great if your camping out in the sun, but not a very good stealth color.

lucky duck
01-11-2013, 00:36
Thanks, Slo-go'en, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Careful analysis by hikers like you that have spent many nights on trail with their tent and know the pros and cons. Thanks!

Colter
01-11-2013, 00:57
Follow-up questions re SMD tents--...
COLTER--You write in favor of the SMD Lunar Solo and I note that you have an impressive hiking resume. On how many of those hikes did you carry your LS?...

I carried the Lunar Solo the last half of the CDT, in Washington on the PCT, and I've also used it in the Boundary Waters and in the Brooks Range of Alaska and a few other places where a dependable shelter is important.

The 2012 model has been slightly redesigned to make it better for taller people. I would stake out the ends and personally never had a problem with room near the foot of my bag, even with the older version.

There's a tensioning device that can be easily reached without getting out of your sleeping bag to take up the slack if the shelter is sagging.

A good pitch takes practice. For me the Lunar Solo is one of the best shelters made.

stranger
01-11-2013, 08:11
The Lunar Solo redesign basically increased the internal height by 3 inches, and angled the pole into the sleeping area to get the peak more in the middle of the tent, this means both more headroom and steeper walls. Also the floor length was increased to 7.5 feet, and the mesh walls are now vertical, also the bathtub floor is now 6 inches deep. I think it's huge improvement from the old model, and many people are happy with the old Lunar Solo as well.

Pages
01-11-2013, 10:10
Yep, +1. I keep looking, but I simply cannot find a conventional material (ie: non-Cuben fiber) tent that weighs much less than the BA UL1 tent, given the weights they quote for the tarp tents don't include the pole and seem to require the extra ground sheet (I never use an extra ground sheet with my conventional tents, like the BA UL2 that I have). Just under 2 lbs for the BA UL1, including guy lines and 7 Ti stakes, conventional double-wall tent. What net advantage does a single-wall tarp tent have that weighs the same or merely a couple ounces less, all said and done? I'm following this thread closely to see if there is anything convincing, but for now, the BA Fly Creek UL1 seems the winner.

check out the ba copper spur ul1. same as the fly creek but with side opening. i prefer it.

pages

The Solemates
01-11-2013, 12:50

I've been above treeline many times, and have also been snowed on, rained on, sleeted on, high winds - you name it - with this tent and never had a problem with 6 (or fewer) stakes.

Whatever, I get at least 2 or 3 inches in length by staking the pole ends, but if you have enough room with out, that's great.

Also if you have to carry the extra stakes just in case, what's the point?

I do have more than a few miles in with my FC2'

I'm 6'4" and dont have a problem with the length (although I usually do sleep with the door completely open unless bugs are an issue). I dont see how adding 1 extra stake at the foot buys 2-3 inches when the corners are staked, but I've never tried, so if you say so...

And carrying extra anything "just in case" is not something I ever do:)

bfayer
01-11-2013, 13:17
I've been above treeline many times, and have also been snowed on, rained on, sleeted on, high winds - you name it - with this tent and never had a problem with 6 (or fewer) stakes.

I'm 6'4" and dont have a problem with the length (although I usually do sleep with the door completely open unless bugs are an issue). I dont see how adding 1 extra stake at the foot buys 2-3 inches when the corners are staked, but I've never tried, so if you say so...

And carrying extra anything "just in case" is not something I ever do:)

I'm 6'3". It's not just the one stake at the foot. You stake out the front corners, then the rear corners, pulling tension on the body, the silnylon will stretch out, then you stake out the pole at the center foot. If you don't stake out the front corners and only stake the fly, you will get what looks like a taught pitch, but you won't get the full length. The only other way to only to use 6 stakes is to not stake the pull outs on the sides, in that case you loose a lot of living space. Of course I only use one stake on each side, not the two they give you. So I'll stand by my comment that for the most room and weather protection you need nine, but like any tent you can use fewer if you are willing to give something up.

If you are not carrying the extra stakes, then the extra weight is a non issue. I think Colorado rob said he could always use the extra stakes if the weather was bad, my only point was if you are carrying them then it doesn't matter if you use them or not, the weight is still there.

My only other issue with the FC2 is it is a pain in the behind to clip the fly to the side of the body.

Anyway, the FC is a great tent, and is way better and lighter than most of the competition.

padamowicz
01-11-2013, 14:05
I know its a more expensive tent but does anyone have any good/bad experience with "Sea to Summit" Solo tents.

colorado_rob
01-11-2013, 14:45
Well, no sense in arguing any more over .3 ounces of two extra stakes for the BA fly creeks... I'm a mere 6'1" so perhaps I just never noticed it not being stretched properly??? I do not carry the extra two stakes UNLESS I'm heading up above treeline. Above treeline in Colorado is a tad different than open areas back east, having spent a lot of time in both places.

One other pitching aspect I've found for the fly creek, is the side pull-outs. They do work with simple stakes. But they work better if you can orient the tent between a couple of trees (not hard to do on the AT!), and string the guy lines high to any available branches. This tends to double wall side separated better, nice in heavy rains. If there is any flaw to the Fly Creek, it is the geometry of these side tie-outs. (of course, there is the end-entry thing, important to a lot of folks, but not to me for solo use).

bfayer
01-11-2013, 15:00
Well, no sense in arguing any more over .3 ounces of two extra stakes for the BA fly creeks... I'm a mere 6'1" so perhaps I just never noticed it not being stretched properly??? I do not carry the extra two stakes UNLESS I'm heading up above treeline. Above treeline in Colorado is a tad different than open areas back east, having spent a lot of time in both places.

One other pitching aspect I've found for the fly creek, is the side pull-outs. They do work with simple stakes. But they work better if you can orient the tent between a couple of trees (not hard to do on the AT!), and string the guy lines high to any available branches. This tends to double wall side separated better, nice in heavy rains. If there is any flaw to the Fly Creek, it is the geometry of these side tie-outs. (of course, there is the end-entry thing, important to a lot of folks, but not to me for solo use).

I agree no two setups are ideal for everyone. I have thought about tieing the sides to trees, but I have not been in the ideal situation to try it.

My wife gave me a So long 6, so that will be my goto solo tent for now. My son is getting to big for us to fit comfortably in the FC2, so we will be using the TT Rain shadow II more often.

If I did not use hiking poles, I would probably pick up an FC3. Very good tent for the weight, even with the front entry.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the FC has a very small packed size, (almost as important to me as weight).

The Solemates
01-11-2013, 15:25
Well, no sense in arguing any more over .3 ounces of two extra stakes for the BA fly creeks...

i may not carry the stakes, but i always have a half pound book with me :)

StylinLP38
01-11-2013, 17:54
My choice right now is between these two. Not sure which I will get yet.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent - Only 23 ounces
30D Silicone Nylon
6-inch deep bathtub floor, topped by 6 inches of mesh

LightHeart SoLong 6
CORDURA® Brand 1.1 oz. silicone impregnated rip-stop nylon
8 inch bathtub floor

maybe clem
01-11-2013, 23:38
MSR Hubba. Sets up in under 2 minutes, it's so quick and easy you can almost do it in your sleep (I've felt like that a few times at the end of a long day). In the rain you can set up the rain fly first then get your stuff underneath it and set up the rest. Freestanding, doesn't require tie-outs or stakes. Easy to relocate if needed and you can even set it up in a shelter. Excellent ventilation. Roomy for 1 person. Can cook in the vestibule if you absolutely have to.

rockyiss
01-12-2013, 22:33
I havn't thru hiked the at yet but have section hiked it . I have a big agness copper spur ul 1. I love it. I just weighed it , total w. was 3.31. thats fly , poles, footprint, tent body and stakes. I like the side entry and the fact I can pick it up to shake the dirt out. I set it up once after a trip and before I got it staked down the kids needed attention ,it blew into a rose bush and tore the fly in several places. I sent it back to big a. and they repaired and sent it right back with no charge. I try to make up the weight with my other stuff because I really like my tent .

drifter
01-12-2013, 23:12
Used several over the years, currently using a BA FC2 the last couple and love it, can't beat the spac e for the weight

handlebar
01-13-2013, 20:18
Another vote for SMD Wild Oasis. Used for all of CDT and for Mid State Trail in PA last spring. Got 18 inches of snow and tent was OK, though I did have to slap the sides to make the heavy wet snow slide off. Have also had it in high winds. Of course, this is not really a tent. It's a shaped tarp, but with a tyvek ground sheet (which I carry anyhow for cowboy camping) it serves the purpose. It offered sanctuary in the Winds and Yellowstone when I hiked thru shortly after snowmelt in '11. The netting fringe really worked well.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2013, 17:47
I just ordered the SMD skyscape Trekker from antigravity gear.

I needed to get a new Caldora cone and stove as I wore out the setup I had. It lasted a long time, but it can't last forever.

Then I noticed they had the Skyscape with free stakes, Tyvak footprint and shipping. It was a no brainer to add the tent to the order :)

Maybe I'll try to set it up in the snow when it gets here. I'm not likely to see bare ground until I go to Georgia in April!

jeffmeh
01-14-2013, 18:45
I just ordered the SMD skyscape Trekker from antigravity gear.

I needed to get a new Caldora cone and stove as I wore out the setup I had. It lasted a long time, but it can't last forever.

Then I noticed they had the Skyscape with free stakes, Tyvak footprint and shipping. It was a no brainer to add the tent to the order :)

Maybe I'll try to set it up in the snow when it gets here. I'm not likely to see bare ground until I go to Georgia in April!

I'm looking forward to getting your take on the Trekker.

frisbeefreek
01-23-2013, 23:42
I swear by my Tarptent Rainbow. It's not the lightest (34oz), but it's the roomiest, and when you are spending 100+ days in a shelter, a little extra space goes a long way. By way of comparison, it has a floor space of 23-30sqft (closer to 30) vs. the 15-20sqft for many of the other UL tents. Additionally, if you don't carry poles, it's free-standing, and if you do carry poles, you can set it up in the bomb-proof locations (think exposed ridges to catch those beautiful sunsets).

Tinker
01-24-2013, 00:00
I've only completed half of the AT, and that in sections. I have been interested in tent design for years and have made suggestions to several tent manufacturers, some of which have been implemented in their designs. Judy of Lightheart Gear sold me a prototype of her solo tent a few years back and I suggested pullouts around the perimiter to maximize interior volume and increase wind stability. The newer tents have them (she added a clip so you could roll back the fly).

If I wasn't into hammocking, I'd buy one of these for ventilation (with the wedge, which I hinted at but didn't know exactly how to execute - Judy took care of the design).

Whatever tent you choose, remember that you'll be lying down on hot nights in the summer, and often wishing for more ventilation so that air can flow over your body. Too much sidewall height on a bathtub floor and /or solid fabric sides and/or ends will hinder free air flow. In the winter they are just what you'll be wanting, in case wind - driven snow wants to blow through your tent's mesh walls.

So there you have it. By limitation of physics, no tent will be perfect for all conditions and seasons.

I did Georgia to N.C. back in 2006 with my Hilleberg Akto, which I consider to be one of the best winter tents, but it was too warm even in March (it was a warm month that year).

If for some reason I decided to tent, I'd still start with the Akto and switch to something with max. ventilation later.

lucky duck
01-24-2013, 10:33
Frisbeefreak--I assume you are talking about the single person Rainbow, right? How long does it take to set up? Does it have the ventilation Tinker is talking about? I was a little confused about the freestanding comment. Do you mean that you can set it up as a freestanding tent if you use poles laying flat along the ground to tie the corners to? I like to store my pack in the tent at nite. Is there room for it completely inside (I'm 5' 10")? Thanks for your help. I like the Rainbow a lot and that's why I'm asking.

frisbeefreek
01-24-2013, 16:11
Frisbeefreak--I assume you are talking about the single person Rainbow, right? How long does it take to set up? Does it have the ventilation Tinker is talking about? I was a little confused about the freestanding comment. Do you mean that you can set it up as a freestanding tent if you use poles laying flat along the ground to tie the corners to? I like to store my pack in the tent at nite. Is there room for it completely inside (I'm 5' 10")? Thanks for your help. I like the Rainbow a lot and that's why I'm asking.

I'm referring to a 2009 model single person Rainbow (it has a few evolutionary improvements since then). I'm 5'9". There is room to sleep 2 in an emergency. My pack fit easily in the tent, either at my side or at the base of my feet. The vestibule is big enough to keep your pack if you choose. I have over 5000 miles/200 nights in my Rainbow and it still functions perfectly.

The thing I really like about the Rainbow vs. other smaller tents is that I could sit-up on my knees without touching the the sidewalls. Condensation is always an issue in single-wall tents, but the Rainbow has great ventilation due to roominess, and I never needed to worry about my sleeping bag getting wet from touching the sidewall.

Set-up is less than 90-seconds, even in very windy conditions. There are 3 ways to set it up, depending in preferences. The Rainbow has a single center arch pole (about 9 feet long), plus a 2-ft wide spreader at the apex.

1) Use the arch pole, and attach your trekking poles to at either end of the tent. This makes it completely free standing (you can pick-up and move the tent, or set it up on concrete or in a shelter).
2) Use arch pole and stake the 4 corners. The stakes are simply to pull the fabric out, and provide a minimal amount of tension to keep the tent upright. This is how I usually did it.
3) Leave the arch pole at home and use trekking poles to set-up the tent as a pyramid. I never tried this, but the Rainbow comes with grommets to attach the trekking poles.

* In bad weather, you have to stake the vestibule out. In nice weather, I didn't bother and just rolled the fabric out of the way.

I cannot stress how much I like the freestanding feature. It meant that I never had to worry about tent site selection (finding good ground where I can put my stakes). And it was idiot proof - Set-up at 11pm in a raging storm was fuss free. The center arch pole ensures you always have a very taut pitch, crucial in windy conditions.

Here is a video from my hike: https://picasaweb.google.com/108241234654640523618/AppalachianTrail2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCL2HupCJubqh9AE #5487577578335279346

lucky duck
01-24-2013, 18:19
Frisbeefreak--thanks for the great report. I think you have helped me make a decision. Your tent looked like it was doing well in the snow.

Like I said, great report. 5,000 miles and 200 nites affords you huge credibility for your endorsement of the Tarptent Rainbow.

lunatic
01-24-2013, 22:20
SMD Lunar Solo. Still using my 2009 model I took on my 2009 AT thru and my 2012 JMT thru. Never had a problem with it. I've figured out how to set it up on platforms, sand, and rocky terrain. I've heard the new model is even better. I'm 5'11" and there is plenty of room for me, my pack, and everything inside. Never use the vestibule unless for cooking in the rain or snow. I'm sure others mentioned here are just as good or even better, but I tend to stick with what works for me. Sometimes loyal to a fault. Haha.

RockDoc
01-24-2013, 23:38
While I haven't finished Tennessee yet, I've done all the rest and many other sections two or three times, so maybe that counts for something.

On my last trip (VA SOBO in four weeks, 2011) I used the Gateway Cape, even in some severe storms including the tornado storm that killed a bunch of people farther west. It was an acceptable solo shelter if you want to make big miles with a light pack, and I would use it again. Weight savings was great. I spent very few nights of the 26 days in shelters, prefering to fill up with water at a target shelter and then camp in some quiet location (generally on a ridge top) a mile or two further along.

For Maine in 07 (18 days) we used Tarptent Squall (no floor), velcro-attached to Tyvek ground cloth. Worked good even in bad mosquito country (we sprayed it with permetherin). This was for two people.

For GA-NC in 09 (21 days) we used Tarptent Rainbow II, which worked a treat for two people.

Back in the 70's I used an army surplus poncho with grommets in the corners.

Dogwood
01-26-2013, 21:11
For a mid March AT NOBO start date I would take a ZPacks cuben tarp or Mountain Laurel Designs(MLD) 6 oz cuben Grace tarp and a MLD Superlight 7 oz bivy w/ water resistant top of Momentum fabric and bug netting face window. The extra warmth of the bivy would allow me to go to a warmer rated, and hence lighter wt, sleeping bag. I would cowboy camp away from shelters as much as possible without setting up a tarp. I would mix it up a bit by staying at an occasional shelter when weather was really nasty(rainy or snowy). When it got warm I might hang in my customized UL Hennessy hammock.

devil_dog
02-01-2013, 03:10
personally why a tent when you can go hammock? better for recovery and blood flow...http://hennessyhammock.com/