PDA

View Full Version : are frogg toggs windproof?

smokeybones
01-09-2013, 13:31
are frogg toggs windproof?

colorado_rob
01-09-2013, 13:50
Dri Ducks (a type of Frog Toggs) certainly are very much so (although no breathable garment is 100% wind proof, despite claims as such). I find dri ducks to me a nice balance of waterproof, wind proof and still fairly breathable. Not quite up to Goretex standards IMHO, though some think they are.

Old Hiker
01-09-2013, 13:59
Didn't have Dri-Ducks brand, but a similiar product for pants. I wore the pants to keep the wind off and they helped a lot. Had to replace them in Hot Springs, as the seat wore through and they were too large after I lost 25 pounds. Got a set of Outdoor Research rain pants.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2013, 15:23

yes.......

QiWiz
01-09-2013, 16:18

yep, windproof unless/until a hole is torn in them; most tape will make a serviceable repair

Snowleopard
01-09-2013, 16:27
Yes, but they may not be well sealed at neck, wrist or waist. This depends on how they fit, but is easily fixed by sewing a bit of elastic on the waist or wrist.

rich5665
01-09-2013, 17:07
I used the Frogg Togg Poncho great wind breaker and kept the light rain out; but not very breathable I was sweating up a storm after a few hours of hiking.

etboy
01-09-2013, 18:58
I climbed out of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid October, and hurried to get into my motorcycle gear as quickly as possible, as it was just starting to snow. In my haste, I forgot to put my Frog Toggs on - idiot! 45 miles later I pulled into Jacobs Lake Restaurant, having ridden through snow, sleet and rain. Did I mention I didn't put my Frog Toggs on? Went into said restaurant, under the bemused stares of assorted tourists, who were obviously thinking crazy biker guy. Spent about 80 minutes thawing out, then got back on the road - But not without putting on my Frog Toggs. I can state unequivocally, that they are windproof. The diference between wearing them and not, was quite literally like night and day. Dont leave home without them!

Kerosene
01-09-2013, 19:01
I used the Frogg Togg Poncho great wind breaker and kept the light rain out; but not very breathable I was sweating up a storm after a few hours of hiking.Try more like 30 minutes to sweat-logged

Hosaphone
01-09-2013, 19:40
I used the Frogg Togg Poncho great wind breaker and kept the light rain out; but not very breathable I was sweating up a storm after a few hours of hiking.

Try more like 30 minutes to sweat-logged

Interesting...

Personally, I find my DriDucks to be very breathable - much more so than goretex or my Marmot Precip. However, mine are a size too large and very baggy - maybe since my jacket is almost like a poncho-jacket hybrid, I get more airflow inside which helps make it more "breathable"?

Dogwood
01-09-2013, 20:44

Welcome to Whiteblaze Smokeybones. Here are some things you might consider. Since you are new here and asking a specific question concerning a specific piece of gear first go to the FroggToggs site for a description and specs of FroggToggs. If you had done that your question would have been answered. I did this for you already this time. Here's the link http://www.froggtoggs.com/producttechnologies. You can also get reviews of specific pieces of gear at several other sites, often, including the manufacturer's or dealer's sites. Most likely, opinions will vary GREATLY. In the end, YOU will have to make decisions about gear concerning YOUR use YOURSELF. Whenever you start considering gear first go the manufacturer's site.

colorado_rob
01-09-2013, 21:40
Interesting...

Personally, I find my DriDucks to be very breathable - much more so than goretex or my Marmot Precip. However, mine are a size too large and very baggy - maybe since my jacket is almost like a poncho-jacket hybrid, I get more airflow inside which helps make it more "breathable"? Yeah, as do I (find dri ducks to be nicely breatheable... ) not sure where these "sweatbox" comments come from, BUT there are tons of different Frog Togg models, maybe a lot of them are completely different from the "dri duck ultralight rainsuit" which is what I have been using for years. And FWIW, clicking on a products information page really won't tell you much about actual performance, you do have to try them yourself. $20 total for a jacket and pants, what do you have to lose? And yeah, sometimes, when hiking in the thick woods, you can snag a sleeve and make a tear, but just whip out a short piece of duct tape, good to go.

colorado_rob
01-09-2013, 21:45
Here is the link to the particular frog togg/dry duck rain suit I'm taling about:

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm