PDA

View Full Version : Hat trick

Drybones
01-09-2013, 14:29
I wear a cap under the hood of my raincoat, the bill gets wet and eventually soaks the rest of the cap. I coated the bill with seam sealer to make it repel water, put it under the faucet and it didn't soak up a drop.

Drakken
01-09-2013, 14:49
Great Idea. I would have probably gone with that silicone spray you get at Wal-mart. The stuff with the orange lid. I would think you would use alot of seam seal to coat a hat bill.

Omaha_Ace
01-09-2013, 15:12
Great Idea. I would have probably gone with that silicone spray you get at Wal-mart. The stuff with the orange lid. I would think you would use alot of seam seal to coat a hat bill.

+1 - this is what I currently do! Works great, just have to respray from time to time due to sweat / dirt, etc.

Feral Bill
01-09-2013, 15:28
Of course, you could wear the cap over the hood.

MyName1sMud
01-09-2013, 16:12
good idea.

moldy
01-09-2013, 17:50
Thanks, this is what I need. I was using 2 paper clips to hold the bill to the rain coat hood. It did not work that well.

Drybones
01-09-2013, 18:04

What I used was silicone disolved in odorless mineral spirits, same as I seam sealed my Tarptents with, much, much better than the store bought stuff, used it on leather boots also, and canvas camp shoes, may try it on my Dirty Girl gators.

Miner
01-11-2013, 02:08
I normally wear a baseball cap under my rain hood as it keeps the rain off my glasses. Maybe its because I use caps made of synthetics instead of a cotton one, but I've never noticed the rest of the hat getting soaked. Maybe it was damp and I just didn't really notice it compared to the overall dampness of everything?