PDA

View Full Version : The Land of Butter and Honey

Drakken
01-09-2013, 15:00
I have found a great way to travel with Butter and Honey on the trail. I go to KFC and ask for some packets of each. They also have hot sauce and jelly. I told the manager what I needed them for and he gave me a large handful. He seemed glad to help out.

Old Hiker
01-09-2013, 15:18
Usually, fast food places don't mind when you ask. Popeye's chicken used to have a "Cajun Sparkle" spice packet. I always asked for extra and explained why. I usually offer to pay a small fee for whatever I ask for and I'm usually told 'No".

Drakken
01-09-2013, 15:53
We don't have Popeyes in this area:( . I so wish we did tho. I believe they have Honey and Butter as well.
If you have a Krystal nearby go ask for some Wing Seasoning. Their wings are not flavored with sauce, but dry seasoning. They usually give it to you in a little cup, but you can easily transfer it to some sturdier container. I got some when i ordered some Krystal Chiks.

Rocket Jones
01-09-2013, 19:47
I'd check that KFC 'honey' packet again. Last time I got some, it was honey-flavored high-fructose corn syrup. Blech!!!

Drakken
01-09-2013, 19:50
Very true, but atleast it keep my oatmeal from tasting like wet horse feed.

BigRing
01-09-2013, 20:49
The individual jelly containers from IHOP are tasty on oatmeal too.

d3v
01-10-2013, 13:32
the butter is no doubt vegetable fat, too.

Hosaphone
01-10-2013, 13:43
I just get the smallest plastic bottle of honey at the grocery store. Around 12oz at the one near me. I suppose that's a lot of honey, but it goes fast enough.

SevenPines
01-11-2013, 00:57
Starbucks has free honey packets

Always a score in higher end grocers:
texas pete packets
DUKES mayo packet--accept no substitute!!
gouldens spicy mustard

Mountain Mike
01-11-2013, 01:00
When you can't beg for it. http://www.minimus.biz/

Drakken
01-20-2013, 18:58
Always a score in higher end grocers:
texas pete packets
DUKES mayo packet--accept no substitute!!
gouldens spicy mustard

They have Tabasco at Chik-fil-a. Gotta love that.

JAK
01-20-2013, 19:18
One way to carry butter is to buy a pound of it and melt it and mix it with and equal amount of maple syrup or honey and then pour it all in a wide mouthed plastic jar or two of some kind. Yeah its alot of calories, without any protien or vitamins or minerals, but if the rest of your diet is sound, and goes well with butter and syrup, your all set.

Drakken
01-27-2013, 00:29
I kinda ment for cooking. I use the butter to lube my pan when I make muffin pancakes for breakfast. Which DO go well with butter and syrup. Hmmmm might just give that a try JAK. Thanks for the tip.

shelterbuilder
01-27-2013, 11:36
Also, check the local Wa-Wa convience mart/gas stations. I've noticed that they have Ken's salad dressing packs, jellies, and "some" other packets-to-go, although I've never REALLY looked to see what's there. Butter? Maybe not....

topshelf
01-27-2013, 12:20
As a teacher, I went to the guy delivering food and asked if he could get me honey and jelly packets. He gave me a huge box of each for wholesale prices. It wasn't free but I have enough I dont have to bug the fast food places for the next decade or so.

JAK
01-27-2013, 12:26
Just buy a pound of butter and a pound of honey and premix them. It's awesome. You could hike on that alone, unless you're own of those buzzkills that is into stuff like variety, protein, vitamins and minerals. Maple syrup is even better premixed with butter. Both help the butter keep.