PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Stove

mrc237
06-01-2005, 10:42
I'm New To This List I Just Received A Jb Stove As A Present Anyone Have Any Experience With It? It Seems Like A Nice Setup To Me Light Efficient And Safe. Lit. States That It'll Boil 12 Liters With One Cannister. (kinda Doubt That) Probably Take It On A Short Hike Soon Btw --- Trailname ---------ez

neo
06-01-2005, 13:53
I'm New To This List I Just Received A Jb Stove As A Present Anyone Have Any Experience With It? It Seems Like A Nice Setup To Me Light Efficient And Safe. Lit. States That It'll Boil 12 Liters With One Cannister. (kinda Doubt That) Probably Take It On A Short Hike Soon Btw --- Trailname ---------ez
i love my jetboil,i bought my wife the jetboil companion,an awesome set up:cool:neo

http://www.jetboil.com/

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories

Frosty
06-01-2005, 13:55
I'm New To This List I Just Received A Jb Stove As A Present Anyone Have Any Experience With It? It Seems Like A Nice Setup To Me Light Efficient And Safe. Lit. States That It'll Boil 12 Liters With One Cannister. (kinda Doubt That) It will surprise you with its efficiency and its speed.

Tabasco
06-01-2005, 14:03
It will surprise you with its efficiency and its speed.

On May 13th, JB released for purchase a kit to allow for a cannister stabilizer and a pot support so you can use another pot / mug / skillet on the JB stove. I sense one of these in my near future...

Frosty
06-01-2005, 17:09
On May 13th, JB released for purchase a kit to allow for a cannister stabilizer and a pot support so you can use another pot / mug / skillet on the JB stove. I sense one of these in my near future...I saw them at Traildays, but the efficiency comes from their pot with the heat fins. A stabilizer might be handy as the unit is fairly tall and slender. On the other hand, mine never fell over.

neo
06-01-2005, 17:48
i love it,its fuel efficent,the cozy lkeeps everything hot for a good while
people at jet boil are awesome,the owner of the company lives in hanover
new hampshires and has invited me to spend the night with him and his family
when i pass thru in sept this year,:cool: neo

mrc237
06-03-2005, 09:34
Got All The Attachments As Well Cofee Press And Stablizer + Pot Grid Will Probably Use It Nw Btw There Is A Tread On This Site With Good Info

Kerosene
06-05-2005, 14:48
I saw about 6 thru-hikers with the JetBoil, all of whom loved it for the convenience, speed, and efficiency (although I'm sure they haven't done any scientific studies!). Many of these guys cook two dinners and they've said a 200g canister lasts them for weeks.

neo
06-05-2005, 17:28
I saw about 6 thru-hikers with the JetBoil, all of whom loved it for the convenience, speed, and efficiency (although I'm sure they haven't done any scientific studies!). Many of these guys cook two dinners and they've said a 200g canister lasts them for weeks.

its an awesome personal cook system:cool: neo

neo
06-06-2005, 06:39
dont doubt it,little cartride will do more:cool: neo

TakeABreak
06-06-2005, 07:53
I have a canister stove different model (Primus, alpine titanium) with a 12 oz canister
(8 oz of fuel), a full canister last's me on average 10 - 12 days, thats heating water for oatmeal in the morning, heating a little water to rinse my pot out, cooking dinner in the evening (sometime a hot drink in the morning or evening also but not often) and again heating a little water to rinse the pot at night.

As I have posted here many time before, if you camp where you eat, do not unscrew the canister in the evening, leave it screwed on until morning. Reason being, every time you unscrew the canister you lose just a little bit of fuel and that adds up after a ten days, of doing it twice a day.

A last thought, most stoves and canister have the same thread pattern, making them interchangeabe, I have used almost every make canister out there with my Primus stove, fuel mixtures are little different but I have not notice enough of a difference to matter.

Just Jeff
06-06-2005, 08:32
I've heard you can't use the JetBoil cannister with other models, but you can use other models with the JetBoil stove. I haven't used a JetBoil cannister with my JB yet...the other brands have given me no problems.

Kerosene
06-06-2005, 11:50
I successfully used the JetBoil canister with my Snow Peak GigaPower burner. The 100g canister lasted me for 8 days of low-use water boiling. It would probably have lasted longer if I had been better about using a wind shield.

Just Jeff
06-06-2005, 13:39
That's good...I wonder if it's just certain brands that won't work with the JB cannister. Or maybe it was just a marketing conspiracy against JB by the evil big corporations...

Amigi'sLastStand
06-04-2006, 20:34
I've heard you can't use the JetBoil cannister with other models, but you can use other models with the JetBoil stove. I haven't used a JetBoil cannister with my JB yet...the other brands have given me no problems.
I was a JetBoil user until the heat sink// thermal transfer thing broke off on its own. No abuse at all. It went in my closet fine, then broke off as I was testing it three weeks ago. I gave up on it, but I had five canisters left from a deal I got on 24 of em on ebay. They do not fit my new Coleman micro stove I just bought yesterday ( thank you John ). It's not the thread, but how the nipple is recessed further down into the canister. I tried my neighbors MSR ( not sure which one ) and it didnt fit either. The JetBoil seems to be able to use other canisters fine though.

Is this others experience as well?

EarlyBird2007
07-07-2006, 12:21

You can definitely use an MSR canister with a JetBoil, since I am using one now. Works fine, but it is too big to put in the cup, like you can with JB canisters.

Nightwalker
07-07-2006, 12:37
On May 13th, JB released for purchase a kit to allow for a cannister stabilizer and a pot support so you can use another pot / mug / skillet on the JB stove. I sense one of these in my near future...
Just yesterday I bought the orange JetBoil 1.5 liter pot that will sit on any canister stove. It blows my mind how fast that thing is cooking! I'll definitely take a lot less gas in the future.

I'm taking it on a Franklin to Fontana hike, leaving this afternoon or early tomorrow, and I'll let y'all know if it's worth 44.95.

Just Jeff
07-07-2006, 13:34
You can definitely use an MSR canister with a JetBoil, since I am using one now. Works fine, but it is too big to put in the cup, like you can with JB canisters.

Other brands make the smaller size that still fits in the cup. I use SnowPeak cannisters and they fit in.

I put the plastic cap on, then put them in the cup upside down, then put my stove on top. Otherwise, the cannister bottom scratches the cup.

neo
07-07-2006, 13:56
i use the snow peak cannister 110 grams of fuel at $2.95 it work better than jetboil fuel in cold weather
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=870049&parent_category_rn=4500548&vcat=REI_SEARCH

jetboil fuel is 100 grams of fuel at $4.00

they both will fit in jetboils cook set, but like i said before i like snow peak fuel better,more fuel,less money and it works better in cold weather:cool: neo

FLHiker
07-07-2006, 14:27
I can vouch for the efficiency - 90 seconds will get you 2 cups to a rolling boil. - That's where the weight savings is - cary less fuel!!

Love the JetBoil.

neo
07-07-2006, 14:31
I can vouch for the efficiency - 90 seconds will get you 2 cups to a rolling boil. - That's where the weight savings is - cary less fuel!!

Love the JetBoil.

:) they are great,love mine to:cool: neo

FLHiker
07-07-2006, 18:04
I put the plastic cap on, then put them in the cup upside down, then put my stove on top. Otherwise, the cannister bottom scratches the cup.

Great tip - I never thought of that - just assumed everything wouldn't fit that way.

I have the stabilizer/ normal pot converter- adds to the versitility. (Pancakes and such if you wish.)

SnowPeak Giga Power cans definitly work - in fact they have slightly more fuel (110g) than the JetBoil cans (100g) - and they fit inside. Not sure of the burn time comparison or heat output though. The bigger MSR's work great too - just has to be stored outside the cup (227g cans and 100g cans have the same gross weight to net weight ratio, so it only matters on your time needs.)

Amigi'sLastStand
07-08-2006, 03:52
Great tip - I never thought of that - just assumed everything wouldn't fit that way.

I have the stabilizer/ normal pot converter- adds to the versitility. (Pancakes and such if you wish.)

SnowPeak Giga Power cans definitly work - in fact they have slightly more fuel (110g) than the JetBoil cans (100g) - and they fit inside. Not sure of the burn time comparison or heat output though. The bigger MSR's work great too - just has to be stored outside the cup (227g cans and 100g cans have the same gross weight to net weight ratio, so it only matters on your time needs.)
They must have changed the design. Before my JB fell apart and I was a fan, I could never get any canister to work other than the JB cans. It seemed on mine, that the female connector was further inside the unit than on other stoves, while the nipple on the cans were higher. Can anyone who knows the president of JB confirm this? I did love the thing and would buy another ( with the pot instead of the tumbler ) if they did change a few things.

Just Jeff
07-09-2006, 12:22
I only know one person who knows the president of JB and he's a hammocker...you can't trust those hammockers, ya know?

I don't like putting the stove in the pot w/o a cannister b/c it slides around, and I'm worried about it breaking the igniter if it slides too hard. If I backpack with the bigger cannister, I guess put a bandana inside the pot to pad the igniter, though. Haven't had the need to yet, though.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-09-2006, 18:34
I've seen someone on here who knows the prez of JB.
I went by the A/N store to pick up a new 1L nalgene and while I was there I checked out the larger JB model. It is definitely different from the PCS I had. It's not lighter or more compact than my current kitchen so doubt I'll buy it, they want $129 for it. Peak 1 for me for the foreseeable future.

Just Jeff
07-09-2006, 18:51
I've seen someone on here who knows the prez of JB.

I was talking about neo, but I think Jack does, too.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-09-2006, 20:21
I was talking about neo, but I think Jack does, too.
neo is a hammock hanger, cant trust him:cool: :)

Hindsfeet
07-09-2006, 20:46
[quote=neo]i use the snow peak cannister 110 grams of fuel at $2.95 it work better than jetboil fuel in cold weather
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=870049&parent_category_rn=4500548&vcat=REI_SEARCH

jetboil fuel is 100 grams of fuel at $4.00

they both will fit in jetboils cook set, but like i said before i like snow peak fuel better,more fuel,less money and it works better in cold weather:cool: neo

I get the 210 gram cannister at walmart for $3.92 It rocks!
HF

Just Jeff
07-09-2006, 21:14
Does the 210g cannister fit inside the pot with the stove?!

Fofer
07-10-2006, 11:09
I am going to say this but I'm obviously the minority on this sight. I don't like the JetBoil, it does everything they clain but it was just not the right stove for me. I had a guy at REI and a guy at EMS talk me in to it. I bouth it, a companion cup and the attachment to use other cooking equipment. The stove is good for boiling water but not much else. I didn't waste more money to buy the new stuff but I don't plan on using it any more. I'm going to go out and get a normal stove or maybe try a soda can stove. Like I said the stove was just not right for me.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-10-2006, 15:50
I am going to say this but I'm obviously the minority on this sight. I don't like the JetBoil, it does everything they clain but it was just not the right stove for me. I had a guy at REI and a guy at EMS talk me in to it. I bouth it, a companion cup and the attachment to use other cooking equipment. The stove is good for boiling water but not much else. I didn't waste more money to buy the new stuff but I don't plan on using it any more. I'm going to go out and get a normal stove or maybe try a soda can stove. Like I said the stove was just not right for me.
You not totally in the minority, as mine broke. I liked the thing because it was great for freezer bag cooking. But if your someone who likes to COOK, then no, this stove is not really any good, IMO. But I would like to try the JB with the pot itself, whatever they call it. It is not smaller or lighter than my current setup, but if it was more efficient, I would consider it.

Hindsfeet
07-10-2006, 16:30
Does the 210g cannister fit inside the pot with the stove?!

I have not got the pot but I will consider that IF I buy one. Thanks JJ.
HF

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 03:52
Another non-fan of the JetBoil here. But then again, I decided not to buy one at all based on my assessment of it.

I have been looking at getting a Coleman Exponent F1 ultralight and making a windscreen for it to see if I can get Jetboil-like performance with a more realistic pot and lighter set up. The F1 got a good review by BPL for already being close to the JetBoil's performance, I figure a Ti windscreen would even the playing field and get past some of the JetBoil's deficiencies.

hopefulhiker
07-11-2006, 17:23
I used the Jet Boil from Springer to Damascus on my thru hike last year.. Of all the pieces of gear I probably fretted about the stove the most... My wife thought I should take a cannister set up because it was the most idiot proof.. I saw several injuries last year with alcohol.. One option I considered seriously was the MSR Pocket Rocket and pot combo... The Jetboil was good during really cold mornings when I wanted something fast! but I ran out of fuel once and started carring an extra cylinder.. (two to carry out too.) The little jet boil cylinders(and the little snow peaks) were hard to find on the trail, I had to use the bigger ones which did not fit in the pot... At Damascus I saw Sgt Rock's ion stove, and got to play around with alcohol stoves at Hard Core Trail maintenance. I decided (mainly because of the weight) that the ion stove was for me.. One good tip is to use the flip top shampoo bottle for the fuel, got one from the Tin Man.. Also since almost all of my food was dehydrated and precooked the alcohol stove fitted my cooking style better. The Jet Boil was cool, the latest and the greatest, but as strictly as a solution to a problem, the alcohol type stove is the best for the least size and weight..Also as for the slowness of the alcohol stove I found that I could maximize my time by setting/striking camp, hob nobing, or other camp errands while my water was taking time to boil... I used the ion stove without incident for the remaining 1500 miles... Alcohol was easy to find.. I think the majority of thru hikers use it now....

SGT Rock
07-12-2006, 09:37
Glad that worked out for you Hopefulhiker.

BTW, the socks are GREAT!

Ewker
08-11-2006, 10:37
according to backpackinglight.com Jetboil will have some competition. I am not a member so I can only post a little about it. Maybe a member can post the whole article.

MSR Reactor Integrated Canister Stove (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2006)
"The integrated canister stove category just blew wide open with the imminent arrival of MSR's new Reactor. It's claimed to be the fastest-boiling, most fuel-efficient, windproof cooking system available. And there's another integrated canister stove coming from a different stove maker. BPL will cover this tomorrow night. Move over Jetboil!.."

BY Will Rietveld and Alan Dixon

EXCERPT / ABSTRACT: The new MSR Reactor integrated cooking system has a unique radiant burner that combines with an enclosing heat exchanger to provide maximum efficiency and heat transfer to the cooking pot. The hard anodized aluminum pot is 1.7 liters, which makes it suitable for group cooking. Note the radiant glow of the burner head.

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 11:55
Sounds cool. I think the JetBoil is over rated anyway. Lets see what the competition can do :D

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-11-2006, 15:46
They had pics... it looks pretty sweet... right now it's a little heavier and notably more effecient AND faster than the Jetboil GCS... the article also reference a 'smaller / lighter' version that MSR is working on...

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-11-2006, 15:47
note rather than 'and notably' I should have written 'but notably' ;)

neo
08-11-2006, 18:46
Sounds cool. I think the JetBoil is over rated anyway. Lets see what the competition can do :D

:D your wrong dude:cool: neo

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 19:32
So what happens when the competition's stove weighs less, uses less fuel, and is made better?

You can stick to your love of a product for sentimental reasons, or you can go for what works best. Try to use your nugget for more than holding a hat over your body on that one :D

FLHiker
08-11-2006, 19:42
So what happens when the competition's stove weighs less, uses less fuel, and is made better?

You can stick to your love of a product for sentimental reasons, or you can go for what works best. Try to use your nugget for more than holding a hat over your body on that one :D

Imitation is the most sincere form of flatery. The other manufacurers obviously have learned something from JetBoil. As a recovering tech junkie (just ask my UPS driver :D ) I can say that I will look at the other manufacturer's stoves also. - But Jetboil is a great product for boiling water - which makes it great for Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, Ramen Noodles, Lipton Noodles, Oatmeal, Grits, Coffee, and Tea. If you want anything else - maybe not so good.

I like my eyebrows - therefore I stick with the Jetboil (that one may take a little thinking!!!:D )

Jeff

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 20:06
Well the other thing to remember is people often love things based on how cool they are without them actually being any better. And once someone finds a market niche any good company will follow. Just look at SUVs. I mean really, when Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, and others start making SUVs you know this isn't really a Jeep that can go anywhere, it is something people buy because of a perception they have or an image they want to project :sun: Yet they get coppied because people want that and companies that make it are going to give them what they want no matter how bad it is :p

JetBoil is all perception. If it works for you more power to you, but I cannot see shooting myself in the foot to cook out of a glorified cup to save 2 grams of fuel per boil while adding 120+ grams of weight. The math does not compute. If you add more weight than you save, where is the weight savings? If you make it harder to cook out of, where is the convenience? And if you make it easier to break, where is the quality? :-?

Besides, BPL found you could do basically the same thing with a lighter system in a real pot. So the only answer has to be the cool factor. As I said, I have no problem with people wanting a product for a cool factor. Just be honest about it LOL :D

FLHiker
08-11-2006, 20:33
Well the other thing to remember is people often love things based on how cool they are without them actually being any better. And once someone finds a market niche any good company will follow. Just look at SUVs. I mean really, when Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, and others start making SUVs you know this isn't really a Jeep that can go anywhere, it is something people buy because of a perception they have or an image they want to project :sun: Yet they get coppied because people want that and companies that make it are going to give them what they want no matter how bad it is :p

JetBoil is all perception. If it works for you more power to you, but I cannot see shooting myself in the foot to cook out of a glorified cup to save 2 grams of fuel per boil while adding 120+ grams of weight. The math does not compute. If you add more weight than you save, where is the weight savings? If you make it harder to cook out of, where is the convenience? And if you make it easier to break, where is the quality? :-?

Besides, BPL found you could do basically the same thing with a lighter system in a real pot. So the only answer has to be the cool factor. As I said, I have no problem with people wanting a product for a cool factor. Just be honest about it LOL :D

15 oz gets you a complete kitchen. Fuel burn is 1/2 of any other stove - as we all know, consumables are the biggest part of our pack weight.

Another feature I really like (admitidly, I don't know if other products have this) is the built in electronic igniter. Last month, a buddy and I were hiking in the smokies, and stopped for lunch (we both were having a hot lunch.) He couldn't get his stove lit because of the rain. - I had a good time rubbing it in! It was so bad, that we were laughing because the rain was coming down so hard, that it was running off of his hat and into his cup so fast, I said he'll never make it to the bottom!

2 problems with jetboil: small canister fuel is hard to get (but the big ones are plentiful), and it's too hot for anything other then water (and I have tried!!!)

But for me - it's the right system (my hike)- I'll be interested in the other manufacturer's systems, though.

Later,

Jeff

Just Jeff
08-11-2006, 20:42
I like the JB b/c it's so convenient and stable. I don't have to worry about a flat place to cook, about the pot stand being unstable, about soot getting on my stuff, etc. I can even pick it up while it's cooking if I want to...I like that. But I've made a setup for my alcohol stove that's close to the JB for stablity and all-in-one setup...if I can get the efficiency up with the windscreen (I think insufficient ventilation is bringing down efficiency) I might spring for your Ion...

And I wear a No Sniveler instead of carrying a jacket. It's not about image for me :p

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 20:51
Well lets compare two systems, the Jetboil and the F1. Both get close to the same fuel consumption, although I grant you the Jetboil is a little better:

Coleman F1 Ultralight
Stove 2.7oz
Evernew pot 4.0 ounces
Scripto Lighter 0.6 ounces
Pot Cozy 0.9 ounces
Fuel cannister ~ 8.0 ounces
Total: 16.2 ounces

Compare to the Jetboil with fuel:
Stove 6.0 ounces
Lower burner cup protector 0.9 ounces
Cup and cozy 7.4 ounces
Lid 1.1 ounces
Fuel Canister 6.8 ounces
Total: 22.2 ounces.
(data from http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...itial%20Report/)

The JetBoil starts 6 ounces heavier even with it's smaller fuel container. But since you brought it up, the F1 gets slightly lower fuel economy. So while it lasts for about 13 liters, the Coleman takes slightly more fuel to do the same thing - 4 ounces instead of 3.4: WOW 0.6 more ounces, ohh the pain of that extra fuel LOL :D

So now we talk about fuel consumption and weight. While it does take slightly more fuel with the F1, that also means that the F1 system weight drops faster! Oh boy! So at the end when both systems empty out, the F1 user is only carrying 12.2 ounces (since he has to carry out the empty canister) while the JetBoil user has 18.8 ounces (you know, come to think of it, he could throw away his empty cannister like a bad boy and still have more weight by almost a quarter pound!). Getting close to half a pound heavier for a JetBoil for the convince of cooking and eating from a cup. SWEET! :sun

And, on the average, the JetBoil user gets to carry 20.5 ounces of stove system while the poor SOB with the way under developed F1 has to carry a whopping 14.2 ounces - gosh, he forgot to break the one pound barrier. Must be cheating :-?

Oh, I forgot to mention this (since you brought it up) the JetBoil Guy still needs to have some sort of Bic or Scripto or whatever for campfires and probably won't want to put his JetBoil cup on a campfire to save any fuel weight because it may screw up that fancy cup. While the poor old F1 user already has a lighter since he is so backward he needs one to light his stove - but he could put his nice titanium pot on a fire and could even fry up some ham and eggs in that low tech titanium pot. ;)

Ohh, and you can start an F1 with that lighter because it makes sparks - this would work even if the lighter ran out of fuel. If the neat piezo igniter breaks you are SOL unless you remember a lighter or someone else is nice enough to be there when you break it and loan you some flamage.

That JetBoil sure is one sweet system. I don't know why everyone isn't getting one

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 21:02
I like the JB b/c it's so convenient and stable. I don't have to worry about a flat place to cook, about the pot stand being unstable, about soot getting on my stuff, etc. I can even pick it up while it's cooking if I want to...I like that. But I've made a setup for my alcohol stove that's close to the JB for stablity and all-in-one setup...if I can get the efficiency up with the windscreen (I think insufficient ventilation is bringing down efficiency) I might spring for your Ion...

And I wear a No Sniveler instead of carrying a jacket. It's not about image for me :p

Well Jeff I may have to disagree with stability. I've actually heard from a couple of users that the extra tall and interconnected pot system has lead to the whole thing falling over instead of just a pot off a stove that wasn't set up on a flat spot. Plus some people have noticed that the system that interconnects them can break. Of course I don't own one because I don't want one so I speak of what I hear from others, not a personal experience with one.

As to my Ion, I at least tell people it is slow and you have to put some work into learning to use it and getting it set up at first to work with whatever pot they chose. I don't claim my stove to be a perfect solution and know I am a small niche provider. But then again I also give the plans away for free :D

While I have an F1 to play with and have started working on a system that should make it as fuel efficient while staying lighter than the JetBoil. For my own personal hiking style I will stick to alcohol. It is lighter and even more weight efficient for a hiker. But that is because I value those two things more than speed or cool factor. My system looks like crap ;)

I think you can do it with your system too. I wish you luck on it. Maybe you will end up like Hopeful hiker and ditch the JB too :-?

FLHiker
08-11-2006, 21:16
NO SNIVELING

Sounds like alot of sniveling to me -- look, we like the JetBoil - It's at it's worst a very viable stove system, at it's best, the safest, most efficient, most convenient stove system out there. I could go to the web and find a bunch of facts to counter your's (as I disagree with many) but it doesn't matter - these threads are not about cutting on products, mearly to discuss them.

Jeff

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 21:32
Sounds like alot of sniveling to me --
Don't get confused now :sun

Actually it is not sniveling, just reading facts and figures. Honest assessments are only honest assessments. I can't help it that some people can't take them as that.

Sniveling is when you whine about something because it hurts your feelings, like when someone makes fun of your favorite toy LOL!:rolleyes:

look, we like the JetBoil - It's at it's worst a very viable stove system

No argument. I never said it wasn't. I have said it is not the lightest, or that it's efficiency is not light-years ahead of the competition, and for all the supposed benefits it has draw backs. In fact some other JetBoil users have also said this too. Hmmm :-?

, at it's best, the safest, most efficient, most convenient stove system out there. I could go to the web and find a bunch of facts to counter your's (as I disagree with many) but it doesn't matter - these threads are not about cutting on products, merely to discuss them.

Jeff
Actually I could care less if you went and researched the product and comparisons to others. In fact I would greatly encourage that. A great source that does real, accurate, and as close to real world testing as possible is BPL. They are a great source. Check out their comparisons of stove systems. It won't offend me if you quote standardized test results to prove me "wrong".

But how do you quantify it as the safest?

How do you quantify convenience? You cannot. That is subjective to the user.

And comparing the merits and drawbacks of a system is discussing it. Comparing it to similar options is discussing it. The accurate reporting of how a product works so more people that haven't bought it yet is the real goal of the discussion. Before someone reads all the love poems to the JetBoil and buys it, a little comparison of what else is out there and what "efficiency" really buys you is a good thing. If you are so enamored of a system you cannot see where it has weaknesses your advice as to the value of the gear is lost. Take it from someone that has done a lot of gear testing and still has manufacturers seek his advice even after he tells them the short truth.

Anyway, if an honest evaluation of the JetBoil offends you, you may need to ask why it does, not ask me to quit talking about it LOL ;)

neo
08-11-2006, 23:22
Imitation is the most sincere form of flatery. The other manufacurers obviously have learned something from JetBoil. As a recovering tech junkie (just ask my UPS driver :D ) I can say that I will look at the other manufacturer's stoves also. - But Jetboil is a great product for boiling water - which makes it great for Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, Ramen Noodles, Lipton Noodles, Oatmeal, Grits, Coffee, and Tea. If you want anything else - maybe not so good.

I like my eyebrows - therefore I stick with the Jetboil (that one may take a little thinking!!!:D )

Jeff

:) i am sticking with my jetboil to dude:cool: neo

Just Jeff
08-12-2006, 00:07
Rock, I've read about people complaining about the stability. I have no idea where they're coming from...I haven't tested a lot of stoves, but this is the most stable setup I've ever used. Even if it's tilted a bit I never have to worry about the pot sliding off, and unless it's completely full it's not noticeably top-heavy. Compared to another stove system, I haven't found that it's any less stable.

Actually, if I'm cooking on a slope I just put a twig under the downhill side and it sits stable enough to cook on. I don't trust alcohol stoves enough to do this. Maybe my Nesquik windscreen will let me do that, though.

I had to trade in the lid b/c the old style cracked. Other than that, no trouble with anything breaking. I don't really like how the Piezo ignitor sticks up by itself instead of being more protected, though - I can see how it could break if I wasn't careful. (I always carry a lighter and matches as emergency gear anyway.) Other than that, I don't see anything fragile about it. I know others have had theirs break, but I haven't had any problems.

Not saying it doesn't have it disadvantages, though. The bottom burns pretty hot so I have to stir more often if I cook anything other than water...still have milk stains on there, actually. And of course the shape means no frying or anything - that's my biggest complaint. And I won't argue with you about the weights.

Like I said, it suits my style at the moment but I'm not so smitten that I may not eventually change. Doesn't mean I'm blinded by the marketing hype - I just like the system.

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 04:18
Rock, I've read about people complaining about the stability. I have no idea where they're coming from...I haven't tested a lot of stoves, but this is the most stable setup I've ever used. Even if it's tilted a bit I never have to worry about the pot sliding off, and unless it's completely full it's not noticeably top-heavy. Compared to another stove system, I haven't found that it's any less stable.

Actually, if I'm cooking on a slope I just put a twig under the downhill side and it sits stable enough to cook on. I don't trust alcohol stoves enough to do this. Maybe my Nesquik windscreen will let me do that, though.
Well you are proabably right on the stability issue. You know how people can do things inccorectly and then blame their equipment? With any stove you can have a problem if you set it up on a slant and I can picture a novice camper setting up their JB on a slant then acting supprised when it falls over and possibly even complaining to the company.

I had to trade in the lid b/c the old style cracked. Other than that, no trouble with anything breaking. I don't really like how the Piezo ignitor sticks up by itself instead of being more protected, though - I can see how it could break if I wasn't careful. (I always carry a lighter and matches as emergency gear anyway.) Other than that, I don't see anything fragile about it. I know others have had theirs break, but I haven't had any problems.

Not saying it doesn't have it disadvantages, though. The bottom burns pretty hot so I have to stir more often if I cook anything other than water...still have milk stains on there, actually. And of course the shape means no frying or anything - that's my biggest complaint. And I won't argue with you about the weights.

Like I said, it suits my style at the moment but I'm not so smitten that I may not eventually change. Doesn't mean I'm blinded by the marketing hype - I just like the system.
And there is nothing wrong with that.;)

Good luck.

hopefulhiker
08-12-2006, 07:21
One time, some friends of mine went down into Linville
Gorge for the weekend. A friend of mine wanted to carry one of those big old pump up double burner Coleman stoves. We had cast iron pans. he carried the thing in his arms down into the gorge. When it was time to hike out, he said " its your turn to carry it out". I protested that I did'nt want to bring the thing in the first place. He said
" you used it didn't you?" I ended carrying that thing out up the hill muttering "Never Again".
I analyzed this for hours before the thru hike and started out with a Jet boil, on my wife's recommendation that I was too much of a klutz to handle alcohol. I found that the Jet Boil could not be moved without hazard because it will flare up on the sides. the cool electric starter went out soon too. i still liked the speed and the cool sound it made when you lit it up. But, as I hiked up more and more PUPS, I began to think more about the weight. Weight really became the dominant consideration for me. Many of us were still trying to trim ounces from our packs. especially the middle age crisis crowd. At trail days I looked at Tin Mans stove and Sgt Rock gave me one of his ion stoves.. Switching to alcohol was one of the best choices I made on the trail, along with going with trail runners, The klutz problem with alcohol was partially solved by using a shampoo bottle with a flip top, and kept in a zip lock..

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 11:38
according to backpackinglight.com Jetboil will have some competition. I am not a member so I can only post a little about it. Maybe a member can post the whole article.

MSR Reactor Integrated Canister Stove (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2006)
"The integrated canister stove category just blew wide open with the imminent arrival of MSR's new Reactor. It's claimed to be the fastest-boiling, most fuel-efficient, windproof cooking system available. And there's another integrated canister stove coming from a different stove maker. BPL will cover this tomorrow night. Move over Jetboil!.."

BY Will Rietveld and Alan Dixon
EXCERPT / ABSTRACT: The new MSR Reactor integrated cooking system has a unique radiant burner that combines with an enclosing heat exchanger to provide maximum efficiency and heat transfer to the cooking pot. The hard anodized aluminum pot is 1.7 liters, which makes it suitable for group cooking. Note the radiant glow of the burner head.

I went and did some research on this new system today. Looks like JetBoil ain't the king of fuel efficiency or speed anymore.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4031/v/1/sp/

It looks like this stove adds about ~57 more grams of weight* to save one more gram of fuel over the JetBoil and cut off another 30 seconds. Yep, that sure is a smart way to do business.

Of course the MSR version will cost about twice what a JetBoil costs* for this privilege. But at least you get a bigger cup LOL.

Does adding more weight than you save and paying more for the system sound smart to y'all?

Stick with your JetBoil if you want a pre-packaged, integrated system.

*Weight and price data came from BPL website.

Just Jeff
08-12-2006, 11:59
The Primus version comes with a fry pan, and the remote cannister can be used as a liquid feed system in cold weather. Curiouser and curioser. Betcha titanium is next...

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 12:04
Yes, the next gen of this from primus or some other company is probably going to add another 29 grams to save 1/2 gram of fuel and cost three times as much as a JetBoil. Before you know it a canister stove will weigh more than an MSR Whisperlight but will only need 4 ounces of fuel for a month.

Just like SUVs.

BTW, did you know that JetBoil was not the first integrated stove system. Check out this company called Trangia.

And as for canisters, Snow Peak has had a burner with a windscreen and a pot that holds it all in one place for a while. You just have to buy separate pieces and put it together.

Happy
08-15-2006, 23:00
Why would anyone carry this weight to get a quicker boil...where are you going in the woods anyways?...a half ounce alcohol stove with no pot stand requirements, boils 2 cups of water in 7-8 minutes...where would I ever win???

Just Jeff
08-15-2006, 23:03
What are you trying to win?

saimyoji
08-15-2006, 23:07
Too late, I just won. Maybe next time. :D

Just Jeff
08-15-2006, 23:23
Your only prize is a dancing banana. Unfortunately, I killed it on the way to my router. Squished it flat. I'll pay you back in beer sometime.

Happy
08-16-2006, 00:18
What are you trying to win?

It sure isn't the WEIGHT of this...see you on the ultralite thread when you post this thing for sell 6 months from now! :sun :confused:

Just Jeff
08-16-2006, 00:30
Wha? I've had mine for almost 2 years. Not planning on selling it any time soon.

Hehe - probably wouldn't sell it on the ultralite thread, anyway... :p

Happy
08-16-2006, 00:50
Wha? I've had mine for almost 2 years. Not planning on selling it any time soon.

Hehe - probably wouldn't sell it on the ultralite thread, anyway... :p

Just kidding...if we hike together, I would just watch you attempt to cook, since I not going anywhere and not in any hurry, and share the 16 oz of "everclear" I am carrying as fuel instead of stove weight...of course going by "Just Jeff", I would have to ID you first! :) :)

Just Jeff
08-16-2006, 00:55
Ok Happy - have fun with whatever stove you use. I've never gone to bed hungry in the woods. (Well, except for survival training...)

And I'll gladly take 16 oz of booze off your hands... :p

Happy
08-16-2006, 01:01
Ok Happy - have fun with whatever stove you use. I've never gone to bed hungry in the woods. (Well, except for survival training...)

And I'll gladly take 16 oz of booze off your hands... :p

I'll share...let's do some PCT sometime, I have a daugher in San Francisco!:banana :banana

opqdan
08-16-2006, 10:45
This debate is getting mighty confusing. On one side, we have JB owners who have already invested the money into purchasing a system. Throwing it out the window and switching to another is a waste and many need to validate their choice and investment in their stove. One the other side, we have people who have never owned a JB needing to validate their choice of not purchasing one.

Only Sgt. Rock and a few others have come up with valid pros/cons for using a JB and Sgt. Rock was the only one who has actually come up with some good numbers showing that the JB is NOT the most lightweight/efficient stove out there. About the only thing that others have come up with that wasn't refuted by Sgt. Rocks cold, hard, numbers, is that the JB can boil water much faster (at the expense of being able to actually cook with it).

After filtering out the cruft and the baised self-validating reviews, I think that the JB loses out. Granted, it is up to each hiker to decide the cooking system that they most like to use.

If you would rather use a JB, then say so, nobody will hold that against you, but please don't pretend that you are basing your decision on weight or efficiency, because the JB clearly doesn't win in those categories.

mrc237
08-19-2006, 06:34
Nice post Dan, My stove of choice right now is the JB when I purchased it I knew that it was a little heavier than what I been using but I sacrificed that for its convenience etc. I especially like the way it makes coffee. I now also use it with a titanium pot which it (the stove kit) fits into quite nicely, the pot also doubles as my cup. Keep posting I like your honest views.

iceeater_0313
08-29-2006, 17:10
once and 4 all, i gonna clear up this jetboil thingy, i just got bac from aspen, i went 6 days and 6 nites, i had 2 meals a day, a cup of coffee and a cup of tea, the mid morning meal about 1 cup of h20 and supper about 2 cups of h20, so i had about 5 cups of hot h20 a day , i was @ 10,800 based 4 days, temps were 50's during day, 40's @ nite, then the other 2 days was @ 10,2??. i had bought 2, 100 grams fuel cans that where brand name jetboil 4 season, when i came off the mountain, i still had fuel left in my 1st can and never open the 2nd, any other question feel free 2 email. iceeater

Dazzy001
08-12-2008, 22:15
Forget the Jetboil, get a PackaFeather XL stove, it only Weighs 1.4 ounces (45 grams) and The XL will bring 16 ounces (2 cups, ½ liter) of 60° water to a true boil (digitally measured) in 5 to 6 minutes using about 1/2 oz. (15ml) of fuel Heet or solid fuel tablets such as Esbit and still use the heat control feature!. Its the most awsome stove i have ever owned.