PDA

View Full Version : not trying to be a "thread hog"... but...

gizzy bear
01-09-2013, 17:02
has anyone ever used or know of anyone who has used a berghaus pack? and what are the thoughts on them? i found one i REALLY like, but i don't see a lot of reviews on it ... and haven't really heard many people here mention it... that may be my sign ... just wondering :-?

jeffmeh
01-09-2013, 18:05
I know nothing about them, but with a quick look at a few of them on their web site the packs seem very heavy. Was there a particular model you were looking at?

Slo-go'en
01-09-2013, 18:10
Seeing that their a British outfit, not likely to see many here in the states.

They do look like complicated, bulletproof packs for serious expeditions. I didn't see any weights listed on thier web site, but they look heavy. Personally, I'd go with a simpler, lighter pack for the AT.

Oneofsix
01-09-2013, 18:18
wow. a question that I can answer. I have one and I love it, but it is heavy. I m starting with it but will not be surprised if I switch to a lighter one soon. I hiked PA this summer with it and I didn't like how the straps wore my arms raw when I hiked in a tank top . . it also was 100 degrees and the waist belt nd staps soaked up sweat . . surely adding to the weight and stinkyness of the pack. it is a great pack for most of what I do in the pacific northwest, but i am expecting it to be overkill for the AT . . . nice features though . . .

Oneofsix
01-09-2013, 18:21
mine is really comfortable, i love the pack cover (i m always hiking in the rain) and i like the way the pack is designed, pockets, adjustable, loops etc. it is pretty durable too . . .

Hosaphone
01-09-2013, 19:50
has anyone ever used or know of anyone who has used a berghaus pack? and what are the thoughts on them? i found one i REALLY like, but i don't see a lot of reviews on it ... and haven't really heard many people here mention it... that may be my sign ... just wondering :-?

Which pack are you looking at? What about it do you like so much?

How much weight are you planning to carry?

If you're thinking about spending $200-400 on a pack (considering conversion rate and shipping), the world is basically your oyster. Why not just buy something from a reputable US cottage manufacturer? It's hard to go wrong if you stick to the tried and true: ULA, Gossamer Gear, MLD, GoLite, etc all have awesome packs that will cost less, weigh less, be made in the USA, probably be better suited for thru hiking, etc.

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 10:52
here is the pack that caught my eye... for OBVIOUS reason #1...it looks KILLER!!! (hawt pink rocks!!! ) ...but as you all have mentioned there isn't much info re: weight... and ONEOFSIX is about the ONLY "review" i've seen... (and thanks btw :D ) ... so i thought i would just ask .... thanks for the responses....i guess i will just stick with the gregory :)

http://store.berghaus.com/p/womens/womens-bioflex-45-rucksack/420420 (http://store.berghaus.com/p/womens/womens-bioflex-45-rucksack/420420)

Astro
01-10-2013, 11:15
Seeing that their a British outfit, not likely to see many here in the states.

They do look like complicated, bulletproof packs for serious expeditions. I didn't see any weights listed on thier web site, but they look heavy. Personally, I'd go with a simpler, lighter pack for the AT.

When there is not a weight listed, that generally translates to "HEAVY".

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 12:11
When there is not a weight listed, that generally translates to "HEAVY".

yeah...i just read in the fine print...the pack weighs 47 lbs.... ;)

Omaha_Ace
01-10-2013, 13:21
here is the pack that caught my eye... for OBVIOUS reason #1...it looks KILLER!!! (hawt pink rocks!!! ) ...but as you all have mentioned there isn't much info re: weight... and ONEOFSIX is about the ONLY "review" i've seen... (and thanks btw :D ) ... so i thought i would just ask .... thanks for the responses....i guess i will just stick with the gregory :)

http://store.berghaus.com/p/womens/womens-bioflex-45-rucksack/420420 (http://store.berghaus.com/p/womens/womens-bioflex-45-rucksack/420420)

And............I just learned someting new... Gizzy Bear is a girl... lol ...what was that about books and covers? I need to remember to look at people's profiles every once in a while...

jeffmeh
01-10-2013, 13:24
The weights are listed under the full specs, 3.37 lbs for this one:

Women's BIOFLEX® 45 RucksackProduct Price

£116.67

Ratings:Bioflex<sup>&#0174;</sup> Improved Comfort Fit 45 Litre Rucksack
Write review (http://berghaus.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/4569redes-en_gb/420420/writereview.htm?user=__USERID__&campaignid=BV_REVIEW_DISPLAY&return=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.berghaus.com%2Fp%2Fwomen s%2Fwomens-bioflex-45-rucksack%2F420420&submissionurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.berghaus.com%2Fwe bapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FBVReqProcess%3Fsto reId%3D10151%26productId%3D10195%26langId%3D-1%26catalogId%3D10002)
Bioflex® Improved Comfort Fit 45 Litre RucksackView full details and specification (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#/)
Flex, twist and turn on your hike and thanks to Berghaus' new improved unique BIOFLEX®Back System, the Women's BIOFLEX® 45 Rucksack will move with you.
An unparalleled load transfer system that seamlessly follows your every move and lightens any load. Built upon Berghaus’ award winning BIOFLEX® technology, our next generation BIOFLEX®; delivers supreme load comfort for the smaller, lighter pack.
This innovative, high-performance, 45 Litre capacity rucksack is easily adjusted and has an improved fit and carry-comfort. This puts less stress, strain and fatigue on the wearer through perfect Cross Load transfer technology.
Dimensions: (approx) 71cm (H) x 30cm (W) x 26cm (D)
Weight: (approx) 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb. Size Guide: The BIOFLEX® rucksack is available in One Size as you can adjust the back length to ensure it fits you perfectly. As everyone is unique your back length may vary; as a general rule the women’s BIOFLEX® range will fit those between 5’1” –5’10” ft/ins / 154-182cm

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 15:07
And............I just learned someting new... Gizzy Bear is a girl... lol ...what was that about books and covers? I need to remember to look at people's profiles every once in a while...

hehehe...no worries.... yes i get that alot...probably shouldn't have gone with the ever so "manly" GIZZY :p

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 15:11
The weights are listed under the full specs, 3.37 lbs for this one:

Women's BIOFLEX® 45 Rucksack

Product Price

£116.67

Ratings:

Bioflex<sup>&#0174;</sup> Improved Comfort Fit 45 Litre Rucksack
Write review (http://berghaus.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/4569redes-en_gb/420420/writereview.htm?user=__USERID__&campaignid=BV_REVIEW_DISPLAY&return=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.berghaus.com%2Fp%2Fwomen s%2Fwomens-bioflex-45-rucksack%2F420420&submissionurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.berghaus.com%2Fwe bapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FBVReqProcess%3Fsto reId%3D10151%26productId%3D10195%26langId%3D-1%26catalogId%3D10002)
Bioflex® Improved Comfort Fit 45 Litre Rucksack

View full details and specification

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#/)
Flex, twist and turn on your hike and thanks to Berghaus' new improved unique BIOFLEX®Back System, the Women's BIOFLEX® 45 Rucksack will move with you.
An unparalleled load transfer system that seamlessly follows your every move and lightens any load. Built upon Berghaus’ award winning BIOFLEX® technology, our next generation BIOFLEX®; delivers supreme load comfort for the smaller, lighter pack.
This innovative, high-performance, 45 Litre capacity rucksack is easily adjusted and has an improved fit and carry-comfort. This puts less stress, strain and fatigue on the wearer through perfect Cross Load transfer technology.
Dimensions: (approx) 71cm (H) x 30cm (W) x 26cm (D)
Weight: (approx) 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb. Size Guide: The BIOFLEX® rucksack is available in One Size as you can adjust the back length to ensure it fits you perfectly. As everyone is unique your back length may vary; as a general rule the women’s BIOFLEX® range will fit those between 5’1” –5’10” ft/ins / 154-182cm

well well well.....very interesting!! so it doesn't weigh 47 lbs.... 3.37 lbs is plenty lite... hmmmmmmm thanks for the info jeffmeh !!! PLUS....i figure with this pack....i wouldn't be mistaken for a male ;)

jeffmeh
01-10-2013, 15:31
You are welcome. I fear though that you are being seduced by the hot pink, as you are ignoring well-known performers like ULA, Gossamer Gear, Golite, Osprey Exos, etc., that could all put you in a lighter pack for close or less money, albeit without as flamboyant an outcome. :)

Hosaphone
01-10-2013, 15:47
You are welcome. I fear though that you are being seduced by the hot pink, as you are ignoring well-known performers like ULA, Gossamer Gear, Golite, Osprey Exos, etc., that could all put you in a lighter pack for close or less money, albeit without as flamboyant an outcome. :)

I bet if you asked them, you might be able to get a ULA pack in pink... They've started offering the Circuit in woodland camo, and I know I've read about somebody who somehow got one in blue. I'm not sure about the specifics, though - he may have already had the fabric and shipped it to them to use.

HYOH, though.

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 16:31

i LOVE bright/crazy colors on things!! sooo i was naturally drawn to that pack, for that reason... but i am actually a deva 60 girl...as in gregory :cool: not very bright, i know.... but i will have some neon boot laces in my merrells :D

Slo-go'en
01-10-2013, 16:44
Gregory packs are also typically on the heavy side. I would avoid bright colors - it tends to attact critters and insects. It's good to blend into your suroundings, not stick out and attract attention.

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 17:34
I bet if you asked them, you might be able to get a ULA pack in pink... They've started offering the Circuit in woodland camo, and I know I've read about somebody who somehow got one in blue. I'm not sure about the specifics, though - he may have already had the fabric and shipped it to them to use.

HYOH, though.

that would be cool to find your own fabric and have a pack made!!!!! :D

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 17:42
Gregory packs are also typically on the heavy side. I would avoid bright colors - it tends to attact critters and insects. It's good to blend into your suroundings, not stick out and attract attention.

Slo-G....i am not an ounce counter...and i don't mean that to sound like i don't care about weight...because that would be foolish...but i don't need a UL pack...to be honest the 100 mile widerness will probably be the toughest trek i do...the rest will be weekend hikes and hopefully a few thru hikes here and there...so i tried on o few packs...a kelty...a osprey and a gregory...leaning toward the gregory ... :) i think i can spray paint it bright pink...no???? ;) <---- note the winky :)

jeffmeh
01-10-2013, 18:16
Slo-G....i am not an ounce counter...and i don't mean that to sound like i don't care about weight...because that would be foolish...but i don't need a UL pack...to be honest the 100 mile widerness will probably be the toughest trek i do...the rest will be weekend hikes and hopefully a few thru hikes here and there...so i tried on o few packs...a kelty...a osprey and a gregory...leaning toward the gregory ... :) i think i can spray paint it bright pink...no???? ;) <---- note the winky :)

By all means go with what you find comfortable. I would still lean toward something lighter (not ultralight), with a frame, south of 3 lbs. That's 2-3 lbs. less than the Deva 60. It is reasonably likely that your back, knees, and feet will thank you.

HikerMom58
01-10-2013, 18:19

Ha Ha!! She's a girly girl to boot. :) Love her!! A troll misread her name & called her grizzly bear.. LOL! :)

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 22:43
HM... You have to be the sweetest thing since sliced candy!!! Such a love!!! And actually... I am a little girly... With a lotta country ... I LOVE diversity.... AND REALLY LOUD COLORFUL PACKS :) I am pretty much the honey badger of the human race .... Only I love ball gowns & turkey shoots... I met RCBear there... He was the turkey <3

HikerMom58
01-10-2013, 23:21
HM... You have to be the sweetest thing since sliced candy!!! Such a love!!! And actually... I am a little girly... With a lotta country ... I LOVE diversity.... AND REALLY LOUD COLORFUL PACKS :) I am pretty much the honey badger of the human race .... Only I love ball gowns & turkey shoots... I met RCBear there... He was the turkey <3

:)... I really look forward to meeting u and RCBear one day on the trail. :)

gizzy bear
01-10-2013, 23:35
That would be AWESOME!!!!! You are truly one of a kind & I would LOVE that!!!!

Train Wreck
01-11-2013, 20:10
By all means go with what you find comfortable. I would still lean toward something lighter (not ultralight), with a frame, south of 3 lbs. That's 2-3 lbs. less than the Deva 60. It is reasonably likely that your back, knees, and feet will thank you.

Gizzy, I love my deva 60. I use it for exactly the same kind of trips you do - overnight and short sectioning. I don't mind the extra weight for that reason. Take another look at the cushy waist belt and curved shoulder straps. The waistbelt fits the hips, the "girls" have room and no chafing even after a full day of hiking. The folks who designed ths pack must have been women for sure.