PDA

View Full Version : section hike week of march 11

Chex Mix
01-09-2013, 17:31
I'm looking for someone to hike with the week of march 11 around the tn/nc area. I'm 18, male, in great hiking shape, just want a buddy to hike with.

Mattheww31
01-12-2013, 20:37
The only problem with trying to find a hiking buddy that you've never hiked with is the pace. Nothing sucks worse than pushing yourself to injury trying to keep up with someone, or having to wait on a slower hiker. I prefer hiking solo when i go on longer trips because of this and the fact that i love the solitude and "self discovery" of these type trips. Kind of hard to have the complete "freedom" feeling hiking with someone else.

fredmugs
01-13-2013, 09:10
There will be plenty of thru hikers and plenty of spring break hikers on the trail then. Odds are you'll just naturally fall into some group and there should be people near any shelter area you would probably start at.

moldy
01-13-2013, 10:20
My opinion for March 11. Start at Springer Mtn Ga. Mix in with the thru crowd. There will be plenty of other hikers your age to mingle with at the end of a day. The shelters will be full. If you end up hiking slow you can exit the trail at Unicoi Gap, Helen Ga(52 mi), If you hike fast you can make it you can egress at US-64 Winding Stair gap, Franklin NC (109 mi). The further North you start your hike the more the chance of bad weather.

MuddyWaters
01-13-2013, 18:21
Pace isnt an issue. You each hike at your own pace, then meet up at stopping pts, springs, shelters, etc. You will not be more than 5-15 min ahead of , or behind each other. It beats looking at someone elses rear end all day as well.

But that time you should have no problem meeting people, all day long. Expect quite a few each night at shelters.

Blissful
01-14-2013, 22:11
You can join Section Hikers on Facebook and maybe find a buddy.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/